The Joker Buster wrote: January 20th, 2023, 12:43 pm
gpstar wrote: January 20th, 2023, 12:30 pm

I think you are right, but in the end it doesn’t matter because both pins 9 and 10 are programmed to do the same thing in the code.
What is that 150 ohm that I see on the 1st metro mini coming off the 6 pin spot? Is that the 150 ohm of the actual sloblo led itself or is that something I have to wire in. Just starting in to this part of the mod, and don't want to screw anything up and have to get a new pack.
Did you do the other mods yet? I'm working on a video tutorial for these mods if you are unsure and want to wait on that
gpstar wrote: January 20th, 2023, 5:13 pm
Spectregater wrote: January 20th, 2023, 4:58 pm

A little over 5v to the Pack, and just over 12v to the amp.
Can you post up some detail photos of your wiring?

Also does the alarm sound still happen if the amp is turned off or unplugged ?

Now here is what I tried. I used the talentcell battery for the amp and speakers and ran the pack using D cell batteries. Audio was clear and no "alarm" sound. So it only happens when both the pack and amp/speaker are ran from the talentcell battery. Its always there but you can really hear it when you turn the main pack volume all the way down and the amps volume knob all the way up.

Then I made a discovery that it isn't an alarm at all but the sound of the powercell lights going. Somehow it is causing an interference signal when I run everything off of the talentcell. As far as I can tell I am wired up exactly like you are. It's an issue that I have no clue how to fix.
Spectregater wrote: January 20th, 2023, 9:34 pm

Now here is what I tried. I used the talentcell battery for the amp and speakers and ran the pack using D cell batteries. Audio was clear and no "alarm" sound. So it only happens when both the pack and amp/speaker are ran from the talentcell battery. Its always there but you can really hear it when you turn the main pack volume all the way down and the amps volume knob all the way up.

Then I made a discovery that it isn't an alarm at all but the sound of the powercell lights going. Somehow it is causing an interference signal when I run everything off of the talentcell. As far as I can tell I am wired up exactly like you are. It's an issue that I have no clue how to fix.
Do you have a wand you can connect to the pack and put the wand in Activate mode (ie: the vibration motor is going and it is ready to fire)? Does this stop the powercell sound interfering ?

I would look at your wiring from the talentcell amp to the SPK0, desolder and resolder, make sure it is not picking up anything (exposed wires still showing) underneath the board that could be picking up electrical interference.
jonogunn wrote: January 20th, 2023, 7:29 pm
The Joker Buster wrote: January 20th, 2023, 12:43 pm

What is that 150 ohm that I see on the 1st metro mini coming off the 6 pin spot? Is that the 150 ohm of the actual sloblo led itself or is that something I have to wire in. Just starting in to this part of the mod, and don't want to screw anything up and have to get a new pack.
Did you do the other mods yet? I'm working on a video tutorial for these mods if you are unsure and want to wait on that
Actually had only really started this one. But if you're gonna do a video on. It, I would rather see a more skilled solderer do it first, only thing I've ever soldered was one of the blades back on my Freddy glove, but even so that wasn't with an iron, just solder and a blowtorch.
Here’s my idea for a keep alive mod…

My pack is running off USB (via wall outlet) and is wall mounted. I will very seldom (if ever) have this off the wall. My plan is to use a 5V relay timer tied in to SW1. I will control it to turn off/on every 2 minutes (or whatever duration is needed). I *think* this will trick the pack into thinking I am manually flipping the switch on and off every time the pack auto-shuts off. And it will run on loop indefinitely.

I’ll report back if this works.
Last edited by PRConlon on January 21st, 2023, 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yanks1023 liked this
gpstar wrote: January 21st, 2023, 6:42 am
Spectregater wrote: January 21st, 2023, 6:30 am I thought about that but when I tried tapping into SPK1 it did the same thing
Can you try the wand activate test to see if it stops the sound when in activate mode?
What an absolute garbled noisy mess. Thought it was bad before it gets even worse when you have the wand attached.
Spectregater wrote: January 21st, 2023, 6:51 pm
gpstar wrote: January 21st, 2023, 6:42 am

Can you try the wand activate test to see if it stops the sound when in activate mode?
What an absolute garbled noisy mess. Thought it was bad before it gets even worse when you have the wand attached.
Can you try with the power cells unplugged from the pack microcontroller? It is the JP3 4pin white connector. You may or may not have to turn the pack on and unplug it while it is running if it happens to refuse to turn on while unplugged.

If it’s truly the power cells causing interference and your wiring is good, may need to come up with a different solution. Perhaps removing spk1 and tap into that directly or run a aux cable from spk1 to the aux port on the amp.
Spectregater wrote: January 22nd, 2023, 10:25 pm If I don't have the issue when running the amp/speaker and pack on separate batteries then it obviously means using a single battery is the issue. How and why I don't know. But I'm tired of dealing with it.
I will spend a bit of time today to see if I can replicate the problem you are having.
Yanks1023 liked this
Hello! I was sent here from YouTube. I have a similar issue with the sound. However not exactly the same. I can hear the same “alarm” sound coming from the lights, but it’s not as loud as yours. My real issue is simply garbage sound. It’s terrible. I believe it’s because the board is sending a mono signal, and we are sending it through a stereo amp. If I plug my Walkman into the amp with a stereo aux cable, everything sounds great. But for some reason the OP doesn’t seem to have an issue with his audio coming from the board. 🤦🏻‍♂️ So confusing. Anyway. I plan to work around this by soldering a mono aux cable to speaker 2 and plugging it into the amps aux port and see what happens. Just gotta wait for the cable to get here.
gpstar liked this
NoahVoiding wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 12:48 am Hello! I was sent here from YouTube. I have a similar issue with the sound. However not exactly the same. I can hear the same “alarm” sound coming from the lights, but it’s not as loud as yours. My real issue is simply garbage sound. It’s terrible. I believe it’s because the board is sending a mono signal, and we are sending it through a stereo amp. If I plug my Walkman into the amp with a stereo aux cable, everything sounds great. But for some reason the OP doesn’t seem to have an issue with his audio coming from the board. 🤦🏻‍♂️ So confusing. Anyway. I plan to work around this by soldering a mono aux cable to speaker 2 and plugging it into the amps aux port and see what happens. Just gotta wait for the cable to get here.

Glad you made it over here.

Let us know if this was the problem. I tried replicating it but everything still sounds normal for my setup, my pack is coming apart now for ripping out the Haslab controller for replacement so I do not have much left for testing.
NoahVoiding, Yanks1023 liked this
jonogunn wrote: January 11th, 2023, 6:39 am
the10thdoctor wrote: January 11th, 2023, 6:31 am I would definitely commission someone in the states to do this to my Spengler wand! I can build and paint em, but electronics are out of my comfort zone.
I’m in Vancouver, Canada. I just need to pick up some of the resistors from a store near by and gonna give it a shot sometime this week. If all is well and I’m confident in the quality of my work I’m gonna provide services for those who want my help.
Any luck with the modding?
Any idea if the pack will stay on if not connected to the wand? It shuts off early due to the wands standby feature, right? I'm just hoping there's some kind of easy work around for keeping it on without fiddling with the wand every 30 seconds. I can't solder whatsoever, know nothing of electronics. Probably unlikely for an easy work around, or one that I'd be comfortable doing. If the pack stayed on while not connected to the wand then you could just make a new wire to hook them together and power the wand independently.
the10thdoctor wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 8:38 am
jonogunn wrote: January 11th, 2023, 6:39 am

I’m in Vancouver, Canada. I just need to pick up some of the resistors from a store near by and gonna give it a shot sometime this week. If all is well and I’m confident in the quality of my work I’m gonna provide services for those who want my help.
Sorry I’ve been slow on getting it done with life stuff. I was going to do it in conjunction with a video tutorial so that will take longer.

My plan was to start with the speaker/battery tutorial first but my talentcell battery is taking longer than expected to arrive. Sorry for the delay

That said another user above has a plug and play method for the stay alive coming out. Does that change your and others interest in modding the wand method?
NoahVoiding wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 1:10 am Side note. I’ve made a plug and play “always on” mod for the pack. No soldering required. My buddy is starting to source parts in bulk so we can start building them. I’ll be posting a demo video on my Instagram soon. Instagram: Playday_tng
Will u be posting how to do it or just selling as a kit?
gpstar wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 12:16 am
Spectregater wrote: January 22nd, 2023, 10:25 pm If I don't have the issue when running the amp/speaker and pack on separate batteries then it obviously means using a single battery is the issue. How and why I don't know. But I'm tired of dealing with it.
I will spend a bit of time today to see if I can replicate the problem you are having.
I may have a clue here from a previous build. I purchased Spongeface's soundblaster board for a spirit pack. I also got a bluetooth receiver to be able to stream tracks from my phone. I ran the sound board off 12v (talentcell) and plugged in the bluetooth (to charge it) usb on same battery. When the BT receiver was plugged in and charging, there was awful static noise outputting from the speaker and it only went away by unplugged the BT receiver from the usb port. I ordered the amp and pioneer speakers for my Haslab and Im hoping I dont run into this problem like Spectregater. Wondering how Gpstar isnt getting this noise as well.
jonogunn wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 10:47 am
the10thdoctor wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 8:38 am

Sorry I’ve been slow on getting it done with life stuff. I was going to do it in conjunction with a video tutorial so that will take longer.

My plan was to start with the speaker/battery tutorial first but my talentcell battery is taking longer than expected to arrive. Sorry for the delay

That said another user above has a plug and play method for the stay alive coming out. Does that change your and others interest in modding the wand method?
Yes man! I'm getting the stuff to do it. I already programed the metro mini and am just waiting on some other parts but Id love to this and hve a video to follow along too. I havent done much electronis so that would be awesome! I'm in vancouver too!

I have the exact same issue. Using the same 50w amp with 120w 4" car speakers. The same exact sound coming thru. Following this conversation hoping for a fix. I don't have a lot of knowledge in this area. Sort of just following in other's footsteps so far. I don't understand why gpstar doesn't have the same issue since their setup is similar to ours.
This post may contain an affiliate link that helps support GBFans.com when you make a purchase at no additional cost to you.

I’ve had a lot of interest on Facebook in what I did for “always on.” I am glad to share what I did, and below is a brief description:

I am running my pack off USB power to a new micro USB port I installed on the back of the pack. This is connected to the power connector on the Hasbro board.

I tapped into the wires powering the board with another micro USB cord that powers this module:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DFT2WDS?re ... HGX83CK3VZ

I then ran wires from the NO and COM ports of that and tapped into the 2 wires for the existing switch (SW1). This way you keep the functionality of the original switch if you want to use the pack’s timeout feature. So you can either use the switch exactly as it came from Hasbro, or leave that switch off and use the relay timer.

For the relay, I set it to stay on for 183 seconds, then shut off for 3 seconds, then turn back on. And this will loop indefinitely (or you can set a limit for how many cycles you want it to go).

Yanks1023 liked this
Mr Stay Puft wrote: January 24th, 2023, 6:26 am

I have the exact same issue. Using the same 50w amp with 120w 4" car speakers. The same exact sound coming thru. Following this conversation hoping for a fix. I don't have a lot of knowledge in this area. Sort of just following in other's footsteps so far. I don't understand why gpstar doesn't have the same issue since their setup is similar to ours.
I hope you are able to solve it, did you try the aux port idea that was mentioned above? I would test but my pack is apart and I ripped out the stock microcontroller to be replaced with a Arduino...
Yanks1023 liked this
First of all, kudos on all the wonderful mods to the HasLab pack. You are truly doing some amazing work, and also trailblazing for many of us. I'm just starting on my journey inside the pack, and have a few questions (hopefully not repeat questions).
I know you are using a TalentCell Rechargeable 6000mAh DC 12V/5V USB D YB1206000-USB without the enclosure to power the pack. That is a 12 and 5 volt battery unit, so I see you ran a USB cable out the 5 volt port and into the battery compartment of the pack. I'm assuming you just tapped into the red/black wires in the battery compartment.
And also from the other comments, I see the pack is running just fine off 5 volts. The 12 volt supply is going to be used for other mods like better sound, more lights, etc.
So, for my question, I'm wondering if I could use my USB power bank (10,000mAh) instead of a TalentCell kit for now. I would run a USB cable from the pack's spare open compartment to the battery compartment, then connect that to my power bank located in the spare compartment. I could also install a USB passthru port, so I could put the power bank on my belt (like I do for my other packs). This allows me to change battery packs without taking off the pack.
Sorry for the long post, but I'm just confirming that your pack is running of 5 volt USB and it is not having issues.
Cheers - George

I'd really like to see the new t-shirt unlocks t[…]

Hey and welcome

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]