The Searcher wrote: February 2nd, 2022, 12:27 am
tylergfoster wrote: February 1st, 2022, 10:00 pm It's a shame the deleted footage from the original movie haven't been upgraded -- still the same old standard definition clips.
Is it possible that Sony can’t really extract a better image because the Assembly cut is being sourced from the Betamax tape?
Regarding adding the scenes back into the film all nicely restored, I feel like that would go against the fact that I. Reitman considers the original cut of the film to be his preferred presentation of the film, no?
I was talking about the stand-alone deleted scenes, not the assembly cut. Ghostbusters II, the deleted scenes all basically look the same as they were all unearthed during the 21st century. Ghostbusters, on the other hand, has some deleted scenes that were on disc in the DVD era, and some from the 21st century, and the bonus disc here just compiles the exact copies of material from those respective discs and puts them on this new disc.
RichardLess wrote: February 2nd, 2022, 6:55 amI say for the next movie Sony goes all out and spends like 300 million to de age and deepfake the OGB’s and do some sort of time travel thing. The latest episode of “The Book of Boba Fett” features bar none the best de ageing/deepfake I’ve ever seen. I won’t spoil it but..it’s flawless. We are living in a strange new world with that technology.
Even though you can hang a "pandemic box office" asterisk on it, given Ghostbusters: Afterlife is only going to squeak into the black at the box office assuming Japan is good, there's no way they raise the budget for the sequel to more than $100m.
azza200 wrote: February 2nd, 2022, 9:59 am Has anyone heard any details of the Ghostbusters 2 preview cut and what deleted scenes extended scenes are included in it
There is no Ghostbusters II preview cut. There is only a preview cut for Ghostbusters. You do get television edits of both.
I've been slowly delving into the special features disks over the last couple of days.
the Dailies and preview cut especially have been an amazing surprise and a real treat to watch and analyse.
It's an expensive set for sure but for my obsessive ass, it was worth it to own all of that content plus the infamous making of book.

I'd liked to have seen the possessed Ray driving Ecto 1A scene included and a directors commentary for Afterlife, which I found to be odd that they'd forgo but overall its thoroughly impressive.
RedSpecial wrote: February 2nd, 2022, 10:55 amI'd liked to have seen...a directors commentary for Afterlife.
It's too bad, he's been pretty good at recording them, too.
  • Thank You For Smoking (2005) ✔
  • Juno (2007) ✔
  • Up in the Air (2009) ✔
  • Young Adult (2011) ✔
  • Labor Day (2013) ✔
  • Men, Women, & Children (2014) ✘
  • Tully (2018) ✘
  • The Front Runner (2019) ✔
  • Ghostbusters: Afterlife (2021) ✘
azza200 wrote: February 2nd, 2022, 10:23 am
There is no Ghostbusters II preview cut. There is only a preview cut for Ghostbusters. You do get television edits of both.
Yeah i know that as i have the boxset.

I'm asking generally about the GB2 preview cut which must be out there in the vaults
There isn't necessarily a preview cut of Ghostbusters II.
RedSpecial liked this
tylergfoster wrote: February 2nd, 2022, 12:48 pm
RedSpecial wrote: February 2nd, 2022, 10:55 amI'd liked to have seen...a directors commentary for Afterlife.
It's too bad, he's been pretty good at recording them, too.
  • Thank You For Smoking (2005) ✔
  • Juno (2007) ✔
  • Up in the Air (2009) ✔
  • Young Adult (2011) ✔
  • Labor Day (2013) ✔
  • Men, Women, & Children (2014) ✘
  • Tully (2018) ✘
  • The Front Runner (2019) ✔
  • Ghostbusters: Afterlife (2021) ✘
azza200 wrote: February 2nd, 2022, 10:23 am

Yeah i know that as i have the boxset.

I'm asking generally about the GB2 preview cut which must be out there in the vaults
There isn't necessarily a preview cut of Ghostbusters II.
There is, or was, a preview cut of GB2. Whether or not it still exists I’m not sure. But they tested the movie. This is why Slimer’s role was reduced to a short cameo. The audience tapped out whenever he appeared, according to Michael Gross. If you’ve ever read the Cinefex article on GB2 they discuss it I think.
tylergfoster wrote: February 2nd, 2022, 10:09 am
The Searcher wrote: February 2nd, 2022, 12:27 am
Is it possible that Sony can’t really extract a better image because the Assembly cut is being sourced from the Betamax tape?
Regarding adding the scenes back into the film all nicely restored, I feel like that would go against the fact that I. Reitman considers the original cut of the film to be his preferred presentation of the film, no?
I was talking about the stand-alone deleted scenes, not the assembly cut. Ghostbusters II, the deleted scenes all basically look the same as they were all unearthed during the 21st century. Ghostbusters, on the other hand, has some deleted scenes that were on disc in the DVD era, and some from the 21st century, and the bonus disc here just compiles the exact copies of material from those respective discs and puts them on this new disc.
RichardLess wrote: February 2nd, 2022, 6:55 amI say for the next movie Sony goes all out and spends like 300 million to de age and deepfake the OGB’s and do some sort of time travel thing. The latest episode of “The Book of Boba Fett” features bar none the best de ageing/deepfake I’ve ever seen. I won’t spoil it but..it’s flawless. We are living in a strange new world with that technology.
Even though you can hang a "pandemic box office" asterisk on it, given Ghostbusters: Afterlife is only going to squeak into the black at the box office assuming Japan is good, there's no way they raise the budget for the sequel to more than $100m.
It’s funny. When I wrote “300 million” I thought to myself “make it a higher number. Someone is going to think you really are suggesting Sony spend 300 million dollars”. But I didn’t. I thought no way will someone “Well actually..” me on this. 300 million is high enough that the facetiousness will be obvious.

Well it was only a matter of time before tylergfoster proved me wrong on something lol.

I do agree tho that they’ll keep the budget relatively low. It’s actually pretty shocking GBA cost 75 million. It seems like a lot for what’s on screen. Thinking of movies with a comparative amounts of location work & FX. Super 8 & It Part 1 come to mind. It Part 1 cost 35 million. Super 8 40 million. The OGB’s didn’t have main roles so their payday probably wasn’t much. Paul Rudd is a supporting role. They only shot for 60ish days.
CosmoBubba wrote: February 2nd, 2022, 11:54 am I'm watching the edited-for-TV version of the first movie on the special feature discs right now, and am I awful for wishing Sony had edited some old commercials into it? :-P
No that's how I remember it myself. And then see it on VHS that I recorded onto and the end of the movie leading into a movie called Murphy's Law
Halfway through Making Ghostbusters. Thrilled to have it, and this is a minor complaint at best, but it is kind of wild to me that they clearly just scanned a copy of the existing book in order to reprint it. Obviously, it would take a long time to have the book retyped, but it is a little weird seeing photocopied hairs, dirt, and patches that didn't properly scan on some of the pages.
deadderek liked this
tylergfoster wrote:Halfway through Making Ghostbusters. Thrilled to have it, and this is a minor complaint at best, but it is kind of wild to me that they clearly just scanned a copy of the existing book in order to reprint it. Obviously, it would take a long time to have the book retyped, but it is a little weird seeing photocopied hairs, dirt, and patches that didn't properly scan on some of the pages.
They are my scans of my first copy of the book that I gave to Paul Rudoff for his free PDF of the book on Spook Central. For whatever reason, Sony wanted my raw scans, not the final cleaned up version that Devilmanozzy painstakingly did for Paul's PDF. Shrug.

EDIT: I was wrong, Paul gave them both versions.
deadderek, Kingpin, robbritton and 2 others liked this
mrmichaelt wrote: February 3rd, 2022, 12:23 am
tylergfoster wrote:Halfway through Making Ghostbusters. Thrilled to have it, and this is a minor complaint at best, but it is kind of wild to me that they clearly just scanned a copy of the existing book in order to reprint it. Obviously, it would take a long time to have the book retyped, but it is a little weird seeing photocopied hairs, dirt, and patches that didn't properly scan on some of the pages.
They are my scans of my first copy of the book that I gave to Paul Rudoff for his free PDF of the book on Spook Central. For whatever reason, Sony wanted my raw scans, not the final cleaned up version that Devilmanozzy painstakingly did for Paul's PDF. Shrug.
WHY DO THEY MAKE SO MANY WEIRD DECISIONS? I DON'T GET IT
deadderek, Kingpin liked this
GhostFaceX wrote: WHY DO THEY MAKE SO MANY WEIRD DECISIONS? I DON'T GET IT
At the time, we speculated they wanted to do cleaning and cropping themselves but uh... guess we were wrong. I don't know what version they used or why. I'll know for sure what version they used when my copy comes.

EDIT: To reiterate, Paul gave them both the raw scans and the final version.
RichardLess wrote: I say for the next movie Sony goes all out and spends like 300 million to de age and deepfake the OGB’s and do some sort of time travel thing. The latest episode of “The Book of Boba Fett” features bar none the best de ageing/deepfake I’ve ever seen. I won’t spoil it but..it’s flawless. We are living in a strange new world with that technology.
TBF, if Sony execs were to incur some kind of collective head trauma and budget $300million on the next Ghostbusters movie, the last thing I'd want them to spend it on is de-aging the older Ghostbusters. But, I get your point with the tech.
tylergfoster liked this
tylergfoster wrote: February 1st, 2022, 10:00 pm One minor complaint: they went through all of the Ghostbusters footage for Afterlife. They have the restored version of the "World's Fair" scene at the end of Afterlife, so they must have found it. It's a shame the deleted footage from the original movie haven't been upgraded -- still the same old standard definition clips.
The logical explanation is that Afterlife had the budget to get the World's Fair coin scene and the dailies restored to cinematic quality compared to the Blu-Ray set's likely budget - if they were restored, rather than transferred from a better, previously-unseen copy/work print of the film.
Ecto24601 wrote: February 2nd, 2022, 6:30 am Food for thought: maybe they're holding back on possessed Ray to use it as a plotline in a sequel for Vigo's return. It's been hinted at by Jason in a couple of interviews and that footage could be a comfortable way to open the door. Time is but a window...
I doubt a return of Vigo would serve as some barrier to including the deleted scenes in full.

And with that said, I think bringing Vigo back would be a waste of an opportunity to create a new antagonist for the Ghostbusters to face, especially as it's largely implied that Vigo's presence was destroyed at the end of the second film.

Gozer was easy to bring back as the door was sort of left open at the end of the first film (not that we knew it at the time), and any changes in voice or appearance can be attributed to Gozer's ability to choose it's appearance, and resurrecting Harold/Egon digitally worked for the film - helped by the fact it was in night-time shots, he was ghostly-transparent, and appeared on-screen for a short period of the film... I think resurrecting Vigo digitally following Wilhelm von Homburg and Max von Sydow having passed away isn't as necessary a plot point or an expense.
azza200 liked this
Kingpin wrote: February 3rd, 2022, 4:51 am
Ecto24601 wrote: February 2nd, 2022, 6:30 am Food for thought: maybe they're holding back on possessed Ray to use it as a plotline in a sequel for Vigo's return. It's been hinted at by Jason in a couple of interviews and that footage could be a comfortable way to open the door. Time is but a window...
I doubt a return of Vigo would serve as some barrier to including the deleted scenes in full.

And with that said, I think bringing Vigo back would be a waste of an opportunity to create a new antagonist for the Ghostbusters to face, especially as it's largely implied that Vigo's presence was destroyed at the end of the second film.

Gozer was easy to bring back as the door was sort of left open at the end of the first film (not that we knew it at the time), and any changes in voice or appearance can be attributed to Gozer's ability to choose it's appearance, and resurrecting Harold/Egon digitally worked for the film - helped by the fact it was in night-time shots, he was ghostly-transparent, and appeared on-screen for a short period of the film... I think resurrecting Vigo digitally following Wilhelm von Homburg and Max von Sydow having passed away isn't as necessary a plot point or an expense.
As a flashback, a scene depicting Ray trying to kill his buddies is gold for any sequel. And what are the post-effects of having been possessed? Just saying. Especially with the more serious tone Jason and Gil brought back to the franchise. It doesn't have to be Vigo's return, but it's a good plotpoint for the future.
Respect to Afterlife, but we don't need another movie spending copious amounts of runtime adding context and exposition to characters who barely appear.

I can't imagine any way of integrating the Ray possession scene in an Afterlife sequel unless they resurrect Vigo. And if they resurrect Vigo, then they aren't the team to be carrying the franchise forward, because that movie will bomb.
RichardLess wrote: February 2nd, 2022, 4:46 am Now. That being said. There’s also William Forsche. That dude seems to have a black & white workprint of GB2.
That particular tape is just individual scenes, not a complete workprint. I have Tim Lawrence’s copy of the same tape. Remember the BTS footage of Ivan and Bill at ILM going over Slimer scenes? This tape was dubbed from that Moviola (the big edit machine they were using).

However, there definitely was a test screening workprint of GB2. I'm not sure if a VHS exists. I would be shocked if it didn't. After seeing the GB1 rough cut, I’m jonesing hard for it.

I’m dancing around some stuff here. For the record, I’m not spilling anything from the Too Hot doc. Whatever I post here is from my own personal research/collection.
RichardLess wrote: February 2nd, 2022, 4:46 am I don’t think they are holding anything back, the more I think about it. It just doesn’t make sense.

D Osborn might also know. He’s working on the GB2 documentary and might know when this stuff was found, or if certain stuff is for sure lost. He’s mentioned some big surprises on the documentary but whether or not that’s deleted scene related I’m not sure.
I’m familiar with where the material came from, but it’s not my story to tell.

I don’t think it’s out of the realm of possibility that things are being held back to make future releases have some splash. The missing GB2 scenes seem rather 1A-focused, don’t you think? Considering Jason’s comments when asked about the 1A, perhaps there’s a little correlation? Will the Afterlife sequel have a meta connection to GB2? Are they holding back stuff for the eventual NEW Ultimate Box Set?

Personally, I’m totally cool with that. Getting everything at once would be cool, but I love the anticipation. The conversation. The mysteries. The new box set answered a lot of things, but also created new questions! Having a white whale is a gas.
mrmichaelt wrote: February 2nd, 2022, 5:41 am I can verify this. After a month and change, around January 17, 2019, Paul contacted by me about what unreleased content he'd hypothetically like to see be released for the 35th anniversary. I'm fairly sure they were asking webmasters of fan sites that they had contact info of. Myself and Devilmanozzy helped him compile a list.
We should compare notes! I sent a similar list to Ghost Corps around 2015-2016, when the Cleanin’ doc was still potentially going to bear the Sony logo. I need to dig it out. Personally, the Aykroyd pitch material is my big missing piece. The script, the Daveikis art, more of Dan’s sketches, and Dan’s self-produced video. I also remember asking about photos from June 83 in Martha’s Vineyard. Obvious stuff, of course— deleted scenes, dailies, raw footage of what’s used in the 1984 promos. Stream/trapping tests would be great to see.

What really gets my imagination going is thinking about what we don’t know about.
mrmichaelt wrote: February 2nd, 2022, 5:41 am I would guess this stuff came from the Kansas salt mine where Sony kept stuff preserved. But as they've hinted, back then in the 80s, they weren't thinking of archival (and probably organizing) so finding it was like a bit of Indiana Jones and the time between the 35th anniversary steelbook and this set was probably how much more stuff they found from that mine that still had to be processed.
I don’t think it was a matter of the material not being processed. Scanning 35mm is pretty easy and standard. Perhaps they were instructed to only pull and scan certain bits. It seems to me like it would be easier and faster to have all of the elements scanned, them sort through on a hard drive. It’s a professional production— there are slates, there are schedules, scripts, and call sheets. They know what’s what.

I’m still making my way through the box set, so my thoughts may change on this. The raw dailies are super nice scans of the original camera elements stored in the salt mines), this has been explained by Jason. I think the deleted scenes (in edited form) were likely physically cut from the workprint in 1983 by Sheldon Kahn. Remember the Fort Detmerring and Honeymooners reel boxes that Ghost Corps shared? They’re not nearly large enough to be full reels. The physical film used in the edit process isn’t the original camera elements. It’s duplicated, so the raw film isn’t damaged in the process. A nice 35mm film presentation is gorgeous and clean. Celluloid is handled in the edit process, cut, taped, draped over shoulders, clipped to a board—giving the material dirt, funky color, pops and ticks and other film artifacts. However, this stuff is all 35mm scanned at 4K, so it looks INCREDIBLE.
mrmichaelt wrote: February 3rd, 2022, 12:23 am They are my scans of my first copy of the book that I gave to Paul Rudoff for his free PDF of the book on Spook Central. For whatever reason, Sony wanted my raw scans, not the final cleaned up version that Devilmanozzy painstakingly did for Paul's PDF. Shrug.
That’s awesome it’s from your copy! I grabbed my reprint to look at a few things, and holy hell— that last page thanking you and Paul is insanely cool. You must be very proud! Congrats!

The reprint came out beautifully. Better than I was expecting. A lot of things that have been scanned and reprinted from Making GB generally turns out pretty poor, imo. The photos and illustrations are here simply gorgeous here. The text is easy to read. The paper quality is awesome. Nice binding. It's like we're in a magical GB DREAM LAND or something.
mrmichaelt wrote: February 3rd, 2022, 12:23 am

EDIT: I was wrong, Paul gave them both versions.
Cool. How long ago did that happen? That they asked you for those scans?
d_osborn wrote: February 3rd, 2022, 9:08 am We should compare notes! I sent a similar list to Ghost Corps around 2015-2016, when the Cleanin’ doc was still potentially going to bear the Sony logo. I need to dig it out. Personally, the Aykroyd pitch material is my big missing piece. The script, the Daveikis art, more of Dan’s sketches, and Dan’s self-produced video. I also remember asking about photos from June 83 in Martha’s Vineyard. Obvious stuff, of course— deleted scenes, dailies, raw footage of what’s used in the 1984 promos. Stream/trapping tests would be great to see.

What really gets my imagination going is thinking about what we don’t know about.
Sure, shoot me a PM whenever.
d_osborn wrote: February 3rd, 2022, 9:08 am I don’t think it was a matter of the material not being processed. Scanning 35mm is pretty easy and standard. Perhaps they were instructed to only pull and scan certain bits. It seems to me like it would be easier and faster to have all of the elements scanned, them sort through on a hard drive. It’s a professional production— there are slates, there are schedules, scripts, and call sheets. They know what’s what.
Well, I'm officially suspicious. :P
d_osborn wrote: February 3rd, 2022, 9:08 am That’s awesome it’s from your copy! I grabbed my reprint to look at a few things, and holy hell— that last page thanking you and Paul is insanely cool. You must be very proud! Congrats!
It's surreal to be accumulating actual special thanks/credits.
d_osborn wrote: February 3rd, 2022, 9:08 am The reprint came out beautifully. Better than I was expecting. A lot of things that have been scanned and reprinted from Making GB generally turns out pretty poor, imo. The photos and illustrations are here simply gorgeous here. The text is easy to read. The paper quality is awesome. Nice binding. It's like we're in a magical GB DREAM LAND or something.
That's reassuring to hear.
RichardLess wrote: February 3rd, 2022, 9:54 am Cool. How long ago did that happen? That they asked you for those scans?
They asked Paul for the scans in August last year.
tylergfoster liked this
Kingpin wrote: February 3rd, 2022, 4:51 am
tylergfoster wrote: February 1st, 2022, 10:00 pm One minor complaint: they went through all of the Ghostbusters footage for Afterlife. They have the restored version of the "World's Fair" scene at the end of Afterlife, so they must have found it. It's a shame the deleted footage from the original movie haven't been upgraded -- still the same old standard definition clips.
The logical explanation is that Afterlife had the budget to get the World's Fair coin scene and the dailies restored to cinematic quality compared to the Blu-Ray set's likely budget - if they were restored, rather than transferred from a better, previously-unseen copy/work print of the film.
I think you misunderstood what I meant. I'm saying that there's no question the "World's Fair" footage was found, scanned, and cleaned up for the movie. The work is already done. Why not swap out the decades-old SD file for at least that scene on this set and replace it with the fresh scan? Not asking for them to do any additional restoration work, but one scene exists in better quality already post-Afterlife, and I bet it isn't the only piece.

Also, side note: I know not everyone will care to do this or like the idea, but in case anyone is wondering, I took my 35th Anniversary Steelbook (which I can't get rid of, because it's autographed) and swapped the discs into that. Turning two cases into one created enough space in the set to put my 2016 Steelbook in there, so now my "Ultimate" collection does have all the movies in it.

mrmichaelt liked this
RichardLess wrote: February 2nd, 2022, 4:46 amI don’t think it’s out of the realm of possibility that things are being held back to make future releases have some splash. The missing GB2 scenes seem rather 1A-focused, don’t you think? Considering Jason’s comments when asked about the 1A, perhaps there’s a little correlation? Will the Afterlife sequel have a meta connection to GB2? Are they holding back stuff for the eventual NEW Ultimate Box Set?

Personally, I’m totally cool with that. Getting everything at once would be cool, but I love the anticipation. The conversation. The mysteries. The new box set answered a lot of things, but also created new questions! Having a white whale is a gas.
And while that may be fun for you, some of us can't keep spending the £/$150 on set's every few years with little to no difference between them, especially in terms of film quality or special features. I know Sony needs to milk this franchise for all it's worth but to have a difinitive set of the first two without having to worry about what's coming next because of the reboot/sequels would be nice.
groovygoth666 wrote: And while that may be fun for you, some of us can't keep spending the £/$150 on set's every few years with little to no difference between them, especially in terms of film quality or special features. I know Sony needs to milk this franchise for all it's worth but to have a difinitive set of the first two without having to worry about what's coming next because of the reboot/sequels would be nice.
I think they need to slow down the merchandise for 2022/23 and then come back with something in 2024 (in support of a new movie & 40th anniversary).

We've reached saturation point. I've spent over £700-800 on GB merch in the last 3 years.

To keep us ticking over a new SD blu ray release of the cartoon series, some more Kenner reissues would suffice. I think we may get a Plasma RTV this year. That's gonna be my limit for a while.
Charlesworth Dynamics Trap Build

Hi All, The Trap is coming on, I've nearly finish[…]

I found a cool tube at Ollies discount outlet, and[…]

Finally got my copy today - It's not the worst I'v[…]

I don't remember exactly, But I think I've had pr[…]