Discuss the Ghostbusters movie that was released in 2016.
About the only solid takeaway I can recall from the film is Leslie Jones. She had some cringe-worthy, absolutely atrocious dialog a few times, but she was the only lead trying to play a character and not just doing wacky improv for 2 hours. Maybe my expectations were so low as I figured she would just be a racist caricature, but beyond a few of her terribly written moments, she was actually acting.
LeChuck liked this
Glenn Frederick wrote:I really liked the score by Theodore Shapiro!
See that's something that I really felt was really poorly done. I can't recall a single motif from the score. There were a couple decent atmospheric bits and bobs but nothing really stood out to me.

I've mentioned this in the past but I was really letdown with the behind the scenes artistry on GB 16, from production design, music, cinematography and VFX. Maybe it wouldn't bug me so much if the original two films hadn't had such a deep roster of talent behind the scenes. We got spoiled. This movie looked and felt like a million other movies.
pferreira1983 liked this
usmcsgt2683 wrote:I did not. The whole thing to me seemed rushed. Honestly Holtzman saved it for me.
Be that as it may, I believe it wasn't the OP's intent for this topic to be yet another soap box for people who didn't enjoy the film to gloat that it didn't perform very well.
JurorNo.2 liked this
One thing I haven't mentioned yet that I liked was that at times it felt like Reitman's directorial style had influenced a couple of the scenes.
RichardLess wrote:I can't recall a single motif from the score. There were a couple decent atmospheric bits and bobs but nothing really stood out to me.
No leitmotifs come to mind, but there was a nice acoustic guitar riff that they played a couple of times.
One thing I liked about the movie, let's see...erm...that's a difficult one...hmmm...well it was good to have the franchise back in full force I guess. Erm...hmmm...oh hang on, wait a second! I did like the short sequence where the logo ghost was 2D animated. I wasn't expecting that in a good way but that's it. :)
Jetstange, JurorNo.2, SpaceBallz and 2 others liked this
I'll give you one better I'll name you three things I liked about it

1. Holtzman
(reason) Because she would mostly the best thing in the whole damn movie in my opinion hell they could've made the whole movie based on her and It might've been good.
2. The Equipment
(Reason) I loved everything when it came to the equipment.... the woodchipper, the WIP proton cannon, proton grenades, proton knuckle duster, Etc Everything (Besides the car and another thing why I liked Holtzman is that she had the same idea of a proton shotgun which really sealed the deal with me liking her)

3. their first headquarters
I liked the wonton place that was another opening to be original heck i wouldn't even be made if there first car was a wonton truck.
RichardLess wrote:I've mentioned this in the past but I was really letdown with the behind the scenes artistry on GB 16, from production design, music, cinematography and VFX. Maybe it wouldn't bug me so much if the original two films hadn't had such a deep roster of talent behind the scenes. We got spoiled. This movie looked and felt like a million other movies.
Couldn't agree more. It looked like Pixels.
Kingpin wrote:I've not read anything explaining the change. The only reason I even know it was changed as the funko figure bears the old name.
Weird. Ok thanks. :)
LeChuck liked this
Things I liked:

Holtzmann

The look of the new Proton Packs(and the thoughts of the science behind them)

That the characters look like real women and not like supermodels

But sadly those things are not enough to make it a good movie, because the bad things outweight the good by far!
I still haven't seen this movie. When the details of the plot were leaked long before the movie's premier, I was completely turned off by it. And the trailer confirmed my fears. #notmyghostbusters

Considering the parody-like nature of this "reboot," I would've been much more receptive if Sony had named it Ghost Smashers, as an homage to Dan Aykroyd's original premise, rather than calling it Ghostbusters. It needn't involve space travel and such. I'm sure IDW would've allowed Sony to use their GS logo and other material for inspiration. If they had done this, I would've gladly paid money to see it in theaters and likely embraced it as a surrogate sequel/reboot rather than an irreverent, slapstick clusterfu*k masquerading as Ghostbusters. The cameos of the original cast would've been a welcomed tribute to GB with no explanation necessary, instead of this bizarre alternate reality where Slimer and Zuul still exist as themselves, yet the original cast members have been shoehorned into awkward roles having no apparent significance or relation to the universe we know and love.
Kylie Griffin wrote:I still haven't seen this movie. When the details of the plot were leaked long before the movie's premier, I was completely turned off by it. And the trailer confirmed my fears. #notmyghostbusters

Considering the parody-like nature of this "reboot," I would've been much more receptive if Sony had named it Ghost Smashers, as an homage to Dan Aykroyd's original premise, rather than calling it Ghostbusters. It needn't involve space travel and such. I'm sure IDW would've allowed Sony to use their GS logo and other material for inspiration. If they had done this, I would've gladly paid money to see it in theaters and likely embraced it as a surrogate sequel/reboot rather than an irreverent, slapstick clusterfu*k masquerading as Ghostbusters. The cameos of the original cast would've been a welcomed tribute to GB with no explanation necessary, instead of this bizarre alternate reality where Slimer and Zuul still exist as themselves, yet the original cast members have been shoehorned into awkward roles having no apparent significance or relation to the universe we know and love.
Sorry Kylie, this thread is about things you liked about the movie. If you haven't even seen it, you don't have a reason to post here. There are more than enough other threads in this forum to say what you didn't like, but this one is solely for things you liked. I didn't really like the movie very much, but even I found things about it that I liked.

Found some new things I liked, after watching the BluRay yesterday:

More than half of the extended scenes make the movie better. The rest should have stayed on the cutting room floor!

The german synchro makes me like the characters more than the original.

A lot of the alternate takes from the extras would've made the movie worse and I like that they weren't used!
JurorNo.2, RichardLess, Alphagaia and 1 others liked this
Skyknight wrote:Sorry Kylie, this thread is about things you liked about the movie. If you haven't even seen it, you don't have a reason to post here. There are more than enough other threads in this forum to say what you didn't like, but this one is solely for things you liked. I didn't really like the movie very much, but even I found things about it that I liked.
Seconded.

Please stick to what the OP requested with the topic, highlighting the bits you enjoyed even if you didn't enjoy the whole. Posts that are just posted in this thread solely to trash the film will be deleted.
Alphagaia, RichardLess liked this
One thing I dont think Ive seen given much praise is the subway ghost. I thought he was awesome. The makeup and lighting and the way he moved and the way he twisted his head around when Patty first sees him was genuinely scary. I also enjoyed seeing in the special features the practical way that he was created. Definitely one of the best ever GB ghosts. I really wished we saw more of him.
featofstrength wrote: Of course, we just HAD to abandon that to end up at the firehouse.
And if they hadn't, fans would whine that the restaurant was too different. ;)
JurorNo.2 wrote:
featofstrength wrote: Of course, we just HAD to abandon that to end up at the firehouse.
And if they hadn't, fans would whine that the restaurant was too different. ;)
Not this fan, I would have LOVED to see a new team set up shop in a city other than New York. For what it's worth, my opinion is that Ghostbusters in New York is played out, throughout the lifespan of GB, through the films, cartoon and comics we've seen near enough every possible story thread pertaining to New York. One of the original things that got me excited during production was hearing they were filming in Boston, I honestly thought they were going to focus the whole film in that city. A real pity that they didn't, and that New York didn't feel like a true backdrop to the film, ah well.

Another thing that I really did appreciate from the new film though quite a bit hit the cutting room floor, the use of actors and actresses as the ghosts. Granted there was a fair amount of visual enhancement to them from what was filmed but great to know practical effects and true performance was actually involved.
featofstrength liked this
I actually like the film and I think it was criticised for a lot of things that it isn't i.e. the much maligned "Girl Power" agenda isn't there at all and most of the characters (male and female) are the butt of the joke at some point in the film and they all get a chance to score points off each other as well. When I first saw the cast list for the film, I thought "Kevin the receptionist??? What have they done to my film???" but they've handled the gender balance really well.

Here are a few of my favourite LOL moments from the film:
- when Rowan is standing in front of the mirror being all vain and narcissistic and his boss radios him and tells him to unblock the toilets
- when Slimer joyrides Ecto 1 and comes back with his mates in the back and his girl beside him
- when they get the idea for the GB logo from the graffiti artist giving Patty attitude
JurorNo.2, Sav C liked this

I don't remember exactly, But I think I've had pr[…]

Someone ID'd them on Facebook first, there w[…]

Two specific ideas I have are basically holiday sp[…]

While waiting impatiently for Frozen Empire to rel[…]