By bigi71
Thanks for the feedback guys :)
Skyknight wrote:Wow, that looks like a masterpiece. I wish my build would look like this, but I don't have your talent...or the right tools.
Oh, you dont need a lot of fancy tools to work with styrene, i made this whole thing on the floor in my living room ^^ You just need a sharp knife, some rulers, a lot of sanding paper, a sanding block, maybe a few files and some other small things. Sure i used my dremel too but not for anything that could not have been done with files or sanding paper. It is really not very hard to work with this stuff if you´re patient and take your time with every single measurement, every line you draw and every cut you make. :)
Skyknight wrote:Btw. from which part of germany do you come from?
I live in Schleswig-Holstein, pretty close to Rendsburg.
By bigi71
Shame on me that i´ve never noticed this detail before, lol. But i think i fixed it after looking at all reference pics i could find of this area and double checking where the hga sits. Im glad i still have all the pics taken by thegreatgallina, one of those was especially helpful :)

The result looks not too bad i think:

Im sure ill have more pics of my progress soon but for now here´s just a little teaser shot of the whole packshell as it is right now:

And for those of you who are curious about what it looks like from the inside:
Last time i forgot to upload this pic but i already had it so why now show it :)
Its a pretty strong thing actually...so i hope it doesnt get destroyed when i demold it. Molding will have to wait for a bit tho because im poor and silicone is not cheap. Anyway, the good thing is that i can now finally clean up the horrible mess i made in my living room, there are little styrene pieces everywhere on the floor ^^

More coming soon :)
By bigi71
Thank you Nick :)

Sure thing, i sort of have to make some shells from it because its the accurate material and a couple of years ago i said to myself that if i ever make a pack again it has to be fiberglass and aluminum. Im just not sure yet if im gonna sell them...well...we will see ^^
By bigi71
Of course i missed the white light caps in the for sale forum ( :lol: ) and since the buck for the pack is done too and i had nothing better to do i decided id like to try what i had originally planned for the hatlights. Which is making them from scratch.

I did it with a much more ghetto approach than CPU64 tho :)

So what do you do if you need a round part like a hatlight ? yes...you use a lathe. Well, i dont have one but i have a dremel so i used it as a makeshift lathe like this:

The material i used for this one is milky white acrylic and "turning" it with different drill bits works very well if you are very careful and dont do it too fast.
Still unfinished and unpolished but it already looks kinda like a hatlight:

Now a pic of the finished thing:

The metal part fits in there very tightly and stays in place without any glue:

And finally a picture of what it looks like when its lit by a warm white LED:

It took me half a day to figure out how to make it, but i hope the other two i still have to make arent going to take that long. I already have some opaque orange acrylic so maybe ill try to make an orange one tomorrow.
By pchrisbosh1
Bigi are you serious that you did that with a Dremel? I mean I know crazy things can be done with a Dremel but that looks nearly spot on. That's pretty unbelievable, great job. Your finished shell looks phenomenal as well can't wait to possibly be able to own one.
By bigi71
Thanks guys, your kind words were a great motivation to make the orange one today :)

I started again with a square piece of acrylic. Now you might be wondering how to start turning a square piece into a round and perfectely centered piece. Obviously you cant just start with a drill bit, the acrylic would fly across the room. But what can be done is running the dremel at high speed and starting to work your way thru the piece from the top of it. Like this:
I used an old compass for this ^^

...and after some work with a drill bit i got this (The bottom is still unfinished) :

So the white one got a mate now:

And here im testing it with a white LED again:

Im quite happy with it :)

More stuff coming soon.
By Mr.Spider
uhh, so wow, tha'ts amazing. Good work !
By kind2311
wow, its amazing how there is all of a sudden the potential for an abundance of these once rare items. what with xtrmn8r17's find, CPU64 doing his own and now bigi71 too.

so awesome
By Not404Error
Holy f***.
By bigi71
Thanks a lot :)

After the recent interesting discussion about fake welds in KagaSakais great build thread and finding out about the thread in the tutorial section i thought i should try to make a better one with CPU64s method. So i got a 2 part epoxy sausage, ripped the old weld line off the N-filter, sanded the paint completely down to the plastic and started playing around. The first try looked kinda odd, the second was a too big weld line and the third one is this:
I know you didnt see a close up of the old one but trust me when i say it was worth stripping the paint off and redoing this ^.^

And because i like to take pictures:

I applied the last coat of paint yesterday and now it should REALLY be finished. Umm....at least i hope so ;)
So whats next....well, its making a bumper i think :)

Oh, another thing - this was made mostly out of sc[…]

Hasbro Ghostbusters

Is anybody making Slime Blowers that would fit the[…]

Beautiful!! I'm getting this even if finances don[…]

Super helpful thanks. I will read properly when […]