By 1965Ambulance
So.. funny story. Had the world famous UGA vs TENN. game today so we took the Ecto-1 out to make people go crazy.

We're on the way home and a cop stops us in the middle of the street and tells us that this car is not an emergency vehicle (although up until then I thought ambulances were) and that having those blue lights, the siren, and the music we had playing from PA's were all very illegal and if he ever saw us driving around town again, a warrant would be issued for my arrest and the car would be impounded.

What kind of crap is this? We weren't running the lights or the sirens and we've been around campus probably over 25 times doing the exact same thing we were doing. Cops usually give us a thumbs up. This guy was just an asshole.

I just thought I'd share this with you folks. I'll be sure to post again if I ever actually do get arrested for being a Ghostbuster.

OH-- and he said the charge would be "impersonating a police officer". I didn't know police officers drove a forty year old ambulance around with the Ghostbusters theme playing out of PA speakers.
By derail
The cop probably meant that it wasn't a legally registered emergency vehicle. Anyway, I'm sorry to hear that dude :cry:, I do find it odd that he pulled you over for just having the lights. I thought that it was only illegal if you ran them :?: . If you still want to run the Ecto without a high risk of being imprisoned, you may try replacing the blue/red lenses with yellow/orange lenses. I wonder if there is some kind of permit that you can attain in your state/city that would allow you to possess the lights but not run them unless parked or on private property? It seems odd, because sometimes you will see antique police cars, ambulances, fire vehicles, etc. and I'm wondering if they have written permission to have the lights. It was probably some paranoid cop who thought that if he let you guys go and there was an accident, it would be his a$$.
By RoboProp
Yeah, that's a bummer bro. Sounds like the cop didn't get his donut that morning.

Derail is correct, you might need to acquire a special permit.

Check out the DMV website and see if there's any info regarding your type of vechicle.

Darrin
By Ecto96
I was in our local mall last night with full equipment on, and EctoStang sitting out in the lot with her lights going. Several security guards said it was cool and they were cool with me hanging out, so I got my picture taken with alot of people, a few girls got my phone number (which was awesome as they were DAMN cute) and then a guard who I'd talked to a couple times walks up to me and asked me to not wear my equipment, saying her boss said it was a distraction and causing a scene that was causing people to bunch up. Really it wasn't, and out of the shops of the mall I can't see a problem with that, but I was a good moocow (which is what the politicians like, you know, non-self thinking livestock) and walked to the other side of the mall, taking my time cuz Ecto was on the other side, then just went home, but still had a good time. She apologized for ruining my fun and I said "No it's cool, don't need em being nervous, was getting ready to leave anyways" Kinda sucks though.. Get one asshole and all the fun's ruined.
By uscm buzz
Ok the light debate again.. Guys each state is different.. the only real advise that is true is to check your state rules and regulations regarding these issues.. its that simple..no way around it..

Now I asked my dad which is a former police chief about this just because I was too lazy to look it up at the time.. now please remember laws change all the time..my dad could be mistaken.. and none of it matters if you get a prick officer..

Ok heres how it is in TX..
in most cases.. the yellow amber lights are legal.. to run whenever the hell you want too.. they actually signify commercial vehicle in some states... But if a cop decides to be an ass.. well.. he is God afterall.. your screwed..

Red Lights are for emergency vehicles.. Thats why fire , ambulance, and cops got em.. Red is a deffinite NO NO here.. yea the USF ECto got em.. and I got red for my ecto.. but even if I mount them.. I wont light them..

Ok now blue lights your gonna love this one.. Cops use blue lights along with red correct.. Blue lights are for water saftey.. anyone authorized to enforce the "Water Saftey Act" uses the blue lights.. now last I checked.. most cops are inland.. so what the F**K

and most of them dont even know what the blue lights are for.. I am trying to find out how to obtain certification for something along those lines.. I know gamewardens and coast gaurd and most sherrffs depts do it.. basically if they got a boat and check boats for life jackets etc.. thats all water safey act stuff..

But most cops think they know the law.. even if they dont.. so without some document to show them.. that says.. screw you I'm legal.. suck it.. well your at there mercy..
Last edited by uscm buzz on October 7th, 2006, 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By irricanian
You know some peoples primary focus in life is to take the fun out of everything! I mean come on, you're in an Ectomobile dressed up as a Ghostbuster! What's the cop thinking? You're running a business without a license :lol: It's pretty obvious what your doing....trying to have fun in this far too serious world. Some people need to lighten up and stop being killjoys!!!!

Now I don't have an Ecto mobile but when I'm trooping in my full Sandtrooper armor with my BFG Lewis T-21 I can honestly say I have not come across 1 cop yet thats given me a hard time about the "gun" I guess common sense takes over and they put two and two together- Sandtrooper + Gun = a guy having fun with his hobby, thats all! You would think the same with your Ecto situation!

Usually they want their picture taken! I only wish I could find the pic of me getting handcuffed up against the Police cruiser :P

Irri
By Radar
1965Ambulance wrote: if he ever saw us driving around town again, a warrant would be issued for my arrest and the car would be impounded.

Are you sure it was an actual cop and not just a security guard? Any cop with sense would know that they don't need a warrant to nail somebody on the street. Warrants take time. If he did that, you'd be long gone before he even got to the police station to start filing paperwork. Security guards, on the other hand, love flaunting that kind of talk because it's scary and makes them appear to know what they're talking about. At the very worst, having blue lights on the car would score you a ticket and a court appearance, I would think.

I'm also a little suspicious of the "impersonating a police officer" charge. If I'm not mistaken, getting slapped with a serious charge like that would have to involve engaging in cop-like behavior, such as pulling over other cars. I don't think the lights alone would be enough to get you in trouble for that. I dressed up as a policeman for Halloween '03, even going so far as to get the uniform from a real cop. He never warned me about being careful, not wearing it in public, etc. If impersonation charges could come down a guy dressed as a Ghostbuster, don't you think a 20-year veteran officer would've warned me about dressing up as a very realistic cop? I think the "cop" was pulling your chain.

However, it IS best to check with local laws before running any kind of lights. I know it seems stupid to think of an ECTO-1 as looking like an emergency vehicle, but blue lights are very powerful in our society...

By the way, you weren't cheering for Georgia by any chance were you? If so...well, there's always next year. Go Vols! :P
By Ecto96
Of course an Ectomobile is an emergency vehicle! It's an EPERV! an Ecto-Plasmic-Emergency-Response-Vehicle! :lol:!!!

But.. Don't ever call it an Eperv like that.. That's like.. Progressive's pervs.. yowch. Anybody wanna tweak that?
By matt1466
You just ran into the 1% of police officers who really like their authority and think everybody should know about it too.

That "impersonating a police officer" crap would never fly in court unless like mentioned earlier, you were attempting to stop vehicles, setting up a license checkpoint, etc. I'd love to hear an officer in court testifying about arresting a Ghostbuster.

I sorry to say that some of us cops shouldn't be on the job because of behavior like this. Usually these guys end up with excessive force complaints or worse.

All that being said, the officers do have the authority to arrest you for almost anything and the trouble that causes you defending yourself in court is not worth the hassle. Politely tell the officer to have a nice day and go about your business. Check your local laws and look for an exemption for your Ecto, there's a loophole somewhere.
By sonicblaster59
well, one cannot ignore the fact that this cop is right. It IS illegal to have police lights on private vehicles. The cop may have acted like a jerk but he is right.

Now there are ways around this, "light covers". I believe the owner of the Ecto-1A replica said that he was pulled over too and told the same thing. So he got "lightbar covers" and that solved that problem. Then he only took them off at events and whatnot. HOpe that helps.
By Kingpin
sonicblaster59 wrote: well, one cannot ignore the fact that this cop is right. It IS illegal to have police lights on private vehicles. The cop may have acted like a jerk but he is right.

Now there are ways around this, "light covers". I believe the owner of the Ecto-1A replica said that he was pulled over too and told the same thing. So he got "lightbar covers" and that solved that problem. Then he only took them off at events and whatnot. HOpe that helps.

That's about the size of it. You guys have likely seen the odd vehicle with a black cover with 'Out of service', or something along those lines printed on said cover, covering the lights. I can understand him pulling you over for that, as it's up to the interpretation of the law by the Cop. Some will obviously not be too worried, but some would be more strict in the matter.

Some police forces, as mentioned will clamp down on non emergency vehicles using blue and red lights... you should consult your local department and if need be, if you truely want to keep the screen accurate blue lights... purchase said lamp cover.

The charge of impersonating an emergency vehicle feels trumped up... but a little understandable, could be you met one of the Policemen who hasn't seen Ghostbusters. However it's obvious most people wouldn't confuse your Ecto for a real emergency vehicle.

The siren likely falls into a similar category, however unless it's subject to state law... vehicles using a PA system (Which you were playing the music out of) weren't illegal, especially how much they're used in political promotional events and commercial promotion. But just check the details.

It may also be worth, just letting your local police know you have a replica for promotional stuff only, so that if they see it on the streets it's just to do fun stuff.

But impersonating a police office would require a uniform, and acting like a policeman.

I suggest should it happen again with the same cop (If he's a real cop), take down his name and badge number.

However, I'm not an expert in this, simply relaying the bits I've heard batted around by people I feel I can trust in these matters.
By uscm buzz
Hey dont say there has to be a loop hole.. there might not be in the state he lives in.. you can review the law and hope to find a loop whole.. ha ha.. ... the law is the law.. and the problem in alot of cases is the interpretation of the law of the officer.. and alot of them have the GOD complex that you will repect there authoritae..

In Tx we can run Amber lights only.. legally.. Red, Blue or white is illlegal.. but in some states Amber aint legal..Also some states say can have lights on.. and others say..cant have them mounted running or not running dont matter..that would suck.. and I have been complaining that all I can run is Amber.. well thank god for that..
By darthviper77
when i converted the front nose on my 84 trans am to a knight rider conversion i had a red light on the front.they stoped me and said the same thing about if i see it on between here and my house they were going to take me to jail for impersonating a police officer too.i took it off and when i went to court about it they dropped it.so i just put a amber one on so it looks like the evil twin of kitt.(karr).havent been stopped yet but i havent run it on the main highway either.
By Kingpin
darthviper77 wrote: when i converted the front nose on my 84 trans am to a knight rider conversion i had a red light on the front.they stoped me and said the same thing about if i see it on between here and my house they were going to take me to jail for impersonating a police officer too.i took it off and when i went to court about it they dropped it.so i just put a amber one on so it looks like the evil twin of kitt.(karr).havent been stopped yet but i havent run it on the main highway either.

Well, I don't think you needed to remove it... I would've just recommended not running it while driving as it would be a distraction... supposedly impersonating a police officer or not.
deadderek liked this
By Chace
Well in this case in Georgia the Cop is NOT right, you CAN have blue, red, purple, amber, clear, or green lights on ANY car over 25 years old if used as a show, restoration, movie replica, or parade vehicle or if said vehicle was or could have been equipped with those lights. As far as hearses, combonations, or ambulances go unless it's not older than 25 years (the 65 certainly is) ANY color light may be equipped on said vehicle.

The only caviat is that they may not be used on public roadways unless during a parade. They can only be turned on on private property for testing purposes or during car shows.

I live in Ga. as well, I own a 1981 Caddy Hearse, and have owned a '74 hearse and '68 Combo and one of my best friends owned a '65 hightop ambulance so we became VERY framiliar with the law.

My advice, f---- him. If he wants to ticket or arrest you just point out the ACTUAL law and it'll be thrown out of court.

I once had a cop hassle me about the (original) blue lights in the grill on my 1968 combo, he fined me and we went to court....I showed the registration proving the age of the vehicle to the judge and he threw it out, after berating the cop about wasting the courts time.
DmsdyMachn liked this
By Daecrist
The best thing you can do is just know the law in your area.

The Indy Ghostbusters went to the Indy tree lighting last November. Towards the end of the evening we were walking through the Circle Center mall to get to our cars (we'd all parked in the garages below the mall) and people were stopping us for photos and to compliment our costumes. Well then a security guard comes up and claims that we have to leave the premises because we're "scaring people." Scaring people my ass.

Luckily my dad was with us at the time taking photographs, and my dad also just so happens to be an attorney. Attorney > mall security guard, but we've made it a point not to go in there if it isn't Halloween or a con in town just because the guards were such dicks.
By jettajeffro
The security guards at a club wouldn't let me into their costume contest once stating that if my pack was damaged they didn't want the possibility of me trying to sue to them to pay for any damage done to it. Even worse is that they were turning away other people too with awesome costumes stating the same kind of reason. I guess I could understand but it seemed more like a conspiricy since I took everything off and went inside and all the winners had the worst costumes ever. Probably didn't want anyone else to even have a chance.
By malcolmhoaz
jettajeffro wrote: The security guards at a club wouldn't let me into their costume contest once stating that if my pack was damaged they didn't want the possibility of me trying to sue to them to pay for any damage done to it. Even worse is that they were turning away other people too with awesome costumes stating the same kind of reason. I guess I could understand but it seemed more like a conspiricy since I took everything off and went inside and all the winners had the worst costumes ever. Probably didn't want anyone else to even have a chance.

Let me guess....the winners were wither store bought costumes or half naked women
deadderek liked this
By jettajeffro
Yup. I'm sure I'll experience it again at least once this year somewhere.
Ok, so I was almost arrested for being a ghostbuster… well sort of, so I live by a state police station, Pennsylvania state police to be specific and I was filming a little skit on their property, almost instantly 7 police officers come out of the building and ask me what I’m doing, I calmly answer them that I’m just filming a skit and I accidentally pointed it at one of the officers without knowing it and he wasn’t too happy about it, he thought it was cool in all but he informed me that from a distance that could be mistaken as a real gun… what are your thoughts guys? Could a proton pack be mistaken as a real weapon from far away or does every neutrona wand look very different than a real gun? :eyeroll:
By timeware
I don't want to sound like a jerk here but the cops had every right to check out what you were doing. Did you call ahead of time to see if you could film, or did you just pull up in full Ghostbusters regalia and start filming? Honestly, I think you got off lucky here. I don't think any trained officer would ever confuse a real gun for the proton pack but I also think pulling a stunt like this is kind of wreckless.
Showing up to a police station wearing a military style flight suit wasn't smart. Sorry dude. Playing the worlds smallest violin here.
By timeware
Cops are pretty much on high alert right now. Don't be the Ghostbuster that becomes a ghost.

I'd suggest if you wish to make future films at the police department to send a thank you letter to the police officers that let you do it. Who knows? A little thank you might open the doors for future opportunity. Next time you could even get some officers to participate, or work together to do some community events.
Last edited by Kingpin on January 30th, 2023, 5:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.Reason: Removed unnecessary/controversial remark
Ok, I have a question does anyone know the legality of the blue rotating lights in Pennsylvania? I’m making an ecto to take to New York for ghostbusters day and I’m wondering if they’re legal to put on the car, just not run them? Let me know!! :):love:
By deadderek
LoudoggPROTON927 wrote: March 10th, 2023, 9:49 pm Ok, I have a question does anyone know the legality of the blue rotating lights in Pennsylvania? I’m making an ecto to take to New York for ghostbusters day and I’m wondering if they’re legal to put on the car, just not run them? Let me know!! :):love:
You can use a search engine (such as Google) on the internet to look up such information. If you don't feel like that, a great idea would be to call your local police station to ask about it. If you are taking your vehicle across different states make sure to look into their laws as well. Hope that helps.
Kingpin liked this

While waiting impatiently for Frozen Empire to rel[…]

Make it that pack, sell it for $599. (While I […]

Yeah, we've been building this thing for ten[…]

Someone on FB found it. NARDA ELECTROMAGNETIC RADI[…]