Discuss the upcoming 4th movie, Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire to be released in March 2024.
RichardLess wrote: June 6th, 2023, 9:08 pmMaybe you are mixing up “stand up comedy” with “comedy”?
I'm well aware of the difference. The point of a commedian is to make people laugh, and maybe even poke holes at some of the hypocrisies in the world. The aforementioned-comedians have made me laugh, actual heart-felt laughs.

Bill Murray has never left me laughing to the degree like those names I mentioned... Like I said, I know it's a controversial opinion, but I think looking back on things he's actually kinda overrated.
RichardLess wrote: June 6th, 2023, 9:08 pmAnd while I agree Extreme Ghostbusters doesn’t get referenced….Ghostbusters 2 is memed and referenced(I see the “Everything You Are Doing is Bad. I Want You To Know This” gif quite a bit as well as “…Evil?”. Basically a lot of Janosz.)
That's good to hear, though for what it's worth I've not seen those memes come up much outside of my Ghostbusters social media circles.
RichardLess wrote: June 6th, 2023, 9:08 pmBut let’s say no one referenced EGB or GB2…what does that have to do with GBA—a movie that was released 2 years ago?
I guess my point is that there's plenty of good movies and shows that, despite being good, didn't have long-term cultural staying power outside of the communities of their core, dedicated fans... Maybe it's also in some ways the curse of the on-demand streaming era that was heightened thanks to Covid, we're in the mind-set of always looking for the next bit of media to digest...

It may even be the case that the films like Afterlife do actually manage to linger and persevere despite the lack of active quoting and meme-making, and maybe the fact we're seeing a sequel to Afterlife shows there is a bit of cultural staying power in the old girl yet.

I also guess I view the Ghostbusters cultural impact and longevity as already established, like the point WCat2000 made, Afterlife on it's own might not be redefining the cultural zeitgeist, but as part of the wider Ghostbusters franchise it will hopefully enjoy some longevity, and then we'll have to see where were are post-"Firehouse"... Maybe that film will give you the quotes and memes. :)

Or maybe it won't... Either way, I don't watch films for their cultural staying power, I watch them to be entertained.
RichardLess wrote: June 6th, 2023, 9:08 pmI’ve said this before but I see how a movie like Top Gun 2 was received and I’m like…why couldn’t that have been GBA?
Tom Cruise is still about young enough to do a lot of his own stunts. ;)
Davideverona wrote: June 7th, 2023, 7:52 am On Olv Twitter account is being reported that TODAY the Ecto will show up at the Firehouse in Tribeca to shoot some scenes
Davide sent me a screenshot of the tweet in question, posting here for posterity:

Edit: A bit more of the filming near City Hall: LINK
As someone who genuinely loved Afterlife and thought it would be a huge hit, I must admit I am shocked at how quickly it’s been forgotten. Maybe not forgotten. That sounds too negative. But overlooked. Yet I don’t think it’s the movies fault. That’s just the world we live in now.

Richard what you said it’s true. It seems only the two extremes are given any sort of cultural staying power. The really good or the really bad.

Even something like Spider Man No Way Home. While I wouldn’t say it’s forgotten I don’t see anyone talk about it. And that movie was a 2 billion dollar monster. Compare that to the Raimi Spider-Man movies which I see referenced ALL the time(Bully Maguire). Think about how movies use to dominate the culture. Titanic. Star Wars Episode 1. The Matrix. But now? Just wait a couple weeks and another 250 million dollar Superhero movie will be replacing the last one. There’s too much muchness.

So I think it says more about the culture than it does the movie. We live in a world with a 10 second attention span.

Afterlife did its job and did it well. It set up a new foundation going forward and got the bad taste & toxicity of 2016 out of the way. It was done smart and cheap enough that we will get to build on it. Had that movie been more ambitious it would’ve been more expensive.
Corey91, RedSpecial, deadderek and 2 others liked this
Top Gun: Maverick was a generational anomaly where the sequel far outperformed the original both in story and box office success. It should be viewed as an exception and not expectation, IMO.
I'm hoping they are able to stay on track with filming and post production because there isn't much competition where it is at in December. Not worried about Aquaman.
JonXCTrack wrote: June 7th, 2023, 10:27 am Didn't they say at Ghostbusters Day last year that there was going to be a comic book that explains the events between Ghostbusters 2 and Ghostbusters Afterlife? Wouldn't that need to be coming out pretty soon given that Firehouse is due out in 6 months? Maybe that is the announcement tomorrow?
The comic will bridge Afterlife and Firehouse
Davideverona wrote: June 7th, 2023, 11:22 am
JonXCTrack wrote: June 7th, 2023, 10:27 am Didn't they say at Ghostbusters Day last year that there was going to be a comic book that explains the events between Ghostbusters 2 and Ghostbusters Afterlife? Wouldn't that need to be coming out pretty soon given that Firehouse is due out in 6 months? Maybe that is the announcement tomorrow?
The comic will bridge Afterlife and Firehouse
They also said " sometime at the end of next year" meaning this year. So probably around the time the movie comes out. We'll see the solicitations about two months before hand, so no sooner than September right now.
Some great new posts on reddit:

The repainted Ecto-1 up close -
https://www.reddit.com/r/ghostbusters/c ... _up_close/

There looks to be a new piece of equipment in the center of the dash. It resembles a GPS.

Live take of Ecto-1 with car crash in the background -https://www.reddit.com/r/ghostbusters/c ... car_crash/

You can see the smoke in the background from the wildfires. I wonder if this can get edited out, or if this they will keep it in because it makes for a spooky atmosphere.
Alphagaia, ZedR, SpaceBallz and 5 others liked this
After seeing close-up shots of the Ecto, I think you guys are right about that clamshell being a housing unit for a drone.
SpaceBallz wrote: June 7th, 2023, 12:58 pm After seeing close-up shots of the Ecto, I think you guys are right about that clamshell being a housing unit for a drone.
I'd say something closer to that than it being a port hole for a 'buster to shoot out of. There looks to be no hole in the roof of the ecto, nor does it looks big enough for a body to fit through. Drone is a great guess, esp since it seems like the next logical step up from an RC trap.

edit: you can even see the screws holding in the bottom of the clamshell in place in the reflection on the roof - no cut out on the bottom of the shell as well.

Last edited by Corey91 on June 7th, 2023, 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RichardLess wrote: June 6th, 2023, 9:08 pm
Kingpin wrote: June 6th, 2023, 2:03 pm

My bad, I thought it was a variation of "getting butts in seats" that I hadn't heard of before.

If we held that poll, maybe adult Ghostbusters would win... But the film still seemed to do pretty well in enticing the adult audience even with McKenna, Logan, Celeste and Finn starring prominently in it, and driving around in Wrecto-1, which leaves me with the impression the general public aren't all that turned off by it featuring a sizable teenage cast in place of a fully adult cast... I think the trailer gave a good enough impression of the tone that this wasn't a kids movie with Ghostbusters, but instead a Ghostbusters movie with kids.
...Though whether the past affability of the public holds and continues past when the new films opens is something we have to wait and see.

I will concede that Afterlife's cultural impact hasn't been huge, but how many people outside of our fandom reference Ghostbusters II, or Extreme Ghostbusters? The occasions where it does happen are notable because they're usually so rare.

I think if you were to ask people to name the essential ingredients of Ghostbusters, you'd probably get "Ghosts, back packs, the car, lasers, explosions, comedy, the green ghost" (and maybe Bill Murray), but I don't think anyone would actually say "the world's top comedy talent".

-Especially as (controversial opinion) Bill was never part of "the world's top comedy talent". He can deliver improv that can get chuckles from the audience, but he's no George Carlin, Robin Williams or Victoria Wood (a British stand-up comedian). Bill might've drawn the crowds in based on his previous successful films, but Dan and Harold were clearly where the greater quality of comedy lay (Egon cautiously poking that man in the Sedgewick hallway, or the playful smile and his line about his students being more interested in his epididymis showed Harold had more talent in comedy and more nuance than Bill's loud and obnoxious style). (End of controversial opinion)

I mean, you can have the opinion that Bill Murray was never part of the world top comedic talent. You may not dig his style or like him but in 1980s-early 1990s? He would’ve been in the top 10-15. Maybe you are mixing up “stand up comedy” with “comedy”? Bill is a comedian in the sense that…well his primary job was making people laugh and he was insanely good at it. No one would argue Bill is a top stand up comedian. But a comedic actor? And yes Dan, Harold and Rick Moranis would be included in that “Top Comedic” talent. I don’t think anyone in the GBA cast except Paul Rudd is in that tier. Tho Carrie Coon could be. Imo she’s the best thing in that movie.

And while I agree Extreme Ghostbusters doesn’t get referenced….Ghostbusters 2 is memed and referenced(I see the “Everything You Are Doing is Bad. I Want You To Know This” gif quite a bit as well as “…Evil?”. Basically a lot of Janosz.)But let’s say no one referenced EGB or GB2…what does that have to do with GBA—a movie that was released 2 years ago? You are comparing it to a poorly received movie over 30 years old and a TV show that got a single season and barely anyone watched? I dunno if that’s the comparison you think it is. Like..I love GB2, a lot of us here love GB2. But it’s rep aint the greatest is it?

But what I meant is…more recent films. You’ll see people reference mildly successful movies like Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, Mad Max Fury Road or The Matrix Resurrections, John Wick, Megan, Morbius and then you have the bigger hits like stuff from the Marvel Films etc etc

Maybe you don’t think everyone would say “the worlds top comedy talent” and that’s prob true but I guarantee no one, and I mean no one, would say “kids”.

And to answer WCat2000 with a question…but what lasting impression did GBA leave? It came and went. It’s affect on the zeitgeist was nothing. I would say GB16 left FAR MORE of a mark than GBA did. Sure it was mostly negative but at least it elicited a passion of some kind. The world felt its presence.

And sure maybe it doesn’t matter GBA made no lasting impact. Most movies don’t. But I want them to aim a little higher. Be a bit more ambitious.

It’s like how some people are fine just existing. Living one day to the next. While others want to climb the highest mountain, dive to the deepest depths, fly faster, live longer. I’d like Ghostbusters to be the latter.

I’ve said this before but I see how a movie like Top Gun 2 was received and I’m like…why couldn’t that have been GBA? I don’t think that’s asking alot or being unrealistic. A 3rd GB film could’ve been that. Even half that. Legacy sequel to a popular 1980s movie stuck in development for decades.

I just feel like GBA was a real fulcrum point of this franchise. And while they certainly didn’t blow it, I don’t think they got the grand slam they could’ve had. And depending on how this next movie does, I dunno how many more at bats we’ll get that the plate.
So you’re still going with Afterlife left no lasting impact even though plenty of people are clearly excited for this next one? Ok then.

To me and I’m guessing others, the lasting impression GBA made has was Phoebe and introducing new characters to carry on the business. You’re defining lasting impact as how much people reference it or talk about it. Most comments and reviews I’ve see for Afterlife are positive and are looking forward to Firehouse. Does that not count?

Again Top Gun is a terrible example and comparison. Some movies just perform and are individually more successful than others. That’s not an indication that other franchises are doing bad. If that’s the bar then we can say pretty much everything else is failing if they don’t come somewhere within that threshold.

Ya nobody would pick kids when putting a fully functioning GB team together. Which is why Afterlife was about them discovering them. Now that they’re older and working with other adults they fit on a fully functioning team.

Of course within the story they’re probably too young and Walter Peck causes trouble or something. Nobody is saying they’d realistically get hired as firefighters or exterminators but this same type of thing was used as part of the story in the original. Even though they were all adults they were not licensed and went into business without any official credibility. Nobody should have trusted them wearing big unrecognizable equipment claiming to remove ghosts. How did they even get a TV commercial?

Don’t get me wrong I’m NOT saying...“it’s just a movie and all make believe anyway”. I’m saying teens getting to join a GB team and go on dangerous jobs IS believable in these movies. Especially when they’ve already had experience fighting.
Kingpin liked this
Man, I really wonder what that "clam shell" hardware is for exactly. The only other things I can think of are:

Maybe it's housing for some kind of proton/laser gun, like this U.S. Navy laser:

Or maybe it's something more mundane, like, I dunno, housing for one of those dome surveillance cameras? Beats the heck outta me...
RedSpecial, groschopf liked this
zeta otaku wrote: June 7th, 2023, 2:32 pm I don't envy the guys who have to digitally clean up any live shots they take in NYC... getting rid of the mustard colored hue out of EVERYTHING has got to be a pain in the ass.
It makes you wonder if the production might actually keep the visual impact, that it could be worked into the film's story somehow.

Still, hope everyone here who either lives in the Big Apple, or is planning to go there for the Ghostbusters Day celebrations at the Firehouse stays safe and takes the necessary precautions with the air conditions.

RedSpecial, SpaceBallz, deadderek and 1 others liked this
The shots that were just posted over on the OLV Twitter account of filming today don't look bad actually.

https://twitter.com/takelyn/status/1666467241913643008

I absolutely love how all of these photos look like they could have been taken in the 80s aside from the new cars. Perhaps the smoke even gave some of the footage that atmospheric 80s smog ambiance films like GB, Crocodile Dundee, etc. had back then!
moviemaker29 wrote: June 7th, 2023, 2:42 pm The shots that were just posted over on the OLV Twitter account of filming today don't look bad actually.

https://twitter.com/takelyn/status/1666467241913643008

I absolutely love how all of these photos look like they could have been taken in the 80s aside from the new cars. Perhaps the smoke even gave some of the footage that atmospheric 80s smog ambiance films like GB, Crocodile Dundee, etc. had back then!

Depends on the camera settings being used. I tried taking pictures for my out-of-state family and my camera just made things look like it was overcast.
Kingpin wrote: June 7th, 2023, 2:40 pm
zeta otaku wrote: June 7th, 2023, 2:32 pm I don't envy the guys who have to digitally clean up any live shots they take in NYC... getting rid of the mustard colored hue out of EVERYTHING has got to be a pain in the ass.
It makes you wonder if the production might actually keep the visual impact, that it could be worked into the film's story somehow.

Still, hope everyone here who either lives in the Big Apple, or is planning to go there for the Ghostbusters Day celebrations at the Firehouse stays safe and takes the necessary precautions with the air conditions.

Blade Runner 2023
Corey91 liked this
If the red stripes and silver tubes bother ya, you can be rest assured that they definitely made some changes to the proton packs.
deadderek liked this

Yeah, we've been building this thing for ten[…]

Someone on FB found it. NARDA ELECTROMAGNETIC RADI[…]

It appears that some time today someone who […]

Correct, it grants several in fact the Melody's […]