Discuss the upcoming 4th movie, Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire to be released in March 2024.
Davideverona wrote: .... but he's sure to be called back, right?
He seems to intimate he already knows he's in it. But last month, Reitman and Kenan said they were still working on it so it's not a shocker Kim hasn't gotten anything or anyone in the cast. It's probably still in the draft phase and a final shooting draft isn't close yet.
Davideverona liked this
He’s definitely talking as if he’s set to return so I’m happy about that. I’m guessing whoever is returning has known for awhile.

I like the idea of the proton pack having more than 1 function but the slime doesn’t really make sense cause where is it stored? It’s fine for a video game but that’s why the slime blowers were a separate piece of equipment.
jonogunn wrote: July 29th, 2022, 1:40 am Am I the only one that doesn’t want a proton pack with added functions? Keep it basic and classic
Agreed.
Davideverona wrote:Thanks! Can you point me to the part of the video where he talks about the new movie?
Around the 13:56 mark. It's very brief.
"But I'm waiting for the Ghostbusters script. When that comes in, I'm going to be every excited. And I'm probably going to read it with the other cast members."
Davideverona wrote: July 29th, 2022, 4:28 am So, we can start assuming that they're rounding up the cast,right?
I'd have to assume that when they signed up for Afterlife that the studio usually has a "3 picture deal" in the contracts.
Davideverona liked this
SpaceBallz wrote: July 29th, 2022, 1:52 pm
Davideverona wrote: July 29th, 2022, 4:28 am So, we can start assuming that they're rounding up the cast,right?
I'd have to assume that when they signed up for Afterlife that the studio usually has a "3 picture deal" in the contracts.
Aka the Bill Murray Clause.
Alphagaia, Davideverona, SpaceBallz and 1 others liked this
Sav C wrote: July 29th, 2022, 7:40 pm
SpaceBallz wrote: July 29th, 2022, 1:52 pm

In putting on the flightsuit and entering the Firehouse, the wearer waives any and all rights to any previous identity, real or implied, and fully accepts the duties and responsibilities of Bill Murray in perpetuity until such time that wearer becomes unable to do so by either accident or design
Sav C, RichardLess, timeware and 2 others liked this
By mrmichaelt
Phillip Webb wrote: July 30th, 2022, 9:54 am Has there been any news about firehouse yet?
No, there is not.

Please don't make another thread just to ask that. I moved your "news" thread here to the Afterlife Sequel News thread.
Davideverona wrote: July 29th, 2022, 11:12 pm
Sav C wrote: July 29th, 2022, 7:40 pm

In putting on the flightsuit and entering the Firehouse, the wearer waives any and all rights to any previous identity, real or implied, and fully accepts the duties and responsibilities of Bill Murray in perpetuity until such time that wearer becomes unable to do so by either accident or design
I don’t give out “likes” often, but god damn. This post deserves it.

You’ve earned the much sought after but rarely given “Richardless Likes This” seal of approval. It’s good for $0.99 off any purchase at any “Wigs R Us” location. Use it wisely.

Seriously tho. This legit made me “lol”.
Davideverona liked this
Thanks for appreciation, I share the glory with Sav C who came up with the phrase "Bill Murray Clause" 😁

Santa Clause is one of my top 5 movies; I didn't saw it in theater but we were able to buy the vhs and watched it all together on the sofa, with the fireplace lighted up. And now that Tim will reprise the role in the Disney+ "The Santa Clauses" I'm really excited to repeat the experience my daughter and son!
Sav C liked this
jonogunn wrote: July 29th, 2022, 1:40 am Am I the only one that doesn’t want a proton pack with added functions? Keep it basic and classic
I get where you're coming from, but we have plenty of material with the classic proton pack and it was a fresh design once.
I think this kind of restrictive nostalgia is the enemy of creativity, good and bad.
Chicken, He Clucked wrote: July 31st, 2022, 3:07 am
I get where you're coming from, but we have plenty of material with the classic proton pack and it was a fresh design once.
I think this kind of restrictive nostalgia is the enemy of creativity, good and bad.
If they do it conservatively like in afterlife I’m okay with that. I mean they are scientists after all so it’s only natural they improve on their tools.
To me they are like the police or firefighters. Their tools rarely change. at the core of ghostbusting it should be capturing and wrangling ghosts.

2016 Ghostbusters introduced all sorts of weapons and felt a little silly.

Or even worse DRAGON BALL. Anyone who is a fan of Dragonball know the insane number of power up states they have with every new villain. It rendered the classic Super Saiyan one pretty much useless.
The bigger issue is how much equipment is truly left and operable? In the long term, Winston needs to find someone who can build more Proton Packs, Traps, P.K.E. Meters, Ecto Goggles etc. because Afterlife cemented that Egon was crucial to their creation and without him... well. I doubt Winston would hinge it on Phoebe who got a 1 night crash course from ghost Egon... or for that matter, did Egon leave notes? How much can Ray help if he even wants to? Eh, he will. Can Winston find someone who can reverse engineer from a working model? And then there's the open ended questions of did they leave Phoebe with the pack she finished in the lab? Did they leave the Trap field there or take it all back to NYC for deposit?
I know Afterlife was a send off for Egon and Harold and whatnot. But one of my issues is how they sidelined Ray and sort of dumbed down his itegralness in creating equipment. In think it took both of them working together to bounce stuff off each other to make it work. Afterlife made it seem like Egon created and built everything and handed it out to all the team, and that's not the case. Ray and Egon were a team in the first 2 movies. He was always needing Ray and mentioned him in all the big theories. Egon was the big brain, but Ray was no slouch, and needs more credit for their equipment in my opinion. He is a tech guy.
jonogunn wrote: July 31st, 2022, 3:57 am
Chicken, He Clucked wrote: July 31st, 2022, 3:07 am

If they do it conservatively like in afterlife I’m okay with that. I mean they are scientists after all so it’s only natural they improve on their tools.
I think the key is to keep the functionality of the Pack within a believable standard... By all means, create some wiggle-room for a bit of expansion on the original design, but definitely not as functionally varied as the video game Pack... The more functions you add to something, the more there is to go wrong (as well as the more weight you're adding to the Pack).
jonogunn wrote: July 31st, 2022, 3:57 am 2016 Ghostbusters introduced all sorts of weapons and felt a little silly.
This is where we're going to be in strong disagreement... The extra weapons Holtzmann designed allowed each Ghostbuster to have a signature piece, as well as flexibility in the jobs they'd be working in the future... I think expanding the arsenal of the 1984 team wouldn't be a bad thing. I'm not advocating they take everything on, like the bear trap... But a Proton Pistol or Proton Grenade wouldn't be a bad thing in the classic/Afterlife's team's repertoire.
mrmichaelt wrote: July 31st, 2022, 4:50 am because Afterlife cemented that Egon was crucial to their creation and without him... well.
My pet theory is that Egon was best suited to the science side of the equipment, whilst Ray handled the actual building - admittedly this is largely based on Ray in the cartoon, but I think Afterlife may back this up a little...

Egon's builds on the farm and at the mine do generally work (apart from the massive capacitors - which might be down to issues with the farm's power supply), but they're cobbled-together, and not very polished in their assembly. I feel Egon was technically competent in throwing the stuff together, but I think Ray could've assembled the equipment better, and maybe resolve some of the issues they were displaying in their operation.

As it stands, while Ray may not have Egon's mind for the science behind the equipment, he'll no doubt have Phoebe to collaborate with, so I think between the two of them the Ghostbusters will be back to full strength in the brain trust needed to design and build the equipment.
CitizenBuster wrote: July 31st, 2022, 8:21 am But one of my issues is how they sidelined Ray and sort of dumbed down his itegralness in creating equipment. In think it took both of them working together to bounce stuff off each other to make it work. Afterlife made it seem like Egon created and built everything and handed it out to all the team, and that's not the case
I don't feel that - like I said in reply to Micheal, the stuff Egon installed for his plan were variations of the equipment he'd been working with for years: A super-sized P.K.E. Meter, a beefed-up P.K.E. Meter, beefed-up Proton Packs and linked-up Ghost Traps to create a super-Trap... Probably the most innovative aspect of his work out in Summerville was the automation side of it, and the taser feature added to the P.K.E. No doubt after years of working with the equipment Egon became familiar enough on how to build and maintain them... But I feel Ray's absence is felt in the fact that by and large, the equipment has not advanced far from its 1984-1989 configurations.
Alphagaia liked this
This is where we're going to be in strong disagreement... The extra weapons Holtzmann designed allowed each Ghostbuster to have a signature piece, as well as flexibility in the jobs they'd be working in the future... I think expanding the arsenal of the 1984 team wouldn't be a bad thing. I'm not advocating they take everything on, like the bear trap... But a Proton Pistol or Proton Grenade wouldn't be a bad thing in the classic/Afterlife's team's repertoire.
I felt the 2016 equipment was trying to be a bit more relatable to RGB. A mashup between the classic and cartoons. This isn't a knock against the movie but I felt the designs of their equipment were kind of half assed. I'm with you on wanting the new equipment to be more portable and light weight for the upcoming films. As much as we love the proton packs Phoebe would find a way to make all that heavy gear of the 80's more convenient.

An exact copy of the weapon Winston is using wouldn't be that far fetched. You could even add a miniature slime tank to the side and connect a green cable to the shoulder pack.

One thing I would like to see the Ghostbusters utilize is 3D printing. Kind of think they missed an opportunity to explore that in Afterlife.

Prime 1986 liked this
Kingpin wrote: July 31st, 2022, 10:25 am My pet theory is that Egon was best suited to the science side of the equipment, whilst Ray handled the actual building - admittedly this is largely based on Ray in the cartoon, but I think Afterlife may back this up a little...

Egon's builds on the farm and at the mine do generally work (apart from the massive capacitors - which might be down to issues with the farm's power supply), but they're cobbled-together, and not very polished in their assembly. I feel Egon was technically competent in throwing the stuff together, but I think Ray could've assembled the equipment better, and maybe resolve some of the issues they were displaying in their operation.

As it stands, while Ray may not have Egon's mind for the science behind the equipment, he'll no doubt have Phoebe to collaborate with, so I think between the two of them the Ghostbusters will be back to full strength in the brain trust needed to design and build the equipment.
True, we've seen Ray in scenes with Egon like in GB2 and we've seen he has a mechanical aptitude in the first movie in getting Ecto-1 into driving condition. As someone who's resurrected an 80s and 90s era Cadillac, that's no simple feat, lol.

I'm kinda was hoping the reason Egon called Ray out of the blue in Afterlife was in part to get his help in finishing the Trap Field. And Ray not going there, is what led to the power supply issue and the traps only being able to be used for a brief window.
There is one thing that they never explained. Why the ghosts look the way they look?

I mean, Egon was obviously the soul of dr Spengler who did not crossed into the Afterlife because he had unfinished business.
So, a ghost of a human being. I still scratch my head as to why the other Gbs seemed so surprised.

What about the other less human-looking ghost? Where they really bad people? Or are they just demons?
Davideverona wrote:There is one thing that they never explained. Why the ghosts look the way they look?

I mean, Egon was obviously the soul of dr Spengler who did not crossed into the Afterlife because he had unfinished business. So, a ghost of a human being. I still scratch my head as to why the other Gbs seemed so surprised.
In that case, the knowledge of Egon's death was still fresh for them, so I think it was just a natural reaction to suddenly seeing Egon's ghost and being at a loss for words at first.
Davideverona wrote: What about the other less human-looking ghost? Where they really bad people? Or are they just demons?
It would be neat to have a Ghostbusters 101 type of scene of the kids being given some formal instruction about the equipment and the nature of ghosts like in the IDW comics but that might fall to the wayside during editing for the excuse of pacing. But over the decades, others have broached the subject. I figured ghosts like the Taxi Driver Zombie and the Miner Ghost look they way they do is because of how they died. The latter we know it a horrendous dive down a mine shaft. Or like in IDW, Slimer was a representational manifestation of the vice of gluttony so it was never human, it's just P.K.E. or in Making Ghostbusters, Aykroyd did comment Slimer is "a vapor - a kind of confluence of stored up psychic energy" from the ghosts of hotel guests who never want to leave.
I'd kind of like to see them explore what the afterlife is to a ghost that's visible/not visable to humans. We got a little glimpse of that with Egon. Is it something like Beetlejuice? Is it like Boo York? The Junior's can only learn so much from Tobin's spirit guide but I can easily see Pod Cast trying to cross over to the other side without dying.

Teacher: Class, I want you to write about what you did this summer,
Podcast: writes real name on paper. Title's it: Spirit's aren't just for drinking. Everything you know is wrong.
New equip and equip mods are integral to GB.

In Afterlife we got:

Ecto 1 Gunner's Seat (derivative of the Kenner toy)

RV Trap (I think Return of the Ghostbusters did it first? ...)

Proton Pack on Switch! (Reference to GB1 elevator scene)

Proton Pack cosmetics ( the new wires etc)

Proton Pack Grips

PKE Taser (Just constantly reminds me of XGB PKE Meter)

Ecto Goggles Polaroid (best idea in the film for the gear ; PS - I tend to think the Goggles are linked to the RV Trap, though it was never officially disclosed)

Podcast's idea of incorporating a GBTVG style Proton Pack is great. They all don't have to be modded. 1 is fine. Or something in the spirit of GBTVG is an excellent idea.

When GB2 came out I thought the Slime Blower and Gigameter we super awesome, as was the scoop Ray used in the river of slime.

Jason already eluded to the concept of repurposing other items being core to the GB equip mantra, so I'm looking forward to new additions in Firehouse.
BatDan wrote: August 1st, 2022, 10:41 am How about the Trap-Pods? Used to suck spirits out of possessed objects? I love that gag in the jewelry store, makes me laugh every time. Lol

Id like to see those return, always thought that was a cool unique gadget.
Is that what was going on In that scene?

It just occurred to me that I never knew what was happening in that scene.
jonogunn wrote: Is that what was going on In that scene?

It just occurred to me that I never knew what was happening in that scene.
They weren't possessed by ghosts. The items were just floating. It was caused by a kind of major P.K.E. storm that passed through Orrefors and affected the silicon molecules in the glass, causing a straight polarity reversal. This was detailed in drafts of the movie.

In Cinefex #40, page 22, Ramis commented it was a 2 pronged approach, "One reason we had the scene in the crystal shop, was that--with the exception of Slimer--we did not want to repeat any of the imagery in the first film. We wanted a scene with something other than an apparition or a materialized being of some kind. Another reason we did it was for the budget. Ivan said, 'Gee, can we come up with something that's mechanical and doesn't involve elaborate opticals?' So we thought, 'Yes, the Ghostbusters can encounter other things besides just spirits,' and we came up with just a straight polarity reversal."
jonogunn, deadderek, Sav C and 1 others liked this

Hey and welcome

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]

I read Back in Town #1. Spoilers : Hate to b[…]