Discuss all things Ghostbusters here, unless they would be better suited in one of the few forums below.
THE WHAT:

"For our Ghostbusters fans!
finally available now!
$20. Free Shipping inside the US
We did this for all the fans that have been asking over and over again.."where's the other versions of Savin The Day? We did do a bunch for the movie and low and behold
..we found the 15 IPS tapes of the mixes from over 30 years back. We brought them to Cove City Sound and had them baked in order to retreive the audio
and transfer it to digital so you guys could finally get a hold of these tracks. We did it for you. Also special thanks to Richie Cannada and Cove City Sound."

THE WHERE:
http://www.alessibros.com/AOL-EPK/SubPages/News.htm

THE WHO:

THE LYRICS AND TRACK LIST:

Spread the word! These guys went to a lot of trouble, and considerable risk at losing the tracks altogether, to make these available!

More info coming soon...

Alex
[Pardon my delay, my power went out right after making the first post. Here is the promised additional info.]

THE RISKS:

Notice when they said "We had them baked in order to retrieve the audio..."

They mean that literally.

Baked.

In an oven.

Here's an article that talks more about the 'baking' process, with regards to movie sound effects... https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/ ... da/419454/

It talks about the degradation of old magnetic tapes, or "sticktion", and how raising their temperature in an oven can "reactivate magnetic bindings and reduce moisture so they'll play again."

But it's risky. There's a Star Wars documentary where even audio wizard Ben Burtt holds up a reel he accidentally melted and says, "You have to learn to bake them correctly. If they're left in too long, you end up with this interesting piece of art which used to be sound.”

So, just appreciate the risks that the Alessi Bros. ran in bringing these tracks back to life for us. They could literally have been lost forever.

Whew! I am so glad it worked!

Alex
Sav C liked this
THE PERSONAL ANECDOTE:

It was late October during the thirtieth anniversary of Ghostbusters, and over on Facebook I was given a mission by my pal Ronnie-- better known 'round these parts as FossilizedArt.

"Your mission... should you choose to accept it..."

He had just found a website with the email address of Bobby Alessi, and he wanted me to ask if the movie version of the tracks had ever been released on a different album.

I happily obliged, and two days later-- on Hallowe'en 2014, no less-- I got a reply which said those tracks were oft requested, and they hoped someday to offer them.

Flash forward to this year. Within the past fortnight, Ronnie tagged me in a post on Facebook by a guy named Lars K., of Norway, who was seeking information about the brands of hardhats worn in GB2. Lars and I struck up some nice conversations about obscure prop searches, and soon became FB friends.

Yesterday afternoon, Lars asked out of the blue if I had the different versions of Savin' the Day. I said no, but shared the anecdote of the email exchange, and added that I didn't know if anything had ever come of it.

Lars then informed me that the Alessi Bros. HAD released the alternate versions, and linked me to their website.

My computer was going super-slow, so rather than scroll through all the posts, I did a Ctrl+F and typed in the word 'ghostbusters', which gave me four entries.

One of them said Q&A, and I clicked on it...

http://www.alessibros.com/AOL-EPK/Ghost ... %20Q&A.htm

Imagine my delight to find that they used our 2014 emails for the explanation of why the soundtrack and movie versions sound different.

Follow the link to read how Ivan Reitman requested additional elements to sculpt the song to the action of the original movie!

Very cool read, and needless to say it was the icing on the cake for Ronnie and myself.

Getting the tracks released is the cake, of course. But being on their site is a nice little added bonus.

Alex
Cool story, Alex! Yeah, baking old tapes is an interesting process. I had to have a bunch of old pre-VHS video reels baked a few months ago.
EddieSpenser wrote:All right! Now I wish the same could be done with Hall & Oath's version of the Ghostbusters theme...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFxTOfqJ06M
That's actually Hughes-Thrall. Glenn Hughes was a bassist for Deep Purple .
Got this album a while back and love it. Thought it was a great touch that they personalized and autographed the CD case too!
EddieSpenser wrote:All right! Now I wish the same could be done with Hall & Oath's version of the Ghostbusters theme...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFxTOfqJ06M
That's not Hall and Oates. It's Pat Thrall and Glenn Hughes.

And yes, it needs to be done! I'd love to hear this song. I think someone had contacted them a while back and they said that all of the tapes were destroyed or lost or something though. I remember the outcome seeming extremely bleak.

EDIT: This post has more info...

viewtopic.php?t=24130

Sounds like they may still have it but are legally not allowed to release it.
Alex Newborn wrote:It talks about the degradation of old magnetic tapes, or "sticktion", and how raising their temperature in an oven can "reactivate magnetic bindings and reduce moisture so they'll play again."
That's fascinating! I never knew they did that.
Alex Newborn wrote:Follow the link to read how Ivan Reitman requested additional elements to sculpt the song to the action of the original movie!
I always thought the version used in the movie seemed to be mickey-mousing to the picture. It's cool they found the original tapes and didn't have to take the dialogue out with a computer!
Doctor Venkman wrote:I think someone had contacted them a while back and they said that all of the tapes were destroyed or lost or something though. I remember the outcome seeming extremely bleak.
I heard something similar about the tapes for the score of GBII. Personally I think some of the GBII score tapes are still around, because if you listen to the remade GBII trailer (for the 2014 Bluray) you can hear part of the score come in at one point. It doesn't have any sound effects or voices over it, even though I'm pretty sure it does in the movie.
Sav C wrote:Personally I think some of the GBII score tapes are still around, because if you listen to the remade GBII trailer (for the 2014 Bluray) you can hear part of the score come in at one point. It doesn't have any sound effects or voices over it, even though I'm pretty sure it does in the movie.
The score must exist because a couple of cues can be heard during the GB II making of doc on the blu-ray.
Sav C liked this
pferreira1983 wrote:
Sav C wrote:Personally I think some of the GBII score tapes are still around, because if you listen to the remade GBII trailer (for the 2014 Bluray) you can hear part of the score come in at one point. It doesn't have any sound effects or voices over it, even though I'm pretty sure it does in the movie.
The score must exist because a couple of cues can be heard during the GB II making of doc on the blu-ray.
Good to know!
pferreira1983 liked this
Just came across this the other week and ordered myself a copy. It's great! As a bonus, without asking, the brothers personally autographed the CD cover.

Also, they have a separate offer to get instrumental versions of the song (karaoke style). I know some of you guys that load songs onto your custom packs may have an interest in that as well.

Any idea when you might get the Goggle metallic la[…]

Be careful removing the Hasbro weathering using […]

Are these autographs legit?

This is over a month old, but none of the four sig[…]

Charlesworth Dynamics Trap Build

Hi All, The Trap is coming on, I've nearly finish[…]