Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
By TheRcProfessional
Far451 wrote: August 1st, 2021, 10:02 pm As far as i can tell, this is the most likely candidate for the drive train of the RtV. The Traxxas Hoss 4x4 vxl
https://traxxas.com/products/landing/hoss-4x4-vxl/

The ground clearance is correct ( the tires are different) the wheelbase on the RtV is shorter( by about 3.5" to 8" from 11.5"), but the design of this RC car allows for an easy shortening of the front drive shaft. The front bumper is the right shape, and the suspension is the right type and also is in the right place.

Since the tires were identified as Traxxas and they are for a 1/10 scale car, this model is the closest thing I can figure.
Many other Traxxas vehicles have the wrong suspension (visible in the trailer if you go frame by frame), or wrong chassis layout. or wrong ground clearance(The Stampede is too high).
I have found the guy who made/drove the RTV prop for the movie, his name is Ben Eadie. He has made a TikTok account where he is planning on detailing his rebuild of one of the many real RTV props made for the movie. As well as answering questions about the many props he has made for Ghostbusters Afterlife. He has already answered the question of what RC platform was the base for the RTV, it was the Traxxas Stampede 4X4 VXL, as shown in this video made by himself: https://www.tiktok.com/@dreadmakerrober ... 6453471749
Far451, Grymlock liked this
By danimal
Yes, the stampeded VXL was used for the movie prop... but that doesn't mean the Hoss isn't the better choice to start with. The VXL is the most important bit, so using the hoss gets you closer to the finished mark quicker/easier just slightly.
Grymlock liked this
By Grymlock
danimal wrote: December 10th, 2021, 10:20 am Yes, the stampeded VXL was used for the movie prop... but that doesn't mean the Hoss isn't the better choice to start with. The VXL is the most important bit, so using the hoss gets you closer to the finished mark quicker/easier just slightly.
The Hoss might get you closer faster, but is pretty pricey at $480; you can get a Stampede 4x4 kit for $280. The VXL portion just swaps in their brushless system for the brushed which gives you 3s lipo speeds... but unless you're aiming to hit 40+ miles per hour to keep up with Ecto-1, I think the brushed system is peppy enough on 2s. :-) Even my Rustler 4x4 VXL, which has a really low CG, will traction roll on a 3s batt.

I'd say the most important part if you're going Traxxas is to get a 4x4 version because they mount their motors midship, vs. their 2wd offerings, where the motor is slung off the back behind the rear wheels. For my build I tried to go the budget route and chose the Arrma Granite Mega Voltage since it was 2wd (no driveshaft to cut) and has a midship motor. 4wd though would be really nice in hindsight; the short wheelbase makes it spin out quite easily. :-)
Far451 liked this
By chrisyc
Hi. Are the side panels the standard trap size? Is it just the rear box that is bigger?

Thanks
Far451 wrote: August 12th, 2021, 11:12 pm I mounted the wheels on a Traxxas Stampede 4x4 with wheel hub extenders and enlargers ( from 12 to 17mm and 30mm extension)
I realize that this likely isn't the right host drivetrain, but the Hoss was double the price. I did see many similarities, and from what I can tell I will be able to make this work. I will be changing the camber links (these are grey plastic) to black metal links.
The rear shocks are too high, so I've ordered smaller ones and will switch those out, and center drive shaft needs to be a whole lot shorter, so I ordered a metal one that I can trim down.
I foresee a lot of work making this look right.

I've also been mocking up the rear box on the trap portion. It's a lot longer than the other GB1 and 2 traps. I've added the rear box top on the top of the GB2 trap to see the difference. It's just a mock up for now. If anyone has other images of the RTV please feel free to post them here. I have very little to go on so far.

Grymlock liked this
By Far451
The only normal size thing is the width.

The side panels I designed are very odd compared to a normal trap. They integrate a bottom plate into the side. Otherwise you would interfere with the drive train.

If you look closely at the RTV, you start to see that is is a very different trap from GB1 or GB2. The aluminum sides have to be cut out differently as well for the front wheel assembly and the shock supports.
danimal, Grymlock liked this
By chrisyc
Thanks for the reply. It is quite a lot different :o - Are the trap doors the same size? They look small but it could be due to the trap being longer?
Far451 wrote: December 17th, 2021, 8:42 am The only normal size thing is the width.

The side panels I designed are very odd compared to a normal trap. They integrate a bottom plate into the side. Otherwise you would interfere with the drive train.

If you look closely at the RTV, you start to see that is is a very different trap from GB1 or GB2. The aluminum sides have to be cut out differently as well for the front wheel assembly and the shock supports.
By Far451
Finally done! Well the RTV, the remote is still in process… a little too much fuller's earth on it, I'll clean it up when I run it outside tomorrow.
I ran it in the living room and popped some good wheelies, then crashed it into a chair and broke the flashlight. (facepalm) Training mode next time.

retraceoj, Grymlock, OtherBill and 1 others liked this
By Grymlock
Horizon Hobby has the Arrma Granite Voltage Mega 2wd on sale for $89.99 (usually $119.99) :-) It's the platform I used as my base if you're looking to build a more budget, but still very capable RTV.

This is mine tearing around with a 2s lipo ^_^
Last edited by Kingpin on December 30th, 2021, 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.Reason: Added YouTube code
Far451 liked this
By GhostbusterRN
My RTV tearing it up in the snow, I’ve been following this thread forever and have been making myself wait till it was essentially done to post, while it’s not movie accurate, I’m happy with how it came out, and it was more important to have functions (doors opening, lights and smoke then to look accurate as when taking it to shows kids won’t know the difference, but having it open and smoke should get their attention.

Last edited by Kingpin on January 25th, 2022, 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.Reason: Added YouTube code
Far451, Grymlock, retraceoj and 1 others liked this
By Grymlock
GhostbusterRN wrote: January 24th, 2022, 5:44 pm My RTV tearing it up in the snow, I’ve been following this thread forever and have been making myself wait till it was essentially done to post, while it’s not movie accurate, I’m happy with how it came out, and it was more important to have functions (doors opening, lights and smoke then to look accurate as when taking it to shows kids won’t know the difference, but having it open and smoke should get their attention.

Woo! Looks great!! =)
By Mathew_impact1
Started to seriously work on my RTV this weekend.
Imagur link RTV traxxas stampede 4x4 conversion
[/url]https://imgur.com/gallery/2cm0kB6[/url]

ImageI removed 1/2" on each side, and 3" in length.

ImageCut pattern and marks for m4 screw holes.

ImageI used extruded aluminum 1" L channel to splice front to back. Trap side plates are layered 1/16" ABS sheet, edges will be built up to 1/4" thick. The stock tower extension arms are 3/16" polycarb.

I purchased far451 3dprint files off etsy, which are beautiful, and will use them for the flashlights and antenna knob. But I plan to build the rest rest from scratch or original materials. As I'm not a fan of print lines.
Far451 liked this
By Grymlock
Hey future and fellow RTV builders! =) Traxxas cars/trucks don't go on sale too often, but they're having their Spring Savings event til Mar 31! Looks like $30 off a Stampede 4x4 (Non-VXL), and $60 off a 2WD VXL Stampede. I believe the 4x4 VXL version of the Stampede was used in the official screen build but the non-VXL brushed motor version has the same layout as the VXL one and is still plenty fast. The 2wd VXL brushless motor one can be stupid fast, but I'm not sure on how the layout might affect your build. ^_^

https://traxxas.com/news/spring-savings

Cheers!
Far451 liked this
I’ve started work on my own controller with a futaba rip max 6, what size toggle do you have underneath that pilot flick shield thingy? The one I have has a 12mm hole which seems rather large when my other toggles are only 6mm holes/threads.

I wasn’t able to get any vintage red pilot indicator lamps like you have so I’m just using a couple of squared off surface mounted led lenses. Not ideal but the best I could find in the U.K.
By Maurice2029
danimal wrote: October 4th, 2021, 2:26 pm I started with a 1:12 RC 2wd off amazon due to the needed wheelbase for Spirit and Walmart trap sizing...

Then added the correct wheel/tire set... I opened the trap and move the electronics out while trimming about an inch off the trap bottoms to get the right stance on the RTV, while still being able to remount and use the electronics.
Do you remember which "1:12 RC 2wd" exactly you bought from amazon? I am looking for a cheaper alternative than the traxxas RC cars, and yours seem to fit the trap very well.
I don't have any pictures yet but I'm starting my own RTV build with the Mid-Iowa Ghostbusters. The Traxxas Stampede chassis is unavailable to buy and frankly outrageously expensive ever since it was kind of confirmed that was that chassis used in the making of the film. So what me and the gang are doing, we're taking the 1/16 scale E-Revo and using it's chassis for the build. According to some brief measurements we did of the Spirit Halloween/Walmart trap the chassis more than likely will fit snuggly but perfectly in the bottom of the trap without any extra modification.

And since the screenused 1/8 tires would be too big I'll probably end up using 1/10 scale tires for it. I'm not exactly thrilled about the shock arrangement being cantilever and not in the v shape that the trap is. I might have to see if I can get some Stampede control arms and shocks to make it look more screen accurate but from what my coworkers at the hobby shop I now work at say they're not compatible.

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]

I read Back in Town #1. Spoilers : Hate to b[…]

I'd really like to see the new t-shirt unlocks tra[…]