Have a guide or tutorial? Post it up!
Pdred1985 wrote:So I've never used a tap before. Is it pretty simple? I've got to mount my shell whenever it gets here.
Yeah it's pretty simple, the most important thing is to get the right size drill for the tap...

There are drill and tap size charts out there (LINK) that will tell you this, but for example... I'm going to use an M6 bolt on my pack... the drill required is a 5.2mm drill.

Also from my days as an apprentice I seem to remember you have to be sure to unwind the tap wrench half a turn every now and then to clear the swarf (Ie, one full turn, half turn back) But tapping aluminium is a lot easier than tapping steel so you probably wont need to!

My angle arrived today... I've gone for a slightly thicker gauge than what's posted here (so I get more thread in the aluminium to actually hold the shell in place) but I think I'm just being over-kill!

By CPU64
With aluminum you'll want to use a little bit of oil or WD-40. If its too tight and it feels like the tap might break, the hole is too small.
Make sure to start it in straight and thread it all the way in. And before you unwind the tap, brush off any shavings from the tool. You want it clean before unwinding because the swarf can strip the thread since the tap only cuts on the way in.
no problem, im happy i did it because i have used some of the tips and info in these posts as well. so you give a little you get a little ;)

ectorhx, the correct screw size to mount the shell to the L-brackets is 1/4-20.
Stroudy wrote:Kind,

Just wanted to say thanks a lot for this thread, it was a huge help today.

Thanks again!

I concur. This thread was a huge help for me this past week. Thanks Kind.
Little jigsaw tip.. If you're shopping for one, make sure you get one that has a orbital setting to move the blade back and forth as it cuts. Instead of just straight up and down. It makes a HUGE difference in cutting speed.
Oh and make sure to use blades for metal cutting. Some people just use whatever is on the saw :Þ
I unfort got black n decker with variable speeds but I don't think it goes back and forth. I have number 36 fine tooth metal cutting blades with band saw lubricant I'll be putting on the mobo while cutting. I'll post pics in my build thread hopefully today or tommorow
Thanks for the tutorial! The only thing I added was some 1/8" thick black rubber gasket material on the faces of the brackets to help give a firm, but semi-soft mating face for inside the shell. (plus, I'm hoping I can avoid rattling when I add a sound kit).

Thanks again for the photos and help!
I don't have a tap set (or access to a tap set), and was looking at some alternatives. One idea I had was mounting the brackets and drilling the holes as indicated, but then JB welding a nut (or several nuts together) onto the inside of the bracket around the hole, so the bolt had someting to screw into.

Thoughts?
Don't Panic wrote:I don't have a tap set (or access to a tap set), and was looking at some alternatives. One idea I had was mounting the brackets and drilling the holes as indicated, but then JB welding a nut (or several nuts together) onto the inside of the bracket around the hole, so the bolt had someting to screw into.

Thoughts?
Taps aren't that expensive. All you need is one 1/4” tap for this.
jackdoud wrote:Why not just use lock nuts?
How would locknuts help me mount the pack to the mobo?
Taps aren't that expensive. All you need is one 1/4” tap for this.
Well, if I already have jb weld and the right size nuts, why spend money on something I really won't use very often? If worse comes to worse, then I can always spend the money, but if I can come up with an equally simple workaround, then why not?
I don't know if you're scratch building a pack or building from shell, but you're probably making a significant investment already (unless you're building from foam core or paper), so why not just spend the $7-8 bucks and do it the right way? I wouldn't want my investment crashing down to the ground because of some JB Weld.

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]

I read Back in Town #1. Spoilers : Hate to b[…]

I'd really like to see the new t-shirt unlocks tra[…]