Discuss the upcoming 4th movie, Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire to be released in March 2024.
SpaceBallz wrote: June 7th, 2022, 6:55 pm
BatDan wrote: June 3rd, 2022, 9:02 pm Been hearing alot about Top Gun Maverick lately.

Got me thinking—GB4 HAS to take notes and center on Winston leading the new team in NYC. For me, id just like to see him have his “own” movie/story (since the first two films centered on Peter and 3rd was Egons story) and it seems like going the Maverick/Kobra Kai route is the best way to do so.

With the note that Afterlife left off on in the end credits—it only makes sense to build off that.

Jason did say “winston is the “key” to the where he wants to take the franchise next” so i geuss that is a little hint.

I dunno, just spitballing after seeing all the glowing reviews for Maverick recently.

Surely enough, we were all way off on what the story was for Afterlife…so well see what little news tidbits drop next week.
I think Top Gun: Maverick took notes from Afterlife, there are several "homage" scenes that are basically re-creations from the first one. It was pretty good btw.
The difference with Top Gun is that they were all contextually and narratively appropriate. I can only think of one moment towards the end where it felt like a callback for the sake of a callback rather than pushing the story on. Afterlife floundered a little because (taking the finale alone) the "hey flat top!", "Gozer the Gozerian, in the name of...", and "Are you a god?" beats exist for no reason other than to parrot superior lines from the original. The audience is slightly denied the joy of the comeback by having it be made into an inferior version of a scene we've already seen, rather than have the callbacks happen naturally. Heck, if they had to touch those beats even something like Dan saying "who's a god now, flat top?!" when they had her snared would have covered some of that ground much more naturally.

But yeah, anyway. Top Gun Maverick is an object lesson in exactly how this stuff should be done, and I hope someone at Sony is taking notes!
Chicken, He Clucked wrote: June 8th, 2022, 1:33 am What time do the festivities (announcements) begin?

Around 5pm BST?
Shrug. Maybe. Between 5-7 pm BST on social media accounts sounds like a good bet. Not too sure what they got planned during the day before the screening in the evening. Never saw any further plans posted online.
Davideverona wrote: June 8th, 2022, 3:15 am I have the feeling that Afterlife was just the franchise stretching its muscles after sleeping for a while. The next one will be the Ghostbusters 3 we were waiting for.
Yeah, I like to think/hope Afterlife was the appetizer and this sequel will be the main course.
RedSpecial, robbritton liked this
Davideverona wrote:Well, a new Ghostbusters animated series with Jason and Gil producing was just announced.

I guess if that's the announcement they were gonna make or if there's more to come
I was wondering that, too. Here's the article announcing the new series for ease of reference: https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/ghostb ... 235285985/
It's light on details. Perhaps Gil and Jason will describe more specifics. Is this set in the same universe as RGB and EGB? Will it be an animated continuation of Phoebe and Podcast's adventures? Will it be Ecto-Force? Maybe Ecto-Force consists of Phoebe and Podcast, but they're adults now. Or maybe it's the original ghostbusters, but it's been retconned to modern day? Regardless of the approach, I hope they get JMS on board. If anybody understands how to write a ghostbusters IP, it's him.
Thread for the new cartoon is here:
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=49925

The same Variety article states at the bottom, "News of the new animated series comes on the annual “Ghostbusters Day” celebration, during which Jason Reitman and Kenan are expected to unveil more about future “Ghostbusters” projects." So yes, there should be more announcements, presumably including this movie sequel.
Looks like we're going back to New York (officially) :)
deadderek, BatDan, Davideverona and 1 others liked this
I’m so excited right now. I know I expected it but seeing it official makes me so happy. It’s exactly what I wanted. I know we don’t know details but being a direct follow up of Afterlife.
VenomSymbiote, deadderek, zeta otaku and 1 others liked this
Great Gozers! I need to sit down. All these announcements are great! LOL!

Limited Comic
New Animated series possibly Ecto Force
New Animated Movie Fresh Take, New Team, Sounds great ;)
And a Sequel to Afterlife. Sigh I am so looking forward to taking all this stuff in.

Ghostbusters Afterlife showed me that if the world is in danger no matter how old the OGs are or even if they are no longer on the physical plain they will never hesitate to suit up again to save the world. Now I am not really expecting that to happen again in the Afterlife sequel, but I will hope that they try to top the end of Afterlife. I am just going to enjoy the next chapter and hope that Gil and Jason keep hitting the right cords and keeping interest alive. I am ecstatic. :):):)
Last edited by philmorgan81 on June 9th, 2022, 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
*NormalGamer* liked this
WCat2000 wrote: June 9th, 2022, 1:22 am I’m open to any new ideas but really wanted the Spengler family to continue with the business.

I know McKenna Grace posted a clip of her driving the Ecto-1 talking about a drivers test. They could have a scene where Phoebe learns to drive.
It'll be hilarious if she gets her license before Trevor
jonogunn wrote: June 9th, 2022, 5:58 am For those who have been around this forum for a long time has it ever been this exciting?
Hell naw.

If we roll the clock back to about 1999-2007, the most excitement was spotting a t shirt in Hot Topic, a reference in an Alien Ant Farm music video..and dvd re-prints. Thats a bout it…oh yeah, that 88mph comic series in 2001 that fizzled away quick (never found a copy myself, and didnt they rip people off ?)

Fan films were all the rage back then so it was cool seeing and downloading those. (But thats fan stuff, things to keep ourselves busy, nothing “official” ) it was also cool to d/l “fan made” games too. I remember a redux of the computer games and a Doom Mod.

1998-2007 was kind of a wild west wasteland for the fandom. (In a weird way i miss it because it was pretty “underground/cult” from a certain angle, had to do archaeological type research to find information or some old merch)

We would have GB3 rumors spike every 2 years or so within that time, mostly from Dan.

Things started to finally pick up in around late 07-2008, when we had news of The Video Game as well as the Timelife RGB box set.
Last edited by BatDan on June 9th, 2022, 6:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
jonogunn, deadderek, Corey91 and 4 others liked this
jonogunn wrote: June 9th, 2022, 5:58 am For those who have been around this forum for a long time has it ever been this exciting?
Nope. There was a little bit of excitement on September 4th, 2008 when Sony announced Lee and Stupnitsky as the GB3 writers.

That excitement vanished little by little as the months passed by without significative development and a whole lot of setbacks.
jonogunn, BatDan, deadderek and 1 others liked this
Davideverona wrote:
Nope. There was a little bit of excitement on September 4th, 2008 when Sony announced Lee and Stupnitsky as the GB3 writers.

That excitement vanished little by little as the months passed by without significative development and a whole lot of setbacks.
I seem to recall quite a bit of hype on these forums leading up to the release of Ghostbusters: The Video Game.

As for the announcements:

1. New animated series - I'm psyched.
2. New animated movie - if this is from the POV of a ghost as rumored in the past, then I'm less enthused.
3. New Dark Horse Comic - I'm psyched. It's canon, so I'm curious to see what it's about. I suppose that means all of the IDW stuff is its own separate universe then. Kind of a bummer since they did such a good job with it.
4. New film codename "Firehouse" - I am guardedly optimistic. I was kind of hoping that this new film was going to be a Winston story. And then another one being a Ray story. The first two can serve as the Venkman story since he has that romance with Dana.
Excited about all the news. Disappointed about losing the IDW creative team, but maybe Ghost Corps can get them on the payroll some how. I had begun saying the creative tandem teams in GB lore were Aykroyd & Ramis, Medjuck & Gross, Burnham & Schoening. I suppose I should add Reitman & Kenan to that roster now!
*NormalGamer*, Kingpin liked this
JonXCTrack wrote: June 9th, 2022, 8:33 am
Davideverona wrote:

I seem to recall quite a bit of hype on these forums leading up to the release of Ghostbusters: The Video Game.

As for the announcements:

1. New animated series - I'm psyched.
2. New animated movie - if this is from the POV of a ghost as rumored in the past, then I'm less enthused.
3. New Dark Horse Comic - I'm psyched. It's canon, so I'm curious to see what it's about. I suppose that means all of the IDW stuff is its own separate universe then. Kind of a bummer since they did such a good job with it.
4. New film codename "Firehouse" - I am guardedly optimistic. I was kind of hoping that this new film was going to be a Winston story. And then another one being a Ray story. The first two can serve as the Venkman story since he has that romance with Dana.
@ *referring to bold*

IDW GB has always been it's own separate thing and that's fine with me. I wish Dark Horse luck in creating in-canon stories as long as they're written well.
BatDan wrote: June 8th, 2022, 10:02 pm So ontop of getting a new animated series and comic

Were getting 2 new movies!

Animated film

&

Ghostbusters Firehouse (Gb4)

Holy mackerel…

..what about my new Ghostbusters socks and Blue lunchbox though?
I think they're basically doing the Star Wars model:

One movie after a massive silence that had a mixed reception (Answer the Call)

Regroup, put more thought in, some out with a movie that's really liked with callbacks to the old movies (Afterlife)

Merchandisable characters (Muncher, the 4 kids, ghost Egon etc.) as well as other toys (Neutrona wand, car, haslab proton pack)

The next step would be to name a film after an easily merchandisable toy and/or have it feature in some way.... hmm... Firehouse?

I can't claim that people have been asking for anything different to this.

Are they just newspaper clippings or something? […]

Patch 1.8.0/DLC 5 added two more -Bitter Cold: […]

If you check the post below from reddit, one of […]

got a link? It appears that some time today[…]