Discuss the Ghostbusters Comic from IDW, as well as the now defunct Ghostbusters: Legion series.
Hey, guys.

I'm brand spanking new here. I was a huge, huge fan of the movies and RGB cartoon back when I was a kid, but kind of lost touch. Over the last few years I've gotten into reading comics. Starting with Marvel obviously, but moving to a lot of Boom and IDW. I just read the Total Containment HC and am just about finished with the Omnibus Vol 1.

I read Total Containment first, and was having some trouble figuring out many of the references. Having read a lot of Marvel, I've gotten used to not having any idea what characters are talking about. (50 years of history is a lot to catch up on.) I figured out some of the stuff the characters were talking about could be read in the collected stories in the Omnibus, and I've just read on the forums the Zombies are from the Infestation crossover (just ordered that too). I had lots of fun catching some of the easter eggs from the cartoons and the toy line as well, though I'm sure there's plenty I missed.

But the video game is what's got me stumped. I've never played video games much, so I have no experience with any of the GB games. Could you guys help me out a bit?

I read a review somewhere saying that the "Rookie" Peter refers to is the game player, right? And then is that the guy in Chicago as well? Is there anything else I'm missing from the video game that's in the book?

Only other thing is, how many times has Staypuft show up in this continuity? Egon mentions that each time he shows up his PKE readings go up. At the time I was reading it I only new about the movie and then the time in the comic.

Anyway, it's good to be here. Thanks, everybody.
The game is referenced a bit in the ongoing, or there are plenty of Easter Eggs for it as well. The Paranormal Contracts Oversight Commission PCOC was introduced in the video game and they are talked about quite a bit. There is a little boy named Alan that is one of the Ghostbusters from Ghostbusters Sanctum of Slime video game. The fact that Slimer is on the loose in the beginning of the ongoing, Slimer was released from the containment tank at the end of the video game. The Containment tank was introduced in The Ghostbusters Video Game. The Mayor is the same style as the one in Ghostbusters The Video Game Wii and PS2 version. The 2 rookies from the Wii are referenced as well as the realistic Rookie that is currently in Chicago. The Experimental Proton Pack that the Rookie uses in Ghostbusters The Video Game is referenced. The Super Slammer trap was introduced in the video game. That is just a few from volume one I haven't even scratched the surface on what I have mentioned and there are even more game references in volume 2. If you ever find the time, it is worth finding and playing all three versions of the video game. The Wii, The DS and realistic versions are all referenced and all three are very fun to play. Each tells the same story, but there are things in the Stylised version that are not in the realistic version and vice versa. It is so worth playing them all. I hope this helps you some sir. :):):)
Okay, so basically in a nutshell, for the prime canon - there's Ghostbusters, Ghostbusters II, and Ghostbusters: The Video Game (the version for XBox, PS3, PC -- aka Realistic Version). This game came out in 2009. But for the IDW Comics canon, aspects of this game are canon. The team cherry picks from versions of the games so a unique version of The Video Game happens in the IDW canon.

The second modern video game, Ghostbusters: Sanctum of Slime is posited as a possible future of this IDW canon and becoming more and more closer to "likely"

How many times Stay Puft appeared. Let's see:
1) Events of first movie
2) Events of Ghostbusters: The Video Game
3) An off screen appearance before events of Ghostbusters: Infestation
4) Ghostbusters: Infestation
5) Ghostbusters Volume 1 #4
6) Ghostbusters Volume 2 #19 (pulled from a memory from events in #4 onto Ray's subconscious)
Yeah, so five major manifestations of Stay Puft in the IDW canon.

I tried to compile a modest list of references and easter eggs to the games. It's pretty long so I stuck it in spoiler tags, just click and read away.
This Post Contains Spoilers
Awesome, guys. Thanks.

How about that Boson Dart pack? Is that from the game too, or is it new for the comics? It seemed to come up suddenly with very little explanation, so I was thinking it must be from the game, or maybe Infestation (haven't read it yet).
GB-Retired wrote:Awesome, guys. Thanks.

How about that Boson Dart pack? Is that from the game too, or is it new for the comics? It seemed to come up suddenly with very little explanation, so I was thinking it must be from the game, or maybe Infestation (haven't read it yet).
The Boson Dart was an option for the Proton Pack in the video game. In the IDW canon at some point between issues, the pack was deemed too unstable. So in Volume 1 of the ongoing series, the Boson Pack was invented to mitigate the instability issues of the all in one pack from the game.
Hey, guys.

So it looks like somebody edited their play through into a movie. I'm never going to have time to play that game so I may just watch that.

I think that may qualify me for a new level of geekiness, but I can live with that.
LOL!! You are not alone sir. After I got real good at the Game I recorded my gameplay so it could be watched like a movie. I still play the video game for the immersive experience, but sometimes when I just feel like watching the movies. I watch GB 1 GB 2 and then I will watch GBTVG gameplay as GB 3. Now there is a new level of geekiness. ;). :):):)
Me, too, phil! Took me 5 discs but I got it. Then I bought a 5 disc DVD case (same size as a standard DVD case) for cheap on ebay and made a copy of the game case slip art. At one time I considered making a custom case based on that GB1, GB2 DVD box set so I could house them and the TVG one but never got around to it.
LOL!! Wow that is Awesome! I am thrilled to know that I am not the only one. Thank you mrmichaelt you have inspired me to make a case for my GBTVG Gameplay disk. Right now I just have it in a paper sleeve, but you made me realise that if I put it in it's own box it would look great on a shelf with Ghostbusters 1 and 2. Thanks for the inspiration sir. :):):)
mrmichaelt liked this

I found a cool tube at Ollies discount outlet, and[…]

Finally got my copy today - It's not the worst I'v[…]

I don't remember exactly, But I think I've had pr[…]

Someone ID'd them on Facebook first, there w[…]