Discuss the upcoming 4th movie, Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire to be released in March 2024.
Ecto24601 wrote: December 2nd, 2022, 8:40 am Seeing that shot of de-aged Harrison Ford in the Indy 5 trailer that just dropped makes me want that for the OGBs in Firehouse SO BAD!! We got the tools, we got the talent, we got the technology that it doesn't look awkward anymore.
This. 1000x this.

Some alternate dimension thing, anything.

Maybe they could go back to ‘84 somehow in an interesting way. With short visuals with distorted cgi.

This whole franchise has a problem in that the actual Ghostbusters are getting old. The actors themselves are getting too old to be in sequels. But the Sony brand name icons are the original 4 guys.

Superman is always Kal-El, Batman is always Bruce Wayne and the real Ghostbusters will always be Venkman, Stantz, Spengler and Zeddemore. Alive here or spectral forces in another dimension. Amodal manifestations of humanity’s passion, intelligence, practicality and humor. Cognitive phenomenological constructs if need be, but those names are eternal.

I would not be surprised if Gozer does kill all the remaining original Ghostbusters in the beginning of Firehouse in a horrible “worse than death fate” kind of way. As revenge for their paranormal meddling?

It turns out another Sumerian God from the Annunaki pantheon was pulling the strings since GB1 trying to stop Gozer (driving Egon insane and to Summerville). Something mentioned before.

This new God (Marduk, Tiamat, Imdugud, An, Enlil or Enki) enables a dimensional portal where those kids are in direct contact with the ‘84 Ghostbusters who become advisory figures to the new crew behind the scenes. To not only save the Earth but their future horrible fate from materialising.

Thematically it would make sense:

GB1: Fighting demons and ghosts on Earth using human passion (Ray), intelligence (Egon), common sense (Winston) and wit (Venkman)

GBA: one layer higher, the actual death of a member and being on “the other side” (Afterlife) in defeating a single God.

GBF: All GB’s being dead and alive at the same time in different dimensions and fighting an entire plural Pantheon of Gods in metaphysical realities.

Financially it would make sense

The rights holders to the license are the actors themselves (and the Reitman and Ramis estates).

They could have a way of keeping the original Ghostbusters in the franchise forever without needing them to perform live (only voices possibly). Could even be distorted imagery considering the “dimensional portal” therefore not requiring perfectly rendered cgi.

I went off on a huge tangent (as usual). Sorry about that 😊 Just thinking out loud really.
Last edited by One time on December 5th, 2022, 7:55 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Jason said GB2 is canon. Just was unneeded to be referenced in a Gozer-centeic plot.

Rays occult is a centerpiece to a pivotal part of the story.

“Hasnt been a ghost sighting in 30 years” (1990)

Thats enough for me.

The ghostbusters had a heyday in the 80s and dwindled at the turn of the 90s. So they had all the “adventures” they just all came to an end at a point.

Hell, the ghostbusters were out of step has-beens at the beginning of Gb2. The development of where they were in Afterlife made sense in that consistency and continuity
BatDan wrote: December 5th, 2022, 7:24 pm Jason said GB2 is canon. Just was unneeded to be referenced in a Gozer-centeic plot.

Rays occult is a centerpiece to a pivotal part of the story.

“Hasnt been a ghost sighting in 30 years” (1990)

Thats enough for me.

The ghostbusters had a heyday in the 80s and dwindled at the turn of the 90s. So they had all the “adventures” they just all came to an end at a point.

Hell, the ghostbusters were out of step has-beens at the beginning of Gb2. The development of where they were in Afterlife made sense in that consistency and continuity
Sorry BatDan. I believe you replied to the long part of my post where I mentioned that Afterlife felt like it did the GB adventure a disservice in making it look like they were in business a short time. My post was really too long and I realized I should have just stuck to the de aging issue, so I deleted that part. It was too much of a ramble. Apologies that you replied at that moment. Agree with your post about GB2 👍
BatDan liked this
RichardLess wrote: April 26th, 2022, 2:08 am My timing is wonderful. I was just about to mention that I had heard Jason Reitman is not directing the next movie but is executive producing and heavily involved and then Sony officially announces the next movie.

I was told 3 names that Sony wants. One is James Bobin another is Jake Kasdan and the other, which is hilarious because I mentioned this the other week, Shawn Levy.

Take this with a huge pinch of salt. Tho the fact that I was told this the very day Sony announces a new film? I dunno. Right now they are developing it within canon. So it’s an actual sequel.

Of course this all could be legit and things change. If the trades pick this up then I’m guessing the info is good. But you just never know in this industry. 3 weeks ago Will Smith could’ve had any film greenlit with just his name attached. Now he’s persona non grata.

Exciting times.
So I posted this months ago. It was one of the last things I heard while employed at my old job.
Hmm. So I wonder when I was told this if they had Gil locked in then because I had heard Jason wasn’t directing it but then everything else since then seemed to indicate he was.

Very interesting turn of events.

Can’t say I’m confident in Gil’s directing ability considering his Poltergeist remake was awful and City of Ember was eh.

Hmmm.
One time wrote: December 5th, 2022, 6:53 pm
The rights holders to the license are the actors themselves (and the Reitman and Ramis estates).
This isn't the case anymore. Sony has rights in majority, if not in full, these days. I think since before ATC. It's why and how they formed Ghost Corps in 2015 so they could devote man power to revitalize the franchise, and was headed by Ivan Reitman, now Jason, and Dan Aykroyd.

For those clamoring for deaging the actors or CGI masking new actors to play younger versions of the original crew... both processes are expensive and currently don't always look great or don't age well. Like, if it serves the story, great, fine, do it, but if it's just there for an eye catch or just for nostalgia's sake, hard no. I'd rather those resources be used to help push a new, interesting story. Sony doesn't have endless money like Disney did a couple years back (yes, even they're hurting for cash), so I'd rather have the torch passed with Ray and Winston in smaller support roles and the SFX budget going towards fun ghosts and busting scenes than tossing in potentially useless cameos of the original 4 in their younger days, this forcing the SFX ghosts being nothing more than sock puppets with googly eyes glued on and VERY angry eye brows drawn on with black markers.
deadderek liked this
So at the end of Ghostbusters 1, Peter and Dana were together and things looked like there was a bright future ahead. Flash forward 5 years and we find out they broke up and Dana had a baby with another man.

What's our thoughts on Gary and Callie for Firehouse?

I have a feeling they'll be together as a couple, but not married. Maybe the thought of marriage will come up a few times during the movie?
Alphagaia wrote: December 6th, 2022, 12:13 am It's going to be a Christmas movie, right? I think that answers all your romance questions.
This Post Contains Spoilers
We know it'll be released around December, was there mention of the movie taking place during Xmas time yet?
deadderek wrote: December 6th, 2022, 12:32 am We know it'll be released around December, was there mention of the movie taking place during Xmas time yet?
No, we don't know when the story takes place nor how long it takes place after Afterlife. The only real story details we know are it is the next chapter in the Spengler family, Winston and Zeddemore Industries factor into it, and Phoebe will return but now it's been indicated the main cast of Afterlife will be back. I think we can safely assume a time skip since we know the tie-in Dark Horse comic was advertised as covering the gap between the movies and well, Mckenna and Logan are at that age when they will be visibly growing. They already had problems during Afterlife with Logan's voice getting deep that they had to cut out some of his lines in later shoots. I think we're looking somewhere between a 1 to 4 year skip potentially. Extra props to them if they have to film a Christmas story while filming during Spring to Summer 2023.
Speculation Time!

We see 3 Ghostbusters (probably the kids) on top of the firehouse facing of with Slimer.

Winston, Dana (?, might be a substitute for Coon) and Janine are spotted as well. I think I see Ray sliding down the pole.

Coincidence? I think not! I think this actually might be an early scene in the movie, with Slimer as target practice.

Watch the OP here: https://www.instagram.com/p/Cl0ajNKKU-5/
So it seems the “Spengler Family” will now be the primary focus of the movie.

I may have said this awhile ago but my plot break down for the movie is this. I think this is what the movie may end up looking like. Kind of a Home Alone/Gremlins vibe(which is kinda funny since Christopher Columbus wrote one and directed the other).

Spengler Family decides to spend the holidays(Christmas? Summer?) in New York getting to know the business Egon helped create. In between movies Winston re opened Ghostbusters and started a new team of GB’s. It’s maybe more corporate than the ma & pop vibes from the original. The Spengler family(which means the main Afterlife cast members) feel like they’ve been pushed aside so there’s tension between this new team and Spengler family. Maybe someone accidentally releases the ghosts in the storage facility. We get shengigans in the firehouse as the kids try to contain a couple of the ghosts they accidentally released, this only makes things worse. The new GB team feels like the Spengler family want them fired and so there’s an antagonist relationship at first until everyone works together to defeat the big bad.

Something like that.

What I do know is these new movies are seemingly being referred to as the “Spengler family Saga” which certainly is…a choice.
Alphagaia wrote: December 6th, 2022, 7:22 am Ah yes, the epic finale where Slimer threatens to throw the last vegan hotdog from the roof unless the Ghostbusters stop him in time. Meanwhile, Janine is ordering pizza but Ray wanted Chinese so he glued himself to the pole in protest.

HIRE US SONY
This way Dan Aykroyd could play his role without doing deeply demanding physical stunts
Did anyone see Gil’s Poltergeist remake?

It was awful. I will say it felt like he maybe lost creative control of that movie. I don’t know if that’s true but it felt like a studio meddling thing. I haven’t seen the Christmas Movie he did. Has anyone here seen it? How was it?

Monster House had a charm to it for sure. It had that amblin feel in an animated movie.

And I know I sound like a broken record here but god damn it. Can we get some people who know COMEDY writing on these movies? That makes sense right? Ghostbusters should be written by people who know funny.

Original Ghostbusters: From the people who have written for SNL/SCTV. Written/directed or produced movies like Animal House, Blues Brothers, CaddyShack and Stripes.

New Ghostbusters: From the guy who co wrote Up In the Air & Tully and the guy who directed City of Ember & the Poltergeist remake!

Original Ghostbusters ending: leaves you laughing with a smile on your face

New Ghostbusters ending: Wants to milk every last tear out of your eyeballs
BatDan liked this
RichardLess wrote: December 6th, 2022, 4:09 pm Did anyone see Gil’s Poltergeist remake?

It was awful. I will say it felt like he maybe lost creative control of that movie. I don’t know if that’s true but it felt like a studio meddling thing. I haven’t seen the Christmas Movie he did. Has anyone here seen it? How was it?

Monster House had a charm to it for sure. It had that amblin feel in an animated movie.

And I know I sound like a broken record here but god damn it. Can we get some people who know COMEDY writing on these movies? That makes sense right? Ghostbusters should be written by people who know funny.

Original Ghostbusters: From the people who have written for SNL/SCTV. Written/directed or produced movies like Animal House, Blues Brothers, CaddyShack and Stripes.

New Ghostbusters: From the guy who co wrote Up In the Air & Tully and the guy who directed City of Ember & the Poltergeist remake!

Original Ghostbusters ending: leaves you laughing with a smile on your face

New Ghostbusters ending: Wants to milk every last tear out of your eyeballs
Comedy writers dont exist like that anymore.

The national lampoon/second city movement helped shape modern comedy for the ages. And it’s certainly one of my favorite pieces of comedy/pop culture history.

But todays world doesnt call for that type of emerging energy anymore. Maybe there is and its out of my foresight.

But from what i see..Today, people who start out in comedy like Danny Mcbride bizarrely move on to make (terrible) Halloween movies. Much like Jordan Peele with Get Out.

Not sure where im going with this. But yeah. Just not the same anymore.

Also second that on the tone of Afterlife. Main theme was the death of Egon. A more sentimental tone was necessary .
Kingpin liked this

If you check the post below from reddit, one of […]

got a link? It appears that some time today[…]

I love that. I actually think a better version of […]

Afterlife Ecto Goggles Build

Thank you for posting this information. This is a[…]