By 35FT_TWINKIE
Hello to all. I am currently about halfway through a scratch built thrower and am trying to get my front handle finished up. I have been trying to source the materials through readily available stores and it's proving to be too much of a PITA! So I am resorting to speedy metals and will order online. I just want to get some feedback from some more practiced hands and minds. I have done searching and cannot find a thread to answer this but if one exists, please feel free to redirect me. Also if anyone knows the measurements to proven tubing sizes off hand please fill me in, I am all ears.

I will be doing a rotating barrel and extending tip, as screen accurate as possible, so there will be the acrylic tube, an inner tube, and an outer tube. Here's where I'm at so far, all available sizes from speedymetals.com.

Acrylic tube: 7/8" = .875, plus about a 1/16 gap = .9375

Inner tube
OD - 1.0
Wall - .035
ID - .930 (acrylic tube fits in here)

Outer tube
OD - 1.25
Wall - .083
ID - 1.084 (inner tube fits in here)

-or-

OD - 1.25
Wall - .120
ID - 1.010 (inner tube fits in here)

Which outer tube would provide the best tolerance to the inner tube?
Is my inner tube going to be a good choice?
Am I a complete mental handicap and none of this is close?

Thanks in advance fellas!
-Casey
You want .049 for the spacer around the acrylic, .049 for the next tube out, and then .058 for the out-most section, IIRC.

I did a full tolerancing schedule, but don't remember where I put it.
By 35FT_TWINKIE
ChapterMasterTu'Shan wrote:You want .049 for the spacer around the acrylic, .049 for the next tube out, and then .058 for the out-most section, IIRC.

I did a full tolerancing schedule, but don't remember where I put it.
Are these measurements for the various wall thicknesses? I'm just a little confused.
Those are wall thicknesses. you know the smallest ID has to be bigger than .875" and the OD of the largest tube is 1.25" so you can do the math. The tube I was going off of is from a different supplier so yours might have different tolerances.
By 35FT_TWINKIE
ChapterMasterTu'Shan wrote:Those are wall thicknesses. you know the smallest ID has to be bigger than .875" and the OD of the largest tube is 1.25" so you can do the math. The tube I was going off of is from a different supplier so yours might have different tolerances.
Ok that makes sense then. I was also trying to pull off achieving the screen accurate look with only an outer tube(the grips go on), and and inner tube that the acrylic tip would slide into, all without using a barrel tip converter. Seems like I'm going to have to use 3 separate tubes if I want it accurate.

Thanks!

Anybody else have any info?!?
By OBSIDIAN
So, what tubes did you end up going with?
I’m trying to build the front barrel and am lost. I have the 7/8” acrylic barrel that goes inside a 1” OD tube. What do I need to match up to the 1.25 receiver?
    Matty Trap - Replace Pedal?

Appreciate the input. Yeah I'm sure someone has. I[…]

A new update has gone through. Some bug fixes but […]

From what I can tell, the variations are for dista[…]

End papers printed for the prototype: https://i[…]