By Chris Brewin
Hey all!

Kinda hoping this post can get pinned, cause it seems having one thread to check for the newest and greatest 3D files for ecto goggles might be useful.

In checking this section, it seems like The Goon's files on Thingiverse are pretty solid.

notsabbat's frame looks like a good base, too, but in watching Bill Doran's video on the Punished Props Academy's YouTube channel, it seems like they need some work.

MakerGulbi's frame and extras seem pretty on point, too.

Are there others out there that are better? Does making a Frankenstein's Monster by mixing and matching files from a few different makers yield better results?
By ImperialWalker
Sorry, I just saw this post.

Short version. All the versions I have found online from Goon's to the free ones floating around out there are all inaccurate, but in completely different ways.

I had Goon's in the slicer when I decided to step back and check for accuracy. After seeing a few flaws, I posted on a GB Facebook group asking the exact same thing. After days of looking at different offerings I concluded that there are no accurate google models out there.

As I said above, they all get stuff right and all get stuff wrong, but none of them get most of it right. The main issues are with the body. None of them get the AN/PVS-5a dimensions correct so right off the bat they're inaccurate. From there, the differences are mostly in positions of the knobs/buttons and the accuracy of the eye pieces.

Another issue is that many of the 3D models aren't really designed with 3D printing in mind. Some combine parts making them difficult to print and post process for example.

If you're not all that concerned with accuracy, I would say mix and match based on what you feel looks right. If you're like me and are always trying for that "screen accurate" version, then unfortunately I have not yet found a version that hits the mark for me.

I've been planning on modelling some, but with 20+ projects stacking up, I've been struggling with finding the time.
By NotSabbat
Chris Brewin wrote: March 30th, 2022, 12:26 amnotsabbat's frame looks like a good base, too, but in watching Bill Doran's video on the Punished Props Academy's YouTube channel, it seems like they need some work.
Ok, first off; Yes they do need work . They are fairly accurate, but I made them from photos and what dimensions I could find online rather than a real part and it isn't quite right.

Second off; Bill used a reproduction as a reference photo, not screen used ecto-goggles and the snaps on the replica were wrong (I checked immediately because I was horrified at the thought that I could be so wrong on my model) .

That being said; I later got hold of an actual pair of Israeli AN/PVS-5a, posted a LOT of measurement pictures to GBFans (I never went back and fixed the deminsions that were off) and a member named METATRON did a fantastic job of redoing the body with those measurements. They don't have the odd holes that the actual US AN/PVS-5a has, but its a VERY good recreation of the body.

You can find his build thread here: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=48879&p=4963997#p4963997

and the STLs here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5170520

It looks like Both The Goon and METATRON used lenses based off of WShawn's STL files. I cant find the original thread that MShawn created, but MShawn made an obsessively researched set of lens STLs as a solid piece. Goon modified those STL files into multi-part models that allowed them to rotate in the middle and it looks like METATRON used those same lenses on their release of the Ecto-Goggles STL files.

So, yeah; As far as I know the METATRON files are the best out there, but the walls are kind of thin (Because its a replica of the real thing) so you may have some trouble printing them.

I'd really like to see the new t-shirt unlocks t[…]

Hey and welcome

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]