Discuss the upcoming 4th movie, Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire to be released in March 2024.
Ghostbusters Dutch Decision in one of their podcasts alluded to that it would be a very fat year, and not just because of the movie / series. They kept it very vague, mind you, but said to fill them wallets.

I just thought, heck I'll just start saving up each month and if at the end of the year I still have any it will go to something else. Win-win.
Patton Oswalt and Kumail Nianjiani join the cast!

https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/375 ... -nanjiani/

Deadline reports today that Patton Oswalt and Kumail Nanjiani have been cast alongside returning franchise stars.

James Acaster (Repertoire) and Emily Alyn Lind (Doctor Sleep) will also star.
Davideverona, Alphagaia, Kingpin and 3 others liked this
Chicken, He Clucked wrote: March 24th, 2023, 10:50 am Patton Oswalt and Kumail Nianjiani join the cast!

https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/375 ... -nanjiani/

Deadline reports today that Patton Oswalt and Kumail Nanjiani have been cast alongside returning franchise stars.

James Acaster (Repertoire) and Emily Alyn Lind (Doctor Sleep) will also star.
Muncher returns!

Edit: No wait, he voiced Mooglie. I mixed up the short guys.
JAMES ACASTER. I'm sure most of my fellow Americans may not be as familiar with him but I couldn't be more excited. Patton is another of my favorites. Happy to see what could be the filmmakers addressing the criticism that Ghostbusters is a comedy and should use comedic actors.
LeoCor Replicas, robbritton, Kingpin and 1 others liked this
Chicken, He Clucked wrote: March 24th, 2023, 9:19 am Prematurely excited at the prospect of new Hasbro toys and tie-ins.

Do you think they'll reveal anything before Pulse con Sept 30th - Oct 1st?
Maybe at 1027? Or at Ecto-Fest in June? I wouldn't mind another Ghostbusters Fan First stream too...this time however I will not fall back into my youth days and buy action figures again. I have a full diorama of the final battle with Gozer and when it comes to pivotal moments in Ghostbusters history to display, this is it. However, if Hasbro has the guts to release the good old Ecto in 6-inch scale, that will be a must buy. And any roleplay collector's replicas for sure. Sometimes I still have a hard time to grasp that Afterlife gave us the Spengler wand and pack. Incredibly good. If Firehouse gives us new goggles and of course, a trap, no matter what kind, that's an instant buy. And new stuff. Give us cool new equipment.
LeoCor Replicas liked this
Tell you what's good about this - that's three proper comedy guys, which hopefully indicates a return to the feel of 1 and 2 over the more sombre Afterlife. We can but hope!
deadderek, mrmichaelt liked this
Dr.D wrote: March 24th, 2023, 11:42 am JAMES ACASTER. I'm sure most of my fellow Americans may not be as familiar with him but I couldn't be more excited. Patton is another of my favorites. Happy to see what could be the filmmakers addressing the criticism that Ghostbusters is a comedy and should use comedic actors.
Agreed, James should be great in this one. Patton is always great, and I loved seeing him voicing Mooglie in that one VR game they did a couple years ago. Also agree on the point that the film should definitely be more comedic, although I understand why Afterlife was more dramatic, given the fact that it was a legacy project based around Egon/Harold Ramis. I'm still glad they managed to work in quite a bit of comedy in that film, especially some really good bits.
Ecto24601 wrote: March 24th, 2023, 12:52 pm
Chicken, He Clucked wrote: March 24th, 2023, 9:19 am Prematurely excited at the prospect of new Hasbro toys and tie-ins.

Do you think they'll reveal anything before Pulse con Sept 30th - Oct 1st?
Maybe at 1027? Or at Ecto-Fest in June? I wouldn't mind another Ghostbusters Fan First stream too...this time however I will not fall back into my youth days and buy action figures again. I have a full diorama of the final battle with Gozer and when it comes to pivotal moments in Ghostbusters history to display, this is it. However, if Hasbro has the guts to release the good old Ecto in 6-inch scale, that will be a must buy. And any roleplay collector's replicas for sure. Sometimes I still have a hard time to grasp that Afterlife gave us the Spengler wand and pack. Incredibly good. If Firehouse gives us new goggles and of course, a trap, no matter what kind, that's an instant buy. And new stuff. Give us cool new equipment.
Definitely hoping for a proper Ghost Trap or PKE prop release, especially given the success of the HasLab Packs. I do wish the Walmart Traps were still around. With the right mods, they really did look great.
Last edited by Kingpin on March 25th, 2023, 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.Reason: Posts combined
zeta otaku liked this
I've just realised James Acaster is an actual friend of a friend, which feels very surreal. Couldn't imagine I'd ever have been saying that about someone in a Ghostbusters!
mrmichaelt, Kingpin, Dr.D liked this
Dr.D wrote: March 24th, 2023, 11:42 am JAMES ACASTER. I'm sure most of my fellow Americans may not be as familiar with him but I couldn't be more excited.
As an Aussie, I have no idea who this guy is.

I'm curious though, why news articles refer to this as "Ghostbusters Afterlife 2" or "Ghostbusters Afterlife Sequel" or on one occasion "Ghostbusters 5" instead of "Ghostbusters 4"?
Hairy Biker wrote: March 24th, 2023, 2:07 pm
Dr.D wrote: March 24th, 2023, 11:42 am JAMES ACASTER. I'm sure most of my fellow Americans may not be as familiar with him but I couldn't be more excited.

I'm curious though, why news articles refer to this as "Ghostbusters Afterlife 2" or "Ghostbusters Afterlife Sequel" or on one occasion "Ghostbusters 5" instead of "Ghostbusters 4"?
General confusion or trying to tiptoe I'm sure, I bet most of those journalists never watched the last two films and just do write-ups to meet a quota.
Interesting casting decisions. Admittedly not a huge fan of Oswalt (liked his voice acting in Ratatouille though), but I understand the choice. I wonder what kind of roles they'll be cast in (protagonists, villains, voices?). I hope they don't add too many main protagonists since there's already a good group and adding more might take away from that at this point.
Up until now they haven't had "comedic" villains. I can see that working if they're still a legitimate threat instead of goofballs.
Hairy Biker wrote: March 24th, 2023, 2:07 pm

It's all technically correct depending on how you look at it.

Some reporters view Afterlife as a reboot, which is where GBA2 comes from, others just count the various Ghostbusters movies in the Gbfranchise, which includes ATC, others count just the canonical movies and some people even include the videogame.

Whatever floats your boat, I guess.
Last edited by Alphagaia on March 24th, 2023, 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Patton Oswalt as an over-the-top eccentric paranormal investigator TV personality would be glorious.
zeta otaku, Alphagaia, deadderek and 4 others liked this
Clearly the film should be titled, Ghostbusters 2 III: The After-Afterlife...

Or Ghostbusters 4 1/2? (This is almost as confusing as the Spider-Man franchise.)

Quite the impressive list of talent so far. I wonder if they'll throw in Adam Savage for a cameo or something.
groschopf liked this
It was so long without a new GB movie that “Afterlife Sequel” is the most straightforward way to describe it that also indicates it’s not an ATC Sequel.

Is GB4 that confusing though? I don’t think so. If anyone was confused it would make them look it up which is a good thing. People should know how it goes.

When it released on home video I thought they might do a collector cover with the logo holding 3 fingers up just for fun. They could still do it later on I guess.
So..new cast members, new bets?

Are they new gbs? Or just supporting roles?

I feel like if they’re new Gbs that worries me just a tad. Not because of the choices..but because wed be overstuffing with too many characters..

..And shifting away from developing Phoebe and Co’s arc seems off.

So im willing to bet one or two are new gbs, while the others are supporting roles.
DancingToaster liked this
BatDan wrote: March 24th, 2023, 6:09 pm So..new cast members, new bets?

Are they new gbs? Or just supporting roles?
I'd wager Supporting roles.

I can see Acaster as a goofy acquaintance like Louis Tully, and Oswalt as the blustering mayor pf NYC.

Nanjiani is a wild card. Maybe an antagonist along the lines of Walter Peck? Dude's got range.

Last edited by groschopf on March 24th, 2023, 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
robbritton wrote: March 24th, 2023, 12:55 pm Tell you what's good about this - that's three proper comedy guys, which hopefully indicates a return to the feel of 1 and 2 over the more sombre Afterlife. We can but hope!
I don’t get this idea “Ghostbusters can’t be sombre”(I’m not saying you specifically are saying that but so many others have). Or that it’s somehow wrong for it to have sombre moments. I’ve seen so many say they didn’t like how the movie ended on a sad note(which I disagree with. I think it was rather hopeful and uplifting).

Ghostbusters can be so many things. The idea that it can only be 1 thing is silly. It’s a comedy, horror, sci fi, romance and *fake shock* DRAMA

Ghostbusters isn’t a laugh per second film. It’s not Airplane or Blazing Saddles. Can you imagine telling Woody Allen, a comedy genius(let’s ignore his other controversies for the moment), that his films can only contain comedy?

Afterlife was funny. Was it hilarious? No. But it was funny. It was charming. Do we really want Ghostbusters to be what “comedies” are now? The obvious improv styling of Judd Apatow? We tried that already. It didn’t work. Well maybe for some of u it did. And that’s ok. But for most people I don’t think it worked.

Afterlife was one of the first big movies in a long time that wasn’t constantly winking at the audience with stupid “OH MY GOD ISNT THIS SITUTION WE ARE IN INSANE? It’s JUST LIKE “INSERT POPCULTURE REFERENCE” SEE! WEVE ACKNOWLEDGED HOW INSANE IT IS. Wink wink”.

Afterlife was allowed to funny, sad, a little cheesey even. Yes. Cheese. Cheese can be fun. It’s why the Sam Raimi Spider-Man movies are so damn likeable. Afterlife wore its heart on its sleeve a bit.

It’s what I love about it. We had the Ghostbusters of the 1980s. & they were of the 1980s. Now it’s time to be that & more. Afterlife never undercut itself. All the emotions, funny, scary & sad, they felt real. They felt earned. We should respect that more.

I’d like this movie to be funny. Definitely. But it’s ok if it needs to be dramatic and sad too. Just earn it, right?

:):D
Rookie99, DancingToaster, Hairy Biker and 2 others liked this

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]

I read Back in Town #1. Spoilers : Hate to b[…]

I'd really like to see the new t-shirt unlocks tra[…]