For the various Ghostbusters Cartoon series. Real Ghostbusters, Extreme Ghostbusters and more!
The commercially high-end version of this tech does an exceptional job and without the sorts of artefacts we're seeing here. No offence to kind2311 who is doin sterling work. Here's an example of the new He-Man bluray:

It's not beyond the realm of possibility Real Ghostbusters will eventually see such a re-release. I imagine all cartoons from that era are ripe for this tech, so I'm confident.
ccv66, kind2311 liked this
By kind2311
I went though the DVD version of the episodes I have already enhanced, and the DVD also exhibits the same color and temperature changes that the enhanced copies suffer from. Either it's a problem with my copies of the DVDs, or it's something inherent to the DVD transfer that is now being enhanced and exacerbated by the upscaling process.
By devilmanozzy
kind2311 wrote: December 22nd, 2022, 12:59 pm I went though the DVD version of the episodes I have already enhanced, and the DVD also exhibits the same color and temperature changes that the enhanced copies suffer from. Either it's a problem with my copies of the DVDs, or it's something inherent to the DVD transfer that is now being enhanced and exacerbated by the upscaling process.
Your DVD copies seem the same as TimeLifes. The issue is a true remaster finds a master to work from. A DVD is already quite a few generations from the original print. Between it being "a copy of a copy of a copy...etc" and it being digitized at 640 X 480 pixels, it can only be fixed to a point. That's why the black outlines of the No-Ghost walking are the way they are. It is going to happen no matter what software you have. It is already set at 640 X 480.
kind2311, Kingpin liked this
devilmanozzy wrote: Your DVD copies seem the same as TimeLifes. The issue is a true remaster finds a master to work from. A DVD is already quite a few generations from the original print. Between it being "a copy of a copy of a copy...etc" and it being digitized at 640 X 480 pixels, it can only be fixed to a point. That's why the black outlines of the No-Ghost walking are the way they are. It is going to happen no matter what software you have. It is already set at 640 X 480.
From what I’ve gathered the company producing the He-Man Blu-Ray has tech which can produce superior results. See above where more detailed line work is depicted where there would be incomprehensible artefact using a basic AI upscaler. I have no idea how it’s able to do that.

Also worth noting some of the same people who worked on the Time Life RGB set are working on this He-Man set. If they got the rights to Real Ghostbusters I’m sure the results would be superior to what a fan can achieve with DVD rips. Fingers crossed the rights are acquire and / or Ghost Corp sees a financial or preservation incentive in remastering the series in this way. It would also justify a full price re-release / box set and new streaming revenues.

This is why I am quietly confident it’s a matter of when not if. Plus even if it doesn’t happen, the upscaling tech out in the wild will continue to improve.
kind2311 liked this
By Kingpin
Are we absolutely certain the He-Man remaster is solely down to AI interpretation? The dots on the middle plate of elephant man's are damn-near invisible on the old transfer, and surely would've been lost in the clean-up process if that 2019 DVD is representative of the quality they're using as the foundation?
Kingpin wrote:Are we absolutely certain the He-Man remaster is solely down to AI interpretation? The dots on the middle plate of elephant man's are damn-near invisible on the old transfer, and surely would've been lost in the clean-up process if that 2019 DVD is representative of the quality they're using as the foundation?
I’m told it was done using “Upscaling technology”. Whether they have broadcast tapes to work from I’m not sure, those would exist for RGB anyway as they were used for the Time Life set.
By kind2311
Bison256 wrote: December 31st, 2022, 7:56 am I had a chance to see these on my 4k monitor. I don't think the A.I. is good enough yet. Still images look good but look odd when there's movement.
Unfortunately these are just simple upscales, not restorations. The AI enhances what is already there, and adds the extra digital information to bring the resolution and bitrate up.

The temperature changes/pink scenes are what's really driving me nuts, but they're present on the original DVDs and there's not much I can do about that.
Kingpin liked this
By kind2311
Die now.... pay later!

Episode 15 - Station Identification

Never really paid much attention before as it is one of the more lackluster episodes IMO, but, despite the odd renditions of the character's eyes in some scenes, this episode has some really clean animation in it.
mrmichaelt, Kingpin liked this
By kind2311
Episode 16 - Sea Fright

The clean, well-drawn animation scaled up really well on this one. I added film grain this time to try and bring back some of that muddy look from the original transfers, while still keeping it somewhat 4K-crisp. Do you guys think digital noise would be better than grain? I have the option to add one or the other, or both if desired.
Kingpin, mrmichaelt liked this
kind2311 wrote: For some reason, Venkman's Ghost Repellers is still not processed up to 4K(or even HD for that matter). Maybe the bitrate is too high lol.
I've noticed that too. Some take a couple hours to fully process to HD/4K
kind2311 liked this
By kind2311
mrmichaelt wrote: January 6th, 2023, 8:31 pm
kind2311 wrote: For some reason, Venkman's Ghost Repellers is still not processed up to 4K(or even HD for that matter). Maybe the bitrate is too high lol.
I've noticed that too. Some take a couple hours to fully process to HD/4K
It's going on 7 hours at this point lol. Never had one take more than 2 before. Trippy.
kind2311 wrote: January 9th, 2023, 8:25 pm Welp, so much for that.

Guess it's ok for other users to upload RGB episodes, but of course when Vinny does it...

:sigh:
Yeah I’m usually 100% against piracy but you aren’t just uploading episodes available for purchase elsewhere, you’re improving them. It’s not like you can just buy 4K episodes of RGB.

This is the stuff that really bothers me with Sony. Extreme Ghostbusters isn’t available commercial free legally to purchase anywhere(outside of some out of print DVDS from overseas). They uploaded episodes to YouTube a couple years ago…and then took em down. Fine ok. At least then let other people upload them, it’s not like they are trying to monetize that series.
kind2311 liked this

Someone ID'd them on Facebook first, there w[…]

Two specific ideas I have are basically holiday sp[…]

While waiting impatiently for Frozen Empire to rel[…]

Make it that pack, sell it for $599. (While I […]