Discuss the upcoming 4th movie, Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire to be released in March 2024.
Since the film came out I've noticed different people have very different interpretations of the relationship between Phoebe and Melody. Some people like myself interpret it as friendship, Phoebe is a socially awkward kid who was going through a hard time, she was looking for connection. Girls/Women can be friends without being gay!

Which brings me to other interpretation, Phoebe's gay and has a thing for Melody. I can understand this. The actresses have a ton of chemistry and it does seem to be written to be purposely ambiguous and some viewers crave representation or see any hint of a possible gay relationship as WOKE!

What do people here think?
Like you, I interpreted it as friendship. Basically a thread that continues from Afterlife, she has a hard time making friends and people to connect with. Podcast for all we know is still her only friend really and he's busy with his Repossessed show. The banter was great and made me think of two mean girls that impress each other with their level of mean on the first day of school and instant become best friends. But I can see how the latter could be interpreted given today's zeitgeist.
I guess I interpreted it as 80% platonic and maybe 20% romantic... I wonder if there was a conscious decision to leave it ambiguous so that it would be left up to audience interpretation.

It's a pity that the Phoebe and Melody plot thread has become a target online by the sort of knuckle-draggers who get riled up by the possibility of LGBTQIA+ representation, I had to ban a couple of members from the GBFans Facebook group because of the homophobic posts they'd made in regard to it.
I had this same conversation after we left the cinema. 😂 I think the intentional ambiguity of it is part of Phoebe's character. She's obviously trying to get close to Melody, but whether it's as a friend or something more is left to the viewer to decide for themselves.

Heck, Phoebe probably doesn't even know herself. Being a teen is confusing enough, and on top of that you have her inherent awkwardness and the fact that she's going through a tremendously hard time during that point in the story, like you said. She's under a lot of stress and I think that's one of the reasons she makes some of her more questionable decisions during the second act of the film.

Phoebe's still a kid, she just needs time to grow and figure herself out.
BrianReilly wrote: March 25th, 2024, 7:09 am I'm fairly certain that it was written as a queer romance and much of that got trimmed out so as not to upset that portion of the Ghostbusters fanbase.

There's literally no reason for Phoebe to become a ghost unless they are going to get physical. (or non-corporeal in this case?).
Well-said on both points. I don't mind that, since I have several friends in the LGBT community.

That's true. I wish that would've been explored further as to WHY Phoebe wanted to become a ghost, even if for two minutes. Technically, she was deceased, and her spirit wasn't placed into a trap (as it was shown earlier) for plot reasons.
BrianReilly liked this
gamera1968 wrote: March 25th, 2024, 7:15 amI wish that would've been explored further as to WHY Phoebe wanted to become a ghost, even if for two minutes. Technically, she was deceased, and her spirit wasn't placed into a trap (as it was shown earlier) for plot reasons.
Agreed. This particular plot feels like it's more fleshed out than almost any other one in the film, and even it feels like a lot got trimmed. This movie just has way too much going on.
gamera1968 liked this
I also saw it mostly as friendship, but it could be interpreted either way. In addition to reasons mentioned above, the way the situation plays out is pretty creepy, in a predatory stalker kind of way. Making it romantic could add implications that nobody really wants in that context. It's already a pretty heavy plotline without that added.

As someone who was also a tomboyish, nerdy girl, I sometimes came across as awkward and maybe kind of odd when trying to make friends or when finding someone with shared interests; none of it was romantic. I don't know, I guess teen romance is common in teen movies but it's not always necessary, nor does it accurately reflect the priorities of every teenage kid (even if it's "expected").
I read it as both at the same time. I'd rather not call it ambiguous, because I don't think it was totally intended for us to 'decide' anything. I think it's just that even Phoebe doesn't know, and it adds some intriguing stakes.
She's drawn to this soul because they are a kindred spirit (sorry), and she's fascinated with them for being both someone alone (like her), about the same age, and finds them intriguing.

It's easy as a teenager to find people like that, that you share something with, and not know why you're drawn to that person. Sometimes it's friendship, or romance, or mutual fascination, or a mix of any of those, and you don't really have the life experiences yet to even know yourself. I feel like that's what I got out of it as both an audience member, and probably something like what Phoebe was experiencing. Any or all of the above would be incredibly cool to explore further!

As an audience member, it adds some stakes to the story and can go down a lot of different ways. Will she get hurt? Will she "fall into the wrong crowd" is this person using her? Is this going to make her job as a Ghostbuster more difficult? Will she start to question the whole basis of the entire company? It raises a ton of possibilities and questions, and I *love* when movies open a lot of doors at once like that.
DancingToaster, oidoglr liked this
BrianReilly wrote: March 25th, 2024, 7:09 am I'm fairly certain that it was written as a queer romance and much of that got trimmed out so as not to upset that portion of the Ghostbusters fanbase.
More likely, to be able to release the film in countries that have extremely conservative views on LGBTQIA romances, similar to how the LGBTQIA content that is featured in Disney's and Marvel's films seems included in such a way that it can be easily trimmed (or featured in a "blink and you'll miss it" way) out for a less receptive audience.
I agree with the interpretation that neither Phoebe or Melody put a label on it, and that neither of them necessarily know what it is beyond being a shared desire for connection (from Melody because her family is gone and most people run away, from Phoebe because she's feeling sidelined, not to mention one of her previous best relationships was with a ghost, which they reference quite elegantly in Melody's introduction. If it is later stated that Gil and Jason wanted their relationship to be interpreted as queer, then I would say the movie feels cold-footed in the way Hollywood blockbusters usually are. As it stands, I think the movie leaving it open to interpretation serves the audience in the sense that you can read it however you want to.
mrmichaelt, Ectopher, Kingpin and 1 others liked this
It only crossed my mind they might be gay when Phoebe walks out of the extraction machine and they pause for a moment.

Don’t mind either way if they make her gay but I thought she wanted to know what it’s like to be a ghost because of Egon. That’s obviously why she sets up the chess game. I guess it is more about her conversation with Melody though.
I really enjoyed the Melody subplot. It was charming, and provided us an aperture to see more of Phoebe through.

Melody is a doorway through which we can see Phoebe more clearly. While Phoebe is Egon's granddaughter, and shares much in common with him, she's also perfectly different and relatable to most anybody of that age. I think the ambiguity of their relationship is intentional as well - there's a lot of "sorting out" happening at that age, as one is trying to work out their place in the world in relation to their parents, their friends, and yes - with potential romantic partners. Everything in the mid-teens is in flux, and the Melody subplot does an amazing job of showing this in shorthand. (source: I have a teenager!).

Also, to digress for a moment, I noted the introduction of a very unique piece of music to Ghostbusters that joins the scene of Gary sweetly talking to Phoebe through her bedroom door, and the scene where Phoebe and Melody are walking together. The OST piece, "ionic separator" provides us something softer, more ambient, pretty, and Jon Brion-ish than I recall hearing before, something that for me, emphasised a quality of reflection, pause, and growth... leading brilliantly up to one of the film's most dramatic sequences.

While we're on the subject of everything that occurs after the ionic separation of Phoebe's body and spirit, I want to commend the film-makers on their design choice for lower-class human ghosts. The harmless appearence of Melody not only makes her more relatable, but also allows the scene where Phoebe is possessed to have more impact. The sudden shift from harmless human manifestation to blue-eyed lovecraftian puppet was superb - I found that scene genuinely unsettling, unexpected, really well done.
Kingpin, robbritton, ShandorMiningCo and 1 others liked this
I told everyone that I didn't care what/who the main baddie(s) are as long as they don't mess up Phoebe. Now mess up and character development are waaay different. As is perception. I liked FE, so let me be clear. Ambiguity and low IQ do not mix. At my theater (1st show, natch) there were ten people that stormed out, shouting whatever (I couldn't make it out). But I finally figured out what they were reacting to:
Seems like that final shot between Phoebe and Melody lingered on screen a little too long.
As in subject to interpretation.
The uncanny valley of ambiguity and low IQ wasted no time in throwing the baby out with the bathwater.
seekandannoy liked this
I think it was a mix of both. She has a hard time finding connections though not sure if Podcast is just in the friend zone or what but a mixture of being accepted and also something new...she still loves science and still was asking her questions on things she can do but when you flatline for 2 minutes I did think that was to perhaps explore other connections and maybe that was holding her hand or a kiss? It didn't bother me in any sense either way, just wasn't expecting a dynamic like that in this story yet. I thought Gary and Callie would be more focused on the couple thing. She's not exactly had a steady life if you listen to her in Afterlife and even some lines here.
This is going to be a bit morbid, but the first and second time watching... I saw it as an allegory for cutters or people who self-harm.

Phoebe has basically been benched by the City and her family. She meets a ghost and starts to question if perhaps the world would be a better place without her in it. This seems to be reinforced more when she goes out with Podcast only to get screamed at by him for not acting quicker. Then she gets reprimanded by Winston and Peck and then told she's out of the job (and potentially the family). She sees being a ghost as a potential out, but leaves a back door open just in case. In the end, her family helps nurse her back to health and assure her she does have a place in the world which she passes on to Melody in order to help find her purpose. I honestly did not see any LGQTB relationship in the film. But you're all honestly free to disagree with me should you wish. I just wanted to share how I saw the dynamic between Phoebe and Melody.
oidoglr liked this
Boston Ghostbusters wrote: March 29th, 2024, 10:14 pm This is going to be a bit morbid, but the first and second time watching... I saw it as an allegory for cutters or people who self-harm.
Part of it could be seen like this, too. I didn't see this so much, but to me, more than anything, it had a lot of parallels to dangerous things that can happen when kids get into trouble with strangers that they're keeping secret from their parents. I think it is still what bothers me about the direction of the storyline in the movie... like we're supposed to see Melody as sympathetic, and she is (to an extent), but she did some really messed up stuff. Some of the scenes, particularly when Gary is talking to the empty room and then the movie cuts to Melody appearing over Phoebe's shoulder before going to the lab, could be read as a bit, uh..groomer-ish, and the ghost machine stuff made it even darker. This is also part of why I lean toward the more "friendship" interpretation - anything else, specifically in the context the movie sets up, could end up in really negative territory.

Yes, Melody was reluctant to bring Phoebe to Garraka, and she cried a little when Phoebe got possessed, but she did it all anyway and still took forever to acknowledge that she was wrong. I'm guessing that Garraka couldn't communicate with the other ghosts until Nadeem removed the orb from the brass room... so probably not all that long ago. In that short time, did Melody ever question whether or not Garraka was lying or manipulating her (he didn't really seem to be controlling her like the others, but this could have been clearer), or did she just hear this demon voice one day and decided that he was probably right? This is the type of stuff that could have a little more explanation if they insisted on making her such an important character.

I actually thought her first appearance playing chess was kind of funny. They could have left it there, perhaps with a short discussion about what Phoebe does as a "job," and just made it a moment that caused Phoebe to question more about what ghosts think about and feel.
I may be a bit biased since I love to see representation in series I enjoy, but I totally thought Phoebe and Melody had a little romance going on. While I love the idea of feelings being mutual, I think it seems that the romance was one sided with Phoebe having a crush on Melody. Going so far as to leave her body for two minutes just to be able to be physically close with Melody is complete crushing behavior, at least for me. And I think the element of romance heightens the tension of the story a lot. A one sided romance ending in betrayal and then a somber, knowing look at the end—Are you kidding me?! Heart wrenching. Also, Phoebe saying “Was any of it real?” hits so much harder in a romantic context. I understand if someone else interprets their relationship differently, though.
Sony like Disney legal team going to catch hell for this bc MG is a minor till June, any suggestive content for a minor no parental permission has legal protection, tiktok is already blowing up with pedos, not to mention her actress career is going to take a hit for this, anyone dumb enough to verbally or publicly display suggestive content will be flagged by fbi cyber crimes, contacted maybe fined
GB4EVER32 wrote: March 31st, 2024, 9:14 pm Sony like Disney legal team going to catch hell for this bc MG is a minor till June, any suggestive content for a minor no parental permission has legal protection, tiktok is already blowing up with pedos, not to mention her actress career is going to take a hit for this, anyone dumb enough to verbally or publicly display suggestive content will be flagged by fbi cyber crimes, contacted maybe fined
(◔_◔)

No idea what Disney thing you're talking about but while it is of course true that child stars are often exploited and people can be creepy to them, nobody is getting in legal trouble over the content of Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire. Even if it had been made explicit in the movie that Phoebe had a crush on Melody, nothing would have happened. Teenagers are depicted as having crushes in movies and television all the time.
Kingpin liked this
Could be a little bit of Column A, little bit of Column B. Kid's still figuring out who they are. Maybe the scientist within rolled the dice with an experiment to learn more about themselves. But there is a reason that's neither platonic nor romantic to connect for Phoebe to follow Melody down a rabbit hole.

Phoebe's ability to connect with a ghost in Afterlife was a life-changing event. Connecting with Egon not only dislodged the whole family from uncertainty—it wound up being a profoundly healing event for all involved. It led to new revelations about self and purpose. And it even led the whole family out of poverty by way of a bankrolled move to New York.

I've seen a few critics lambast Phoebe's decision to take Melody into the lab as uncharacteristically foolish, but... given the results of bonding with a ghost back in Oklahoma, it totally makes sense. Who wouldn't visit a lab with a ghost again after all of those positive results?
Phoebe and Melody clearly have a romantically charged relationship.

Their conversations are flirty and probing. Phoebe doesn't give a hoot what Podcast, her only other friend, thinks of what she says and does, but she quivers at Melody's every reaction and utterance. She's embarrassed, shy, seeking approval, and ultimately separates her soul from her body to interact more intimately with Melody.

Wendy don't need to soul-separate to hang with Casper.
Like many of you, I interpreted it as friendship. Basically when watching the Afterlife movie, Phoebe has a hard time making friends and connecting with people. Podcast is still her only friend really and it looks like he's been busy with his Repossessed show and hanging out with Ray Stantz.

Phoebe's ability to connect with her grandfather's ghost in Afterlife was a life-changing event for her and her whole family.

People can connect to other people, that is how friendships are created.

A new update has gone through. Some bug fixes but […]

From what I can tell, the variations are for dista[…]

End papers printed for the prototype: https://i[…]

Cool, should work fine for you. Let me know how it[…]