By Cole Funstuff
Thanks julz!

I'll try and get a more accurate view of the model based on that Spengler shot you posted. I'll stick with the 1/4" radius for now as that looks to be the closest.

Unfortunately, my modeling skills and Sketchup are limited in what I'm able to produce. While I'd love to recreate all of the subtle curves and edges, I'm just not able to do it justice and have spent too long on this one part.

It may be something that gets left to the builder to implement when referencing the plans. I'd for sure look to include a note about it for now until either I or someone else is able to put the right curves in.
EpitomeAD liked this
By Hijacker
julz wrote:Hey Cole! So cool you are chipping away at this still :cool:

I defiantly think the second option favouring the curves is the way to go, but I think you could even push it a bit more.

Here is a picture of Spenglers hero from front on, I think some of the curves you have laid down need a little work but I really think you are going down the right path :cool:

Here is your file overlaid as best as I could.

And here is Just a quick outline I did in illustrator on where I thought the main curve areas were, It's still missing some bevel lines but you get the idea.

1/4" radius edging seems to be the best I think. However, I don't think we need to worry about making the ribs crooked like seen in the last shot. There seems to be discrepancies between packs, and I think since we're idealizing them at a 9/16" size to begin with, let's idealize them as straight (with the exception of the long rib on top of course).

While I'm remiss to refer back to other scratch built packs, I kind of like what chris did on his crank gen with the vac line recess. It has a curved step that gradually blends into the gun mount spacer. I need to pull up pictures of shells that have lineage to see if they handle that area the same.

And not to get ahead of ourselves, I was looking at the width of the filler between the crank and the gun mount. It looks to be roughly 1", and with my wooden mockups, having the 1" in between lines up the corner plate and the gun mount properly.
By julz
I'm inclined to think that all the hero's had the exact same shell which included the same fins and their placement

All the crooked alignments seem to match up from pack to pack.

I would be happy to have a go at that area myself Cole... but I model in maya so I'm not sure if I can convert or I would need to learn how to model in solid works :walterpeck:
Kingpin liked this
By julz
Sweet, I'll have a crack at it then, as I can defiantly write out to that format. :cool:
By Cole Funstuff
julz wrote:All the crooked alignments seem to match up from pack to pack.

I would be happy to have a go at that area myself Cole... but I model in maya so I'm not sure if I can convert or I would need to learn how to model in solid works :walterpeck:
What is meant by "crooked" fins? Are we talking about the mis-aligned fin on the left of the top box, or the bottom fins that don't have equal spacing?

The real question is whether we include these in the plans or not. We already have mis-alighted fins on the side of the Powercell and top of the Crank Generator, but these are much more noticeable than say the crooked fin on the left of the Crank.

I would think the bottom fin detail would be included in the plans. I'm not sure what I think about the "crooked" fin seeing as how it's shown on every pack.

Thoughts?
By Kingpin
For what it's worth, I tried to take as "face on" a shot of the Gear Box from the Venky shell:

-funny how I never noticed the kink in fin on the left side of the Gear Box until it was pointed out. :)

Here's a couple to throw on the pile for the Gun Mount:

By AJ Quick
Kingpin wrote:Image
There is a lot of distortion on the picture caused by the camera lens. Try to do that straight on shot from a further distance away (possibly zoom in) and it would be better. Or if you know what kind of lens it has, I believe it could be corrected out through photoshop.
Cole Funstuff liked this
By Hijacker
So the gun mount looks like it was a box that was given a slight lean from that picture. Could that be the nature of the mold that venky pulled his shells from? If we stick with Cole's tapered plans for all 4 faces, that should allow a 3/4" filler like what I see that will still line up with the corner plate.

As for the crooked ribs on the face of the crank, I say try and position them the same, but we're already sacrificing some accuracy on the rib size and spacing for the sake of uniformity. We could always just leave it to the individual builder if they'd rather idealize the ribs or stick with the more accurate positioning.
By julz
Thanks for the pic's ben

It's amazing to see them side by side and overlayed over the super hero. I've slightly corrected the super hero for perspective issues, but all the fins fall and details line up very well.

Kingpin liked this
By Taaz
Is there anymore work going on with these plans? I had talked to the local college CAD dept about printing some of these and it has really interested me but I am definitely a noob when it comes to 3d modeling. I did some work on my own digitizing Stephan's plans in Sketchup but I know someone more skilled could do a better job. I think this is a project that shouldn't die off if there is still interest.
By AJ Quick
Taaz wrote:Is there anymore work going on with these plans? I had talked to the local college CAD dept about printing some of these and it has really interested me but I am definitely a noob when it comes to 3d modeling. I did some work on my own digitizing Stephan's plans in Sketchup but I know someone more skilled could do a better job. I think this is a project that shouldn't die off if there is still interest.
If you have Sketchup knowledge, fork the plans and start working on them.
By Taaz
Well i wouldn't say I had knowledge, more or an amateur interest. But I thought maybe i could lay some groundwork on some of the components they awesome people working on these might get appreciate it. Got the plans forked so I can keep an eye on them.
By AJ Quick
Taaz wrote:Well i wouldn't say I had knowledge, more or an amateur interest. But I thought maybe i could lay some groundwork on some of the components they awesome people working on these might get appreciate it. Got the plans forked so I can keep an eye on them.
Right now the plans are being worked on by people who probably have the same Sketchup skill level you do. I'd open them up, and just start adding in the missing pieces. Since its all open source, we can then merge your additions back into the main file. It might help get it moving again.

And of course there is no problem with adding in measurements from Stefan's plans on the parts that haven't yet been added. They can be changed and made to be more accurate later on.
By Taaz
I started a github account and forked the plans. I have a cosmetic plating/filler plugs that fits the new plans but someone might want to check my work on it. I'm still working on the spacer and cyclotron.
By CPU64
I wanted to do some work with this, so I did a quick model. But I can't output to any useful formats for this project -_-
By Kingpin
CPU64 wrote:I wanted to do some work with this, so I did a quick model. But I can't output to any useful formats for this project -_-
The fins on the right-hand side of the section should be flush with the right-most edge.

Make it that pack, sell it for $599. (While I […]

Yeah, we've been building this thing for ten[…]

Someone on FB found it. NARDA ELECTROMAGNETIC RADI[…]

It appears that some time today someone who […]