7/18/22 - The LED for the vent light that came with the electronics kit was a single, diffused 5mm LED. I wanted to mount that in a white box to help bounce around its light. Again going through my boxes of junk I found an old headset I'd used back when I worked at KGUN-TV in Tucson in the early 90s. I cut open the cover, painted the inside white, and glued in the LED.
The bar graph LEDs with the kit were a bit of a kludge. The developer simply stuck the rectangular LEDs into a ribbon cable connector. The first problem was that, with all 15 slots filled with LEDs, it was too long for the opening on the thrower. It was a simple matter to just pull out the top two LEDs. That didn't affect the visual appearance. I would also have to chop off that end of the connector so it would fit into the box.
I had to fabricate the second, smaller light next to the vent. I cut off a chunk of a clear plastic BIC ballpoint pen, glued that to a piece of clear plastic, then sanded that down into a round-ish shape. I would then hot glue an LED up into the opening. Again, close enough. After working on this for 28 days I was getting impatient to finish the build.
For no apparent reason the kit doesn't have the bezel around the bar graph LEDs molded into the thrower box, so this was yet another piece I had to fabricate from scratch. I carefully cut it from a piece of sheet plastic.
I had to epoxy a piece of plastic to the ribbon connector side before gluing that into the main box.
The bar graph LED assembly was the last thing I had to glue into the main box. You can see the vent box glued into the top.
I didn't want to rely on just epoxy to fasten most of the parts, so on parts like this thrower tip I added a short length of threaded rod to add mechanical strength to that connection.