Discuss the upcoming 4th movie, Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire to be released in March 2024.
RichardLess wrote: July 22nd, 2022, 8:06 am And I can’t drum up the enthusiasm when I know the guys attached are not comedy writers & the movie likely will be a similar feel. I feel like that lady in the Wendys commercial but instead of “where’s the beef?” It’s “where the comedy?”.
I mean GB16, for all it’s faults, it at least attempted to be a comedy film. Not one member of the main cast on GBA comes from a comedian or SNL player background, which is a break in tradition. Look at the original and it’s a lot of SNL/SCTV talent. GB16 was a whose who of the improv comedy scene. GBA had…Paul Rudd?
I think you're touching on a bigger issue which is that, Ghostbusters is a type of comedy that doesn't really exist anymore (Animal House, Caddyshack and Ghostbusters are all like cousins in my mind). I think GB2 got by purely as an extension of the first one, because we already knew the characters and such.

I think the Apatow stuff in the 2000s had some of that DNA (which is probably why just about everyone in those movies was rumored to be a new Ghostbuster at some point) but that's about it. And I thought ATC was too broad of a comedy, like it couldn't decide what kind of comedy it wanted to be and just felt too silly and all over the place.

I give GBA a pass because I think it works as a touching tribute to Ramis, and the fact that they're dusting off this thing that's been dormant for three decades. There were some morsels of comedy I enjoyed (like Rudd's classroom movie choices, Phoebe's deadpan delivery) but also some glimpses of stuff I wouldn't mind seeing more of, like Ray geeking out over the podcast. I think there's potential there in mixing the OGs with these new characters, but I also don't think it would hurt to fill out some of the other parts with more seasoned comedy actors. Assuming they let the Egon storyline rest with GBA (and I really hope that's the case) then I'm hopeful this next one will be more Ivan Reitman and less Spielberg.
RichardLess wrote: July 22nd, 2022, 8:06 am I feel weird for saying this but…I don’t want teenagers or kids to be the focus of a Ghostbusters movie. I want a movie with adults. I’m not sure I can articulate why other than Ghostbusters is guys(or girls) living at the firehouse, investigating paranormal and getting in adventures while hilarity ensues. I feel like kids just puts a wrench in that.
I totally agree. I always thought the core idea of Ghostbusters was: "paranormal exterminators." They're like blue-collar pest control workers who just so happen to deal with ghosts. That's the hook.

I liked the character of Phoebe (McKenna Grace gave a fantastic performance), but I also wouldn't mind if they completely, or almost completely ignored GBA in the next movie (just like they ignored GB2 in GBA, for all practical purposes, save for Ray's Occult). Just give us what we really want, which is grown-ups zapping and trapping spooks in a funny and sometimes spooky way.

I realize the guys are older now -- they're basically geezers -- but lean into that. The movie Bubba Ho-Tep proved that younger audiences are totally game to watch wrinkly old farts battling paranormal threats.

Of course it makes sense to bring in young blood to pass the torch, and with Egon deceased they need a replacement, but I still wanna see Peter, Ray, and Winston sliding down that firepole in their ill-fitting flightsuits, and shuffling into Ecto-1(A/B/etc).

I think it would be cool if they brought a teenage Phoebe to New York to train as Egon's replacement; they could definitely have fun with that dynamic. But I don't want the franchise to turn into the Junior Ghostbusters, or even Extreme Ghostbusters. Let's stick with the professionals. They've got the tools and they've got the talent!
LouisZeddemore liked this
The original GB are way too old to be the primary team anymore. They can still suit up if absolutely necessary (more so Winston) but there’s no leaning into a geezers concept. The idea of aging GBs could have worked sometime in the 2000s but not now.

I enjoyed Bubba Ho-Tep but it’s not a good example. GB need to be dependable. Dragging the OGB through a whole movie on their own would be sad and more like a spoof. That’s definitely NOT what I want to see.

Ignoring Afterlife would be ridiculous. People already complain it didn’t acknowledge GB2 enough. Pushing it aside and restarting yet again would be a huge insult to those characters.

So they miss Egon and his expertise...but should basically disregard his family (or make Phoebe a side character) because they don’t fit the “GB image”?

It’s not about being Junior GBs or anything else. There’s nothing wrong with a younger team getting into the business or a combination of young/older who work for Winston and Ray. That’s an interesting dynamic. How they get along and grow as a team.

Since there’s no details yet I don’t know what exactly to expect but I want to see the Spenglers and Phoebe continue Egon’s work. I want to see Podcast hangout with them and lend his assistance in someway since he’s the youngest. I want to see 1 or 2 new members (if Paul Rudd doesn’t become a GB). I want to learn more about Ray and Winston’s families. Of course I want to see new equipment and villains too.
timeware wrote:Are we expecting anything new coming from Comic Con's at all?
No, nothing was announced for the sequel. I think Afterlife was screened. Some minor non-movie merch announced. That's about it for SDCC.

Maybe there will be something at New York Comic Con October 6-9 when they're filming or about to start filming. And/or maybe Hasbro Pulse Con at the end of September.
WCat2000 wrote: July 23rd, 2022, 11:26 pm The original GB are way too old to be the primary team anymore. They can still suit up if absolutely necessary (more so Winston) but there’s no leaning into a geezers concept. The idea of aging GBs could have worked sometime in the 2000s but not now.

I enjoyed Bubba Ho-Tep but it’s not a good example. GB need to be dependable. Dragging the OGB through a whole movie on their own would be sad and more like a spoof. That’s definitely NOT what I want to see.
I'm not saying they should get all goofy with it, having them poop their adult diapers at the sight of a Class Five poltergeist, but I definitely think the remaining original Ghostbusters can still work in the field. First of all, GBA just showed them in their flightsuits and proton packs, so I don't see the issue. Plus, it's not like ghostbusting was ever the most athletic of occupations (although strength and agility can't hurt), at least in the live-action films. And to the degree that age does slow them down, it can only add to the drama and comedy.

I'm all for bringing in younger team members to assist the old guys -- absolutely, that makes sense -- but they should probably be in their twenties or thirties if they're gonna strap on the pack and go out in the field. I don't wanna see junior high or high school students becoming ghostbusters, and the GBA kids are basically all still children.

I don't mind if they keep Phoebe Spengler around, but I think she should mostly stay in the lab until she comes of age. She could be the one to repair, modify, and invent new GB tech, continuing Egon's role and legacy. She's the bookish type anyway.

Really though, I think most of Afterlife should be ignored and left behind. It can exist as its own standalone movie, and that's fine. There's no established law of cinema which states that once you introduce characters into a franchise, you're stuck with them. For example, Podcast was a cute enough character, but why bring him into the sequel? He's just a kid with no relation to the original ghostbusters, or the genius level IQ that Phoebe has. Even Grooberson brings little to nothing to the realm of ghostbusting. In the same way, although I love GB2, I have no desire to see Janosz or Oscar return. It's just like TV shows where characters will "guest star" in a single episode, never to return, because they don't serve the larger whole.
mrmichaelt wrote: July 24th, 2022, 4:31 am
timeware wrote:Are we expecting anything new coming from Comic Con's at all?
No, nothing was announced for the sequel. I think Afterlife was screened. Some minor non-movie merch announced. That's about it for SDCC.

Maybe there will be something at New York Comic Con October 6-9 when they're filming or about to start filming. And/or maybe Hasbro Pulse Con at the end of September.
I've always wanted to go back to the NYCC. Until they get a handle on crime it's just going to be one of those unreachable dreams. For those that are going stay safe.
timeware wrote: July 24th, 2022, 8:37 am
mrmichaelt wrote: July 24th, 2022, 4:31 am No, nothing was announced for the sequel. I think Afterlife was screened. Some minor non-movie merch announced. That's about it for SDCC.

I've always wanted to go back to the NYCC. Until they get a handle on crime it's just going to be one of those unreachable dreams. For those that are going stay safe.
Nah, if you want to stay safe it would make more sense to move to NYC, or Paris if you can swing it… New York’s recent spike in crime is concerning, but it needs to be kept in perspective.
https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/arti ... al-america
ghoulishfright wrote: July 24th, 2022, 4:46 am
WCat2000 wrote: July 23rd, 2022, 11:26 pm The original GB are way too old to be the primary team anymore. They can still suit up if absolutely necessary (more so Winston) but there’s no leaning into a geezers concept. The idea of aging GBs could have worked sometime in the 2000s but not now.

I'm not saying they should get all goofy with it, having them poop their adult diapers at the sight of a Class Five poltergeist, but I definitely think the remaining original Ghostbusters can still work in the field. First of all, GBA just showed them in their flightsuits and proton packs, so I don't see the issue. Plus, it's not like ghostbusting was ever the most athletic of occupations (although strength and agility can't hurt), at least in the live-action films. And to the degree that age does slow them down, it can only add to the drama and comedy.

I'm all for bringing in younger team members to assist the old guys -- absolutely, that makes sense -- but they should probably be in their twenties or thirties if they're gonna strap on the pack and go out in the field. I don't wanna see junior high or high school students becoming ghostbusters, and the GBA kids are basically all still children.

I don't mind if they keep Phoebe Spengler around, but I think she should mostly stay in the lab until she comes of age. She could be the one to repair, modify, and invent new GB tech, continuing Egon's role and legacy. She's the bookish type anyway.

Really though, I think most of Afterlife should be ignored and left behind. It can exist as its own standalone movie, and that's fine. There's no established law of cinema which states that once you introduce characters into a franchise, you're stuck with them. For example, Podcast was a cute enough character, but why bring him into the sequel? He's just a kid with no relation to the original ghostbusters, or the genius level IQ that Phoebe has. Even Grooberson brings little to nothing to the realm of ghostbusting. In the same way, although I love GB2, I have no desire to see Janosz or Oscar return. It's just like TV shows where characters will "guest star" in a single episode, never to return, because they don't serve the larger whole.
The OGB are too old to consistently work in the field. That was the joke in Afterlife...I don’t remember this job being so painful. It has nothing to do with being athletic.

The equipment is heavy (in-movie, of course the props can be lightened) and they’re bound to get hurt again. Gozer knocked them back both times, Vigo temporarily paralyzed them and they almost fell underground when the street broke open. There was also the stairs and being pulled into the river of slime. There’s gonna be physical demands that come along with the job.

You’re right not every single character that’s introduced needs to come back but the Spenglers are the first characters to actually matter in 30 years and brought everyone together. They can’t act like it was just a side story.

I know Phoebe is still underage so it’s interesting to see what they do. I thought she could have an internship and eventually has to step in and fight because they need her. Not that she’d officially be hired as a GB yet.

Assuming Mr. Grooberson stays with Callie and Paul Rudd returns he’d make a cool GB. He could definitely play the type of rookie that’s excited but still inexperienced. Sort of like Louis.

Podcast doesn’t necessarily need to return but he’s Phoebe’s friend and was very likable imo. I hope he can be worked in. He’d pair well with Ray. Maybe have him work in the bookstore.
Kingpin liked this
Patience seems to be thing with people these days. They announced it and it's actively in production. We're not entitled to anything. Makes me miss the good old days when you wouldn't see any pictures until they hit a magazine.

People these days are so impatient.
deadderek wrote: July 25th, 2022, 7:55 pm Patience seems to be thing with people these days. They announced it and it's actively in production. We're not entitled to anything. Makes me miss the good old days when you wouldn't see any pictures until they hit a magazine.

People these days are so impatient.
Im patient. Just making an observation is all

These days—USUALLY, theres some type of visual attached with an announcement. Or a title at the very least. (Mostly referring to the series and the animated film)

I remember the days of magazine rumors. “Cinescape” was my go-to.
Davideverona wrote: July 25th, 2022, 11:37 pm Jason surely set a bar giving us a teaser trailer with the Afterlife announcement 😁
I personally think that was more of "No seriously guys for real this time it's actually happening" thing.
Chicken, He Clucked wrote: July 22nd, 2022, 10:05 am By the time Firehouse comes out the kids will be significantly older than Afterlife. Not adults, but I don't see how their age would hold the film back in any way.
Very true they are getting older. The problem is tho that they still look like children. Finn Wolfhard is 19 going on 11. The GB teams we’ve had before were in their mid-late 30s. Some were in their early 40s. As a general rule Ghostbusters in a ghostbusters movie shouldn’t have a bed time.

Honestly? I’m just going to say it…it looks stupid when these kids put on a proton pack that can barely fit them. And none of them are particularly funny. Podcast has some potential & the kids is charming as heck but he still looks like he’s 13 years old.

I think they should use GBA as the closing off the Spengler story. I don’t need to see any of those characters again. Having those kids transplant to New York running around with proton packs? If that sounds like a good Ghostbusters movie to anyone we just see this franchise differently. To me it sounds contrived as hell & shoehorning the GBA characters into a story they don’t fit organically. Now if they make them a minor B plot to a team of new characters? Ok. Maybe that’s something. But making those kids the head of this franchise is a huge misstep. Huge. What makes me say that? I’m picturing Ghostbusters 1, 2 and GB2016 but instead of the lead actors in those movies, it’s the GBA kid cast. It doesn’t work.

This franchise needs someone like Taika Waititi to come in and give it some relevancy. “What We Do In The Shadows” is exactly the type of comedy, minus the mockumentary aspect, I’d like to see. Jermaine Clement would be an awesome Ghostbuster. Oh now here’s a winning idea. Have Jermaine play his character from “Flight of the Conchords”, bring Brett & Murray in. Comedy gold. I was only joking when I first wrote that but the more I think about the more I’d love to see that. Has anyone seen “Our Flag Means Death”? Lol.

I remember getting annoyed back when GBA was an unknown thing still & so many people were lamenting it was sounding like we were getting a “Ghostbusters Junior”. Now it didn’t turn out that way, not really, but the sequel is dangerously close if that “firehouse” title is anything to go by.
Kids with proton packs doesn’t seem as cool or believable in general I agree.

Yet the 2 best action shots are when Phoebe pulls out with the gunner seat the second time around on the bridge and with her going toe to toe with Gozer. Beautifully shot scenes and she owned it. So my doubts of kids handling the franchise were at least lessened due to that.
I appreciate that it seems difficult to find a workable story where all/most of the kids are brought back from Oklahoma, but I think it would be detrimental to "Firehouse" and a complete waste of the characters and all the work that was put into Afterlife if Trevor, Lucky and Podcast were to just be written out and forgotten about, and for Phoebe to be sidelined and kept in the lab.

It's not the preference of some fans of the franchise, but these are some of the primary characters now... By all means, bring in some new additional characters with "Firehouse", and definitely feature the legacy cast members who are happy and willing to come back, but I feel it would be a little disrespectful to the Afterlife characters, their actors, those characters' fans, and what the actors/characters did to revive the Ghostbusters brand to just go "...and they lived happily ever after in Summerville".
mrmichaelt, starang11, jonogunn and 2 others liked this
Next chapter doesn't necessarily mean a focus on Phoebe either. It could be an emphasis on Grooberson and Callie's new life together if they're a couple or even continued dating. They could write him out all together and throw someone completely new at Callie.

Callie's new flame could be a ghost in disguise and Phoebe could be seen as just being another jealous kid by investigating him with her grandfather's tools. Jason could do a whole Lost Boys type of story arc with Firehouse.

Phoebe's going to be back sure. She won't be sidelined, but Jason could decide to focus more in depth in Grooberson's origin story as a Ghostbuster if he even suits up, if he' even returns.
Davideverona wrote: July 27th, 2022, 3:44 am I think that would not be the case, seeing how Jason declared that Firehouse will be ".. The next chapter in the Spengler family story".
The wizard Zedikiah Spengler confirmed.

Well I don't think they will abandon the characters from Afterlife. I am sure they will have a good reason for the characters to make there way from Oklahoma and wind up in New York.

The franchise continued to furthore solidify that everyone and anyone can be a Ghostbuster. If anything there will not only be returning characters from Afterlife, but they will introduce new characters that could potentially spin off into their own film and continue to expand the franchise. I think the new Animated movie and the new TV show will continue to build on thefranchise and add new characters.

I really hope that they can keep the momentum going and keep the franchise going strong without it going into fatigue territory. :):):)

Someone ID'd them on Facebook first, there w[…]

Two specific ideas I have are basically holiday sp[…]

While waiting impatiently for Frozen Empire to rel[…]

Make it that pack, sell it for $599. (While I […]