Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
mrmichaelt wrote: December 27th, 2021, 6:21 am Maybe Jason at GB News will post his review this week. :P j/k no way he'll get it so soon...
It appears we've summoned him like some of information genie! He's got more details over on GhostbustersNews.

There's a bullet point for Afterlife that says "Deleted Scene: Is It Ever Too Late?"

It later says "19 Deleted Scenes – a collection of never-before-seen deleted scenes!" on Special Feature Disc 2, but it seems like that's meant for Ghostbusters II?
Yeah other sources are clarifying it's GB2.

Looking at the loooong list of new things we're getting...well I'm making the jump from just the 4k to the whole damn box.

Outstanding job.
Well, those extras for GB1 & 2 are amazing and make this a must-buy but with major caveats - given the 35th anniversary blu ray just released and this dumps all over it, that release feels kind of cynical now.

If I am reading correctly they’re still only including 1 deleted scene for Afterlife and I am bitterly disappointed by this. This is the Afterlife home release after all. It seemed likely some of it’s problems could be eased by an extended cut. The decision not to include these much-talked about deleted scenes smacks of a yet another cynical decision to re-release Afterlife down the line, and given the coherency problems and one dimensional characters, I am not happy about this. :boogieman:

Think I need to take time out from the franchise for a while after the tumultuous 5 years we’ve had. This box set and the Hasbro pack will do. Outside of the amazing merch, I think Afterlife is a worse self-contained movie than ATC - and I’ve talked at length about that movies problems in the appropriate threads… brings me no pleasure to say this, but Afterlife left me majorly disappointed. Oh well.
I'd sell off my 35th Steelbook but I got it signed by Ray Parker JR himself. I couldn't part with it.

This boxset is a day 1 buy for me.
Part of me is incredibly disappointed while the other part isn't the least bit surprised. Studios have gotten more and more stingy in recent years with home video releases, a commentary track used to be practically a given, now it feels like winning the lottery if there is one. I wasn't holding my breath for an extended cut or the alternate takes of the OGs, but even Jason's last movie The Front Runner (also Sony) got a commentary track, I mean sheesh.

The new box set looks impressive overall, but it's downright comical when you read the laundry list of features for the first two movies, and there's hardly anything for Afterlife. So now the best we can hope for is a double-dip extended cut/special edition type release down the road, but that would also make this new "Ultimate Collection" outdated if/when that comes out, so I'm not holding my breath for that either.
I'd be curious to know if any of the other studios out there are as in-bed with drip feeding the special features content as Sony has proven to be over the years...
Even the house of mouse isn't quite this nefarious even though it could and would get away with it if it wanted to.

What features are included with this new set do look good... But as a long-neglected DVD collector, and someone who bought the 35th anniversary Blu-Ray set that only came out in 2019, I get why people are frustrated and unhappy.
Kingpin wrote: December 27th, 2021, 10:23 am I'd be curious to know if any of the other studios out there are as in-bed with drip feeding the special features content as Sony has proven to be over the years...
Even the house of mouse isn't quite this nefarious even though it could and would get away with it if it wanted to.

What features are included with this new set do look good... But as a long-neglected DVD collector, and someone who bought the 35th anniversary Blu-Ray set that only came out in 2019, I get why people are frustrated and unhappy.
I’m thinking there’s an explanation.

This might be the result of that “salt mine” find.

But holy crap. 19 new deleted GB2 scenes. For a total of 26. That’s gotta be all of them. It’s a shame they’ll prob be work print versions. It’s also bothered me that we KNOW ILM finished most of the cut Slimer scenes. We know this from the CineFex magazine. They have him composited it in and finished. And yet…all we’ve seen are temp work print stuff.

Still tho. This is it. This is what we’ve been waiting for.
Have they discussed any deleted scenes for afterlife yet? I'd be interested to know why they decided not to include Slimer in Afterlife, even though we see him on marketing products.

As for GB2016 being a digital file, yeah I agree it's better then re-packaging the box set and waiting even longer to get this set. I really do hope that this puts the "journalists" into nap mode for a while.
deadderek liked this
timeware wrote:Have they discussed any deleted scenes for afterlife yet? I'd be interested to know why they decided not to include Slimer in Afterlife, even though we see him on marketing products.
Jason addressed this. Slimer was located in New York - no plot reason for him to be in Summerville.
Gentle nudge: GB, GB2, ATC discussion of the set goes here: viewtopic.php?f=54&p=4964329#p4964329

So 1 deleted scene? Well, get ready to own 10 copies of Afterlife over the next 30 years.
timeware wrote: December 27th, 2021, 4:02 pm Have they discussed any deleted scenes for afterlife yet? I'd be interested to know why they decided not to include Slimer in Afterlife, even though we see him on marketing products.
Yes, some cut material has been talked about. We've also been sussing out deleted/alternate takes from the trailers and promos here: viewtopic.php?f=108&t=48702
Kingpin, Alphagaia liked this
I think the 35th anniversary was advertised as a limited run. Steel cases almost always sale out. I'm kinda looking at the other box sets back to the future, Indiana Jones, lord of the rings ect.. but I don't think you can buy those 4k trilogies individually. The Columbia pictures classic box sets ( Sony) those are limited , but went from $165 to $70. That being said if it does sale out, its probably going from $145 to $300
Kingpin wrote: December 27th, 2021, 7:40 pm
ccv66 wrote: December 27th, 2021, 6:49 pmI'm sure this box set will be $60 in 6 months
If it's around in six months. The 35th Anniversary edition disappeared really quickly.
I barely managed to snag a copy. My local Walmart had none on the shelf when I looked. By happy coincidence I chose to browse the other movies & found presumably the last just chilling in the wrong spot. :)
ccv66 liked this
ccv66 wrote: December 28th, 2021, 1:23 am There's three topics on the home release of afterlife. instead of trying to funnel people to the correct topic, maybe just condense it to one.
I see 2 about the Ultimate Collection, one about Making Ghostbusters being in it and one about the press release, in News and 1 here in the Afterlife section about Afterlife's Home Entertainment release. I don't think it's too hard to figure out where to talk about what but I'll ask Kingpin if he could merge the two News threads into one.
ccv66 liked this

I'd really like to see the new t-shirt unlocks t[…]

Hey and welcome

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]