Discuss the upcoming 4th movie, Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire to be released in March 2024.
The movies going to have callbacks and Easter Eggs up the wazoo. This is the 4tth Ghostbusters movie after all. 6th if you include the game and ATC.

There's not much we can do about the callbacks unless Jason franchises into another state with all new characters, and buildings. Every corner you turn in the fire house is going to have an old piece of equipment or left overs from the previous films thrown about. Even restored there's going to be nod's to Egon's history. Phoebe's probably going to spend the bulk of her time learning about Egon, or inventing new equipment.

They may even decide to have Egon's ghost return and help unseen in the background. I don't think we need a full blown manifestation again but it would be a touching scene if Slimer starts noticing things. Maybe Egon helps the spud to finally cross over.

Yeah, I'm with you on wanting new content but callbacks can't be helped.
I get ya. Although I wouldn't mind hearing Winston say something like "My kids are the reason we cant mass produce the proton pack as toys." Lol. I don't envy Jason writing the script. It's got to be a challenge of making sure every new line is original material, not copying his dad's, and figuring out a way to make sure the movie isn't seen as an outright copy of the other 3 films.
timeware wrote: July 19th, 2022, 8:45 am Every corner you turn in the fire house is going to have an old piece of equipment or left overs from the previous films thrown about.
That depends really on the direction Jason takes. When we saw the Firehouse it was pretty much stripped-down to the bare concrete in places (per the building's real-world rehabilitation). While the ECU is still there, that's about the only thing that can't be moved out. It may be that the Firehouse is mostly in a "blank slate" state when it's taken over...

It depends on if Jason wants to throw in more easter eggs, or if he decides that the new film will be geared towards looking to the future of Ghostbusters, so it'd have less call-backs.

As for Egon... I feel it's more respectful to the character and to Harold that his peaceful departure at the end of Afterlife is the last we see of him. I know the opinion isn't universally shared, but I think that was a nice send-off for such a beloved character and actor.

I'd rather the character be respectfully retired than brought back to perform charades to the others for the rest of his afterlife whenever his expertise is needed.
WCat2000, Alphagaia, deadderek and 1 others liked this
For certain we know the Ecto will still be housed in the fire house. Ray and Winston will be eventually moving the equipment from Egon's lab back to the fire house. It wouldn't surprise me if we get to see more GBII nods that Jason couldn't fit into the last film during the move.

It wouldn't be a big deal if they didn't bring back Egon but his presence will still be there in some capacity. the last movie was a good way to close his chapter. If Ghostbusters 5 is the beginning of a new team 4 should close not just Egon's chapter but Slimer's as well. What better way for Slimer to crossover with the help of the Ghostbusters?

New team, new mascot, new vehicle. Restore the Ecto and give it a respectful last hurrah without destroying it. They can bring back Egon without having any interaction with the OG's at all save for Slimer. A couple of behind the back interactions with Phoebe to show he's looking out for her would be very subtle.
I’m sure there will be call backs or direct conversations about the events of GB2, which is totally fine and cool. It’d be weird if they didn’t acknowledge it at all. I know Afterlife barely does but it’s because the OGB aren’t around. Ray and Winston being more involved in the next one and the firehouse reopening or renovated it’s gotta come up.

Ray could have saved some slime in his bookstore. Maybe in a little jar he keeps on display labeled Not For Sale. If a customer gets out of hand it starts bubbling. That’d be funny. Podcast would love talking to it. At least he’d keep it in storage wherever he had his proton pack.

I agree bringing back Egon would be disrespectful and contradict his role in Afterlife. They should not have to rely on him.
Afterlife was a send off to Egon & Venkman. I don't expect either of them to show up anymore, except by name.

Maybe some Egon prototype gear will show up in some fashion.

It's disappointing there will be no Oscar, or his younger brother as eluded to in the Dana zapping Peter scene family photos in the background. (Or will there?)
Does anyone else find that they really don’t care too much about the 4th movie?

With GB3/GBA I read every news story, consumed every rumour or piece of gossip.

And I’m finding I just don’t care anymore. I’m not excited in the least. It’s bumming me out & I was thinking it’s due to the fact that I haven’t liked the last 2 movies. But Ghostbusters and the potential for more ghostbusters has always been such a huge deal for me.

I think maybe it’s that I spent so long wanting that 3rd movie. Since 1997. Years. Decades. My excitement/anticipation never waned.

Maybe it’s like how Drug addicts say the first hit is always the best and then the high becomes less and less with every subsequent hit.

I spent so long wanting GB3 and then the pandemic kept delaying and delaying it like some cruel practical joke. Maybe I’m just burnt out on Ghostbusters. I don’t know. I don’t like it tho. It feels like a piece of my soul is missing.
Davideverona wrote: July 20th, 2022, 8:45 am UNTITLED GHOSTBUSTERS SEQUEL was on Production Weekly in the last couple of issues.
Does it mean that they are moving forward with the actual production?
It's probably already in near-full-swing if not full-swing, but there being a reference to it in Production Weekly's a good sign.
timeware wrote: July 19th, 2022, 8:45 am The movies going to have callbacks and Easter Eggs up the wazoo. This is the 4tth Ghostbusters movie after all. 6th if you include the game and ATC.

There's not much we can do about the callbacks unless Jason franchises into another state with all new characters, and buildings. Every corner you turn in the fire house is going to have an old piece of equipment or left overs from the previous films thrown about. Even restored there's going to be nod's to Egon's history. Phoebe's probably going to spend the bulk of her time learning about Egon, or inventing new equipment.

They may even decide to have Egon's ghost return and help unseen in the background. I don't think we need a full blown manifestation again but it would be a touching scene if Slimer starts noticing things. Maybe Egon helps the spud to finally cross over.

Yeah, I'm with you on wanting new content but callbacks can't be helped.
Are we taking bets that Vigo comes back and wants a baby to possess for the new year since this is coming out a week before the new year?
Kingpin wrote: July 20th, 2022, 12:55 pm
Davideverona wrote: July 20th, 2022, 8:45 am UNTITLED GHOSTBUSTERS SEQUEL was on Production Weekly in the last couple of issues.
Does it mean that they are moving forward with the actual production?
It's probably already in near-full-swing if not full-swing, but there being a reference to it in Production Weekly's a good sign.
They updated it from "development" to "active development", so I guess they're scouting locations, starting casting call, making deals with the actors..
Are we taking bets that Vigo comes back and wants a baby to possess for the new year since this is coming out a week before the new year?
I'm not counting on Vigo. If people are saying that continuing Egon's inclusion is going to be disrespectful Whilehlm passed away in 2004. Which is why I thought making Janoz a villain out for revenge the next big bad a good plot. If Jason's doing GBII.

Peter's still alive and kicking. I will bet a crunch bar Janoz may get cast, Oscars kid's may get cast, and Louis may make a brief appearance. Being back in New York would give him a reason to show up. Maybe settling a law dispute between the Spenglers and Zeddmore over ownership of the company? I doubt he suits up in full gear again.

(Think Daredevil's appearance in Spider-Man.)
RichardLess wrote: July 20th, 2022, 11:26 am Does anyone else find that they really don’t care too much about the 4th movie?
I started feeling that way towards super movies and shows. I’m a big fan and was quite invested with every new property but not so much anymore especially since phase 4 of Marvel Studios has been such a let down. But that’s a pretty good run before I grew less interested. With ghostbusters I’m starving for more
RichardLess wrote:Does anyone else find that they really don’t care too much about the 4th movie?
If anything I'm more excited about the 4th movie. Afterlife set my expectations. It was solid and improves with re-watching.

I'm hoping the callbacks are subtle but it feels like the movie is free from the pressure of the OGB's and being a legacy sequel. I'm sure there will be Firehouse, Slimer, Vigo, Louis callbacks aplenty, but fundamentally the potential of the new movie is huge - it received strong word-of-mouth and did well on VOD. If Sony has confidence and a slightly bigger budget allows for several Muncher-chase style sequences and a new big bad I will be very happy. I want more of Phoebe and Podcast - and Lucky who is severely underrated in Afterlife tbh. Also the potential of new characters being brought in. I'll be happy with more Afterlife, but I'm hoping for something slightly more ambitious and new.

If the containment unit is involved somehow I'd love for them to go down the route of setting it up as a portal/pocket universe like the Real Ghostbusters did. I like the idea of the team needing to defend Ghostbusters as an organisation if it's leaking ghosts, it opens the door to exploring the idea of untrustworthy competitors, which is one of several strong recurring storylines in all of the Ghostbusters media outside of the movies, which would be exciting to explore in the movie canon. Eg. My dream pick would be Ben Schwartz playing a likeable antagonist in a Ghost Smashers style organisation, I could just imagine his schtick geling really well with Phoebe and Podcast.

Plus we'll get new toys and ghosts. What's not to be excited about?

And maybe this time the reviews won't be a political minefield... what surprised me (because I'm naturally cynical) is how well-received Afterlife was amongst all the casual, mainstream audience who caught it on VOD.
WCat2000, Kingpin, mrmichaelt and 3 others liked this
Im still hungry for more.

Rich, I think youre feeling Carpathian Kittenloss..GB3 has been a carrot on a stick for the longest time and always felt like a myth/what if and never possible…and now that you got the carrot, youre in the midst of a “okay so what now?” Period

Like alpha said, there was alot more going on during GBAs announcement with the “barn teaser” and such to get us pumped.

Looking back for me, GBA was like finally getting into the hotel after a long long drive. Now im ready to see some more festivities.

As long as the movies as solid as GBA, im in good faith, all i ask is this time around..incorporate the OG characters into the plot a little cleaner.
Chicken, He Clucked, Alphagaia and 4 others liked this
BatDan wrote: July 21st, 2022, 4:40 am Im still hungry for more.

Rich, I think youre feeling Carpathian Kittenloss..GB3 has been a carrot on a stick for the longest time and always felt like a myth/what if and never possible…and now that you got the carrot, youre in the midst of a “okay so what now?” Period

Like alpha said, there was alot more going on during GBAs announcement with the “barn teaser” and such to get us pumped.

Looking back for me, GBA was like finally getting into the hotel after a long long drive. Now im ready to see some more festivities.

As long as the movies as solid as GBA, im in good faith, all i ask is this time around..incorporate the OG characters into the plot a little cleaner.
I’ve thought about it and what I think is going on is my disappointment has won out. I mentioned before how long I(and most of us here) have been waiting for more GB. And for me they were both just not…good. And I can’t drum up the enthusiasm when I know the guys attached are not comedy writers & the movie likely will be a similar feel. I feel like that lady in the Wendys commercial but instead of “where’s the beef?” It’s “where the comedy?”.
I mean GB16, for all it’s faults, it at least attempted to be a comedy film. Not one member of the main cast on GBA comes from a comedian or SNL player background, which is a break in tradition. Look at the original and it’s a lot of SNL/SCTV talent. GB16 was a whose who of the improv comedy scene. GBA had…Paul Rudd?

Long before GBA came out I made a thread about what fans expect from their Ghostbusters movie & if memory serves more than I expected were ok if it wasn’t an overt comedy. But that just shows how diverse this fandom can be. You can be in it for the comedy, the sci fi, the mythology, the spectacle etc.

I feel weird for saying this but…I don’t want teenagers or kids to be the focus of a Ghostbusters movie. I want a movie with adults. I’m not sure I can articulate why other than Ghostbusters is guys(or girls) living at the firehouse, investigating paranormal and getting in adventures while hilarity ensues. I feel like kids just puts a wrench in that. Now I liked Pheobe. A lot. I could maybe foresee a movie where she does a summer internship with Podcast. Meanwhile a new team is established and maybe Pheobe & Podcast feel like they are getting pushed aside while the “big boys” go to work. I don’t know.

Now if Jason Reitman announced tomorrow that Dan, Ernie and Bill are not just cameos but in this movie as actual characters? I’d be there for that because those are my boys. But I don’t see that happening.

I also wonder if my reaction to the movie was tainted by not seeing it in theatres. The first time I saw GBA I think I loved it. But I don’t remember because I was as high as a kite on pain medication. Sometimes when you watch a movie in a theatre with a crowd, it’s a totally different experience. I’ve watched movies in the theatre and went “oh my good this movie is HILARIOUS” and then I rent it when it comes out and watch it with a date or friends & I’m like…”WTF? This movie is terrible”.
Sav C liked this
RichardLess wrote: July 22nd, 2022, 8:06 am
BatDan wrote: July 21st, 2022, 4:40 am Im still hungry for more.

I’ve thought about it and what I think is going on is my disappointment has won out. I mentioned before how long I(and most of us here) have been waiting for more GB. And for me they were both just not…good. And I can’t drum up the enthusiasm when I know the guys attached are not comedy writers & the movie likely will be a similar feel. I feel like that lady in the Wendys commercial but instead of “where’s the beef?” It’s “where the comedy?”.
I mean GB16, for all it’s faults, it at least attempted to be a comedy film. Not one member of the main cast on GBA comes from a comedian or SNL player background, which is a break in tradition. Look at the original and it’s a lot of SNL/SCTV talent. GB16 was a whose who of the improv comedy scene. GBA had…Paul Rudd?

Long before GBA came out I made a thread about what fans expect from their Ghostbusters movie & if memory serves more than I expected were ok if it wasn’t an overt comedy. But that just shows how diverse this fandom can be. You can be in it for the comedy, the sci fi, the mythology, the spectacle etc.

I feel weird for saying this but…I don’t want teenagers or kids to be the focus of a Ghostbusters movie. I want a movie with adults. I’m not sure I can articulate why other than Ghostbusters is guys(or girls) living at the firehouse, investigating paranormal and getting in adventures while hilarity ensues. I feel like kids just puts a wrench in that. Now I liked Pheobe. A lot. I could maybe foresee a movie where she does a summer internship with Podcast. Meanwhile a new team is established and maybe Pheobe & Podcast feel like they are getting pushed aside while the “big boys” go to work. I don’t know.

Now if Jason Reitman announced tomorrow that Dan, Ernie and Bill are not just cameos but in this movie as actual characters? I’d be there for that because those are my boys. But I don’t see that happening.

I also wonder if my reaction to the movie was tainted by not seeing it in theatres. The first time I saw GBA I think I loved it. But I don’t remember because I was as high as a kite on pain medication. Sometimes when you watch a movie in a theatre with a crowd, it’s a totally different experience. I’ve watched movies in the theatre and went “oh my good this movie is HILARIOUS” and then I rent it when it comes out and watch it with a date or friends & I’m like…”WTF? This movie is terrible”.
I can totally see the "Phoebe and Podcast feeling pushed aside" dynamic working.

Phoebe discovered her legacy, now she wants to live up to it.

"I'm a Spengler, why can't I do the same things my grandfather did? Why did they called someone else to do this job?"

While Winston, having to take in account the dangers of ghostbusting isn't eager to send a teenage girl straight into the mouth of Satan.

Ray is thorn. He miss an equally gifted mind to speak with but at the same time he doesn't want to endanger his dear friend's granddaughter.
There's going to be some drama if Winston's kid's are introduced and wind up being around the same age as Phoebe. I say that if Winston allows his kid's to go on job and Phoebe's mother, or Grooberson (if he's in the picture) tell her that she can't be a Ghostbuster until she's older. She's going to be pissed.

What kid doesn't rebel with an ultimatum like that? Phoebe will go it alone if she has to and somehow saves the day. Maybe at this point she lends her knowledge to a rival Ghost Hunting service out of frustration.

However I'm walking out if Jason throws in Walter Pecks kids and does the whole Rey/Kilo Ren plot. The Peck's and Spanglers are related, or the Stanz and Peck's are related? No thanks! I can really see Jason just for shit's and giggles having Walter Peck getting divorced after the first movie and setting up his ex with a Ghostbuster to start a whole revenge plot.
How much of a time jump are you expecting? Yes the film was delayed a year. If there is a time jump it can't be more then 1-3 years later. Five would be a bit of a stretch. Still, that would place the kids as teens still having to deal with the rules their parent's put forward. Lucky and Trevor may be getting into college or Trevor finishing his senior year.

Someone ID'd them on Facebook first, there w[…]

Two specific ideas I have are basically holiday sp[…]

While waiting impatiently for Frozen Empire to rel[…]

Make it that pack, sell it for $599. (While I […]