Discuss the upcoming 4th movie, Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire to be released in March 2024.
Maybe the longer they're in "ghost limbo" on earth, the more they change their appearance?
SpaceBallz wrote: April 3rd, 2023, 11:43 am Maybe the longer they're in "ghost limbo" on earth, the more they change their appearance?
The evidence points to their appearance changes due their emotion. The librarian was mad the guys interrupted her reading. Uncle Horace (Who's Afraid of the Big Bad Ghost?)and the frat boys (The Old College Spirit) from the real Ghostbusters changed when they got angry.
I know we all have a lot of questions & theories about Ghosts & the afterlife as it relates to Ghostbusters but I don’t think it’s wise for the movies to explain too much of it.

It’s a delicate balancing act. U don’t wanna let the sense of mystery & the unknown to go away. I don’t want to know Slimer’s back story or why he’s a green blob. Or why there are monster lookin ghosts or why there are humanoid ghosts. Why some can transform but others cannot. Those details just don’t need to be expanded upon.

Yet 1 of the fun & cool things about Ghostbusters is how the paranormal is treated as a science. It’s knowable & classifiable. Threading that needle is what makes those first 2 movies & Afterlife so great. Like…why or how is Ivo Shandor suddenly alive in Afterlife? I don’t care. He just is. & it’s awesome sauce. I don’t need it explained. Same with GB1. Like..are the terror dogs inside of that stone casing the whole time? Just waiting to be released? Who knows. It’s just cool.

So I really hope they don’t go explaining shit that just doesn’t need to be addressed. I remember hearing a rumour awhile back that in sum version of GB3 they were guna explain Slimer’s back story. Does that sound like a good idea to anybody? Not me. It can only serve to make Slimer less interesting.

There’s a funny & very underrated joke in 1 of the cartoons. I think it’s the Extreme 1. Slimer suddenly appears for the first time & 1 of the new characters exclaims “So what is he? The ghost of flipper?”. That’s a pretty funny joke.
deadderek, Alphagaia, SpaceBallz and 2 others liked this
GuyX wrote: April 3rd, 2023, 10:21 pm I know we all have a lot of questions & theories about Ghosts & the afterlife as it relates to Ghostbusters but I don’t think it’s wise for the movies to explain too much of it.
Agreed. Wholeheartedly.
Alphagaia liked this
deadderek wrote: April 4th, 2023, 1:18 am
GuyX wrote: April 3rd, 2023, 10:21 pm I know we all have a lot of questions & theories about Ghosts & the afterlife as it relates to Ghostbusters but I don’t think it’s wise for the movies to explain too much of it.
Agreed. Wholeheartedly.
Same. One of the things that worked so well with John Wick is that they didn’t go into exposition dumps explaining the history and workings of crime underworld. They just kept dropping crumbs here and there and the mystery of it is what kept it so intriguing
deadderek liked this
jonogunn wrote: April 4th, 2023, 1:59 am
deadderek wrote: April 4th, 2023, 1:18 am

Agreed. Wholeheartedly.
Same. One of the things that worked so well with John Wick is that they didn’t go into exposition dumps explaining the history and workings of crime underworld. They just kept dropping crumbs here and there and the mystery of it is what kept it so intriguing
John wick stared out as a relatively grounded world and evolved in to a silly fantasy one were everyone is a part of the assassin underground.
Kingpin liked this
GuyX wrote: April 3rd, 2023, 10:21 pm
So I really hope they don’t go explaining shit that just doesn’t need to be addressed. I remember hearing a rumour awhile back that in sum version of GB3 they were guna explain Slimer’s back story. Does that sound like a good idea to anybody? Not me. It can only serve to make Slimer less interesting.
Slimers backstory is that he was once King Remlis and died of heart failure. I know too much obscure GB trivia.
But yeah, there doesn't need to be much explanation for why ghosts exist in the movies, keep that to secondary material if at all.
Well, no filming updates if anyone is wondering. Just sightings. Wolfhard went to the ABBA Arena recently. Emily Lind is sightseeing in England with a friend and taking pics of neat doors on her insta story. Bill Murray was in Houston, Texas supporting his second son who is on the coaching staff of UConn for the NCAA Men's Basketball tournament that just ended. Oswalt will be performing at the Bourbon Room in LA tomorrow.

Rookie99 wrote: April 4th, 2023, 5:23 pm Slimers backstory is that he was once King Remlis and died of heart failure.
Yeah, one of many posited. That's the one from an RGB Marvel UK comic #22. Another was for RGB, writer duo Pamela Hickey and Dennys McCoy pitched Slimer having been a 4'11 schlub who wore a suit that didn't fit right and ate a lot but the powers that be didn't want to address that Slimer was a person who died and became a ghost. Or the 1992 RGB Annual by NOW Comics included profile of Slimer, that stated, "In life he was an extremely greedy and obese man. After death he forgot all things about his life, even his own name, except the urge to continue eating."

In terms of the movie canon, Dan Aykroyd described Slimer as a vapor - a kind of confluence of stored up psychic energy, an accumulation of spirits that haunt the hotel who doesn't want to leave. Coincidentally, after the movie, Thelma Moss, of the Parapsychology department at U.C.L.A, told Harold Ramis Slimer was similar to a classic type of haunting known as 'hungry ghosts' - a ghost who just eats and drinks.

The West End RPG attributed his origin as a side-effect of cult rituals likely performed by the Cult of Gozer, lead by Ivo Shandor. Erik Burnham expanded on that in the IDW comics and Tobin book, that in the early 1920s up through 1938 or so, the Sedgewick Hotel played host to the Cult of Gozer and supposedly, one of their incentives to draw in Gozer was to summon a hungry spirit that would wreck havoc on the American food supply which would have made them prime targets during World War II. However, a semi-corporeal manifestation of gluttony was conjured instead. But it was a "hungry spirit" and could never sate its inhuman appetite and it was too lazy to roam outside and eat everything in sight. It remained anchored to the Sedgewick for decades.

Rookie99 wrote: April 4th, 2023, 5:23 pm But yeah, there doesn't need to be much explanation for why ghosts exist in the movies, keep that to secondary material if at all.
If only. I would totally buy a canon tie-in Ghostbusters 101 book explaining everything. I'd bet Aykroyd would love to pen a book like that.
Rookie99, robbritton liked this
The cult ritual background was always my preferred version of Slimers origin (if he needed one), especially because it tied into the video game well. But he really doesn't need explaining, he's just a ghost that happens to haunt the Sedgewick.
Also yeah, let Aykroyd write "Stantz's Spirit Guide", I'd buy 10 copies!
Kingpin, mrmichaelt, deadderek and 2 others liked this

It’s a delicate balancing act. U don’t wanna let the sense of mystery & the unknown to go away. I don’t want to know Slimer’s back story or why he’s a green blob. Or why there are monster lookin ghosts or why there are humanoid ghosts. Why some can transform but others cannot. Those details just don’t need to be expanded upon.

Yet 1 of the fun & cool things about Ghostbusters is how the paranormal is treated as a science. It’s knowable & classifiable. Threading that needle is what makes those first 2 movies & Afterlife so great. Like…why or how is Ivo Shandor suddenly alive in Afterlife? I don’t care. He just is. & it’s awesome sauce. I don’t need it explained. Same with GB1. Like..are the terror dogs inside of that stone casing the whole time? Just waiting to be released? Who knows. It’s just cool.

There’s a funny & very underrated joke in 1 of the cartoons. I think it’s the Extreme 1. Slimer suddenly appears for the first time & 1 of the new characters exclaims “So what is he? The ghost of flipper?”. That’s a pretty funny joke.
Thank you! This! 1000X this!

Has anyone seen the show Leftovers? It ran 3 seasons on HBO. Anyways, the song that plays before each episode has a lyric I love: “I think I’ll just let the mystery be”.

I’ve always always enjoyed that Ghost of Flipper quip from Eduardo too. Extreme Ghostbusters is actually a pretty funny show at times. I know most people around these parts love RGB more, and it has its good episodes, but RGB is a little too dated. EGB, beyond it’s title, is a little more timeless. The music, designs and animation could’ve been done 10 years ago. RGB is definitely of the 80’s and more kid friendly. It’s a hot take but I prefer Extreme Ghostbusters.

Anyways, here’s a question for the forum. The GB theme song. Should they let it be as is or try to give it a modern spin? I hated, HATED the GB16 Missy Elliot travesty. It’s actually funny in a cringe sort of way. But part of me wonders if you gave the song to the right artist…if we couldn’t get something special out of it.
Here are some “Ghostbusters” covers I’d love to hear. Maybe in the new movie.
Jack White? He’d give it a rocking edge.
OutKast. Oh yeah. If it were 2005? Andre 3000 would kill it.
Arcade Fire?
Danny Elfman by way of Oingo Boingo (I’ve always wanted Elfman to score a GB flick)
Nickelback?(that’s a joke, god no, please. No)
If a GB3 had been made circa 2001 they’d probably have Limp Bizkit do it

But I think it’s smart to just leave it alone. Stop updating it. Then again…

This is going to sound weird but honestly? My favourite rendition of the Ghostbusters theme isn’t the original. It’s the Jim Cummings “Extreme Ghostbusters” version. I just love it. It use to get me so pumped. It kicks ass. It’s so different but also doesn’t lose the spirit. It’s got a hard edge to it. I know most people don’t like it due to it’s corporate 1990s “Extreme” aesthetic. But I love that version un ironically.
I think theres room for different versions. The fall out boy version was god awful as awful could get. I don't mind remixes and the such but i'm sure there are things from the original song lthat would get changed fairly quickly.

Iv'e always liked the Hoobastank version. I think it's noteworthy enough to be included in the next movie.Although it should have been in Afterlife.

deadderek liked this
RichardLess wrote: April 5th, 2023, 3:50 pm Anyways, here’s a question for the forum. The GB theme song. Should they let it be as is or try to give it a modern spin?
In this case, I think we should stick with the classic.

I mean, c'mon... Who didn't crack a smile or feel a little pumped when the classic song popped up in the final trailers, or during the end credits?

There have been a lot of covers and revisions over the years, some pretty decent, some awful (for what it's worth Fall Out Boy's cover with Missy Elliot is hardly the worst rendition out there), but with how much how much has had to change due to the passage of all this time between Afterlife and the original movie, it's nice to hold onto those things which remain timeless... And even with it's keyboard synths, Ray Parker Jr.'s song remains fairly contemporary for something made in 1984.
mrmichaelt wrote: April 5th, 2023, 5:33 pm The sequel Aquaman: The Lost Kingdom will now be opening on the same day as and going head to head against the Afterlife Sequel on December 20.
https://deadline.com/2023/04/aquaman-2- ... 235318958/
Given what happened to Shazam: Fury of the Gods, that may not be as much of a danger as it used to be now.
Kingpin wrote:Given what happened to Shazam: Fury of the Gods, that may not be as much of a danger as it used to be now.
Agreed. Audiences have soured on the soon-to-be old canon of the DCU movies if Black Adam and Shazam 2 are any indication and Aquaman 2 already had some controversy going in to it. Presumably if this Ghostbusters movie stays on track and post production goes smoothly, they might stick to it. Looking at 2024, at best they could move it to January. February I doubt since Sony has their Madame Web movie that month. Then competition gets pretty stiff from then until July and August looks pretty blank.
Given what happened to Shazam: Fury of the Gods, that may not be as much of a danger as it used to be now.
I think Blue Beetle's going to do...Okay. Unless it plays out like a long drawn out CW after school special. I'm getting a total 90's vibe from the trailer. Like the writers watched to much Guyver, and binged on the anime series before writing the script 90's vibe. It's probably a good thing that Firehouse doesn't have to compete against that and a Starwars movie this year. I still have my doubts about the Flash.

The Guyver transformation clip can easily be found on youtube but I don't know the forums policies for posting clips of R rated movies.
mrmichaelt wrote: April 5th, 2023, 5:33 pm The sequel Aquaman: The Lost Kingdom will now be opening on the same day as and going head to head against the Afterlife Sequel on December 20.
I can't see Sony keeping that date then, even if the movie's finished in time. We can point to Shazam 2 being a dud, but the first Shazam did 300-something worldwide, the first Aquaman did over a billion. There's no comparison there, popularity wise. I had a sneaking feeling we'd be getting it in 2024 at some point, and I'm sure aligning with the 40th anniversary is tempting also.
starang11 wrote:I can't see Sony keeping that date then, even if the movie's finished in time. We can point to Shazam 2 being a dud, but the first Shazam did 300-something worldwide, the first Aquaman did over a billion. There's no comparison there, popularity wise. I had a sneaking feeling we'd be getting it in 2024 at some point, and I'm sure aligning with the 40th anniversary is tempting also.
I've always been a proponent of this movie coming out on the 40th anniversary. Sony has a Karate Kid sequel scheduled for that day right now I think. But they could always delay it and put GB in that June 7 slot. But they'd have 3 weeks to make bank then it would be competing with a Mission Impossible movie at the end of the month and Despicable Me, some Disney movies, a Transformers animated movie, a Twister sequel and Thunderbolts in July.
I keep seeing people doubting Firehouse can make a December release date. With as much pre-planning time they've have/had, I feel it's absolutely doable.
deadderek wrote: April 5th, 2023, 9:09 pm I keep seeing people doubting Firehouse can make a December release date. With as much pre-planning time they've have/had, I feel it's absolutely doable.
Yeah, we don't know a thing about their post and pre production preparations and needs, and I don't think that date was just conjured out of thin air.

Is it possible it will be delayed? For sure, but we don't have enough of the details and know how to make any solid claim about any reason for delay beyond 'well that seems a short production time' while the studio has a much more solid grab on it.
deadderek, Kingpin liked this
I still don't care for releasing Ghostbusters movies around Thanksgiving or close to Christmas.
The team I'm on hates doing outdoor events during the summer, but it's just part of the "job". On a fun note while visiting Hell (Michigan) , we did get hooked up with free ice cream so that made being the flight suits a bit better. :D
prodestrian liked this
deadderek wrote: April 5th, 2023, 9:09 pm I keep seeing people doubting Firehouse can make a December release date. With as much pre-planning time they've have/had, I feel it's absolutely doable.
GB1 finished filming end of January 1984, released June 1984. That's around 130 days.

If Firehouse finishes filming end of June 2023, a December release date would give them 170+ days. Assuming they have a similar balance between practical and digital effects as Afterlife, that's probably more than enough time.

Also, Afterlife finished filming on October 18th 2019, and we got the first trailer on December 10th. It was missing a lot of effects (terror dog coming out of the trap, and the RTV in front of the Ecto, for example) but it was still pretty polished.

I'm hoping for a Firehouse trailer in July or August. A teaser in the next month or two would be great too, even if it's as short as that first Afterlife teaser.
deadderek liked this

The amount of people participating in the milest[…]

No issue with Spongeface keepalive and TalentCel[…]

After 2 years of this failed Walmart trap conversi[…]

Wanna play Unleashed with me?

I'm ready big man whenever you want let's goooooo.[…]