Thanks for all the support, it gives me the drive to strive hard to make this build awesome, despite my time constraints!
alphabeta001 liked this
Actually this is more like it: Image
alphabeta001 liked this
I was asked for some detailed photos of how I mounted my vent light and bar graph, so I figured I'd post them here as well, in case anybody else wanted them...

Here's the bar graph from the outside... Thanks to Grimmy for inspiring me to do this, I wasn't even remotely thinking of filing down the bargraph hole before he brought it to our attention in his build - genius, I say, man's a GENIUS!

I fashioned a thin aluminum plate that I JB Welded some standoffs to, and it is held down by the two switches...

As for the vent light, just takes some measurements and careful planning... it is mounted with just the single screw that holds the top know next to the vent... had to dremel off some of the board in order for it to fit next to the hatlight socket and the screw...

Glenn Frederick liked this
You used the least amount of material for mounting brackets; which is unlike mine in using a monster size piece. You can easily remove parts. I have to take everything out to get the bracket (shelf) out.
Anyway, it's a compliment.
Hoot liked this
Ah... yeah, it was more to keep it from bumping into and getting in the way of things...
Hoot liked this
Well, look what I gone and did today...

I am most definitely not a maestro with a paint can, so it's definitely messy with blotches here and there, but you know, I'm happy with it, because I want it to look messy and eventually weathered...

Also, my padded LC-1 Spengler-style straps are now attached!

Flat Black with a coat of clear Satin finish, as suggested to me by Vincenzo... it turned out an almost gun metal gray, though... which is kinda cool... it actually EXACTLY matches the color of the ALICE frame...
Oooo where did you get the padded straps? I might have to upgrade mine. My pack needs to lay off the cheez-it and twinkies. She's been putting on some weight and I expect my shoulders will feel it soon.
Talk to Nickatron... just take note though (1) you provide your own straps, (2) it's not a cheap commission ($100+), and (3) it takes a bit of time to make... but your back and shoulders will thank you!

Also, took a cue from the original packs and used some blue layout spray on the inside... in hindsight, I probably should have masked off my light holes, but oh well, adds to the grungy look...

And, wait, are my reflectors red...?!? Yep, took another cue from the new Fincher pack and added the red reflector paint so that the clear lenses look red-ish when the pack is turned off, but won't interfere with the TVG colored LEDs...

Here's the paint used for that... thanks again to Charles "Sephiroth" Fincher for the tip!

Sephiroth liked this
Thanks, everybody!

Progress for the afternoon...

Glenn Frederick liked this
Niiiiiiice!!!!!!!! I hope you come back to Boston next year!
I'll just leave this here...

The red reflectors make a huge difference with the clear lens! I swear, the Finchers are geniuses when it comes to this stuff...

Only three things left to do:
(1) Put the labels and dry rubs on the thrower
(2) Figure out a way to better anchor the ribbon cable in the thrower (it's the only thing that seems to occassionally get in the way of the pop mech)
(3) Add more "pop" to the pop mech (with everything installed, it's hard to get a rubber band in there)

As for now, that thrower install was frustrating as all hell, so I'm gonna get some sleep and much needed rest, but I'm glad it worked out the way I want it... just need to clean up the cable management a tad bit more...
Soooooo hot!!!! Our packs could be twins!
csullivan1980 wrote:Soooooo hot!!!! Our packs could be twins!
Dude, I was looking at photos of your pack, big fan of your texturing! I'm jealous...

Correct, it grants several in fact the Melody's […]

Are they just newspaper clippings or something? […]

If you check the post below from reddit, one of […]

got a link? It appears that some time today[…]