By dartdemon340
Anyone have a unused gearbox assembly from a Rubies Trap? I'd like to 3d model it in Solidworks and print it out. I can add a motor, gearing, limit switches and a Arduino to handle the logic.

Be a nice to just drop these into the Spirit Traps since the Rubies are extremely scarce lately and Spirits are a dime a dozen and still can be bought in store.
By joezlo
I couldn't find one; but I have another thread about my wireless Spirit Trap. I used the pre existing parts, two 5 volt relays, two small cabinet solenoids, & a 4f latching wireless receiver to get the doors to open automatically.

I'm currently building an RGB style foot pedal for it, but with more movie aesthetics.

The biggest issue is battery power:

Each solenoid requires a bank of 4 9volts in series to make the solenoid work due to amperage draw.

I have yet to find a feasible battery alternative that will fit inside the trap.

Believe it or not, the original electronics still function as is on the AA's, and the eight 9volts fit comfortably in the bottom of the trap ... ... as well as the additional 9 volt to power the rf receiver.

I digress: could not find rubies gear boxes - but if some one could make them to mod spirit traps it'd be much easier than what I did.
By dartdemon340
That's exactly my intentions. I'd like to make a nice little package to drop into spirit traps like it's supposed to be there. Quick and easy with out having to jump through hoops to make a opening and closing trap. Gear box assembly works great, so no sense in reinventing the wheel by creating an upside down bomb bay door mechanism.
By joezlo
I dunno your location, but there is a store in Delaware/Maryland that has 2 gearbox style traps - they posted in GBfans FB group - if I recall.
By dartdemon340
So modeling is almost done and almost ready to 3d print these. Nice little drop in assembly for the ever abundant Spirit Traps as the Walmart ones are almost non existent. I think the motor itself is 3 or 5 volts and cheap to buy. Just need to swap the actual bomb bay assembly with the gears from the spirit and drop into my housing and voila. I'll source the motor and some gears for the gearbox and limit switches are a dime a dozen. I'll create a simple board with the logic so a pedal can be used to just send voltage to the motor like the Walmart and open and close it with a pedal press / release. Time to motorize these spirit traps with little effort as the gearbox works fairly well.

Actual assembly parts for reference.
LeoCor Replicas liked this
By LeoCor Replicas
dartdemon340 wrote: November 12th, 2023, 4:57 pm So modeling is almost done and almost ready to 3d print these. Nice little drop in assembly for the ever abundant Spirit Traps as the Walmart ones are almost non existent. I think the motor itself is 3 or 5 volts and cheap to buy. Just need to swap the actual bomb bay assembly with the gears from the spirit and drop into my housing and voila. I'll source the motor and some gears for the gearbox and limit switches are a dime a dozen. I'll create a simple board with the logic so a pedal can be used to just send voltage to the motor like the Walmart and open and close it with a pedal press / release. Time to motorize these spirit traps with little effort as the gearbox works fairly well.

Actual assembly parts for reference.
Dude, color me excited for this. This looks seriously awesome.

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]

I read Back in Town #1. Spoilers : Hate to b[…]

I'd really like to see the new t-shirt unlocks tra[…]