Discuss the upcoming 4th movie, Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire to be released in March 2024.
Didn't we all miss something when dicussing this?

The end of Afterlife the containment unit warning light flashes. They have to do something with that in the new script.

Did Ray just leave all the ghosts in there when he knew they would leave the building? That would be somewhat irresponsible.

I doubt they emptied it or got rid of the ghosts somehow. Or allowed them to pass over.

Did they empty all the traps from Summerville in there? Is Gozer in there now?

Was it a ghost relic from the past?

Did an entity that was never trapped manifest itself into the containment unit somehow? Waiting for Gozer to be put inside?
mrmichaelt wrote: December 15th, 2022, 3:48 pm Take with salt until a more credible source surfaces but Chris Pratt is rumored to be in talks to join the cast.
https://www.giantfreakinrobot.com/ent/c ... usive.html
I liked Peter Quill and Owen Grady, but they're the same character at heart... And we don't need him doing it again in Ghostbusters. :sigh:
deadderek, mrmichaelt, robbritton and 1 others liked this
mrmichaelt wrote: December 15th, 2022, 3:48 pm Take with salt until a more credible source surfaces but Chris Pratt is rumored to be in talks to join the cast.
https://www.giantfreakinrobot.com/ent/c ... usive.html
Hopefully not.
mrmichaelt liked this
Im on bored for more Gbengers. The only voices in the Mario trailer that bug me are Bowser and Toads.

Bowsers not deep enough and Toad should be more whiney/annoying. Pratt would be the right choice for a buster.

At least hes not saying , it's a me Mary-o! Random thought. If Pratt does have the role it would be a great Easter egg if his name tag says Mario.
If Star Trek can't/couldn't afford Hemsworth for their part 4, surely Ghostbusters can't afford Pratt for theirs?!

And Bill Hader is such an obvious choice it makes me crazy - the man was born to play a Ghostbuster! Get him in there!
Kingpin, SpaceBallz liked this
robbritton wrote: December 16th, 2022, 3:26 am If Star Trek can't/couldn't afford Hemsworth for their part 4, surely Ghostbusters can't afford Pratt for theirs?!

And Bill Hader is such an obvious choice it makes me crazy - the man was born to play a Ghostbuster! Get him in there!
Pratt has just come off Jurassic Park and Guardians duty though. We don't know what offers he is getting, but his possible love for the IP and the fact his MCU colleague Rudd is already in the mix could attract him even if the paycheck isn't huge.

Agree about Hader but we're juggling a lot of characters already. Pratt would fit the bill for either Oscar or an antagonist of some description.
Chicken, He Clucked wrote: December 16th, 2022, 3:28 am
robbritton wrote: December 16th, 2022, 3:26 am If Star Trek can't/couldn't afford Hemsworth for their part 4, surely Ghostbusters can't afford Pratt for theirs?!

Pratt has just come off Jurassic Park and Guardians duty though. We don't know what offers he is getting, but his possible love for the IP and the fact his MCU colleague Rudd is already in the mix could attract him even if the paycheck isn't huge.

Agree about Hader but we're juggling a lot of characters already. Pratt would fit the bill for either Oscar or an antagonist of some description.
Oh Chris Pratt is in consideration for Ghostbusters 4? Cool let’s see where this is coming from…

Oh. Giant Freaking Robot. Ah yes. The always reliable GFR

Guys. It’s bullshit. Giant Freaking Robots gets about as many legit scoops as my Grandma and she’s been dead for 11 years! Raisin Bran is more honest about their scoops..(two scoops my ass!)…than GFR

In all seriousness a little birdy told me Henry Cavill’s schedule recently opened up lol Maybe he’d be a good Superman, I mean Ghostbuster(or villain!)

Maybe I’m out of touch with the world but I just don’t see where the next wave of comedic talent is coming from. YouTube maybe? TikTok. ???
SNL? I don’t think I could name a cast member beyond Pete Davidson or Kenan Thompson and one I only know because of his extra curricular activities with the opposite sex.
When y’all talk about wanting the likes of Pratt and Hader being in ghostbusters did you mean you want them as actual busters or just in the movie as some other character ala Paul Rudd?

It seems to me that it’s clear that going forward the main cast and busters will be the kids. Seems like they will live and die with a younger generation. Seems weird to have a team of active busters of teens and 40+ year old men
RichardLess wrote:
Chicken, He Clucked wrote: December 16th, 2022, 3:28 am Pratt has just come off Jurassic Park and Guardians duty though. We don't know what offers he is getting, but his possible love for the IP and the fact his MCU colleague Rudd is already in the mix could attract him even if the paycheck isn't huge.

Oh Chris Pratt is in consideration for Ghostbusters 4? Cool let’s see where this is coming from…

Oh. Giant Freaking Robot. Ah yes. The always reliable GFR

Guys. It’s bullshit. Giant Freaking Robots gets about as many legit scoops as my Grandma and she’s been dead for 11 years! Raisin Bran is more honest about their scoops..(two scoops my ass!)…than GFR

In all seriousness a little birdy told me Henry Cavill’s schedule recently opened up lol Maybe he’d be a good Superman, I mean Ghostbuster(or villain!)

Maybe I’m out of touch with the world but I just don’t see where the next wave of comedic talent is coming from. YouTube maybe? TikTok. ???
SNL? I don’t think I could name a cast member beyond Pete Davidson or Kenan Thompson and one I only know because of his extra curricular activities with the opposite sex.
Honestly dude. Thats why im glad they went the more “character based” route they did with afterlife.

Just cast talented actors, they dont have to be famously “comedic”

The holywood comedy “scene” is so weird now. I cant even explain it. 15 years ago the PR suits were trying their damndest to push Seth Rogan to be this comedic genius. Then kevin hart came along and started appearing in everything. And thats kinda where the road got blurry as far as “emerging comedy stars”

Mainstream has kinda dwindled on making those “paths”

Hollywoods more interested in the emergence of vast ideological movement than a sole talent.
jonogunn wrote: December 16th, 2022, 5:00 am When y’all talk about wanting the likes of Pratt and Hader being in ghostbusters did you mean you want them as actual busters or just in the movie as some other character ala Paul Rudd?

It seems to me that it’s clear that going forward the main cast and busters will be the kids. Seems like they will live and die with a younger generation. Seems weird to have a team of active busters of teens and 40+ year old men
Personally, a theory I have is that some of the drama of the movie is going to come about from the Junior Ghostbusters feeling pushed aside and unwanted when Winston gets a new proper team going. It could be like the Peck V Venkman dynamic except it’s now Ghostbusters V Ghostbusters Junior until they all come together at the end. Or something.

I’ve never liked the idea of Junior or teenage Ghostbusters. What I like about Ghostbusters is the idea that it’s a 24/7 job like firefighters/plumbers. Day or night. Being a Ghostbusters is like being Spider-Man or an Avenger. Yeah Spider-Man is a teenager but he’s also not charging for his services. If the idea going forward is these kids are the new GBs I think that’s a serious mistake. I think they should be characters in the film and be involved in the plot but they shouldn’t be going out on calls.

Think about it this way. A great moment from the first film is the “See You on the other side Ray” it’s a rare sweet moment of Venkman recognizing the seriousness of the situation and accepting the stakes. They are most likely going to die here. That scene with kid Ghostbusters suddenly becomes a whole other thing. They are children. Sacrificing their lives. The drama becomes too big, too serious. But you need those moments. That’s why adult Ghostbusters works and GB Jr doesn’t. It’s fine for a off shoot movie like Afterlife. When if it becomes a business again? No. Please. It would be a huge mistake.

I’ve also never wanted the idea of multiple GB franchises either. I know that’s a common want for some fans but I feel like as soon as you open that box and make Ghostbusters a common thing around the world, all of a sudden they become less special as heroes. Ghostbusters works, imo, because those 4 guys are the only guys with proton packs in the world. No one else anywhere could solve the problem. Introducing franchises and corporate Ghostbusters all over the world/country it makes things too big. You’d lose something. It’d be like if every country or city had an Avengers team or if every city had a Batman. Suddenly what makes Batman so special becomes less so.

Just one man’s opinion anyways,
One time, deadderek liked this
The plot beats I think that would make sense don’t involve the OGB’s or new characters.

If the containment unit leaks the Ghostbusters will be taking some heat. I see Phoebe having a test of confidence but then ultimately redeeming the name and reclaiming the GB name / business.

I see Podcast in Ray’s Occult, and Callie & Gary suiting up. Beyond that, anyone’s guess.
I don't think franchising out would be a huge issue if done small at first. Every corner of the world has its own amateur Ghost hunting crew.

Let me rephrase that. Anyone with a smart phone can become a Ghost hunter now.

It wouldn't take away from the original but expand the franchise. As for drama with the kids Phoebes smart enough to realize that the GB's are training them to replace the new team.

I'm sure Winston's going to give them jobs to keep the kids occupied. High paying jobs that will allow them to pay for college.

I agree the kids should be background characters this time working on vehicles, research and building/repairing equipment.

Although proton pack training behind the fire house would be a fun video game nod.
RichardLess wrote: December 16th, 2022, 10:11 am
Personally, a theory I have is that some of the drama of the movie is going to come about from the Junior Ghostbusters feeling pushed aside and unwanted when Winston gets a new proper team going. It could be like the Peck V Venkman dynamic except it’s now Ghostbusters V Ghostbusters Junior until they all come together at the end. Or something.

I’ve never liked the idea of Junior or teenage Ghostbusters. What I like about Ghostbusters is the idea that it’s a 24/7 job like firefighters/plumbers. Day or night. Being a Ghostbusters is like being Spider-Man or an Avenger. Yeah Spider-Man is a teenager but he’s also not charging for his services. If the idea going forward is these kids are the new GBs I think that’s a serious mistake. I think they should be characters in the film and be involved in the plot but they shouldn’t be going out on calls.

Think about it this way. A great moment from the first film is the “See You on the other side Ray” it’s a rare sweet moment of Venkman recognizing the seriousness of the situation and accepting the stakes. They are most likely going to die here. That scene with kid Ghostbusters suddenly becomes a whole other thing. They are children. Sacrificing their lives. The drama becomes too big, too serious. But you need those moments. That’s why adult Ghostbusters works and GB Jr doesn’t. It’s fine for a off shoot movie like Afterlife. When if it becomes a business again? No. Please. It would be a huge mistake.

I’ve also never wanted the idea of multiple GB franchises either. I know that’s a common want for some fans but I feel like as soon as you open that box and make Ghostbusters a common thing around the world, all of a sudden they become less special as heroes. Ghostbusters works, imo, because those 4 guys are the only guys with proton packs in the world. No one else anywhere could solve the problem. Introducing franchises and corporate Ghostbusters all over the world/country it makes things too big. You’d lose something. It’d be like if every country or city had an Avengers team or if every city had a Batman. Suddenly what makes Batman so special becomes less so.

Just one man’s opinion anyways,
I agree with literally every point you made in this post.

I have to be careful because over the years I’ve learned that this franchise means (vastly) different things to different people, and we have to be careful not to devalue something others value in it. I have a huge soft spot for GBTVG Realistic version (canonicity aside) and Ryan French because it was the final (long) chapter where all the original guys were in a direct Ghostbusters sequel.

It may be that people have reverence for what introduced them to the franchise. Some people love GB2 immensely because it’s the first thing they saw. Or how RGB introduced them to it. All very valid points.

From where I’m standing it was GB1. As a young child seeing these official looking guys with official looking equipment do battle with the supernatural was influential. I wanted to learn more about that world. I learned to appreciate the comedy much later. I never understood why they had different colored uniforms in RGB, and felt let down when GB2 appeared as a less serious movie. But that’s my own personal opinion. Your point that GB should always be Venkman, Stantz, Spengler and Zeddemore and definitely for adults rings very true. Those names are eternal. In this world or the next.

Afterlife walked a thin line (in my view) of having a young child firing a proton pack, capturing ghosts and standing up to Gozer (with Egon’s help) but managed it, simply because of the emotional connection. But that it was on the egde for me. It’s a tough sell for Sony. Do they make this a kid’s franchise? How do they not alienate kids? How do they make it a cool adult franchise? If these new adult hires rumors are true then Sony sees this too.

I think they have to go back to what made GB1 great. Adults acting (somewhat) like kids. Using beserk equipment in absurd, comical situations with a serious undertone. That would leverage both. Adults would feel like kids again and kids would have an example of the kind of adults they would want to become with all their youthful curiosity and mischief without any of the bore of adult life.

Never have children as ghostbusters, that devalues the whole principle.

“It’s so simple a child could do it” devalues the premise.
deadderek liked this
A note on franchising and the idea that there isn't an Avengers or Batman for every city or state-the 50 State Initiative and Batman Incorporated were both introduced in the comics and were sort of that. The Initiative didn't really go anywhere, but Batman Incorporated I think has become a fan favorite part of Batmans history (mainly because that was when Grant Morrison was on Batman and people love their run).
I don't really want a Ghostbusters Cinematic Universe, but having a team in Japan or France for a movie or miniseries would be fun. Lots of potential for new kinds of ghosts.
gamera1968 liked this
Chicken, He Clucked wrote: December 16th, 2022, 3:14 pm Richardless, One Time, timeware… if you fellas are expecting the kids to take a back seat and Winston to recruit a new adult team of Busters I’ve got some very bad news for you.

The kids are 100% the protagonists and Busters in the next movie.
I agree (reluctantly) that we will most likely see the kids busting ghosts, but the rumors of these new hires indicate that we will atleast have adults too and it will not just be children.
Chicken, He Clucked wrote: December 16th, 2022, 3:14 pm Richardless, One Time, timeware… if you fellas are expecting the kids to take a back seat and Winston to recruit a new adult team of Busters I’ve got some very bad news for you.

And where you heard that?

Oh you’ve read the script? Cool. Is it good? How does it be compare to the other movies?

I have no doubt the kids will the be protagonist. I have no doubt they will use proton packs.

But making them “the” Ghostbusters is pretty lame. And stupid. But I’ve accepted long ago this franchise has moved beyond me. I haven’t enjoyed the last two films so chances are I won’t like this one. I have more of a passing interest in the 4th film than a burning desire borne out of my fandom.

I wish I could experience the GB film I have in my head on the big screen. I can picture it so clearly it’s practically real to me. Ah well. Maybe in another life.
deadderek liked this

Someone ID'd them on Facebook first, there w[…]

Two specific ideas I have are basically holiday sp[…]

While waiting impatiently for Frozen Empire to rel[…]

Make it that pack, sell it for $599. (While I […]