Hey guys!

I just got my Haslab PP this morning, and I just installed the Alice frame.. but I noticed that the pack doesn't stand by its own with the Alice frame.

Seems that the frame might sit too high, so when placed on the ground, the Base never touches the floor.

Is this a common thing? If so, I feel like they kinda screw the whole point of having an Alice Frame. I guess they had to put it a bit higher for weight distribution and not breaking the motherboard...

Has anyone thought about ways to fix or change this? I know a new motherboard is on the board, but it's probably too early on the game...
TobinsGuide wrote: January 19th, 2023, 9:42 pm Full sized Proton Packs won't stand up on an ALICE frame.

Ones you may have seen standing before were probably the 85% size Spirit Halloween packs. Those will stand on an ALICE frame.
Ooh I didn't know that. I thought full size do stand up, at least I've seen some. Maybe I got confused because videobob was saying that if a Proton Pack doesn't stand by its own is not a good one lol
dantonvfx wrote: January 19th, 2023, 11:11 pm
TobinsGuide wrote: January 19th, 2023, 9:42 pm Full sized Proton Packs won't stand up on an ALICE frame.

Ones you may have seen standing before were probably the 85% size Spirit Halloween packs. Those will stand on an ALICE frame.
Ooh I didn't know that. I thought full size do stand up, at least I've seen some. Maybe I got confused because videobob was saying that if a Proton Pack doesn't stand by its own is not a good one lol
Wow. He did say that.

They definitely aren't mounted on the screen used pack to function as a stand. Every example I can find of a screen used pack is on a guitar stand, a mannequin, or propped against a wall. Heck, the part he uses as a stand doesn't EXIST on an LC1 and is only possible with an LC2 or milspec.

I saw a few images in a Google image search of packs standing up and when I clicked on them, they mostly turned out to be Bob's packs. Ben of Kents' packs stand... barely. I found a modified ANOVOS that stands. A stock ANOVOS shouldn't.

Here are some high end replicas with a lot of photos:

A "perfect" copy of the Venkman pack, said to be more accurate than the original:

https://indierevolver.com/2016/04/13/th ... -pictures/

As you can see, the frame is mounted too high to stand.

My guess would be that if the stand feature is intentional, it was designed for the LC2. The milspec LC1-style frames copy the LC2 "stand". But the mounting placement on screen used packs is designed around using an LC1 and that placement is kept even when an LC2 or milspec is used.

If you mount it low enough, I guess it WILL stand. I don't think it's mounted that low on real props. Either because the mounting placement was designed with an LC1 in mind or because a lower placement will draw your eye away from the round silhouette of the cyclotron.

If the kidney pads are on your kidneys, the frame is probably in the right place. I have a feeling the lower frame placement would put the kidney pads on your butt.

My full-size homemade proton pack sits upright, just fine on an ALICE frame w/out a stand. (Rothco LC-1 frame w/ the kidney pads sitting on my kidneys)
Corey91 liked this
A full size pack should stand on the alice frame. I've scratch built 3 of them, and they all stand (some better than others, due to weight distribution).

A properly mounted frame will have the foam bar a few inches below the top of the pack, so that the pack stands fairly high above the shoulders:

Another issue with the included haslab alice mount is that it isn't spaced as far from the pack as the film props.

Here's a good shot of a properly mounted alice frame:
Last edited by dhenley on January 20th, 2023, 1:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gamera1968 liked this
gamera1968 wrote: January 20th, 2023, 12:56 pm

My full-size homemade proton pack sits upright, just fine on an ALICE frame w/out a stand. (Rothco LC-1 frame w/ the kidney pads sitting on my kidneys)
Where did you mount the frame, though? I'm pretty sure the screen accurate mounting doesn't allow that.
gamera1968 liked this
dantonvfx wrote: January 20th, 2023, 1:50 pm SO I'm confused now haha....

Should it stand by itself with an Alice frame or not?
There are a lot of weight distribution variables, but the vast majority of film-accurate looking packs I've seen and all I've built stand on their own.

Balanced between the bottom of the cyclotron and corners of the frame where the kidney strap attaches.

I haven't attached my haslab pack to a frame yet, but it appears that it mounts much closer to the frame than what is typically seen, this creates a much smaller base to balance on, and could be problematic. The lack of a top spacer also tilts the pack forward which may make it not balance. Adding correct spacers (top and bottom) should solve this.
My Benofkent pack stands up only when the wand isn't attached, but that's once I swapped out the Spengler Wand for something more legit, which added to the weight.

Whoever the whole thing about a proton pack being able to stand on it's own or it ain't the real mccoy is just a bit of BS from VideoBob, since you can see in most of his vids that his alice pack sits pretty close to the motherboard and nearer to the bottom. Not that more accurate packs can't do this, and if you can get yours stand on it's own without the alice frame being positioned too low, then cool, but I wouldn't worry about it much (yes I know that's hard for a lot of builders on here including myself haha).

EDIT: Try and keep the heavy electronics/battery as low on that pack as possible to help weight distribution if you are super concerned about it though.
Every picture of one I've seen standing on its own is using an LC2 or milspec frame. Again, I don't think an LC1 works because the kidney pad connector area/"base" is much smaller.

I have not seen a screen-used pack standing freely. The correct mounting for those was based on the LC1, where it shouldn't have been possible.

The bottom lip of the frame should stop roughly four inches above the bottom of the cyclotron and should be flush with edge of the outer ring around the bottom cyclotron lights.

Again, it probably will stand if you mount it lower. I do not think that was an intended feature and I've never seen a screen-used pack do this.
oidoglr, kahuna900 liked this
TobinsGuide wrote: January 20th, 2023, 1:20 pm
gamera1968 wrote: January 20th, 2023, 12:56 pm

Where did you mount the frame, though? I'm pretty sure the screen accurate mounting doesn't allow that.
I understand that it's not screen accurate, but it's just easier for me.
That, and the way I have it mounted, my pack feels more comfortable to wear all day. (about 20 pounds or so)
I mounted my ALICE frame towards the bottom of the cyclotron. On all packs, there's a small foot on the very bottom that is about 1 inch long. That foot is there for a reason. :D

I will also be mounting the LC-1 Rothco frame on my Afterlife pack the same way.
And no, I don't have to drill any more mounting holes. ;)
gamera1968 wrote: January 21st, 2023, 11:31 am
TobinsGuide wrote: January 20th, 2023, 1:20 pm

That, and the way I have it mounted, my pack feels more comfortable to wear all day. (about 20 pounds or so)
I mounted my ALICE frame towards the bottom of the cyclotron. On all packs, there's a small foot on the very bottom that is about 1 inch long. That foot is there for a reason. :D

I will also be mounting the LC-1 Rothco frame on my Afterlife pack the same way.
Could you explain how please? Since the haslab has the holes for the screws very defined, I don't see how are you gonna attatch the LC1 lower without drilling.
dantonvfx wrote: January 21st, 2023, 4:05 pm
gamera1968 wrote: January 21st, 2023, 11:31 am

Could you explain how please? Since the haslab has the holes for the screws very defined, I don't see how are you gonna attatch the LC1 lower without drilling.
I'll post some pics after the paint dries. (3 coats Rustoleum 3X Flat Black) I will also be doing the aux input for the built-in speaker to a Bluetooth speaker. After that, then I will post some pics. :)
dhenley wrote: January 20th, 2023, 1:18 pm A full size pack should stand on the alice frame. I've scratch built 3 of them, and they all stand (some better than others, due to weight distribution).

A properly mounted frame will have the foam bar a few inches below the top of the pack, so that the pack stands fairly high above the shoulders:

Another issue with the included haslab alice mount is that it isn't spaced as far from the pack as the film props.

Here's a good shot of a properly mounted alice frame:
Thank you very much for backing me up. And as you show it here, the way the pack is mounted on the LC-1 ALICE frame is canon to the movies. And I can confirm that my homemade pack does sit as shown in the bottom photo. I will also be mounting the ALICE frame on my Haslab pack in the same manner. :)
Okay, so I finally got around to putting an LC1 frame on my haslab pack. Mounted as they intended, it will NOT stand on it's own.

1) No spacers at the top of the frame, this tilts the pack too much
2) Spacers are too short at the bottom of the frame
3) Pack is very top heavy
4) Frame sits about 3/8 - 1/2" too high on the pack

I would probably start with setting up the spacers like the pack in the previous post photo, that may not be enough to get it to stand, but it would look more accurate. To get it to stand you'd likely need to change the spacers, lower the frame by 1/2", and perhaps even relocate the battery.
dantonvfx wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 10:23 pm Thanks for the explanation, yeah si what I thought too..m

I'm looking forward for the way that Gamera1968 says he has to make it stand without drilling anything new...
As soon as I have the pack back together, I will post some photos - most likely sometime this weekend. :)
gamera1968 wrote: January 25th, 2023, 10:47 am
dantonvfx wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 10:23 pm Thanks for the explanation, yeah si what I thought too..m

I'm looking forward for the way that Gamera1968 says he has to make it stand without drilling anything new...
As soon as I have the pack back together, I will post some photos - most likely sometime this weekend. :)
I'm looking forward for it!! Thanks so much!
dantonvfx wrote: January 30th, 2023, 12:10 pm
gamera1968 wrote: January 25th, 2023, 10:47 am

I'm looking forward for it!! Thanks so much!
My Haslab pack conversion (late 80's) is finally done!

Here's the thread I started and shows the pack sitting upright by itself with no stand.
https://www.gbfans.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 0#p4978040

I mounted the LC-1 ALICE frame as close as I could towards the very bottom, so the foot on the bottom of the cyclotron serves it's purpose. No additional drilling was done.
In canon, the proton packs can sit on the floor by themselves without the use of any stands.

I also wrapped each of the mounting clips in black electrical tape so they sit snug against the frame.
I also used the included spacers laid vertically like this [] behind both the top, and bottom mounting clips. I also used small pieces of 6mm EVA foam behind the side mounting clips to prevent any wiggle.
My frame isn't going anywhere and it's not loose.
UEF wrote: January 31st, 2023, 9:54 am
gamera1968 wrote: January 31st, 2023, 7:41 am
In canon, the proton packs can sit on the floor by themselves without the use of any stands.
When did this happen in the films?
I recall seeing a promo shot of Bill and Dan with a pack sitting on the floor.
I can't find it at the moment, but it's out there.

Here is a reference photo, copyright Columbia Pictures;

It appears that some time today someone who […]

Correct, it grants several in fact the Melody's […]

Are they just newspaper clippings or something? […]

If you check the post below from reddit, one of […]