Discuss the upcoming 4th movie, Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire to be released in March 2024.
mrmichaelt wrote: June 5th, 2023, 9:53 pm
jonogunn wrote:Did he almost trip and fall in that last photo? :lol:
Nah, that just him goofing at the end on purpose. It was a 10 second instagram story by Lind. He was on a ladder backstage or something at the concert and doing a dance. Hard to do it justice with screen grabs.
It helps if you shake the screen a bit. Dance, Bill. Dance!
Kingpin wrote: June 5th, 2023, 12:41 pm
RichardLess wrote: June 4th, 2023, 11:31 pm I mean she’s not exactly ripping up theatre tickets is she?
Are Bill or Dan, these days?

I think you maybe need to cut McKenna a little slack, she's building a pretty decent career of television and movie work, and maybe her approach will help her to continue having a successful career long into adulthood... Rather than ending up flaring out after a bright but short career like too many actors and actresses who've been chewed up by the Hollywood organ grinder (Joey Cramer, Mischa Barton or Dustin Diamond to name a few).
RichardLess wrote: June 4th, 2023, 11:31 pmDo they let 14 year olds work with explosive nuclear equipment in New York? I’m not sure. Somehow I doubt that’s OSHA compliant.
And the guys were back in 1984? :)
RichardLess wrote: June 4th, 2023, 11:31 pmIt more or less worked But it’s a one and done story for me. I would’ve be fine with never seeing any of those characters again.
Fair enough, but based on this thread a lot of people are quite happy to see more outings featuring Phoebe, Callie, Gary and the others. And I imagine the cinema-going public will largely roll with having the Afterlife characters busting ghosts in New York.
timeware wrote: June 4th, 2023, 9:17 pm Think they'll give us a trailer in four days? I'm a little bit more optimistic now.
Rookie99 wrote: June 4th, 2023, 10:03 pm My hope is something like the initial Afterlife tease. Just a taste of the tone, nothing from the actual movie. Also a full title reveal would be nice.
That's my expectation as well. If there's a trailer it'll either have very little footage from the film, or none at all... Instead having a bespoke sequence filmed for the movie featuring the cast, maybe Wrecto-1 and the Firehouse soundstage set. Kinda like the teaser they filmed for Back to the Future:

joezlo wrote: June 5th, 2023, 12:01 pm Also, I know everyone's been speculating about the clamshell; but I haven't seen the half dome in ANY photo so far at all...
I was just about to bring that up. It looks like the box with the fan (what some annotated depictions of Ecto-1 describe as an A/C unit) has been moved to the back of the roof rack to accommodate the new clam-shell item, resulting in the half-dome being removed. You can get a better look in this Reddit photo:

Boogie110bear wrote: June 5th, 2023, 11:32 am Ecto-1A is still in its Ghostbusters: Afterlife look at the Peterson museum from what I've heard. A pity, really.
Wrecto-1/Ecto-1 props have been spotted in the U.K. and in America recently... I suspect the Wrecto-1 prop that was on display at the Peterson Museum isn't on display anymore. The "Resurrecto-1" prop being filmed in New York doesn't appear to have any tell-tale mounting marks on the front bumper, so it may be that the car filming on 5th Avenue and near City Hall was the "patina" car the production bought, rather than the former Ecto-1A prop.
I take it you are under the impression I meant the ripping up theatre tickets as something to do with the actors career? No. I meant ripping up theatre tickets As in one of the first jobs a lot of kids have are at a movie theatre checking tickets/ripping ticket Stubbs? Someone mentioned plenty of 14 years old have jobs in New York. Well being a Ghostbuster isn’t exactly like being an usher at a movie theatre. Maybe “ripping up tickets” means something elsewhere in regards to an actors career or pull at box office sort of thing, tho I’ve certainly never heard it.

And while yeah most people will probably be ok with kids being Ghostbusters I’m fairly confident if they had a choice between kids being Ghostbusters and adults being Ghostbusters, I think you’d know which one would win.
And I’m not sure “quite happy” is accurate. I think most people, or anyone that cares, are probably neutral and are more happy just that a new film is being made. I mean…beyond this thread do you see anyone excited for this movie? Do you see anyone talk about or reference the last movie? I sure as hell am not seeing many GBA memes out there.P. Twitter isn’t lighting up with quotes from GBA. It cultural relevance is practically zero.

GBA is like those Ryan Reynolds Netflix movies. Talked about for a bit and then seemingly completely forgotten. It seems in our cultural landscape only really good or really bad are remembered or have any staying power.

Ghostbusters has always been grounded in a realistic world. Sure, Statue of Liberty can walk, but the films have a(here comes one of my favourite movie words) verisimilitude that never breaks. For me? Unless the movie really does the leg work(which it might but given GBA I can’t give them the benefit of the doubt) children busting ghosts breaks that verisimilitude. It’s too big of an ask. There’s more working against it than for it. But maybe, just maybe, they’ll pull a surprise out of the hat and they’ll make it work. But again, I don’t think I can give them the benefit of the doubt. Not yet.

I think if you were to ask people to breakdown the essential ingredients to what makes a good Ghostbusters movie or what they want to see from a Ghostbusters movie they’d say something to the affect of “A group of the worlds top comedy talent investigating supernatural happenings in New York”.

I don’t think any would use the words “kids/teenagers”. Maybe that’ll be important come December 2023.
They filmed on Monday on Coney Island. Looks like they're using Blaze Studios as a codename, too.
https://twitter.com/ninatschen/status/1 ... 1956362243

Indeed, there was an earlier notice seen on May 31. Coney Island filming on Monday and today (Tuesday). Notice was seen saw on Mermaid between Stillwell and 15th St. Says filming is 5 am to 8 pm both days on portion of beach spanning from W 10th to W 12th Sts. from the boardwalk to the waterline and involves special effects.
https://twitter.com/sunflwer1975/status ... 3464430592

And on Wednesday, there will be filming at Church & White.
https://twitter.com/youdidntgetem/statu ... 9075464194
I think this is the one David heard of. Maybe it's them driving from the Firehouse to Church & White or vice versa (The intersections are Church & White then 6th Ave & White then W Broadway & White W Broadway and N Moore then N Moore and Varick)

the @olv account on Twitter is looking to be a good source to keep an eye on.

EDIT: Another post of the Broadway and Church stuff.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CtJgVZzrxaz/
mrmichaelt wrote:^Hmm, yeah. Or perhaps... is there any dragon-themed rides at Coney Island? If yes, maybe that gets possessed/animated and the Ghostbusters are called?
Even if there is no dragon themed ride at Coney Island in real life, they could make one up for the film.

I just mention Tiamat because she's the primordial goddess of the sea in Mesopotamian mythology.

Edited due to typos.
Last edited by JonXCTrack on June 7th, 2023, 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
mrmichaelt liked this
JonXCTrack wrote: June 5th, 2023, 1:20 pm
Also, I found this video on Youtube:

I can only speculate, but... are the people walking up to the car and taking selfies appear to be extras reacting to the Ecto-1 coming to a stop after taking out the bike rack? Certainly looks that way with the barriers and boom coming down from overhead.
mrmichaelt wrote: June 6th, 2023, 5:36 am They filmed on Monday on Coney Island. Looks like they're using Blaze Studios as a codename, too.
https://twitter.com/ninatschen/status/1 ... 1956362243

Indeed, there was an earlier notice seen on May 31. Coney Island filming on Monday and today (Tuesday). Notice was seen saw on Mermaid between Stillwell and 15th St. Says filming is 5 am to 8 pm both days on portion of beach spanning from W 10th to W 12th Sts. from the boardwalk to the waterline and involves special effects.
https://twitter.com/sunflwer1975/status ... 3464430592

And on Wednesday, there will be filming at Church & White.
https://twitter.com/youdidntgetem/statu ... 9075464194
I think this is the one David heard of. Maybe it's them driving from the Firehouse to Church & White or vice versa (The intersections are Church & White then 6th Ave & White then W Broadway & White W Broadway and N Moore then N Moore and Varick)

the @olv account on Twitter is looking to be a good source to keep an eye on.

EDIT: Another post of the Broadway and Church stuff.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CtJgVZzrxaz/
Would that stretch of Coney Island beach be covered by this live cam? https://www.earthcam.com/usa/newyork/co ... oneyisland
There's something that *might* be a camera crane just beyond the peak of the roller coaster! That's between West 10th and West 12th, right?
mrmichaelt liked this
Judging by all these locations, it seems like this movie is gonna have a motherload of set-pieces. Or, at the very least, maybe these locations will be featured in a cool musical montage, of the sort featured in the first two films. (For me it doesn't feel like a proper GB film without a rockin' montage.)
mrmichaelt liked this
groschopf wrote: June 6th, 2023, 8:51 am
JonXCTrack wrote: June 5th, 2023, 1:20 pm
Also, I found this video on Youtube:

I can only speculate, but... are the people walking up to the car and taking selfies appear to be extras reacting to the Ecto-1 coming to a stop after taking out the bike rack? Certainly looks that way with the barriers and boom coming down from overhead.
I'd say you are 100% correct. They would not operate that crane over top of civilians or people not supposed to be in that area. Also notice the crew guy right in front conducting something with his hand signals, either to people extras, car extras, or the techno crane itself.
ghoulishfright wrote: June 6th, 2023, 11:15 am Judging by all these locations, it seems like this movie is gonna have a motherload of set-pieces. Or, at the very least, maybe these locations will be featured in a cool musical montage, of the sort featured in the first two films. (For me it doesn't feel like a proper GB film without a rockin' montage.)
Considering there was no New York in Afterlife, they need to make up for that by including as much New York as possible in this one!
ghoulishfright liked this
RichardLess wrote: June 6th, 2023, 4:50 amI take it you are under the impression I meant the ripping up theatre tickets as something to do with the actors career?
My bad, I thought it was a variation of "getting butts in seats" that I hadn't heard of before.

If we held that poll, maybe adult Ghostbusters would win... But the film still seemed to do pretty well in enticing the adult audience even with McKenna, Logan, Celeste and Finn starring prominently in it, and driving around in Wrecto-1, which leaves me with the impression the general public aren't all that turned off by it featuring a sizable teenage cast in place of a fully adult cast... I think the trailer gave a good enough impression of the tone that this wasn't a kids movie with Ghostbusters, but instead a Ghostbusters movie with kids.
...Though whether the past affability of the public holds and continues past when the new films opens is something we have to wait and see.

I will concede that Afterlife's cultural impact hasn't been huge, but how many people outside of our fandom reference Ghostbusters II, or Extreme Ghostbusters? The occasions where it does happen are notable because they're usually so rare.

I think if you were to ask people to name the essential ingredients of Ghostbusters, you'd probably get "Ghosts, back packs, the car, lasers, explosions, comedy, the green ghost" (and maybe Bill Murray), but I don't think anyone would actually say "the world's top comedy talent".

-Especially as (controversial opinion) Bill was never part of "the world's top comedy talent". He can deliver improv that can get chuckles from the audience, but he's no George Carlin, Robin Williams or Victoria Wood (a British stand-up comedian). Bill might've drawn the crowds in based on his previous successful films, but Dan and Harold were clearly where the greater quality of comedy lay (Egon cautiously poking that man in the Sedgewick hallway, or the playful smile and his line about his students being more interested in his epididymis showed Harold had more talent in comedy and more nuance than Bill's loud and obnoxious style). (End of controversial opinion)

groschopf wrote: June 6th, 2023, 8:51 am I can only speculate, but... are the people walking up to the car and taking selfies appear to be extras reacting to the Ecto-1 coming to a stop after taking out the bike rack? Certainly looks that way with the barriers and boom coming down from overhead.
That was my interpretation of that video. :)

Regarding those filming notices, there's a couple of visual Easter eggs hidden in them. :)

This one:
Is using the fan-made Ghostbusters font for the project name: LINK

And this one:
Is using the nametag font I made: LINK
Annie Potts posted a pic of her and Patton Oswalt today enjoying dinner:

Mehaps he plays a love interest of Janine's...
Kingpin, RedSpecial, mrmichaelt and 2 others liked this
Being completely honest I don’t care whether the main team are teens, adults or a mix of both. I’m happy McKenna Grace is going to be a main character because she played Phoebe so well and so did Logan Kim as Podcast. (Finn and Celeste were perfectly fine. They just didn’t get much story time).

Good characters and actors portraying them matters way more than a full adult cast of comedy actors imo. The comedy should come from how well the humor is written in addition to the actors playing it.

I gotta disagree that Afterlife left no lasting impact. GB is already established in pop culture. Afterlife specifically did not need to reach some level of popularity to be considered worthwhile. It’s obvious people even outside of these boards are excited for the next one. There’s plenty of interest...otherwise we would not have people taking videos of filming.

What exactly did Afterlife need to do to “leave it’s mark”? Most people liked Phoebe and enjoyed the movie. We can all agree there’s flaws like the OGB just showing up. That’s besides the point.

The notion that Afterlife or even this movie needs to meet or exceed the same impact of the original is just unfair. It’s not gonna happen. It’s nobody’s fault it’s just how sequels go. The original movies in whatever franchise already made that cultural impact. A sequel can’t redo it because it’s already happened. That doesn’t mean it’s inferior or that people care less.

People argue the same thing about Jurassic Park. Regardless of your opinions on the sequels (which are definitely questionable) the first movie already exposed us to that “thing”. The sequels were not going produce the same reaction. A sequel can only build on what’s already happened.
Last edited by WCat2000 on June 6th, 2023, 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Corey91, RedSpecial, Kingpin liked this
Chicken, He Clucked wrote: June 6th, 2023, 11:21 am Coney Island would be such an amazing location for a GB set piece or climax.
Agreed, and it already has some lore within the franchise having been used on RGB, RGB comics, EGB, and IDW comics.

And well, filming on sand. Fun.
robbritton wrote: June 6th, 2023, 10:34 am Would that stretch of Coney Island beach be covered by this live cam? https://www.earthcam.com/usa/newyork/co ... oneyisland
There's something that *might* be a camera crane just beyond the peak of the roller coaster! That's between West 10th and West 12th, right?
Yes, W 10th is where the trailers and vehicles are all parked along.
Corey91, robbritton liked this
zeta otaku wrote: June 6th, 2023, 4:51 pm So, just a head's up: Canada is on fire and NYC is getting ALL the smoke. It's REALLY friggin bad, so if you're coming to the city, bring an N95 mask for your health so you're not breathing in Canadian smoke along with the regular NYC air.
We're dealing with the problem here in MI as well sadly.
SpaceBallz liked this
Kingpin wrote: June 6th, 2023, 2:03 pm
RichardLess wrote: June 6th, 2023, 4:50 amI take it you are under the impression I meant the ripping up theatre tickets as something to do with the actors career?
My bad, I thought it was a variation of "getting butts in seats" that I hadn't heard of before.

If we held that poll, maybe adult Ghostbusters would win... But the film still seemed to do pretty well in enticing the adult audience even with McKenna, Logan, Celeste and Finn starring prominently in it, and driving around in Wrecto-1, which leaves me with the impression the general public aren't all that turned off by it featuring a sizable teenage cast in place of a fully adult cast... I think the trailer gave a good enough impression of the tone that this wasn't a kids movie with Ghostbusters, but instead a Ghostbusters movie with kids.
...Though whether the past affability of the public holds and continues past when the new films opens is something we have to wait and see.

I will concede that Afterlife's cultural impact hasn't been huge, but how many people outside of our fandom reference Ghostbusters II, or Extreme Ghostbusters? The occasions where it does happen are notable because they're usually so rare.

I think if you were to ask people to name the essential ingredients of Ghostbusters, you'd probably get "Ghosts, back packs, the car, lasers, explosions, comedy, the green ghost" (and maybe Bill Murray), but I don't think anyone would actually say "the world's top comedy talent".

-Especially as (controversial opinion) Bill was never part of "the world's top comedy talent". He can deliver improv that can get chuckles from the audience, but he's no George Carlin, Robin Williams or Victoria Wood (a British stand-up comedian). Bill might've drawn the crowds in based on his previous successful films, but Dan and Harold were clearly where the greater quality of comedy lay (Egon cautiously poking that man in the Sedgewick hallway, or the playful smile and his line about his students being more interested in his epididymis showed Harold had more talent in comedy and more nuance than Bill's loud and obnoxious style). (End of controversial opinion)

I mean, you can have the opinion that Bill Murray was never part of the world top comedic talent. You may not dig his style or like him but in 1980s-early 1990s? He would’ve been in the top 10-15. Maybe you are mixing up “stand up comedy” with “comedy”? Bill is a comedian in the sense that…well his primary job was making people laugh and he was insanely good at it. No one would argue Bill is a top stand up comedian. But a comedic actor? And yes Dan, Harold and Rick Moranis would be included in that “Top Comedic” talent. I don’t think anyone in the GBA cast except Paul Rudd is in that tier. Tho Carrie Coon could be. Imo she’s the best thing in that movie.

And while I agree Extreme Ghostbusters doesn’t get referenced….Ghostbusters 2 is memed and referenced(I see the “Everything You Are Doing is Bad. I Want You To Know This” gif quite a bit as well as “…Evil?”. Basically a lot of Janosz.)But let’s say no one referenced EGB or GB2…what does that have to do with GBA—a movie that was released 2 years ago? You are comparing it to a poorly received movie over 30 years old and a TV show that got a single season and barely anyone watched? I dunno if that’s the comparison you think it is. Like..I love GB2, a lot of us here love GB2. But it’s rep aint the greatest is it?

But what I meant is…more recent films. You’ll see people reference mildly successful movies like Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, Mad Max Fury Road or The Matrix Resurrections, John Wick, Megan, Morbius and then you have the bigger hits like stuff from the Marvel Films etc etc

Maybe you don’t think everyone would say “the worlds top comedy talent” and that’s prob true but I guarantee no one, and I mean no one, would say “kids”.

And to answer WCat2000 with a question…but what lasting impression did GBA leave? It came and went. It’s affect on the zeitgeist was nothing. I would say GB16 left FAR MORE of a mark than GBA did. Sure it was mostly negative but at least it elicited a passion of some kind. The world felt its presence.

And sure maybe it doesn’t matter GBA made no lasting impact. Most movies don’t. But I want them to aim a little higher. Be a bit more ambitious.

It’s like how some people are fine just existing. Living one day to the next. While others want to climb the highest mountain, dive to the deepest depths, fly faster, live longer. I’d like Ghostbusters to be the latter.

I’ve said this before but I see how a movie like Top Gun 2 was received and I’m like…why couldn’t that have been GBA? I don’t think that’s asking alot or being unrealistic. A 3rd GB film could’ve been that. Even half that. Legacy sequel to a popular 1980s movie stuck in development for decades.

I just feel like GBA was a real fulcrum point of this franchise. And while they certainly didn’t blow it, I don’t think they got the grand slam they could’ve had. And depending on how this next movie does, I dunno how many more at bats we’ll get that the plate.
deadderek liked this
deadderek wrote: June 6th, 2023, 7:55 pm
zeta otaku wrote: June 6th, 2023, 4:51 pm So, just a head's up: Canada is on fire and NYC is getting ALL the smoke. It's REALLY friggin bad, so if you're coming to the city, bring an N95 mask for your health so you're not breathing in Canadian smoke along with the regular NYC air.
We're dealing with the problem here in MI as well sadly.
We're getting hit by Canada AND Grayling fires. Been super hazy here in the Sault.
deadderek liked this
mrmichaelt wrote: June 6th, 2023, 10:53 pm Photo from Coney Island filming.
https://twitter.com/youdidntgetem/statu ... 2339466250
That's 100% what was happening while I was watching the webcam! I got to see some filming, however indirectly!
mrmichaelt, Alphagaia liked this

I don't remember exactly, But I think I've had pr[…]

Someone ID'd them on Facebook first, there w[…]

Two specific ideas I have are basically holiday sp[…]

While waiting impatiently for Frozen Empire to rel[…]