By Donkey8012
By "Hollywood" standards, it was obviously sub-par. It's hard to make up for the lack of funds that a big-budget studio can pump into a project. However, it is most certainly the best fan-film I've ever seen. I'm glad they didn't rush this project, but took their time with all of the special effects shots and such. It paid off in the end. If this is Hank Braxtan's last film, he definitely went out with a bang.
By Boomerjinks
I think it is one of the best movies made by unpaid people I've ever seen. Please understand EVERYTHING that statement means.

Also... I'm in it twice :)
By RoboBusterX19
After my second viewing of this film i can honestly say that this film bombed.
The problems i have with it are as follows.the story seemed rushed and confused.the acting
wasn't believable.the parts that should be funny aren't.the visual effects for the ghosts was a joke.
the ecto car and containment unit didn't seem something that ((real)) ghostbusters would drive or use.
the dialog is repetitive and annoying and makes you want to fast forward to the ending.
i have nothing against the people who made this film.nor am i critical for such a reason
just expressing my honest thoughts about the film.
By keoni
i thought it was great for a fan film.
RoboBusterX19 wrote: After my second viewing of this film i can honestly say that this film bombed.
The problems i have with it are as follows.the story seemed rushed and confused.the acting
wasn't believable.the parts that should be funny aren't.the visual effects for the ghosts was a joke.
the ecto car and containment unit didn't seem something that ((real)) ghostbusters would drive or use.
the dialog is repetitive and annoying and makes you want to fast forward to the ending.
i have nothing against the people who made this film.nor am i critical for such a reason
just expressing my honest thoughts about the film.

by all means, please produce a better one
By RoboBusterX19
To make a successful entertaining movie takes 2 things
good story,good believable acting.Its not rocket science
I'm not a conformist im not gonna say somethings good if its not
just to please people or to gain popularity.I would rather be honest then
lie.Ive noticed some people here go with everything aj says seeing him as
a king of some sort wow he makes props hes must be jesus!.im sure glad im
not one of Aj's butt kissers.Unlike those who follow him.
By keoni
so just because i like it, and so does aj, that makes me a butt kisser? ya know, you are right about somethings. the acting needs some work and the dialogue lacked a bit some times. but damn, this is a fan film; it wasnt done by professionals. so yeah, i still think it was great for being a fan film
By abritinthebay
For a fan film.... it's pretty decent.

The Star Wars fan community has been pushing stuff out like this for years, so in terms of all fan films.. it's a pretty solid effort - though not fantastic.

For Ghostbusters tho - this is a watershed movie. The one that showed that people still care enough to put this amount of effort into a fan film.

However - the acting is AWFUL, though with a few exceptions. The script is pretty poor too, though that's normal for a fan film. Direction is ok, but the pacing is pretty off. Effects are sometimes great, sometimes really off-putting. Again, compared to what is out there... good, but not top notch.

Overall though - a solid effort. And notable for it's length too - most fan films are much shorter.
By gbmatt
i hate dialup!!!....it took 4 hours to load 18 freakin minutes of the film......i gave up after 4 in the morning...about this time now it would finally be about halfway finished....what i did see i liked....
By Boomerjinks
RoboBusterX19 wrote: the story seemed rushed and confused.the acting
the ecto car and containment unit didn't seem something that ((real)) ghostbusters would drive or use

This just proves that you are an idiot.

Also, AJ is gay. Gaaaaay.
By Master Taran
You know, it is interesting to me that some of the things that people are complaining about are the same things that others are praising. Some people are saying that the acting is terrible; there have been plenty of other people who thought it was good. Some people don't like the CG ghosts, others have said that they look awesome. Some people say that pacing is all off, and I've heard others say they were impressed by the pacing.

This is an odd phenomenon that I've found happens to [i]every[/i] movie (Hollywood or fan-made). Some people will complain about some aspect of a production, and others will praise the very same aspect.

I guess the moral here is "to each his own," eh?

Myself, I loved it. I think it's a great film, period. Trust me, there have been plenty of Hollywood movies far worse than this. And no, I don't refer to the PT of Star Wars; I'm one of the few who liked them (mostly; not as good as the originals, but not terrible either IMO).

Do I think it's the best film ever? No; saying that would be patronizing, and just plain dumb. Is it the best [i]fan[/i] film ever? IMO, it very well might be, for me anyway. Definately the best Ghostbusters fan film ever made (I think few could argue otherwise on that point).

So, if you don't like it, then more power to you. There's nothing that says that you have to like it, or that you're not entitled to your opinion. I just hope people keep the critcisms constructive and not negative, whiny complaints & nitpicking over every single thing (no need for venom when you didn't even have to pay anything). I dure hope no one tries to disuade people from seeing it or over-react. I hate it when people say crap like, "DONT WATCH THIS MOVIE! IT IS A COMPLETE WASTE OF TIME!" or "THAT WAS THE DUMBEST MOVIE EVER! I WANT THAT 84 MINUTES OF MY LIFE BACK!" I know it's obnoxious that I wrote those examples in all caps, but that's because I think reactions like that are obnoxious (on a side note, I also think all caps over-reacted positive is obnoxious too, but I find the negative comments more annoying/maddening).

Still, I think everyone should at least give the movie one viewing.

/mini rant
By Master Taran
Argh, why can't I edit? There are a bunch of typos (and mark-up code issues). Ah well.

I'd also like to point out that I think that even if you didn't like it, there should be at least a little more positive stuff said. I mean, part of construcive criticism is pointing out what was done right (besides just the stuff done wrong). I mean, surely there was something good somewhere there.

Now, just so I'm not misunderstood, I'm not advocating conformacy(sp?) here. I'm just saying no one should be [i]all[/i] negative. I mean, if anyone claims it simply sucked 100%, their opinion is really no better than the opinion of someone who says "It's the most perfect movie ever made in the history of film!" which is also a rather useless comment for the opposite reason. For instance, I absolutley loved the movie, but I admit there are flaws. In a few days, I plan on putting up my own in-depth critique on Hank's forum, and I plan on mentioning the flaws.

You do have to remember that NO film is perfect, whether Hollywood or fan-made. Even the "holy" original Star Wars trilogy, which are my absolute favorite movies of all time/eternity, has flaws (and probably many, if you were to pick through and find them all). Just saying that as something to consider and put into perspective.

And no, I'm [i]not[/i] trying to say, "You'd like the movie if you just looked at it the right way" or "watch it again and you'll like it this time." I wouldn't patronize you like that. I'm just saying take all this stuff into consideration when making criticisms.

One more comment, though; I should also point out, in relation to the strange phenomenom of people's movie opinions that I discussed in the previous post, that there are actually people out there who think the original GB movies where terrible. Just sayin'.

Oh, and for those who are interested, Hank has released a high-res DIVX version (it's a torrent file). Just go to [url]returnoftheghostbusters.com[/url] and you can get it. Be warned, though; it's 855 mb, so long dl time.
By RoboBusterX19

and you prove to me (time and time again) that your ecto is the stupidest gayest thing on 4 wheels
but the ecto is not and never will be as gay as you.i have exact replicas of ecto 1 and ecto 1a
yours just looks stupid.
By Master Taran
Samhain, you'll probably want to someone elses high-speed if you can. Otherwise, you're probably SOL. I couldn't even stand to watch the ifilm version with my DSL because of all the freezing and buffering (I had to use a special tool to download the flv video file from ifilm so I could watch it from my hard drive).

Best option: use high-speed to download the high-res DIVX version. Superb clarity.
By jimmy_j_r
RoboBusterX19 wrote:

and you prove to me (time and time again) that your ecto is the stupidest gayest thing on 4 wheels
but the ecto is not and never will be as gay as you.i have exact replicas of ecto 1 and ecto 1a
yours just looks stupid.

Damn! Chill out! If you don't have anything good to say, don't say anything at all. I am tired of seeing all this crap you keep saying about Boomer. Just PM him or keep it to yourself.
By AJ Quick
RoboBusterX19 wrote: and you prove to me (time and time again) that your ecto is the stupidest gayest thing on 4 wheels but the ecto is not and never will be as gay as you.i have exact replicas of ecto 1 and ecto 1a
yours just looks stupid.

Gaaaaaaaaaayyyyyy.
By Boomerjinks
Master Taran wrote: There is a high-res DIVX version up now (720*272, 855 MB). Just go to returnoftheghostbusters.com to get it (it's a torrent).

This is correct. I have a dedicated server that is seeding it at 100Mb/s, so if you do want to see the full hi-res version, just run the torrent!
By Kingpin
Guys, I'd encourage the in-depth discussion to move to the actual "Return of the Ghostbusters" topic as these are only the comments on the news article. That's why none of the HTML tags work, not to mention why posts can't be edited once posted.
By DrTaydusPE
I'm going to group myself in with the "this film is awesome" group. I really enjoyed the storyline (I even found myself getting upset with the one character that was trying to arrest Ed), the props were incredible with the mixing of classic and prototype, and the movie's score (which I believe was mostly original) was pretty much Hollywood quality.

I think a lot of people are "walking into" this film looking for Hollywood quality and while I refuse to claim that I'm a movie expert, I did take classes in this stuff, produced plenty of shorts, and even produced a GB fan film of my own (The reason I haven't put it on here is that I'm worried that it'll get ripped apart cause my special effects are lacking a lot). Some of the shots and special effects that Hank Braxtan put into this film are amazing and seriously Hollywood quality, but yes some are lacking.

I'm not going to try and change everyone's minds, but I don't think it deserves the completely negative reviews that some of you are giving it because of it's low budget feel.

For those that knock the low budget quality, I challenge you (cause I've tried and I would never knock Braxtan and his crew) to make your own fan film. Trust me, it isn't as easy as you think.
By Donkey8012
I agree with you, in part, about the props. I liked the IDEA of exploring new equipment. Let me explain. I liked the new car and Ioved the remote control trap. However, I didn't really care for the new pack design. The biggest problem I had was the costumes. I could get around with them not matching, but there were elements of them that just got on my nerves. The tactical vest, the knee pads (on Ed's knees), and the slanted name tags come to mind. He had to have a reason for making them the way he did, because Braxtan (or whoever designed the costumes) showed that he's capable of making accurate uniforms (See FvGB).
By Jeff Haas
You guys are missing the fact that this little fan film is actually better than a lot of the crap that's on Sci-Fi. There was one movie with Bruce Campbell (yes, Ash!) that had a bunch of aliens coming down to Earth and enslaving people and eating their heads, which didn't look as good or move as fast as this does.

So it's not perfect. So what? It's fun and as fan films go, one of the better ones. Up there with the Star Trek New Voyages bunch of stuff.
By Donkey8012
How dare you disrespect Bruce Campbell!!! Blasphemy!!!
By Master Taran
You have to realize that your dislikes about the costumes and props are really just matters of taste, and you can't hold that against them. Sure, you're entitled to your own opinion of them of course, but you just have to remember that not everyone is going to your taste in props or costumes, and there's nothing wrong with that. He may not have created something that matches your taste, but that doesn't mean that he did something wrong. You may already understand this, it's just that when I read your thoughts about the props & costumes, it seemed as if you were saying that Hank had simply done something wrong in those regards.

Personally, I like the costumes. They give more character to the Denver GB's, rather than simply having them be cardboard cutouts of the original GB's. I think it makes the costumes more realistic & thus makes the whole film professional. I think those are probably Hank's reaons for doing it that way. He's said in other places that he didn't just want a standard, formulaic GB fan film, and he's also said that he wanted to make the film as realistic as possible. I think the costumes fulfill both purposes. As for the realism, I ask why 20 years later would a different set of GB's wear the exact same uniforms as another franchise 2 decades before them?

If you don't like the look of the costumes or props, there's nothing wrong with that; just remember not to let something as inconsequential as a minor esthetic choice ruin the movie for you.
Matty Trap - Replace Pedal?

Appreciate the input. Yeah I'm sure someone has. I[…]

A new update has gone through. Some bug fixes but […]

From what I can tell, the variations are for dista[…]

End papers printed for the prototype: https://i[…]