Discuss the upcoming 4th movie, Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire to be released in March 2024.
By Denike
Wasn’t it suggested that the containment unit explosion cause a rip in the fabric of the universe … or something like that? And that the firehouse was a potential gateway?

So will we see a crossover with the 2016 ghostbusters? ;)
RiverofSlime liked this
By RealGhostbusterJay
While this may have some spoilers in it so be warned...

I didn't mind it as a follow up film. As referenced some things I wish we would see again and the end credits set up like the first two films. It's like Solo and Rogue One not having a star wars crawl...but the same ending credits. Either do them both or none and I don't think doing none works for these.

I liked seeing the firehouse and really seeing it this time. The Ecto...But the PRC was nice too...maybe not the venue but a nice start. I'd like to see more with that as the main deposit area and the containment unit in the firehouse being dismantled...twice now it's gone boom.

I would really like to see other setups. Other cities, other countries. Heck the last two GB films were filmed mainly in Canada and the UK. Lets get some teams going there. Dan and Ernie can stop in and help set up in some episode pilots. Busters and then engineers like this last film. I liked that. even in Spirits Unleashed. Callie can't cook food well save for one dish from Phoebe let alone fix a Proton Pack. Having actual techs do this was a great thing.

For the main team having Patten join I would like. I was on the fence about him and Nadeem and I found I really liked them in this s tory. Podcast needs more though. Either have him bust or don't have him. He should be wearing a belt and kit now...not the hand written patch suit.

Peck...I would really have seen the game idea that he is an oversight manager because frankly...he was the reason the damned unit blew the first time. He didn't heed warnings or seek environmental protections to do so safely so it would have been fair to see him have to earn a place in the ladder of civil servants again while also keeping the group more in line with how this type of tech could be viewed...especially with kids using it...something I disliked the first time round but its a small town. NYC is a DIFFERENT story.

Loved a new villain but found the lead up to him...better then what happened when he was out frankly. Viggo was sort of the same...big talk...low shock. I'd like to see a series or a 2 part film where the threat is coming and then gets here and then its a big bedlam everywhere.

I would like to see the OG's running things in a way where Ernie is the CEO but Dan runs the firehouse itself. Bill can step in at press things and speak for the group. I still feel Dan was rather put aside and it makes no sense...why would he just let Ernies character run the place and NOT be involved. He's more part of the story in the Spirits Unleashed game then here though a better use of him then the previous film. All of them really. I think most of us are OK with the three OG's running the business and not throwing packs on every film. Just give us meaningful use of them. We don't see Dana this film but what about Ernie's characters family, where are they?

In short...lets fast track some things here. Get the business moving to new places similar to the ROTGL game and make the team that runs out of NYC more connected and something beyond a name or face...Trevor...what does he DO?
One time liked this
By tylergfoster
RichardLess wrote: March 29th, 2024, 2:41 amOk. No offense to the people that you talk to but that’s not really something average people care about. Maybe after a trailer comes out and it looks like shit. Ok I’ll buy that. People will say that after they’ve seen some footage But not too many John and Jane Q public are going “Nope I won’t see that movie it’s a cash grab”. That’s not a thing. After they see a bad trailer? Sure. People love to complain mostly about CGI and superhero movies. I don’t know who you are talking to but “cash grab”. It’s such a generic meaningless complaint too. It means nothing. What, all the other movies were done for kindness? For the “art” of it. No. If somethings a sequel, saying it’s a cash grab is about as good of an observation as “it’s in colour”.
I didn't say I thought it was a worthwhile complaint, I just said, yes, John and Jane Q public specifically, all the time, make this kind of comment. I am sure, from that audience specifically, I have heard that tossed off about a movie they don't want to see no less than a million times. We're talking coworkers, people who came into the Blockbuster or AMC where I worked, friends of family, people you make small talk with on airplanes. Nobody I know and talk to regularly, because those people are not John and Jane Q public, those are people who are passionate about movies and who have more complex and informed thoughts on movies. This is the mind of the average moviegoer. The mass audience. I don't know if they care about it -- it wouldn't surprise me if every single one of them had a different interpretation of what it meant to be "a cash grab" beyond being a stand-in for "I don't want to see that movie" (kind of like you said, it's so generic it has no meaning) -- but that is definitely a thing the average person says.
RichardLess wrote: March 29th, 2024, 2:41 amAn R rated Ghostbusters makes it lose that “ugh just another sequel” stink. It’s just different enough.
I may have said this before, and I mean this in a "friendly rivalry" way, but I would like to peek at a world where your strategies were the route Sony took, just so we could see how off the mark some of your ideas are. I think you'd really be quite surprised how fully they do not pan out the way you expect them to.
RichardLess wrote: March 29th, 2024, 2:41 amAs for Kevin Hart. A few years back I was in a conversation with a producer who was talking about why Hollywood won’t be satisfied with streaming. His point was Hollywood is an Ego driven place and nowhere is that ego stroked more than opening number 1 at the box office. Kevin Hart is basically making straight to DVD movies of the streaming era. His agents might be fine with that. But 5-8 years ago it seemed like he was The Man. He had great rapport with The Rock. His career is definitely in decline.
Look, I agree with you on streaming. Like I said, it's vaporware. However, yeah, Kevin Hart had a bunch of #1 movies at the box office, movies he signed up to do based on a combination of his own desire and potentially at least some advice from those agents. He had the pick of projects, and even you still think he's an obvious value added element, so it's not like he's unappealing. Do you not think he's doing those streaming movies because he wants to do them, to work with the people involved, for whatever he gets out of it return (whether that's the pay, the creative freedom, the convenience to his schedule, etc)? My guess is that Hart looked at Adam Sandler, who was also opening movies all the time and then largely left theatrical movies to work for Netflix, and wanted to have that arrangement, and does not think his star has fallen. You and I think streaming sucks compared to theatrical, but if Hart doesn't, and Hart thinks those movies are treating him exactly how he wants to be treated, then said ego is sated. Lots of people online have observed that the movie star is dead, the person who could guarantee you a #1 opening just by being in something, and my guess is that Hart is of a generation that is not chasing that kind of #1. He just wants to be a brand that everyone knows instantly, and he is, so, that's his version of stardom.
By mrmichaelt
Denike wrote: March 29th, 2024, 4:32 am Wasn’t it suggested that the containment unit explosion cause a rip in the fabric of the universe … or something like that? And that the firehouse was a potential gateway?
The first time the ECU was shut down, the momentary blast of spiritual energy created a rift = the cross-rip that aided in Gozer's arrival. And it sounds like that rift didn't close entirely. I see some ppl are mistaking the ECU as the rift but no. Which then means NYC was always haunted but btw GB1 and 2 they were restricted from going on calls+people stopped reported and/or PKE levels dropped low enough and btw AL and FE also people stopped reporting. It was just...luck I guess there was no big bad coming/released by accident during these lulls. Shrug.
By RichardLess
I may have said this before, and I mean this in a "friendly rivalry" way, but I would like to peek at a world where your strategies were the route Sony took, just so we could see how off the mark some of your ideas are. I think you'd really be quite surprised how fully they do not pan out the way you expect them to.
That would be a mad, mad world indeed. Look, I’m not saying this is a guarantee or that it even has a better than 50% chance of working.

But it’s something different.

Right now there’s a stink on this franchise. Doing the same shit isn’t going to work. Making bold moves, losing some of the “4 quadrant” MCU Ghostcorp shit would go a long way with critics.

I would’ve loved to see how that QT Star Trek thing panned out so we could have some sort of concrete example. I think everyone who knows this town knew that movie was NEVER happening but for awhile there people were excited about Star Trek.

And look as much as I want trust the guy who said Kevin Feige wasn’t calling most of the shots on Sony’s Spider-Man movies, I think I’ll stick with what I know (i’m sorry. That was mean. I couldn’t resist. Hey. after reading the Flash script I thought it was going to huge & I’ll never live that down. I predicted Afterlife’s domestic almost exactly. Off by a few hundred dollars. But at my last job I’ll be forever known as the guy who thought Flash would be huge)
By tylergfoster
RichardLess wrote: March 29th, 2024, 8:22 pmAnd look as much as I want trust the guy who said Kevin Feige wasn’t calling most of the shots on Sony’s Spider-Man movies, I think I’ll stick with what I know.
You were making a joke, but what I said was that Sony does most of the work making the movies. Sony comes up with people they want to hire and ideas they want to explore, and Feige comes in and tweaks and/or approves them. Then Sony goes off and does the actual production, post-production, marketing, and release of the movie, which puts Feige's participation at something like 15-20% of the process. The point was that it's not like Feige comes in with a completed script, cast, and crew, and then Sony just executes it, which is legitimately what the Marvel stans seem to think. I'm sure Feige loved No Way Home, especially given how successful it was both commercially and artistically, but while Feige probably explained the idea of the multiverse to Pascal, I gotta go out on a limb and suggest that the movie being a celebration of Sony's history with Spider-Man is probably not something that Feige came up with (and, notice how nicely it goes with the Spider-Verse movies, which Marvel Studios is not involved with at all).

Sony -- or in the case of the main Spider-Man movies, Amy Pascal -- is steering, and Feige is in the passenger seat as a navigator. (And, love her or hate her, we can see what it looks like when Pascal is not steering a Spider-Man project, which would be Morbius, Madame Web, and the upcoming Kraven the Hunter.)
By RichardLess
tylergfoster wrote: March 29th, 2024, 11:28 pm
RichardLess wrote: March 29th, 2024, 8:22 pmAnd look as much as I want trust the guy who said Kevin Feige wasn’t calling most of the shots on Sony’s Spider-Man movies, I think I’ll stick with what I know.
You were making a joke, but what I said was that Sony does most of the work making the movies. Sony comes up with people they want to hire and ideas they want to explore, and Feige comes in and tweaks and/or approves them. Then Sony goes off and does the actual production, post-production, marketing, and release of the movie, which puts Feige's participation at something like 15-20% of the process. The point was that it's not like Feige comes in with a completed script, cast, and crew, and then Sony just executes it, which is legitimately what the Marvel stans seem to think. I'm sure Feige loved No Way Home, especially given how successful it was both commercially and artistically, but while Feige probably explained the idea of the multiverse to Pascal, I gotta go out on a limb and suggest that the movie being a celebration of Sony's history with Spider-Man is probably not something that Feige came up with (and, notice how nicely it goes with the Spider-Verse movies, which Marvel Studios is not involved with at all).

Sony -- or in the case of the main Spider-Man movies, Amy Pascal -- is steering, and Feige is in the passenger seat as a navigator. (And, love her or hate her, we can see what it looks like when Pascal is not steering a Spider-Man project, which would be Morbius, Madame Web, and the upcoming Kraven the Hunter.)
I was joking but…

I take it you haven’t read “MCU The Reign of the Marvel Universe” by Joanna Robinson & Dave Gonzales? Check it out. It’s a really good warts and all telling. That book set the record straight.

Kevin Feige ran the Tom Holland Spider-Man movies the way he ran Disney productions. He picked the director, the writers, the actor, where it was shot and all the rest.

This is what the issue was when Disney and Sony came to loggerheads way back when during the break between Holland Spider-Man 2 and 3. Disney didn’t want them getting Kevin’s time and energy for free and so they changed the terms of the deal.

Sony does their own thing with the Venom movies and all the other stuff. The animated movies? That’s totally them. But anything MCU related? That’s Kevin.

Anyways I didn’t want to go into all this again I was just being an ass. Seriously check out of the book though.
By WCat2000
BatDan wrote: March 29th, 2024, 3:43 pm https://movieweb.com/dan-aykroyd-tease ... se-future/
Wow I was just thinking exactly that yesterday. That the Mini Pufts stole the truck to combine and become giant again. Had no idea Gil Kenan implied that.

Obviously I love the Mini Pufts/Stay Puft and it would be cool to see him full size again...but I really do NOT want him/them to be a villain anymore. They were clearly nice before Garraka’s trance. They wanted to greet Phoebe. I have to assume they’re back to being independent since Garraka was trapped.

What they should do is introduce a new evil giant and have giant Stay Puft fight them like in the cartoon.
By mrmichaelt
Or more Mini-Pufts are created and they are mobile. Other cities are infected to the point they are a commonplace pest like mice, rats, roaches etc. so the team has to go to other cities or even justifying franchises opening. Or that funny idea or a type of Mini-Puft Trap sold in stores by Zeddemore Industries that can be resealed and mailed to the Paranormal Research Center. :D
By WCat2000
mrmichaelt wrote: March 30th, 2024, 1:12 am Or more Mini-Pufts are created and they are mobile. Other cities are infected to the point they are a commonplace pest like mice, rats, roaches etc. so the team has to go to other cities or even justifying franchises opening. Or that funny idea or a type of Mini-Puft Trap sold in stores by Zeddemore Industries that can be resealed and mailed to the Paranormal Research Center. :D
I can see them infesting NY. I think spreading to other cities would be a stretch since they don’t fly like typical ghosts.

I was wondering if maybe Slimer would meet the Mini Pufts and try to eat them but gets scolded with a ghost trap so they end up frenemies like Tom and Jerry.

Haha, that could have been why Ray keeps them in his bookstore.
By mrmichaelt
WCat2000 wrote: March 30th, 2024, 1:45 am I can see them infesting NY. I think spreading to other cities would be a stretch since they don’t fly like typical ghosts.
I suppose they can only get as far they can driving and/or before they crash. More likely to crash before running out of gas. A pocket of the East Coast infested with Mini-Pufts then. Guess it depends where that truck stop was. Could well be heading to northern New York, Pennsylvania or to... New Jersey. :P
By WCat2000
mrmichaelt wrote: March 30th, 2024, 2:12 am
WCat2000 wrote: March 30th, 2024, 1:45 am I can see them infesting NY. I think spreading to other cities would be a stretch since they don’t fly like typical ghosts.
I suppose they can only get as far they can driving and/or before they crash. More likely to crash before running out of gas. A pocket of the East Coast infested with Mini-Pufts then. Guess it depends where that truck stop was. Could well be heading to northern New York, Pennsylvania or to... New Jersey. :P
I’m wondering how they got to the gas station. They’re previously seen in the Ecto-1

All I can think of is Trevor stops for gas and they get out to mess around until the truck gets there.
By mrmichaelt
WCat2000 wrote:I’m wondering how they got to the gas station. They’re previously seen in the Ecto-1

All I can think of is Trevor stops for gas and they get out to mess around until the truck gets there.
It was something I have jotted down to pay attention for when I go back to see it again but my theory is these are the Mini-Pufts that were kept in the containment terrarium at the Paranormal Research Center and escaped when Garraka escaped the orb. Presumably the exteriors used for filming are honored and the PRC is on northern Staten Island. And this truck stop/gas station is nearby. Would be a nice nod to GB1 bts if it were a Sunoco Gas Station.
WCat2000 liked this
By tylergfoster
RichardLess wrote: March 30th, 2024, 12:51 amKevin Feige ran the Tom Holland Spider-Man movies the way he ran Disney productions. He picked the director, the writers, the actor, where it was shot and all the rest.
I'd have to read the book for myself, because I often say things to you on here and what you interpret is being said from what I wrote is not something I ever could've predicted. Frankly, what you describe, even if Feige does come in with all of those decisions already made and Sony has to follow them, that still matches my description of his primary participation being the early stages of the development process. Furthermore, Pascal and Feige have described their working relationship in interviews and it certainly doesn't sound like Feige makes all those choices by himself in a vacuum, not to mention there have been multiple reports about Disney being annoyed at the way Sony chooses to release and market their Spider-Man movies in relation to what the MCU is doing, suggesting, as I said, that Sony does things without consulting them.

To clarify the point I had been making about those movies: MCU fans (and to be fair, this has died down significantly since No Way Home) had a tendency to behave like the Holland Spider-Man movies were akin to a school group project where one student does all the actual work, and then everyone presents it in class. Even if Feige dictates who the main creative team is going to be, they then go and produce a movie that both Feige and Sony approve, and Sony still has to actually make the movie, edit it, finish post-production, market, and release it. I'm sure he's around to sign off on all the important stuff, but it's not like Feige is on set calling the shots and the Sony people are in their offices twiddling their thumbs.
By gerard55
The big elephant in the room with the containment unit being breached is where is Gozer? Was Gozer in the main containment unit? Was it split up into the units Winston had built (doubtful as they're only unveiled in this movie so seemingly only finished)? Is it still split up in traps in a random field with some kind of power supply attached? Did it escape with the others when Garraka breached the unit? Surprised it wasn't mentioned given the finale of afterlife.
One time liked this
By groschopf
It absolutely made sense to follow in the footsteps of RGB and jump right in to showing us Ghostbusters busting ghosts and eschewing the first act of every other Ghostbusters film where they brought the group together. Absolutely wonderful call.

I'd like to see the next outing more in the spirit of EGB—keep an OG or two around as mentors, concentrate on a core crew of young 'busters, introduce new gear, and bring everything up to the modern era.
By groschopf
And just to expand on part of that...I love the classic gear and car, but it's time for a refresh.

What made the first Ghostbusters so successful was grounding the film firmly in reality and contrasting that with the heightened absurdity of the supernatural. It's just not believable to see tech as old as rotary dial phones still in use in era with smartphones. Ghostbusters would constantly be upgrading their gear in real life. They'd be using readily available off-the-shelf parts or recent surplus to build and maintain gear, not hard-to-find components from the 20th century.

Men in Black had the good sense to show the technological progression of the neuralizer as a room-sized device in their time traveling MIB 3. Packs in this era should accordingly be smaller... or do a lot more with the same amount of space. The meters should be more than flashing lights. The car shouldn't be a literal antique.

I get that a lot of us here cherish the original tech—in large part because we spent so much time when we were younger studying it and trying to replicate it as props. But we risk the franchise losing relevancy if we're stuck in dogma about details like Clippard valves and banjo fittings.

Tech is integral to Ghostbusters stories. It's time to update. Ghost Corps either already has or should be able to find some designers that really understand what worked with the original aesthetics. Bring it all up to current day.
By RiverofSlime
Denike wrote: March 29th, 2024, 4:32 am Wasn’t it suggested that the containment unit explosion cause a rip in the fabric of the universe … or something like that? And that the firehouse was a potential gateway?

So will we see a crossover with the 2016 ghostbusters? ;)
100% I think this was looking likely if Frozen Empire did well and the franchise kept on moving strong.
By RiverofSlime
groschopf wrote: April 1st, 2024, 8:58 pm And just to expand on part of that...I love the classic gear and car, but it's time for a refresh.

What made the first Ghostbusters so successful was grounding the film firmly in reality and contrasting that with the heightened absurdity of the supernatural. It's just not believable to see tech as old as rotary dial phones still in use in era with smartphones. Ghostbusters would constantly be upgrading their gear in real life. They'd be using readily available off-the-shelf parts or recent surplus to build and maintain gear, not hard-to-find components from the 20th century.

Men in Black had the good sense to show the technological progression of the neuralizer as a room-sized device in their time traveling MIB 3. Packs in this era should accordingly be smaller... or do a lot more with the same amount of space. The meters should be more than flashing lights. The car shouldn't be a literal antique.

I get that a lot of us here cherish the original tech—in large part because we spent so much time when we were younger studying it and trying to replicate it as props. But we risk the franchise losing relevancy if we're stuck in dogma about details like Clippard valves and banjo fittings.

Tech is integral to Ghostbusters stories. It's time to update. Ghost Corps either already has or should be able to find some designers that really understand what worked with the original aesthetics. Bring it all up to current day.
Couldn't agree more with this.

Though I'm not sure why any of the changes we saw in Frozen Empire took place, ESPECIALLY, after seeing the actual film.

Was it just me, or was Lucky the only one who actually wore one of those parkas for an appreciable amount of time?
By Davideverona
RiverofSlime wrote: April 1st, 2024, 11:28 pm
groschopf wrote: April 1st, 2024, 8:58 pm And just to expand on part of that...I love the classic gear and car, but it's time for a refresh.

Couldn't agree more with this.

Though I'm not sure why any of the changes we saw in Frozen Empire took place, ESPECIALLY, after seeing the actual film.

Was it just me, or was Lucky the only one who actually wore one of those parkas for an appreciable amount of time?
Maybe what Egon conceived in 1984 was well ahead of its time and in this 40 years span there hasn't been someone able to come up with a way to improve the original concept. We have to remember that he was a genius.

Now that Lars came aboard, maybe we'll see some effective updates to the tech.
RiverofSlime liked this
By tylergfoster

I can go both ways on this one. Since the proton pack is a fictional item, I can live with the visual design not changing significantly (although I did also love the 2016 movie's approach to the tech by showing Holtzmann improving it throughout the movie -- one of the things I really wish the movie had was a shot of the back of the rolling cart version that showed the lit-up red ring on the back, because that would finish "selling" the idea of that turning into the backpack version later). I can even justify the car in that the car is already geared up for all the things they need, and it has the space to hold the packs and everything -- the hard part is justifying the actual car aspect, because parts for an old car like that are probably way pricier.
By timeware
mrmichaelt wrote: March 30th, 2024, 2:55 am
WCat2000 wrote:I’m wondering how they got to the gas station. They’re previously seen in the Ecto-1

It was something I have jotted down to pay attention for when I go back to see it again but my theory is these are the Mini-Pufts that were kept in the containment terrarium at the Paranormal Research Center and escaped when Garraka escaped the orb. Presumably the exteriors used for filming are honored and the PRC is on northern Staten Island. And this truck stop/gas station is nearby. Would be a nice nod to GB1 bts if it were a Sunoco Gas Station.
The icing on the cake would have been showing exit signs leaving us to speculate on a new franchise. Jason could have had the mini pufts climbing about the windshield like the liberty commercial.

mrmichaelt liked this
By hutto
A streaming show where Phoebe Spengler travels around solving mysteries, busting ghosts, and telling bad jokes. Like a kid Ghostbuster Macguyver She Wrote.

Pinfeld made her almost irrelevant. I thought he was going to be high pitched voice condescending English man but, I ended up wondering why he wasn't in it more. If they are going to keep with the family, they need defined roles. They are just there because it was better than being stuck in Oklahoma. If they want to keep business as it is, I'd rather no more movies.
By SpaceBallz
I think if they do smaller scale stories rather than world ending threats, it'd make for a cheaper budget and better story. I know people keep going back to RGB and their villains, but I really think a Boogeyman movie where he goes after Spengler's decedents would be great. Maybe even Grooberson remembers seeing him when he was a kid and is scared to death of him too.
mrmichaelt liked this
By Hairy Biker
The issue with using RGB characters is even though they were based on actual myths and legends the can't take the cartoon version and drop it in the film without having to pay rights to the writers who came up with those characterisations, at least thats my understanding.

An example is Tom Paris in Star Trek Voyager.
He was meant to be Nick Lorcano, but was discovered that every time the character appeared they'd need to pay the writers who came up with him hence the name change.

It could be the same here. I'm not saying it is, but it could be.
By tylergfoster
Hairy Biker wrote: April 4th, 2024, 4:10 pm The issue with using RGB characters is even though they were based on actual myths and legends the can't take the cartoon version and drop it in the film without having to pay rights to the writers who came up with those characterisations, at least thats my understanding.

An example is Tom Paris in Star Trek Voyager.
He was meant to be Nick Lorcano, but was discovered that every time the character appeared they'd need to pay the writers who came up with him hence the name change.

It could be the same here. I'm not saying it is, but it could be.
Well, I think there's a general approval of it being like the cartoon. I don't think it needs to actually recreate something from the cartoon. This one felt like the cartoon and didn't borrow its baddie, so why would the next one?

A new update has gone through. Some bug fixes but […]

From what I can tell, the variations are for dista[…]

End papers printed for the prototype: https://i[…]

Cool, should work fine for you. Let me know how it[…]