For the various Ghostbusters Cartoon series. Real Ghostbusters, Extreme Ghostbusters and more!
This is askew from this topic, but is indirectly related to the idea of upscaling/remastering the series. Well, more of an idle wonder (and forgetting the ethics for a moment) but with advances in AI voice reproduction, I'm pretty sure you could replace Dave Coulier's lines with Lorenzo Music in later episodes if someone had the time and inclination.

Not saying it's a good use of time, or a worthwhile endeavor, but it just struck me it could be a possibility...
RedSpecial liked this
Chicken, He Clucked wrote: March 27th, 2023, 2:26 am This is askew from this topic, but is indirectly related to the idea of upscaling/remastering the series. Well, more of an idle wonder (and forgetting the ethics for a moment) but with advances in AI voice reproduction, I'm pretty sure you could replace Dave Coulier's lines with Lorenzo Music in later episodes if someone had the time and inclination.

Not saying it's a good use of time, or a worthwhile endeavor, but it just struck me it could be a possibility...
How dare you. Dave Coulier was a fine Venkman.
zeta otaku liked this
I have to defend him, he lives 5 minutes away from me and helped my team out. :P
By ccv66
Dave Coulier has to be capable of doing a '84 GB Venkman vs the caddyshack Murray we got.

We should blame the director. I don't like his performance , but if Dave Coulier came in blind with no direction, his take for a kids show makes sense
On that recent podcast Tara Strong hosted about EGB recently I was stunned how much Dave Coulier's speaking voice does sound like 84 Venkman. The version he landed on for the cartoon beggars belief!
ccv66 wrote: March 27th, 2023, 1:10 pm Dave Coulier has to be capable of doing a '84 GB Venkman vs the caddyshack Murray we got.

We should blame the director. I don't like his performance , but if Dave Coulier came in blind with no direction, his take for a kids show makes sense
The implications seemed like Marsha Goodman, the voice director, had some weird mandates to work with so I don't blame her for the sound of Coulier's Peter. I recall she didn't get why they cast Arsenio Hall over Ernie Hudson until I think Gross or Medjuck told her they were looking for a young voice. Or the fact that all Egon try outs were told not to imitate Ramis yet LaMarche did and Gross made an exception. I don't even wanna guess what they told Goodman what they wanted Peter to sound like post-Music.
ccv66 liked this
By Kingpin
Chicken, He Clucked wrote: February 7th, 2024, 8:14 am I’m also hopeful James Eatock or GC are overseeing an AI upscale release of Real Ghostbusters similar to the one He-Man recently received.
Unfortunately, unless some masters of the episodes have been discovered in the years since the Time Life set came out in 2008, I don't think we'll see a remastered set of The Real Ghostbusters like that Masters of the Universe one... The broadcast tapes that James and Co. found were good enough for a standard DVD transfer, but they weren't good enough quality to be the basis of a high-definition/4K release.
Kingpin wrote: February 7th, 2024, 11:00 am
Chicken, He Clucked wrote: February 7th, 2024, 8:14 am I’m also hopeful James Eatock or GC are overseeing an AI upscale release of Real Ghostbusters similar to the one He-Man recently received.
Unfortunately, unless some masters of the episodes have been discovered in the years since the Time Life set came out in 2008, I don't think we'll see a remastered set of The Real Ghostbusters like that Masters of the Universe one... The broadcast tapes that James and Co. found were good enough for a standard DVD transfer, but they weren't good enough quality to be the basis of a high-definition/4K release.
Do we know if they were on film or just edited on tape? I know the pilot was put on film but I wonder if there was ever an OCN for RGB episodes. Or what the production pipeline was If it was all done on tape, I’m wondering if they just got reused. If it was film…man. Not having that is a major loss. I know they’d have no way of knowing what the future would hold but just as a general arching rule. A show that popular? You’d think they’d save em.

Breaks the heart. The pilot looks beautiful. I can’t begin to imagine getting that quality.
By Bison256
With the rate AI is advancing we will have cleaned up episodes sooner rather than later. The real Ghostbusters isn't the highest quality animation. There's not much shading or gradation of colors on foreground objects. Backgrounds are higher quality but nothing that would be difficult for an AI to clean up.
By Kingpin
RichardLess wrote: February 7th, 2024, 1:58 pmDo we know if they were on film or just edited on tape?
I believe they were sourced from tape, as small snippets of television commercials remain where the commercial breaks had been edited out by the TimeLife team.
I couldn't say if the episodes were originally put on tape or if film had been the original format... Either Derek or MichaelT would probably know.
Kingpin wrote: Unfortunately, unless some masters of the episodes have been discovered in the years since the Time Life set came out in 2008, I don't think we'll see a remastered set of The Real Ghostbusters like that Masters of the Universe one... The broadcast tapes that James and Co. found were good enough for a standard DVD transfer, but they weren't good enough quality to be the basis of a high-definition/4K release.
James posted a single image of RGB upscaled as an example and seemed confident it could be done with existing sources. The tech used for He-Man is sophisticated, apparently (though not saying you’re wrong).
By Kingpin

That example he posted certainly looks phenomenal... I'd be interested to see examples of the same process from a wider selection of episodes to see if the majority of them would be remastered to a similar quality.

If they do tackle a new DVD set, I hope they're able to fix some of the quite startling issues that we ended up seeing: LINK.

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]

I read Back in Town #1. Spoilers : Hate to b[…]

I'd really like to see the new t-shirt unlocks tra[…]