Have a guide or tutorial? Post it up!
I just tried this last night. It looks pretty good in the areas you'd want, inbetween the fins and on the cylcotron, however, I am spending a lot of today scraping and sanding parts off.

This is definitely something you'd want to practice with before trying on your main/hero shell. Also, I'd think about choosing a particular pack beforehand and try to replicate where it has texture and where it doesn't. I think that would have helped me out before I started.

ProtonCharger, I was able to purchase all the supplies at my neighborhood Ace.
Thanks again for this tutorial Chris! Just wanted to share a pic from the build I recently completed using this technique. The pack in the foreground used the texturing, while my buddy, whose pack is in the background, decided against it. He later regretted that decision when he saw how awesome the texturing looks.

Heres another shot of the difference.

Believe me when I say that the pictures don't do this technique justice. It looks amazing in person- almost like the shell is cast iron or steel. :cool:
I tried this method out and I would say to make sure you you heat the bottle of the Homex texture first to get a really fine texture. I took a pot of water and got it to the point where it was steaming then placed the Homex can in the pot for 2 minutes. I pulled it out of the water and quickly sprayed my shell. This is how it looked after I primed it.

(open in a new page to see the full sized image)

It started to cool down by the time I got to the gun mount box so its not quite as fine but I'm happy with the results. This is actually the second time I textured this shell. The first time it was too cold and I was not happy with the final result so I had to sand this whole thing down and redo it. I say it was worth it.
By CPU64
When it comes to primer, if you really want the good stuff, and have a spray gun, you won't regret buying a quart of automotive primer.
I use Sherwin Williams primer that comes in a can with basically the filler material. Mix it up 1:1with Acetone and spray. It dries quickly and best of all it never feels "gummy" like spray-can primer does sometimes..
CPU64 wrote:When it comes to primer, if you really want the good stuff, and have a spray gun, you won't regret buying a quart of automotive primer.
I use Sherwin Williams primer that comes in a can with basically the filler material. Mix it up 1:1with Acetone and spray. It dries quickly and best of all it never feels "gummy" like spray-can primer does sometimes..
Do you have any recommendations for the brand of automotive primer? My dad has a nice spray gun and I am thinking about taking this route. Also, what would be a good paint to use for the black?

Edit: Does Sherwin Williams make car paint as well? I just assumed they only make house paint. That may have answered my question.
By CPU64
Shewin williams has a very nice selection of automotive paints. I used their Ultra 7000 products on my car many years ago and it still holding up. And the car has been never been parked in a garage since painted.
Any of their primers will work very well for pack shells.
Paranormal wrote:1 question, was the texture applied before or after the primer?

I apply the texture after my first coat of primer and then when I'm done texturing I add another coat to seal everything up. The solid color of the primer helps me see what spots I missed or need to put more texture on. Helps the contrast between the two materials.
Twinkie'84 wrote:Amazing tutorial! Helped me a great deal when I came to do mine!

Et voila!! :D

Very nice, dude. I'm just about at this stage now so I'll be trying it out. Did you use Plasti-kote Stone spray? (http://www.plasti-kote.co.uk/Stone_Touch)
If so, did it go on OK and how did the sealing/laquer process go? I'm in the UK too so will be using domestic products, obviously
Thank you Chris! I am so glad I stumbled across this thread. You do some very great work and have some awesome advice. :)
Last edited by Michael Clifton on February 8th, 2013, 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oh, question too. What type of paint are you all using for the final black coat. Is it a satin black? Flat black? Gloss Black? Inquiring minds want to know. :)
gEkX wrote:Satin with some 000 steel wool to give it that old finish or BBQ Grill Black.

Me likey! Very creative I didn't even think of that... I think I will go with that on my build. Mucho thanks!
Has anybody had any issues with the texture causing the ion arm to not fit smoothly against the shell? The thought came to mind to tape off a little rectangle there before texturing to ensure a tight fit. I'm not to this point yet, so I thought I'd ask you guys that have done it.

I found a cool tube at Ollies discount outlet, and[…]

Finally got my copy today - It's not the worst I'v[…]

I don't remember exactly, But I think I've had pr[…]

Someone ID'd them on Facebook first, there w[…]