halliwax wrote: November 23rd, 2021, 8:08 pm i was up late last night trying to figure out how to make this connector work with the spongeface electronics kit..
At some point, I will start a build thread for my Afterlife pack; I want to get a little further with it. I plan on making my own electronics. I've been working on the pack electronics in my spare time. I hope to work on them more this winter since it is getting to cold to work in my garage workshop. Here's a tease so far for what I have for the pack lights. . .

I plan on my making my pack internals as accurate as possible to the Hero Phoebe pack from the film. Like I said, I'll post more in a build thread when I get that far.

In regards to hooking up Spongeface electronics; as long as you only need to connect Positive and Ground to the kit for it to work, then you should be able to use the Neutrik connectors with the Spongeface electronics.
bahumit12, tobycj, Jimsy33 and 3 others liked this
Apologies if this in is not the correct place to post this, but that is something i was trying to figure out as there are 4 wires that run from the Spongeface Spirit Link to the Spongeface light kit, plus the audio jack to the Spongeface sound kit. If someone has an idea on how to accomplish that, creating a thread for that and linking it here would be awesome.

Otherwise, i was gonna try to figure out if i could drill out portions of both Neutrik connectors to run the wiring through it. LOL!
halliwax wrote: November 22nd, 2021, 8:37 pm there was some great shots of it on screen. anyone know where i can purchase the new heat sink?
Prop-forge on eBay has some.
bahumit12 liked this
By gerv
This post may contain an affiliate link that helps support GBFans.com when you make a purchase at no additional cost to you.

mburkit wrote: October 7th, 2021, 9:03 am
c.fago wrote: October 6th, 2021, 6:33 pm

Yes, after researching, I too think they used this kind of car led bulbs. I found it on Amazon.it from a company called Lumenex:

https://www.amazon.it/dp/B0899X2PQH/ref ... UTF8&psc=1

It seems they wrapped the lamp with some thick milky white heat shrink tubing in order to increase the diameter and lock it into the barrel, as these bulbs measure 15 mm while the internal diameter of the barrel should measure 16 mm.
Yeah, I ordered what I think are the correct bulbs yesterday on Amazon. They should show up tomorrow. I wanted to confirm that they were right before posting about them. We'll see!

While i get you're trying to make it screen accurate, do you not think that makes the wand basically an oversized flash light?
Sorry I can't understand your question, are you referring to the high light output of these led lamps? However, consider that even the original ‘84 throwers used much more powerful, although disposable, flashbulbs. Also, I think it would be truly disrespectful to reduce one of the most complex props in the movie history to a simple flash light considering only this mere practical feature, which is nevertheless present and therefore deserves to be studied and replicated as much as all the other features.

Or maybe you are referring to the fact that these led lamps are easily recognizable as such, unlike the flash bulbs of the original throwers? If this is the case, you are not considering that in the 80s even these flashes were equally, if not more, recognizable as they were widely used at the time. What was hiding them was simply the low graphic resolution available and the non-existence of this great site and forum!
gerv wrote: November 26th, 2021, 8:11 am Referring more to them being just white lights vs some of the other options for multiple colours of light.
The bulb at the end of the acrylic tube (the car light in this case) is just to create a really bright flash effect for a split second. You can then put a white or multi-coloured strobe inside the barrel to suggest the proton stream while firing.
By c.fago
EctoLabs wrote:The bulb at the end of the acrylic tube (the car light in this case) is just to create a really bright flash effect for a split second. You can then put a white or multi-coloured strobe inside the barrel to suggest the proton stream while firing.
Closely related to Afterlife props, this is not exactly correct as the bulb at the end of the acrylic tube now works together with the one inside the barrel for the entire duration of the fire, as seen in the Tested on set video where Savage inspects the movie props.
By gerv
c.fago wrote: November 26th, 2021, 9:36 am In short it's just a bonus feature for reference purposes to help the FX technicians and at the same time to give some real feedback to the actors. Almost all of the sci-fi props emit neither sounds nor lights.
That much is obvious, the wand in the movie did have a rumble function for added feedback.
mburkit wrote: November 24th, 2021, 11:26 am
halliwax wrote: November 23rd, 2021, 8:08 pm i was up late last night trying to figure out how to make this connector work with the spongeface electronics kit..
At some point, I will start a build thread for my Afterlife pack; I want to get a little further with it. I plan on making my own electronics. I've been working on the pack electronics in my spare time. I hope to work on them more this winter since it is getting to cold to work in my garage workshop. Here's a tease so far for what I have for the pack lights. . .

I plan on my making my pack internals as accurate as possible to the Hero Phoebe pack from the film. Like I said, I'll post more in a build thread when I get that far.

In regards to hooking up Spongeface electronics; as long as you only need to connect Positive and Ground to the kit for it to work, then you should be able to use the Neutrik connectors with the Spongeface electronics.
Per usual, your build posts are incredibly valuable! I just started working through how to go about the cyclotron motor effect, and would love to get more details as you develop this. Thanks again!
mburkit liked this
I wanted to update the photos I have of the red switch that goes into the ion arm for people to see the modified switch all cleaned up beyond my initial photo in the beginning of this thread.

I am also closing in on the part of my afterlife build where I need to cut a hole in the ion arm and fit this thing into it. Needless to say, I need to cut this switch's body down more to fit. I know its possible because they were able to do it for the film props.

And lastly, I started working on my heatsink for the side of the pack, so I wanted to show a photo of what that looks like with the brass and copper rod on it. It also has a cut up ST L7805CV 5v voltage regulator on it.

This photo is pre-gluing of it all together.

Looks wicked man !!
halliwax wrote: November 28th, 2021, 6:58 pm Silly question and not the right place to ask, but this thread has great activity

Who is a reliable source for aluminum throwers today? Seems like everyone one I have reached out to hasn’t returned a single message..
Right now, the only 2 people I know that make metal throwers are CPU64 and Umoribawar (Freekygeeky). Both have enormous wait lists. It should be noted that Freekygeeky made the throwers for the Afterlife hero packs.
halliwax wrote: November 28th, 2021, 6:58 pm Silly question and not the right place to ask, but this thread has great activity

Who is a reliable source for aluminum throwers today? Seems like everyone one I have reached out to hasn’t returned a single message..
Heimdalls Armory on Facebook just closed out sign up for a run. He'll probably be doing another in the new year by the sounds of it. It's his first run, so no idea on quality yet. Price was pretty reasonable though.
By gerv

Macks factory initially looked promising but they seem to totally ignore emails and as far as im aware haven't had a single thrower body for sale as yet. 99% of the stuff on their site has been listed as "coming soon" for around a year now. :(

Heavy props do aluminium throwers, though they are pricey. Its the entire body, all the bits and pieces pop mech etc, just needs painted and electronic kit installed, light lenses and the clippard. Was tempted by one but finding it hard to go for it. Though they are good looking even in their unfinished state.

Considering finally setting up my 3d printer and making one that way first, been saying that for about a year now. :oops:
Last edited by gerv on November 29th, 2021, 8:00 am, edited 4 times in total.
One time liked this
By gerv

Would you be linking the cyclotron motor to the intensify knob on the thrower to change the speed? Seems the obvious choice :)
Thanks for the thrower reply’s and sorry to derail the thread

I got a aluminum thrower from
Freakygeeky back in 2011, amazing piece

Unfortunately I reached out to both cpu64 and freakygeeky and haven’t heard back at all.. it’s been months and a few messages and emails.

Hoping to get another aluminum thrower for this Spengler tribute pack
mburkit liked this
halliwax wrote: November 29th, 2021, 4:10 pm Thanks for the thrower reply’s and sorry to derail the thread

Unfortunately I reached out to both cpu64 and freakygeeky and haven’t heard back at all.. it’s been months and a few messages and emails.

Freakygeeky responses if you message him on FB. CPU64 is also on Facebook, but it's his personal page; if you look at his for sale thread in the forums, you can figure out what his real name is, and can look him up on FB took. I've had discussions with both of them via FB messenger. They still have a serious wait list though.

Heavy Props is another story. I recently purchased some stuff from him on Ebay and he communicated with me via Ebay's messaging system; but I have had a tough time reaching him from other means in the past (FB and email).
halliwax liked this
mburkit wrote: November 29th, 2021, 5:12 pm
halliwax wrote: November 29th, 2021, 4:10 pm Thanks for the thrower reply’s and sorry to derail the thread

Freakygeeky responses if you message him on FB. CPU64 is also on Facebook, but it's his personal page; if you look at his for sale thread in the forums, you can figure out what his real name is, and can look him up on FB took. I've had discussions with both of them via FB messenger. They still have a serious wait list though.

Heavy Props is another story. I recently purchased some stuff from him on Ebay and he communicated with me via Ebay's messaging system; but I have had a tough time reaching him from other means in the past (FB and email).
Thanks, I freakn hate Facebook. I should look up “freakygeeky” exactly? I really don’t mind waiting. I waited 11 months for my biggie shell from Vinnie back in 2011. I got lucky with freakys thrower, it was his personal one and needed money to fund a project so I grabbed it at the time

Really appreciate the responses!

I was able to get a cannon hose connector in the mail today, anyone plan on doing casting for the accurate part? Or maybe even a 3d resin print?

Slowly gathering all the upgrade parts. At first it was overwhelming , but after reading your posts a few times I got the concept

Really appreciate you taking the time and not just helping me, but explaining all the new parts and part numbers. Makes finding them and understanding so much easier
halliwax wrote: November 29th, 2021, 7:44 pm Thanks, I freakin hate Facebook. I should look up “freakygeeky” exactly?
https://www.facebook.com/FreekytotheGeeky

There's the link to his facebook page. I've had the most luck contacting him there.

Beyond that, I wanted to share another part ID of sorts. The ALICE Frame padding.

The inner layer I have here is the Black ALICE frame padding that GBFans sells in the shop here: https://www.gbfans.com/shop/pack-parts/ ... e-padding/

I then wrapped that padding in 6mm Neoprene rubber sheet with black fabric material. This is the same stuff they make scuba suits out of. I had to find 6mm thick stuff on Ebay and it came from China. Maybe someone can find a better source for it.
RedSpecial, halliwax, djsparky and 1 others liked this
jonogunn wrote: November 30th, 2021, 10:55 am What did you use for the cyclotron lens to look like the afterlife pack?
They should be red acrylic like a GB1 or GB2 pack; but there is black and silver overspray on them from when the pack was weathered.
halliwax liked this
mburkit wrote: November 30th, 2021, 11:21 am
jonogunn wrote: November 30th, 2021, 10:55 am What did you use for the cyclotron lens to look like the afterlife pack?
They should be red acrylic like a GB1 or GB2 pack; but there is black and silver overspray on them from when the pack was weathered.
So you use a spray can and lightly spray over them?
mburkit wrote: November 28th, 2021, 10:32 am I wanted to update the photos I have of the red switch that goes into the ion arm for people to see the modified switch all cleaned up beyond my initial photo in the beginning of this thread.

I am also closing in on the part of my afterlife build where I need to cut a hole in the ion arm and fit this thing into it. Needless to say, I need to cut this switch's body down more to fit. I know its possible because they were able to do it for the film props.

And lastly, I started working on my heatsink for the side of the pack, so I wanted to show a photo of what that looks like with the brass and copper rod on it. It also has a cut up ST L7805CV 5v voltage regulator on it.

This photo is pre-gluing of it all together.

That's a beaut.

What gauge is that tubing, because that's fantastic.
mburkit wrote: November 30th, 2021, 6:15 am
halliwax wrote: November 29th, 2021, 7:44 pm Thanks, I freakin hate Facebook. I should look up “freakygeeky” exactly?
https://www.facebook.com/FreekytotheGeeky

There's the link to his facebook page. I've had the most luck contacting him there.

Beyond that, I wanted to share another part ID of sorts. The ALICE Frame padding.

The inner layer I have here is the Black ALICE frame padding that GBFans sells in the shop here: https://www.gbfans.com/shop/pack-parts/ ... e-padding/

I then wrapped that padding in 6mm Neoprene rubber sheet with black fabric material. This is the same stuff they make scuba suits out of. I had to find 6mm thick stuff on Ebay and it came from China. Maybe someone can find a better source for it.
The best padding I found was Pool Noodles, painted black and with Gorilla tape on it to black it out. It's not original, but it makes the pack unbelievably comfortable.
I wanted to share more reference of the switch that goes in the ion arm. I did a large bulk of the installation of this switch in the pack I'm building today, so I figured I'd share what that looks like.

First of all, I wanted to show how far you can cut the switch body down with it still being functional.

Note: I did end up sanding down the 2 ridges on the sides of top face of the switch so the switch could poke further through the hole in the ion arm. Sadly I did not take photos of that. Anyway, here it is installed in an ion arm.

It still needs the mounting plate over it, which I hope to finish fabricating tomorrow. I'll probably share a photo of that when it is done.
tobycj, Kingpin, Jimsy33 and 1 others liked this

Someone ID'd them on Facebook first, there w[…]

Two specific ideas I have are basically holiday sp[…]

While waiting impatiently for Frozen Empire to rel[…]

Make it that pack, sell it for $599. (While I […]