Discuss all things Ghostbusters here, unless they would be better suited in one of the few forums below.
Hey you guys,

I was wondering what would be an appropriate age for kids to watch the original 'Ghostbusters' movie.
When checking a couple of age ratings on (European) home video releases I noticed they vary quite a bit...

At what age did you introduce your children (or younger siblings, nephews or nieces, ... ) to 'Ghostbusters'?
I think I was introduced to it younger than 10 years old, though I probably shouldn't have seen it as young as I did.
My nephew and nieces were maybe a similar age range to me when they were intoduced to it by my brother and his wife.

The original DVD release of Ghostbusters in the UK was rated PG for "Parental Guideance", so maybe somewhere between 10-12 would be the most appropriate?
fixer79 liked this
I saw Ghostbusters when I was 4, right before I saw GB2 in theaters. GB1 never scared me, but some parts of GB2 definitely freaked me out at that age. My friends introduced it to their son and he’s 3, he’s seen GB1, GB2 and Afterlife and loved all of them. But as others on here have said, I didn’t get much of the humor back then. All I cared about was the equipment, the Ecto and busting ghosts :lol:
CitizenBuster, fixer79 liked this
I recall Aykroyd saying something along the lines of how the film was going to be a “great family picture” on a press interview for the original film in 1984. He also went out of his way to note the film was “F***ing PG!” in the Vegas Showreel. I would say that Ghostbusters is definitely a film that’s completely appropriate for all but maybe the youngest members of the family (five/six or below?)
I have my own issues with the US MPAA ratings (I’m a bit less family with the UK Certificates), but I’m not here to discuss those in-depth.
fixer79 liked this
I saw both when I was five, and I turned out "fine." This is the least appropriate scene, but when I was a kid I just thought Ray had his pants scared off: https://youtu.be/EwKR_y93izs?t=168

Honestly, I'd have no qualms showing it to a five year old. There's nothing inappropriate that wouldn't go over the heads of kids (no violence or anything). Both have one jump scare.
fixer79 liked this
Thanks for the replies, guys! :)

My oldest daughter is 6,5 and has this stuffed Mr. Stay- Puft doll she absolutely adores... That's why I was considering of maybe showing her the movie he's from... :)
I could of course also just show her an episode of the Real Ghostbusters he's in but I dunno... I'd kinda prefer her to see the original movie first...
She's already seen stuff like Edward Scissorhands, Raiders of the Lost Ark and the old Star Wars movies...
Plus- her favourite movie is The Nightmare Before Christmas, so I don't think she would be too scared...

I think I was around the same age when I saw the original Ghostbusters on VHS. Maybe I was 7, tops... I rented that thing over and over from the video store until I was finally able to tape it myself when it was on tv.
I turned out "fine" too. -ish. ;)

Be careful removing the Hasbro weathering using […]

Are these autographs legit?

This is over a month old, but none of the four sig[…]

Charlesworth Dynamics Trap Build

Hi All, The Trap is coming on, I've nearly finish[…]

I found a cool tube at Ollies discount outlet, and[…]