For the various Ghostbusters Cartoon series. Real Ghostbusters, Extreme Ghostbusters and more!
Chicken, He Clucked wrote: December 13th, 2022, 3:28 am I wouldn’t be erasing copies of the original aspect ratio. Anyway, we’re derailing kind2311’s thread a little.
I set up a new thread and moved the posts over as to keep kind2311's thread on-topic. So continue away.

So you'd be able to rip it of you had a blu-ray player that plays Region A? I figured you would just need a disc drive on your laptop that reads Blu-ray and you just swap the region on your laptop to A then back when you're done. No?
Kingpin liked this
Yeah it might actually be that simple. If that’s what is required I’ll be happy to do it, I’d just need to invest in a drive. I’m just currently asking around to find out if anyone has a copy or can confirm they’re HD versions.

(And regarding the “fan remaster” idea. It would mainly involve extending the matte paintings to 16:9 and then touching up here and there. Might still be too much work, but certainly having a HD or 4K source means the hardest part is already done.)
mrmichaelt liked this

Using google Lens and google translate:
"DISC3 "Anime Ghostbusters"
1. Baseball tournament 2. Slimer's thief extermination 3. The subway is full of ghosts 4. Mysterious spirit ship 5. Ghost car town
Peter (Chiba)/Raymond (Shigeru Ushiyama)/Igon (Tetsusho Genda)/Janine (Shinobu Adachi) Winston (Daishinya)/Slimer (Koichi Yamadera)
voice acting
AUTO-BO72-730RUMOREDET FASTT © 1987 CPT Holdings, Inc. All Rights Reserved."

Using google Lens and google translate:
"DISC3 "Anime Ghostbusters"
STAY FUST
1. Baseball Tournament 2. Slimer Defeating Thieves 3. Subway Full of Ghosts 4. Mysterious Ghost Ship 5. Ghost Car Town
THE REAL GHOSTBUSTERS
Luxurious
Peter (Chiba)/Raymond (Shigeru Ushiyama)/Igon (Tetsusho Genda) Janine (Shinobu Adachi)/Winston (Shinya Otaki)/Slimer (Koichi Yamadera)
Voice actors!!
Disclaimer: Some parts of the main story have video and audio disturbances related to the master. Thank you for your understanding. 1987 CPT Holdings, Inc. All Rights Reserved."

I was hoping that it confirm what quality they were, but like I thought, they used the vhs/beta Magic Windows master for japans dubs. Being only five episodes, I would think that mean that the "Blu-Ray" isn't just the format of the disc, but the contents itself. (Yes, some Blu-Ray releases are not Blu-Rays quality footage) I want to stress that this is not 100% confirmed.

Also there was a promo video for the set, which seems to have went offline. I have the 1:3 video if interested, though it really doesn't help much, and it really doesn't show any improvements. (but the ad was in 720X404, likely taken off Youtube)
mrmichaelt liked this
I’ve spoken with James Eatock aka Cereal Geek who worked on the Time Life set and although he wasn’t familiar with this particular release, the “magic window masters” would be the same as the broadcast masters used for the Time Life set. So basically it is exceedingly unlikely HD/4K remastered RGB episodes appeared on a one-off Japan release without any fanfare or Western re-release. And note there’s no “HD1080” tag on the RGB disc blurb.

Based on that I’m probably not going to drop the £50 to import this and find out.

But if anyone else wants to give it a shot? Would be worth it for kind2311 as a reference for his upscaling. :boogieman:
kind2311 liked this
Chicken, He Clucked wrote: December 14th, 2022, 11:52 am I’ve spoken with James Eatock aka Cereal Geek who worked on the Time Life set and although he wasn’t familiar with this particular release, the “magic window masters” would be the same as the broadcast masters used for the Time Life set. So basically it is exceedingly unlikely HD/4K remastered RGB episodes appeared on a one-off Japan release without any fanfare or Western re-release. And note there’s no “HD1080” tag on the RGB disc blurb.

Based on that I’m probably not going to drop the £50 to import this and find out.

But if anyone else wants to give it a shot? Would be worth it for kind2311 as a reference for his upscaling. :boogieman:
Yes and no. The Time Life masters were at the scale they are at because at the time they had dvd's in mind as the medium. There was no plan to transfer fer to a bigger format. The tapes are analog which means that converting from that source would be smoother than upscaling a digital film. Once a film is converted to digital, it is pixelized, setting it to a size. It is far easier to take a tape and capture it digitally to a higher scale than to upscale a already captured digital work. Most modern Blu-Rays and 4K Blu-Rays are made from a bigger capture than the formats they are on. When the footage is captured to digital is the ideal time to have the sizing where you want it. At that point it is better to be downscaling from a higher scale, than to try to upscale it. The most detail/information is in the analog format, and the only thing that happens once converted to digital is losing information/detail. I'm not sure how to better explain it.

The Masters to Magic Windows (for Japan) are likely a second or third generation down, so they'd be inferior to likely most of the Time life materials. But, Time lifes reults were aiming for a lower quality (DVD) capture, and that sorta nerfs the whole thing.

Also, I wasn't trying to trick anyone into buying it, I was stating everything about it. I wish I was 100% sure of what was on there, but they didn't really bother with it as it is Japan only release as it was more likely done only for Japan thanks to the dubbings. It was aimed at the Japan Market only, making it hard to know 100% anything about it.
I mean… it’s like $30-40 to import. Someone in the fanbase with the inclination could very easily confirm this or not. If I had the spare cash I’d definitely do it, but I’m in a tight spot financially atm. (Hello, Haslab Proton Pack)

I understand the logistics of what you’re saying about the tapes, but without knowing your credentials, I think the person who worked on the Time Life set probably would know about it.

Think about it: if Ghost Corp knew a HD copy of these episodes existed - why upload 480p to Youtube? Why not a Western release? Why go to the trouble of re-transfering just for a bonus disc in one territory?
Found a old twitter post where Phelan talks a bit about the Japan release. He does have two images to compare.

https://twitter.com/Phelous/status/844708578929848324

Looks that the scale he uploaded for the 5 episode disc is 1920 X1080. Yeah there are TV black bars on the sides, and cutting those it is more like 1415 X 1070, and clearly a raw transfer, but still nice.

Chicken, He Clucked and -1 others liked this
DevilManOzzy gave me a copy of the promo video. If anyone is interested in seeing it, it's now on the Spook Central Facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/spookcentralgb ... 2680972045 (alt url: https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=532225225488128 )

You can also download his original file here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kc3_go ... s=6398e190
mrmichaelt, Chicken, He Clucked and -1 others liked this

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]

I read Back in Town #1. Spoilers : Hate to b[…]

I'd really like to see the new t-shirt unlocks tra[…]