Discuss all things Ghostbusters here, unless they would be better suited in one of the few forums below.
By RichardLess
There’s a lot of questions we fans have asked on this forum about GB & GB2. A lot of them multiple times. We’ve solved some mysteries(No Slimer never came out of the Statue of Liberty at the end of GB2) & yet others remain still unsolved(Why does the Ecto 1A transform into the Ecto 2).

But today we add a new one to this list. I called it the “ultimate mystery” because A) I’ve never seen it asked here and B) it’s something I’ve wondered since I was a kid. Sure it’s a little click baity, but you’re here reading this sentence so I assumed it worked. So without further ado…

Ok. So we all know the dancing toaster scene, right? In GB2? Something I’ve always wondered was…did the slime manifest the toast that pops up out of the toaster? We never see anyone push the toaster mechanism down. And we know Slime does interesting things when it, uh, “climaxes”. We see them pour slime into the toaster(btw I totally want one of those! You always see them in commercials with honey dripping off in slo mo but I’ve never seen anyone in real life actually own one)but it doesn’t appear as if any toast is inside. So…is that positive Slime toast? Or did the positive slime just cover the toast? If the latter was the case you’d imagine there might be a pink hue to ol’ el toasty. But it’s just a plain old piece of toast.

As a kid I also always thought it was a shame someone like Louis never came around to eating the slime toast. Or maybe have a Louis & Slimer scene where they both go for the slime toast. They both enter the room at the same time and have a Wild West style stare off as they both clock the toast. Whose the faster gun? I duno. But as a kid I remember thinking “I hope someone doesn’t eat that toast”. But now as an adult I’m kinda like “I totally hope someone eats that toast”. . What would happen if you consumed toast either created by, or embed with, positive mood slime? Might’ve been a funny little sequence. Cut to 5 minutes later & Louis is looking like he’s totally stoned on ecstasy or pot or something.

But anyways…the toast. What the deal?
By mrmichaelt
I always thought they put toast in between scenes after Ray spoons it in and before Egon puts it on the billiards table. I'm pretty sure when Egon first grabs the toaster, you can briefly see there's no toast in it yet and brings it to Ray to put the slime in. Ray seems to be careful with pouring the slime in that it didn't touch the sides. So I guess technically it's untainted toast? But I'm sure Egon destroyed it after for safety's sake. Or Slimer stole and ate it and that contributed to why in-universe he was so out of character and friendly in this movie.
deadderek liked this
By robbritton
I can't help you with the toast, but the utensil is a honey dipper and they're very cheap and easy to get online! Live out that dream!
DancingToaster liked this
By RichardLess
mrmichaelt wrote: November 25th, 2022, 3:23 am I always thought they put toast in between scenes after Ray spoons it in and before Egon puts it on the billiards table. I'm pretty sure when Egon first grabs the toaster, you can briefly see there's no toast in it yet and brings it to Ray to put the slime in. Ray seems to be careful with pouring the slime in that it didn't touch the sides. So I guess technically it's untainted toast? But I'm sure Egon destroyed it after for safety's sake. Or Slimer stole and ate it and that contributed to why in-universe he was so out of character and friendly in this movie.
Ha! I love that Slimer idea. Love it! Slimer is so different in GB2 because he ate the positively charged slime toast lol. Beautiful. That might be my fav head canon ever!

So since we can’t see the toast…I guess the slime manifests the toast, right? Like how it’s manifests the Scoleri Bros…if it’s put in a toaster with a positive charge…it spits out toast? Paranormal mood slime toast.

robbritton wrote: November 25th, 2022, 6:15 am I can't help you with the toast, but the utensil is a honey dipper and they're very cheap and easy to get online! Live out that dream!
Lol. Do people actually use them…in the real world? It looks cool as shit but…what can it do that a spoon cannot? I’ve never, ever seen someone actually utilize one of those things or even own one. Have you? So the idea is you dip it in honey and..drip it on your toast? Why not use a spoon? It’s such a specific thing lol they look awesome tho and I love the way it’s used in the movie. It just looks…cool
By mrmichaelt
RichardLess wrote: November 25th, 2022, 6:44 pm So since we can’t see the toast…I guess the slime manifests the toast, right? Like how it’s manifests the Scoleri Bros…if it’s put in a toaster with a positive charge…it spits out toast? Paranormal mood slime toast.
It's certainly in the realm of possibility the positively charged slime physically manifested toast as sort of a charged memory reflex. When they stimulated the slimed Statue of Liberty with Jackie Wilson's song, actual real flames manifested in the torch. So toaster toasts toast, the copper flame is in the torch and the mink coat's minks so does kinda track with how the slime reacts when presented an object or person. Even could rationalize the slime reacted to Judge Wexler's angry tirade and purposefully manifested the Scoleri Brothers because of his history with them.
By DancingToaster
I never really thought about it, but now that you mention it... I'm assuming the toast was put into the toaster off screen, before it's brought to the pool table. As for why it's dry... perhaps the slime manifested the dry white toast that Elwood ordered, and delivered it to him in an alternate universe.

Come to think of it, I'm not even sure why the bread was toasted. Did the slime do that too?
mrmichaelt wrote:But I'm sure Egon destroyed it after for safety's sake.
Suuure he did! This is the same guy who tried to drill a hole in his head for science, after all, and only mentioned not crossing the streams as kind of an afterthought :D
azza200 liked this
By mrmichaelt
DancingToaster wrote: November 25th, 2022, 10:55 pmSuuure he did! This is the same guy who tried to drill a hole in his head for science, after all, and only mentioned not crossing the streams as kind of an afterthought :D
True, he totally had Ray or Louis take a bite then scanned them. lol.
By RichardLess
DancingToaster wrote: November 25th, 2022, 10:55 pm I never really thought about it, but now that you mention it... I'm assuming the toast was put into the toaster off screen, before it's brought to the pool table. As for why it's dry... perhaps the slime manifested the dry white toast that Elwood ordered, and delivered it to him in an alternate universe.

Come to think of it, I'm not even sure why the bread was toasted. Did the slime do that too?
mrmichaelt wrote:But I'm sure Egon destroyed it after for safety's sake.
Suuure he did! This is the same guy who tried to drill a hole in his head for science, after all, and only mentioned not crossing the streams as kind of an afterthought :D
I love that your name and pic is literally about what we are discussing.

You’re like “Finally! My moment has come!”

Off topic a bit but it’s funny you should mention Egon’s head drilling. As a kid that line always disturbed me. I mean, I didn’t know that trepanation was, so I always thought Egon randomly tried to commit suicide. These movies play every differently to an 8 year old Vs 18 year old
By DancingToaster
RichardLess wrote:I love that your name and pic is literally about what we are discussing.

You’re like “Finally! My moment has come!”

Off topic a bit but it’s funny you should mention Egon’s head drilling. As a kid that line always disturbed me. I mean, I didn’t know that trepanation was, so I always thought Egon randomly tried to commit suicide. These movies play every differently to an 8 year old Vs 18 year old
:D This was certainly my topic!

As for Egon, I find it funny that he was perfectly willing to do some crazy things for the sake of science (as we are reminded earlier in this scene, before the toaster appears o_o), but often made Peter collect samples. I don't know if he was unwilling to do it, or just knew it annoyed Peter and enjoyed getting on his nerves.

mrmichaelt wrote:
RichardLess wrote: November 25th, 2022, 6:44 pm So since we can’t see the toast…I guess the slime manifests the toast, right? Like how it’s manifests the Scoleri Bros…if it’s put in a toaster with a positive charge…it spits out toast? Paranormal mood slime toast.
It's certainly in the realm of possibility the positively charged slime physically manifested toast as sort of a charged memory reflex. When they stimulated the slimed Statue of Liberty with Jackie Wilson's song, actual real flames manifested in the torch. So toaster toasts toast, the copper flame is in the torch and the mink coat's minks so does kinda track with how the slime reacts when presented an object or person. Even could rationalize the slime reacted to Judge Wexler's angry tirade and purposefully manifested the Scoleri Brothers because of his history with them.
This is also a very good explanation for how it made toast. I still think the bread was put in off screen, but the slime did the rest.
mrmichaelt liked this
By robbritton
RichardLess wrote: November 25th, 2022, 6:44 pm Lol. Do people actually use them…in the real world? It looks cool as shit but…what can it do that a spoon cannot? I’ve never, ever seen someone actually utilize one of those things or even own one. Have you? So the idea is you dip it in honey and..drip it on your toast? Why not use a spoon? It’s such a specific thing lol they look awesome tho and I love the way it’s used in the movie. It just looks…cool
To be honest, I've never even used a spoon for it, let alone one of those. I use a knife like the absolute apex of chaos. Goes everywhere.

...I should buy a dipper, eh?!
By RichardLess
robbritton wrote: November 27th, 2022, 4:41 am
RichardLess wrote: November 25th, 2022, 6:44 pm Lol. Do people actually use them…in the real world? It looks cool as shit but…what can it do that a spoon cannot? I’ve never, ever seen someone actually utilize one of those things or even own one. Have you? So the idea is you dip it in honey and..drip it on your toast? Why not use a spoon? It’s such a specific thing lol they look awesome tho and I love the way it’s used in the movie. It just looks…cool
To be honest, I've never even used a spoon for it, let alone one of those. I use a knife like the absolute apex of chaos. Goes everywhere.

...I should buy a dipper, eh?!
A knife?? Ha! You measly peasant

In civilized society, yes, we use spoons. Gold spoons. With diamonds encrusted all around. Made by…Jesus. That’s right!

Lol

I’m not going to lie I totally bought a honey dipper off Amazon yesterday lol. I’m trying to get one that looks like the one they use in GB2 but it’s not as easy as i thought. Most, on the Canadian Amazon store anyways, are wooden and the steel ones aren’t right. They have grooves in them Vs just a metal sphere. The one I got is a honey dipper/drink mixer but the drink mixer part looks like the end they used in GB2
robbritton liked this
By DancingToaster
RichardLess wrote:Most, on the Canadian Amazon store anyways, are wooden and the steel ones aren’t right. They have grooves in them Vs just a metal sphere. The one I got is a honey dipper/drink mixer but the drink mixer part looks like the end they used in GB2
Upon watching the scene again, it looks like it actually is a spoon (look carefully while Ray is rotating it). It could be something like a drink mixer, but it could also be laboratory equipment.

I hope the honey dipper you ordered is all you hoped it would be! :D
Kingpin liked this
By joezlo
I always thought the slime manifested the toast, just like the slime manifested the Scolari Bros.

I'm sure somebody nibbled on it in the name of science. (Especially since they were sleeping with it)
By d_osborn
I love the idea of the pink slime manifesting the toast! :love:

RichardLess wrote: November 25th, 2022, 1:29 am (Why does the Ecto 1A transform into the Ecto 2)
Why did the ECTO-1A transform into ECTO-2 outside of Dana's?

All throughout production, the car was referred as ECTO-2 in scheduling, call sheets, etc., including that reshoot. Perhaps it was a different crew for props/continuity, leading to a simple oversight? Maybe someone DID notice, but ECTO-2 was all that was on hand, considering that's what was on the paperwork? I remember hearing stories about how the ECTO-1A license plates kept getting stolen while they were shooting in NYC.

...or why did the ECTO-2 transform into the ECTO-1A before production? :whatever:

mrmichaelt wrote: November 25th, 2022, 3:23 am Slimer stole and ate it and that contributed to why in-universe he was so out of character and friendly in this movie.
THIS IS GENIUS!
mrmichaelt liked this
By RichardLess
d_osborn wrote: November 29th, 2022, 4:05 pm I love the idea of the pink slime manifesting the toast! :love:

RichardLess wrote: November 25th, 2022, 1:29 am (Why does the Ecto 1A transform into the Ecto 2)
Why did the ECTO-1A transform into ECTO-2 outside of Dana's?

All throughout production, the car was referred as ECTO-2 in scheduling, call sheets, etc., including that reshoot. Perhaps it was a different crew for props/continuity, leading to a simple oversight? Maybe someone DID notice, but ECTO-2 was all that was on hand, considering that's what was on the paperwork? I remember hearing stories about how the ECTO-1A license plates kept getting stolen while they were shooting in NYC.

...or why did the ECTO-2 transform into the ECTO-1A before production? :whatever:

mrmichaelt wrote: November 25th, 2022, 3:23 am Slimer stole and ate it and that contributed to why in-universe he was so out of character and friendly in this movie.
THIS IS GENIUS!
I meant how it randomly turns into the Ecto 2 outside Dana’s

Also. Look at that call sheet. Poor Ernie Hudson. He’s #6 on a 5 person list. God damn. Who would be above him? The car? Lol
Also it’s kinda shocking Harold Ramis is above Sigorney Weaver on the call sheet. She was Oscar nominated by then!
By mrmichaelt
RichardLess wrote: I meant how it randomly turns into the Ecto 2 outside Dana’s!
If you look at the 3/89 date, that means that was when they came back to NYC to do additional photography so it probably fell through the cracks and someone probably goofed and used an Ecto-2 plate by mistake in the mad rush to finish filming. It was always a theory of mine they intended the new car to be Ecto-2 as we've seen in script drafts it is listed as such but later realized it was used in The Real Ghostbusters as the gyro and wanted to distance themselves from the cartoon then had props make the Ecto-1a license plate props. As we know in bts stuff they went back and forth on how to utilize Slimer but admitted they ultimately had to include him because of his popularity from the cartoons.
By DancingToaster
d_osborn wrote:Why did the ECTO-1A transform into ECTO-2 outside of Dana's?
I never noticed that!
mrmichaelt wrote:It was always a theory of mine they intended the new car to be Ecto-2 as we've seen in script drafts it is listed as such but later realized it was used in The Real Ghostbusters as the gyro and wanted to distance themselves from the cartoon then had props make the Ecto-1a license plate props.
This makes sense; the cartoon already had an ECTO-2.
By RichardLess
mrmichaelt wrote: November 29th, 2022, 4:58 pm
RichardLess wrote: I meant how it randomly turns into the Ecto 2 outside Dana’s!
If you look at the 3/89 date, that means that was when they came back to NYC to do additional photography so it probably fell through the cracks and someone probably goofed and used an Ecto-2 plate by mistake in the mad rush to finish filming. It was always a theory of mine they intended the new car to be Ecto-2 as we've seen in script drafts it is listed as such but later realized it was used in The Real Ghostbusters as the gyro and wanted to distance themselves from the cartoon then had props make the Ecto-1a license plate props. As we know in bts stuff they went back and forth on how to utilize Slimer but admitted they ultimately had to include him because of his popularity from the cartoons.
Now this is a strange one. I noticed your reply in the quote of my post randomly added an exclamation point after “Dana’s”. I read that and I thought “oh no. I must’ve mistyped an exclamation point, I hope that doesn’t read as rude or something”. Then I scrolled up to look & to my relief there was no “!” After “Dana’s”. Somethings gone wrong somewhere.

I think you may have solved the mystery right there. I’d bet money you are correct about the RGB “Ecto 2” conflicting with the movie version. Good call.

Yeah the reshooting the scene was definitely the right move. The original version was lacking. That must’ve been about the time they were back in New York doing the subway ghost train reshoots. And the movie released in June! These weren’t small sequences either.

I’ve said it many many times before but man, GB2 really was salvaged in the edit & postproduction. Every added moment was a smart choice & helped the movie. Every scene reshot was the right move. That happened with the first movie in a way where every cut sequence was the right call. A lot of movies with deleted scenes you can kind of get why it was cut but you kinda half wish it was still in the movie. Not with GB.

With GB2 Think of how much just changing that “Ecto 2 “sequence to an exterior at night with the Ecto rolling up adds. It adds narrative heft, an energy, we get a little bit of good comedy from Venkman. Just visually the sequence works a million times better. Same with World of Psychic. Think of how much that reshoot changed the movie. Now we’ve got an almost ticking clock because we know Milt, absent in the original shot version, is legit on our first visit with Vigo( plus there’s the teeniest hint during the scene that we, the audience, should be taking Milt seriously). Then the fire with the pictures in the darkroom! The movie without that sequence or Ray & Egon looking up Vigo’s “nice ugly history” just isn’t nearly as good

When I think about stuff like that I think of how underrated Ivan Reitman was. He knew EXACTLY what was wrong & how to fix it. The GB2 as shot wouldn’t be near as good. My appreciation for the movie is increased knowing how much it was saved in the edit.
Kingpin liked this
By mrmichaelt
RichardLess wrote:Now this is a strange one. I noticed your reply in the quote of my post randomly added an exclamation point after “Dana’s”. I read that and I thought “oh no. I must’ve mistyped an exclamation point, I hope that doesn’t read as rude or something”.
Sorry about that, must have deleted the question mark when I meant to delete the exclamation.

RichardLess wrote:Yeah the reshooting the scene was definitely the right move. The original version was lacking. That must’ve been about the time they were back in New York doing the subway ghost train reshoots. And the movie released in June! These weren’t small sequences either.
Yeah, it was pretty crazy the filmed a lot of stuff 3 months before the theatrical release: the ghost train, the impaled heads, people running from Washington Square, the Jack getting fired scene. Jack getting fired was filmed in May because ILM could not finish ghost FX for the original planned scene.

RichardLess wrote:When I think about stuff like that I think of how underrated Ivan Reitman was. He knew EXACTLY what was wrong & how to fix it. The GB2 as shot wouldn’t be near as good. My appreciation for the movie is increased knowing how much it was saved in the edit.
Yup. Still, to get the full picture, let's see that assembly cut someday, Ghost Corps. <cough>2024 40th anniversary 4K/Bluray set?<cough> Excuse me. :P
By GBfan_85
As a kid, I always thought the slime made the toast. As I got older though, I just assumed Egon poured slime over bread that happened to already be in there and that the experiment was just about making the toaster dance.

Anyway that aside, my ultimate GB2 mystery is this deal with Ecto 1A's license plate. In almost every shot when they're at the museum in the final battle, the license plate has the Statue of Liberty to the immediate left with ECTO 1A stamped to the right of it. But then during the close up, it has the SoL in between "Ecto" and "1A". And don't even get me started on the random Ecto-2 license plate sighting just before they go into the sewers lol.

Aesthetically to me, the close up version looks best. I just don't get why there was so much back and forth on which version to use and how they let so many different ones end up in the final edit.

While waiting impatiently for Frozen Empire to rel[…]

Make it that pack, sell it for $599. (While I […]

Yeah, we've been building this thing for ten[…]

Someone on FB found it. NARDA ELECTROMAGNETIC RADI[…]