I recently made some progress on my Afterlife pack build and I figured I'd post it here so people can see how the parts that were identified in this thread look when installed on a pack. The pack half of the build is done; I am just wrapping up the wand now.

And last but not least, a comparison photo:

And just for fun, here's a video of the electronics in the pack.

Eventually when I finish up the wand, I'll post more wand specific photos and probably a video.
Kingpin, One time, Jimsy33 and 3 others liked this
That looks awesome! I can’t believe how close it is. The weathering is like a copy. Just a few questions:

Where did you get the front grip for the thrower? Or the measurements?

Also whats the reason you went for a black wire on the upper left side as opposed to blue, and adding the gold nut on the ion arm? I may have missed some detail in a specific scene,
One time wrote: July 5th, 2022, 9:26 am That looks awesome! I can’t believe how close it is. The weathering is like a copy. Just a few questions:

Where did you get the front grip for the thrower? Or the measurements?

Also whats the reason you went for a black wire on the upper left side as opposed to blue, and adding the gold nut on the ion arm? I may have missed some detail in a specific scene,
My front grip is a shotgun grip that I cut down and modified to replicate the ones on the Phoebe packs. Here is a link to my post about the grip: Grip Post Link

As far as the "black wire," it actually is a blue vinyl pneumatic hosing, but the final stage of my weathering was hitting the pack with flat black paint over spray. And for some reason, my blue hosing soaked that paint up. Most of my other hosing was able remove the paint with mild sanding, but the blue stuff just absorbed. In person, you can see the blue too, but I admit that in my photos, it just looks black.

Lastly, the reason I still have nut on the resistor on the ion arm is because the Afterlife packs still had them too. Here's a shot of the Phoebe Hero Pack #2 that was shared by Tested.com.

One time liked this
Looks absolutely awesome. I think it's the best I've ever seen. I love all of it, but what I like most is the finish. I think a lot of packs I see don't get the finish quite right, even though all the parts may be perfect.

Yours has that matte black spray or mist effect all over the pack which is present on the real one done by ISS. That gives the immediate overall accurate look.

ISS are very good at layered drybrushing. Which is basically -not- a base color and dry brushed wear highlights.

But it's more, passes of drybrushing with varying mix of paint and varying pressure on the brush.

Something along the lines of:

Pass 1: mix of 70% base color - 30% highlight - Heavy pressure
Pass 2: mix of 30% base color - 70% highlight - Medium pressure
Pass 3: almost pure highlight - Light pressure

Or even more passes.

You can see this on the periphery of the cyclotron on the screen used one.

In other places, where there are chips, it could be as simple as a silver sharpie (screen used trap) but I think that on closeup never looks as good as at least some mix layering.
One time wrote: July 7th, 2022, 5:01 pm Looks absolutely awesome. I think it's the best I've ever seen. I love all of it, but what I like most is the finish. I think a lot of packs I see don't get the finish quite right, even though all the parts may be perfect.

Yours has that matte black spray or mist effect all over the pack which is present on the real one done by ISS. That gives the immediate overall accurate look.

ISS are very good at layered drybrushing. Which is basically -not- a base color and dry brushed wear highlights.

But it's more, passes of drybrushing with varying mix of paint and varying pressure on the brush.

Something along the lines of:

Pass 1: mix of 70% base color - 30% highlight - Heavy pressure
Pass 2: mix of 30% base color - 70% highlight - Medium pressure
Pass 3: almost pure highlight - Light pressure

Or even more passes.

You can see this on the periphery of the cyclotron on the screen used one.

In other places, where there are chips, it could be as simple as a silver sharpie (screen used trap) but I think that on closeup never looks as good as at least some mix layering.
Thank you for the compliment! This paint job was a pain in the ass. With that said, I did make some small changes to my pack, including taking the time to clean up that blue hose from the PPD to the ion arm. I also retwisted my ribbon cable a little tighter and trimmed down the ribbon cable clamp on the cyclotron.

twmedford23 liked this
tobycj wrote: July 13th, 2022, 5:44 am It looks like the screen used pack may have a slightly larger p-clamp when you compare where it comes up to on the booster ladder, unless it's the angle the two pics were taken at?
Yeah, I noticed that too. I am in the process of finding one that is more accurate.
tobycj liked this
Welp, I finished my pack up. I wanted to post video and some photos of what a pack can look like if you use the identified accurate to the film parts.

Video first:

The electronics are all custom made by me. I do not plan on selling them as these are just one off's.

Exterior

Interior

Good luck building everyone!
jonogunn, tobycj, Jimsy33 and 6 others liked this
By Mikem
This post may contain an affiliate link that helps support GBFans.com when you make a purchase at no additional cost to you.

mburkit wrote: January 1st, 2022, 3:51 pm Today, I want to make 2 posts. The first post will be to show a little about how the electronics in the hero pack worked. Please note that I do not plan on putting the RC controlled setting into my pack, so that will not be seen in my build photos.

The pack lights consist of 2 different parts: the cyclotron and the powercell.

The Powercell is pretty simple, so I'll get that out of the way first. It appears the Powercell was a strip of Neopixels and an Adafruit ItsyBitsy 3v 8MHz , or some other 3v version of an arduino pro micro. The powercell gets a 3.7v power from the battery bank of RCR123a batteries. I will explain the battery bank a little later.

The Cyclotron is the more interesting part of the pack lights, as we got spiny lights!

In actuality, it is not that difficult either from an electronic stand point. All you have to do is apply power to the motor and it spins. The only other aspect of it is that there is a DC Motor speed controller to adjust the speed at which the cyclotron spins, which I will talk about later.

The difficult part is the amount of scratch building of the light fixture and the disc that everything is mounted to. The gears are all gt2 gears for a 6mm belt. The motor I am using is a 1000rpm motor I got off Amazon. The light fixture is mounted on top of a slip ring. The light fixture itself is constructed from a ba15i bayonet socket with a counter weight mounted to the bracket. I ended up using a 1/8 NPT Threaded Male Adapter Nipple Fitting for the counter weight.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/B-K-1-8-in-Thr ... 1000505785

The speed of the the cycltron is controlled by a Gebildet Mini DC Motor Controller, found here:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YDGSFPG?ps ... ct_details

The last bit of the electronics would be the battery bank. Judging from image of the inside of the pack from the Tested video of Adam Savage touring the prop trailer, the battery bank appears to be a scratch built bank of RCR123a battery holders wired to achieve 14.8vdc (for the cyclotron and wand lights) as well as 3.7vdc (for the powercell).

The battery bank is accessed through a panel on the motherboard.
I am assuming this is so the batteries can be removed for recharging. You can also reach the knob for the DC motor speed controller, to fine tune the speed of the cyclotron.

When all brought together, we get electronics that function like this:
How do you keep the wires from tangling?
RedSpecial liked this
One time wrote: January 3rd, 2023, 5:57 pm Hah! Thanks. It looked like the Hasbro wand introduction video so it looked familiar 🤣
I ended up checking both the HasLab reveals and the Afterlife featurettes because of the setup but drew blanks... Fortunately Google's Image Search came to the rescue as I'd forgotten about the photoshoot.
One time liked this
I noticed that Mburkit had these on his shell. I hadnt seen anyone really talk about them. Rivnuts were used in the L-brackets were used on the screen used Phoebe pack, and can be seen in the Adam Savage props tour video.

I had used the older method for my 84 pack, and after using rivnuts on my Phoebe build, it is a game changer for me.

Mburkit, your pack is amazing, could you please state the diameter of the rod used to modify your ion arm switch?

Thanks
tobycj, mburkit liked this
I used a 1/4" OD rod of plastic.
giric thren wrote: January 7th, 2023, 12:37 am I noticed that Mburkit had these on his shell. I hadnt seen anyone really talk about them. Rivnuts were used in the L-brackets were used on the screen used Phoebe pack, and can be seen in the Adam Savage props tour video.

I had used the older method for my 84 pack, and after using rivnuts on my Phoebe build, it is a game changer for me.

Mburkit, your pack is amazing, could you please state the diameter of the rod used to modify your ion arm switch?

Thanks
giric thren liked this
Hey Everyone!

I've started putting together a collated spreadsheet with references, part names and links.

This started as a Haslab Pack resource, but it has a lot of info on screen-accurate gear (including several links to this thread!)

Still a work in progress, but I'll be continuing to update it throughout the week, and possibly grant some permissions to community legends (of which I am not, but 20+ year spectator) to ensure accuracy.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
Jimsy33, GBKid1984 liked this
Charlesworth Dynamics Trap Build

Hi All, The Trap is coming on, I've nearly finish[…]

I found a cool tube at Ollies discount outlet, and[…]

Finally got my copy today - It's not the worst I'v[…]

I don't remember exactly, But I think I've had pr[…]