So...

The more I've thought about it the more I wanna hear what others think about this, but I have now watched the Preview Cut of Ghostbusters and think that Jason and Gil must've absolutely used some of the deleted material to inform their writing of Afterlife. Some things like Venkman's focus on advertising, Egon going to the press to warn about a "psychic shock", the extra bits of Janine helping take care of Egon, all of these little elements feel like they were incorporated into Afterlife. Venkman especially is almost presented as a different character in the preview cut. The chosen scenes and performances present a slightly more vulnerable Peter Venkman and I think given audience attitudes in the 80s, they made the right choice in going with his more confident performance but it really stood out to me.

Anyone else think the preview cut, and not the theatrical cut of GB1, served as the basis for Afterlife?
RedSpecial, azza200 liked this
groovygoth666 wrote: February 26th, 2022, 9:23 pm Quick question, has anybody been able to rip the preview cut? And if so what software did you use to get it as the copyright protection is proving tricky to get around.
Just a heads-up those types of questions can't be discussed here on GB Fans.
deadderek wrote: February 26th, 2022, 9:45 pm
groovygoth666 wrote: February 26th, 2022, 9:23 pm Quick question, has anybody been able to rip the preview cut? And if so what software did you use to get it as the copyright protection is proving tricky to get around.
Just a heads-up those types of questions can't be discussed here on GB Fans.
Oh right, sorry about that, I figure asking someone to share it would be out of the question, but I own the set and wanted to make a digital copy for my own use that was all.
Ecto24601 wrote: March 4th, 2022, 5:21 am A certain, long-running and popular Ghostbusters fansite uploaded the montage from the preview cut. It's fun to watch it while listening to the never-used Ghostbusters song from the ShoWest reel. Alternate reality 1984 kinda.
Spook Central guys.
spookcentral liked this
deadderek wrote: March 4th, 2022, 5:37 am
Ecto24601 wrote: March 4th, 2022, 5:21 am A certain, long-running and popular Ghostbusters fansite uploaded the montage from the preview cut. It's fun to watch it while listening to the never-used Ghostbusters song from the ShoWest reel. Alternate reality 1984 kinda.
Spook Central guys.
deadderek, spookcentral liked this
Ecto24601 wrote: March 4th, 2022, 11:37 am
deadderek wrote: March 4th, 2022, 5:37 am

Spook Central guys.
There's several long running GB sites. I was just helping people out.
ccv66 liked this
mrmichaelt wrote: March 5th, 2022, 2:53 am
GhostbustersZorge wrote:I seriously can't find it on the page, where is it?
On his First Cut page, he posted a reformatted version of it. He links to it in his review as well.
https://www.theraffon.net/spookcentral/ ... -first-cut
I was cautious to directly link to it. But anyways, combine the clip with this: https://www.theraffon.net/spookcentral/ ... howest.mp3
(From here: https://www.theraffon.net/spookcentral/ ... heme-songs)

And you will feel funky.

Cool heads under fire
Never mess with the Ghostbusters
GhostbustersZorge liked this
Kingpin wrote: March 7th, 2022, 3:25 pm
d_osborn wrote: March 7th, 2022, 7:19 am Where do you draw the line for posted content?
There are times it seems to be an ever-shifting map, one we probably end up having to judge on a case-by-case basis.
I get that. It's crazy looking at it from a few steps back, though. A fan site posts a complete book scan. Rather than send a C&D to defend their IP, they reprint the scan, distribute it, and thank them for it. That's wild! An interesting legal gray area. It's awesome Ghost Corps works with the fans on so many fronts. Much love to the Spook Central team! :love:
d_osborn wrote:I get that. It's crazy looking at it from a few steps back, though. A fan site posts a complete book scan. Rather than send a C&D to defend their IP, they reprint the scan, distribute it, and thank them for it. That's wild! An interesting legal gray area. It's awesome Ghost Corps works with the fans on so many fronts. Much love to the Spook Central team! :love:
Says the guy working on a crowd funded documentary about the making of the 84 and 89 movies. :P
spookcentral, deadderek liked this
UEF wrote: February 8th, 2022, 4:47 am One issue I'd like to report - as with the 1+2 Steelbook, the "Slimer Mode" on Ghostbusters 84 is almost entirely silent - you can hear the background movie, but the speakers in the window are mute. Is there some sort of incompatibility with certain Blu Ray players that causes this?
Apologies for replying to a post from a month ago, but since no one else answered this, I might as well.

I've had this issue before with picture-in-picture features on other sets. You have to change the audio settings on your player. Look for something like "BD-Video Secondary Audio" and turn it ON. On my Panasonic 4K player, that's under Digital Audio Output, along with Dolby, DTS, and MPEG, which I have all set to PCM (but that may be unrelated to the issue).

If you player doesn't have that setting, play around with whatever audio settings you have until you find the setting that does the trick.
I know I'm a bit late to the party on this reply, but I feel like I should add a comment about the Making Ghostbusters book after just reading all of the comments y'all wrote over the past month. (WARNING: THIS WILL BE LONG AND DETAILED.)

I'm happy that everyone is enjoying the book reprint in the box set. Yes, Sony came to me asking for a copy last Summer. (I think I gave the date of the email from my Sony contact in my review for posterity.) I did give Sony both set of scans: MrMichaelT's raw scans and the cleaned up scans that Matthew Jordan did from the PDF. Neither set is perfect.

The raw scans, which I'm surprised I still had, needed to be cropped and cleaned up. Matt's cleaned-up scans have extra compression in them because they came from the PDF. When I do image-to-PDF work, I tend to save the images with a little extra jpeg compression so as to reduce the PDF file size. I let Sony choose which ones they wanted to use.

I confirmed with Sony that they used the raw scans, though I could tell just by comparing it to the PDF on Spook Central. The reprint has some flaws that Matt cleaned up in Spook Central's copy. Mostly, there was a hair on MrMichaelT's scanner that he never caught before scanning the 200+ pages. It's in the same spot in every raw scan! Sony did clean out most of them. I think I only spotted six or so left in the reprint. There's also two or three blemishes Sony missed.

The big issue with both sets of scans has to do with an issue with the way MrMichaelT scanned them. I don't think I ever told him this because I was afraid he'd be insulted. Please don't be, Michael. In short, the pages were scanned in favoring the text and not the photos. I'll explain using my scanner settings as an example. I'm sure all scanners have similar settings.

My scanner has four settings for quality: Auto, Photo, Magazine, and Document. When you do a preview scan and it's set to Auto, it will try to determine which of the other three settings to use based upon what it sees in the preview. When set to Magazine and Document, the contrast and a few other things will automatically be adjusted in an effort to reproduce a better quality scan. If set to Photo, the scanner will not make any image adjustments, and the item willl be scanned in *exactly* as it as it exists in real life.

MrMichaelT's scanner should have been set to Photo, but it was not. If I had to guess, he might have had it on Auto and did a preview scan of the first page, which was just text. Then he kept scanning, without doing another preview scan on a mixed text/photo page, so all pages were scanned with the contrast, etc. set as per the first page.

What that means is that the photos are *very* dark in both sets of scans. I don't think Matt did any adjustments to correct that. The good news is that I told Sony about that issue when I gave them both sets of scans and they DID lighten up the photos in the reprint! (I wonder if Sony would give me *their* cleaned-up scans.)

I compared the reprint book to the raw scans and the Spook Central PDF. I can definitely see an improvement in the photos in the reprint. In that regard, the reprint looks a hell of a lot better than the Spook Central PDF. Of course, the PDF is free of that dreaded hair :-)

So, while the reprint isn't perfect, I can definitely tell you that Sony DID do some clean-up work on it. You need only compare it to the photos in the Spook Central PDF to see that. I debated about providing one raw scan in my review, but I would also need to scan in a page from the reprint to compare it to, and I don't want to put any wear on my reprint.

I also second what MrMichaelT said about the paper quality they used for the reprint. It is fantastic and WAY better than the paper they used on the original book, which in my opinion, is pretty low quality. Anybody who's scanned in material from the original book knows that the paper and print quality is not the greatest. Compare the original book to Insight Edition's Ultimate History book and you'll see a night-and-day difference. It was what it was for a book with an MSRP of like $15 in 1985.
No insult perceived. It was amateur hour. I swear I double checked the tray for debris before I did the marathon scan. The scans were something that had to be done and I volunteered to do it lacking any experience. I borrowed a printer/scanner/fax combo to do it in one day and it died shortly after I finished so no clue what setting it was only. Auto sounds likely (and yeah, I paid for the replacement without any quibbles, though the Best Buy employee tried to pull an upsell on me).

One other thing I noticed, kind of odd the restored RGB pilot was not in this release. So as of now, it's only in the 2019 steelbook. Not a deal breaker, but another odd omission.
mrmichaelt wrote: March 10th, 2022, 11:52 pm One other thing I noticed, kind of odd the restored RGB pilot was not in this release. So as of now, it's only in the 2019 steelbook. Not a deal breaker, but another odd omission.
Yes, that's the only material exclusive to the 2019 Steelbook. Otherwise, the 2022 UC set replaces it completely.

I can only guess that Sony left it out of the UC because it's not related to any of the movies. Certainly there was room for it :-)
spookcentral wrote: March 11th, 2022, 7:41 pm I can only guess that Sony left it out of the UC because it's not related to any of the movies. Certainly there was room for it :-)
Yet, it was on the 2019 release and well, one could argue RGB kept GB in the public sphere in the intervening years that led to GB2. So GB2 does owe some of its creation to RGB existing...
spookcentral wrote:
mrmichaelt wrote: March 10th, 2022, 11:52 pm One other thing I noticed, kind of odd the restored RGB pilot was not in this release. So as of now, it's only in the 2019 steelbook. Not a deal breaker, but another odd omission.
I can only guess that Sony left it out of the UC because it's not related to any of the movies. Certainly there was room for it :-)
Or it will be released as part of a future RGB box set. I think there is enough indication the series may receive another release, though the physical market is dying off.
Chicken, He Clucked wrote: March 12th, 2022, 1:32 am Or it will be released as part of a future RGB box set. I think there is enough indication the series may receive another release, though the physical market is dying off.
Hmm, that is plausible. It was like 8 years between the Time Life set and the 2016 set by Sony. Maybe they'll do another set in the range of 2024 to 2026. 2026 being the 40th anniversary of RGB. Pie in the sky it would have all of RGB, the restore pilot, all of Slimer! and all of EGB. That would be a rad limited edition anniversary set.
deadderek liked this

Be careful removing the Hasbro weathering using […]

Are these autographs legit?

This is over a month old, but none of the four sig[…]

Charlesworth Dynamics Trap Build

Hi All, The Trap is coming on, I've nearly finish[…]

I found a cool tube at Ollies discount outlet, and[…]