Discuss all things Ghostbusters here, unless they would be better suited in one of the few forums below.
By JuanB
did they ever explain this? what is it made of? what are the mechanics? how does it contain ghost? how many can it contain? can somebody elaborate for me? :cool:
By zeta otaku
They never go into details on the mechanics. You kind of just need to go off assumptions with certain things. For instance, we can assume the traps use a similar containment system as the larger containment unit, just smaller and not suited for long term storage.

As for numbers, it depends on the continuity. In the movies (and the IDW ongoing comics), a trap can handle one or two with little problem, but things get kind of... explosive if you cram too many in there. The cartoons made the traps fit the need of the script, but couple hold way more standard ghosts than the movie versions, but there were instances of very powerful entities breaking free of the trap.
Sav C, JuanB liked this
By Kingpin
The reboot went into a bit of detail as to how their Ghost Trap worked:
Then we add the reversible psychokinetic energy sink plus Holtzy's hollow beam to this baby, and voilá. We got a ghost in there.
-suggesting that the psychokinetic sink attracts the ghost, and the hollow beam pulls it in (with either the hollow beam, or something in the reboot Trap's casing preventing it from getting out if the lid is sealed).
JuanB liked this
By mrmichaelt
I agree it's a portable and compact version of the Containment Unit. So some sort of dampening effect on the a ghost's P.K.E. that keeps them in a state of rigid stasis like removing one battery from a TV remote.
Troy wrote:If only there were some sort of technical manual...
If only the guy writing the manual wasn't blocked by NDA and could talk about it. :P
Troy, Sav C, JuanB and 1 others liked this
By GBfan_CH
Sci-fi pseudo particle physics, my friend. Picture this: In the GB universe, the majority of spectral phenomena are negatively charged.

A beam of protons (with adjustable strength) holds them in place like a fishing line.

A trap, one assumes, is therefore either a stronger positive charge than a proton beam, or an earthing point. Or a thing.

All we know for sure is it gets bright, so don't look directly at it.
Sav C, SpaceBallz, JuanB liked this
By SpaceBallz
GBfan_CH wrote:Sci-fi pseudo particle physics, my friend. Picture this: In the GB universe, the majority of spectral phenomena are negatively charged.

A beam of protons (with adjustable strength) holds them in place like a fishing line.

A trap, one assumes, is therefore either a stronger positive charge than a proton beam, or an earthing point. Or a thing.

All we know for sure is it gets bright, so don't look directly at it.
Also, don't cross the streams. It would be bad.
Sav C liked this
By pferreira1983
Razorgeist wrote:I always imagined it was a sort of powerful electromagnetic field that neutralized and pulled the ghost in. The trap was a smaller version of the containment grid.
The trap is like a mini world inside, I'm assuming the ghost's particles are shrunk to allow more than one ghost to fit inside the trap.
JuanB liked this
By RealGhostbusterJay
Here is some insight as to how it works. There are several channels that have similar videos with some slight differences between books and videos however the Ectomobile book is authorized by Ghostcorps so if one works on the "official" aspect then that book would be the main explanation. These videos are good too however.

Last edited by Kingpin on April 1st, 2023, 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.Reason: Added YouTube code

Be careful removing the Hasbro weathering using […]

Are these autographs legit?

This is over a month old, but none of the four sig[…]

Charlesworth Dynamics Trap Build

Hi All, The Trap is coming on, I've nearly finish[…]

I found a cool tube at Ollies discount outlet, and[…]