Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
Alphagaia wrote:Can someone explain why McKenna wasn't even nominated and how Wolfhard won that one? Not saying he is a bad actor, but he sure as hell wasn't the best young actor in Afterlife and that list.
Only thing I could think of is not enough votes for her from their academy/board for whatever reason. Not an age thing since one of the other nominees was Jacob Tremblay who's 16 who's the same age as McKenna Grace.
Alphagaia wrote: October 29th, 2022, 11:25 pm
mrmichaelt wrote: October 29th, 2022, 11:14 pm Finn Wolfhard won a Saturn Award for Young Actor in a Film for his role in Afterlife.
https://ghostbustersnews.com/2022/10/29 ... rformance/
Can someone explain why McKenna wasn't even nominated and how Wolfhard won that one? Not saying he is a bad actor, but he sure as hell wasn't the best young actor in Afterlife and that list.
I can explain. See a lot of “awards” in Hollywood are bullshit. Most of them in fact. They are bought & paid for by agencies, PR departments and studios. The Golden Globes was like this for about 98% of its existence.

I mean…most of the MTV movie awards used to be completely bought & paid for. Hell one year New Line paid for an entire new category and Ghostbusters was somehow nominated. Actually, Slimer was nominated i think. It was something like, “Best Special Effect Character”. If memory serves? The nominees were Slimer(or was it Mr. Stay Puft? It was one of ‘em) Dobby the House Elf & Gollum. Gollum “won” and actually accepted the award “live” on stage. A full CGI character. Which meant he had to have been animated and rendered and all that months in advance. Unsurprisingly that category never appeared again.
deadderek, mrmichaelt liked this
YHS posted their Eric Reich interview.

-opens with anecdotes about family
-3 min. - talk about NYCC
-talk about Egon and the CG work
-giving a Kim a stern talking to about the infamous ice cream break photo
-running up to people during filming and asking them to delete the photos they were taking
-running up the aisle at NYCC telling people to turn off their phones
-one of Rudd's friends lives near H&L, so that's why he filmed the announcement video he's in the cast
-did confirm "Ghostbusters: Afterlife" wasn't decided on until the end of principal
-there were other titles considered
-Ray's scene in Ray's Occult was much longer
Alphagaia, Davideverona liked this
mrmichaelt wrote: November 16th, 2022, 1:19 am YHS posted their Eric Reich interview.

-opens with anecdotes about family
-3 min. - talk about NYCC
-talk about Egon and the CG work
-giving a Kim a stern talking to about the infamous ice cream break photo
-running up to people during filming and asking them to delete the photos they were taking
-running up the aisle at NYCC telling people to turn off their phones
-one of Rudd's friends lives near H&L, so that's why he filmed the announcement video he's in the cast
-did confirm "Ghostbusters: Afterlife" wasn't decided on until the end of principal
-there were other titles considered
-Ray's scene in Ray's Occult was much longer
Looks like an interesting thing to listen ☺ something about Firehouse?

As a huge Ghostbusters fan I'll never forget how excited I was when I received the email invite to the NYC screening. After 30 years of waiting we finally had a Ghostbusters "3", and to see it along with the stars sitting a couple rows below? *chef's kiss*

What I didn't like? How much last minute hotel rooms and flights cost. Yikes. :P
One time, Kingpin liked this
Alphagaia wrote: November 21st, 2022, 8:55 am
mrmichaelt wrote: November 19th, 2022, 4:26 pm Woot, 1 year anniversary!
3 likes. On a Gbforum. I am appalled people!
This makes me miss pre-social media internet so much. I absolutely love how I can easily and quickly pull up posts from 1-2 decades ago and see old threads as if they were made yesterday.

Can't do that as easily on Facebook that's for damn sure. Or even see all the comments on a post after a while. Someone deleted their profile? Poof their posts vanish too, now you can't see a full conversation.

It's fun to talk in real time about things on social media, but so much conversation gets lost so quickly...I wish forums were as popular as they use to be.
jonogunn liked this
So like one does on the holidays, I was skimming through the TV guide on my parents' TV and noticed Afterlife is on the STARZ TV channel (though my parents nor I subscribe to STARZ but it's nice to know it's finally on cable TV).

I looked on their site
https://www.starz.com/us/en/schedule/STZ1/2022/11/25

It's being played on blast. And going down to the bottom of the page, you can download a pdf of the whole month's schedule. The earliest Afterlife was played was November 4. I have not found an site that keeps an archive of these pdfs and Internet Archive wasn't much help.

Now, I know STARZ started streaming Afterlife back on May 18 but does anyone know when it started airing on the STARZ TV channel? I don't recall it being reported anywhere. I tried contacting customer support so we'll see if they bother answering.

Anyone notice it on the TV schedule sooner than November 4? If anyone as any info/insight, I'm all ears.

EDIT: Ok, the rep told me the TV debut was May 16, 2022... guess it was the same as their streaming date.
deadderek liked this
mrmichaelt wrote: November 28th, 2022, 1:16 amhttps://mobile.twitter.com/extraplasm/s ... 5036971008

If you own a Ghostbusters Mini Puft NFT from Big Head HQ, the final Masterclass Session your NFT grants you access to is an Afterlife Watch Party on Zoom with Jason Reitman and Gil Kenan on December 12, 9 am Pacific. Owners can register via Big Head's Discord Server.
Oh HELL yes. I'm in. I won one of the first ones.
mrmichaelt, Alphagaia liked this
mrmichaelt wrote: November 28th, 2022, 1:41 am
deadderek wrote: November 28th, 2022, 1:25 am Oh HELL yes. I'm in. I won one of the first ones.
Tell us all the secrets they spill (and please record if possible). ;)
On it! Can't believe something would happen over a year later, but I'll take it!

Alphagaia liked this
Alphagaia wrote: December 7th, 2022, 1:08 am Bring your LEGO Firehouse and ask them to recreate a scene from the new movie!
I'm a grown ass man...what makes you think I play with LEGOs?

*shuffles nervously and shuts closet door*
Alphagaia, zeta otaku, mrmichaelt and 2 others liked this
Alphagaia wrote: December 25th, 2022, 9:14 am So far it's not very revealing, but I'm only halfway in. It's more a promotion of her music career, honestly.

I wish the guys from YHS did follow up questions. If McKenna drops a hint a whole plotline was removed, YOU ASK WHICH ONE!!!!
Yeah exactly! Like what plot point!!!! (I think it may be the cornfield proton pack thing?)

But stick with the video. It's actually a very cool interview. My respect for Grace shot up immensely (loved her anyway). She is really a massive GB fan (even before Afterlife). The interview really shows they gave a huge Ghostbusters fan an actual dream present in being the lead in a Ghostbusters movie. Love her to bits.
DancingToaster liked this
Davideverona wrote: December 25th, 2022, 9:06 am Does she mentions Firehouse?
Just some general things like she and Logan want to rewatch Afterlife together as prep, she's confident in Gil, and some joking around about making up news about "Firehouse". She did reveal some props she stole from the Afterlife set and things she did with Logan (one that sounded like pure torture for the crew). It's overall just a fun listen/watch. She's the greatest.

Alphagaia wrote: December 25th, 2022, 9:14 am I wish the guys from YHS did follow up questions. If McKenna drops a hint a whole plotline was removed, YOU ASK WHICH ONE!!!!
Yeah, she said almost the same exact thing in I think it was an EW interview (EDIT: Nope it was Collider on 11/15/21). But I'd wager it's either the popcorn thing or Callie smashing the P.K.E. Meter after the argument. EDIT: Or maybe there's more of her being bullied beyond that shot of the chips being blasted at her. The actors who played those kids were in the credits yet had no real presence in the movie.
Alphagaia wrote: December 25th, 2022, 9:14 am So far it's not very revealing, but I'm only halfway in. It's more a promotion of her music career, honestly.

I wish the guys from YHS did follow up questions. If McKenna drops a hint a whole plotline was removed, YOU ASK WHICH ONE!!!!
Right?

It really bums me out we haven’t seen a script come out. I know waaay back in the day when I had my old job no one knew “Rust City” was the code name so I wonder if that’s why we haven’t seen one even leak yet. No one knew it was a Ghostbusters 3 script. I thought we’d see Sony release it last year around awards time or on Deadline since that’s become a thing. Spider-Man No Way Home had the script released. Perhaps somethings in there relating to a sequel?

Everytime I see Mckenna Grace I get more and more impressed by her performance in Afterlife. I don’t mean this in a mean way but there isn’t a shred of Pheobe anywhere on her. Mckenna seems bubbly and outgoing, the polar opposite to Phoebe. Meanwhile Logan Kim was very much like his character. I think she was really overlooked.

I rewatched Afterlife yesterday and something clicked for me that hadn’t in previous outings. It’s still a hot mess in the final act but I enjoyed it a lot more. I think the problematic ending and the GB’s showing up kinda play a trick on the viewer. It’s so overwhelming see the guys again, so jarring almost, that you kinda forget about the real movie.

The key character to unlocking the movie for me wasn’t the kids or the GB’s. It was Carrie Coon. This poor mother at the end of her rope with 2 kids to look after. There’s a sadness there but also a resilience & strength. Plus how good is her delivery of “there better be a bar” lol. She’s witty as hell.

And…I kind of have a bit of a crush on her. Her chemistry with Paul Rudd? Wow. Off the charts. I could watched just a movie with those two courting each other.
DancingToaster liked this
RichardLess wrote: December 25th, 2022, 11:28 pm Everytime I see Mckenna Grace I get more and more impressed by her performance in Afterlife. I don’t mean this in a mean way but there isn’t a shred of Pheobe anywhere on her. Mckenna seems bubbly and outgoing, the polar opposite to Phoebe. Meanwhile Logan Kim was very much like his character. I think she was really overlooked.

I rewatched Afterlife yesterday and something clicked for me that hadn’t in previous outings. It’s still a hot mess in the final act but I enjoyed it a lot more. I think the problematic ending and the GB’s showing up kinda play a trick on the viewer. It’s so overwhelming see the guys again, so jarring almost, that you kinda forget about the real movie.

The key character to unlocking the movie for me wasn’t the kids or the GB’s. It was Carrie Coon. This poor mother at the end of her rope with 2 kids to look after. There’s a sadness there but also a resilience & strength. Plus how good is her delivery of “there better be a bar” lol. She’s witty as hell.

And…I kind of have a bit of a crush on her. Her chemistry with Paul Rudd? Wow. Off the charts. I could watched just a movie with those two courting each other.
I agree about McKenna's acting in the film; originally, she was apparently playing the role too drily and Jason wanted her to put more of her own personality in. For example, Phoebe's enthusiasm about her own jokes is charmingly funny. There's that great little moment when Podcast laughs at her polar bear joke, and she's so happy about it and responds that "it's a pretty hilarious joke..." That bubbly personality does come through a bit in moments like that, and it also reflects how Egon was in the originals (particularly GBII) without just making her a carbon copy.

As more time goes on, I think that Jason made the right choice to make this more of a Goonies-style 80s-esque film. The humor isn't the same type as in the originals, but its humorous moments are genuinely funny, and the movie has a lot of heart. It mostly struggles when bringing Gozer back in. Too much time is spent trying to shoehorn the whole Gozer/terror dog mechanic into the movie, resulting in weird plot holes and wasted time. A "simpler" villain, even like Ivo Shandor, would have worked just fine. The whole (sorely underdeveloped) backstory about the family and the team's breakup also involved some questionable choices, and I wish that Janine wasn't mostly written out of the movie.

Invisible Ghost Egon also had a bit more potential. I totally understand not wanting to overuse the character, but there were times when they could have used him a little more. For example, we know that he's in the room when Callie is about to get possessed by Zuul, but there's NO indication of a reaction/panic/anything? The closest the movie seems to get to that is when the kids walk in and find Zuul/Callie there, and the PKE meter switches on and goes to taser mode "by itself." I originally thought that it was just on because it was reacting to Zuul, but I think it only engages after the kids walk in (it was next to Callie the whole time), implying that Egon might have switched it on just then.
On February 16, Farid Sandoval who is an artist with MPC, posted early pre-production concept art of the flaming phantasm that is seen briefly outside Spinners when the waitress encounters the Miner Ghost.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CowA9cfu0iY/

Take a look at this early pre-production concept art of the fire ghost from Ghostbusters Afterlife! During this stage, the script was still being written and the team was free to explore wild and creative ideas. It's always an exciting time in the film-making process when everything is still up in the air and anything is possible. As a concept artist, this is my favorite stage of movie making because it allows me to push the boundaries of what's possible and bring imaginative ideas to life.
The local Walmart keeps restocking the Afterlife branded juice boxes.

I feel it's a bit strange that of all the promotional tie in items that this one is still ongoing. I figured Stay Puft Marshmallows would have been the last to leave the shelves.
mrmichaelt liked this

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]

I read Back in Town #1. Spoilers : Hate to b[…]

I'd really like to see the new t-shirt unlocks tra[…]