Discuss all things Ghostbusters here, unless they would be better suited in one of the few forums below.
prodestrian wrote: December 3rd, 2022, 5:53 am So, another mystery solved...but it's the wrong one. Sorry!
Well, as frustrated as I am that the 'Montalban' quote hasn't been found, I'm still going to celebrate prodestrian's excellent piece of tangential detective work.

Great job finding that Lost Horizons quote.

Alex
robbritton, Wafflerobot liked this
910dohead wrote: January 4th, 2023, 1:28 pm That is awesome detective work plus excellent discovery! Did you watch the whole picture listening for the Sedgewick line?
I had the whole script, I knew roughly where in the film it was. I'd watch the video for a bit, then find out whether the lines I was hearing were behind or ahead of the line I wanted. Took about 3 minutes to find it, I'm too impatient to watch the whole thing :lol:
Alex Newborn wrote: December 6th, 2022, 9:51 am I recapped the new discovery by Chris as a followup to my older videos from four years ago on this topic.

Alex
Fell a bit silly for saying this as it doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things, but although Chris clearly did all the actual hard work in isolating and identifying the Capra dialogue, the initial idea that the dialogue might be from the same scene as the Sedgewick was mine! It's just not often I do anything useful, is all!
prodestrian liked this
I always get so excited when a new post pops up in this thread...and then the crushing disappointment the line still hasn't been discovered. :(
Marcus B liked this
Eureka!!
deadderek wrote: January 5th, 2023, 9:36 am I always get so excited when a new post pops up in this thread...and then the crushing disappointment the line still hasn't been discovered. :(
Wait, "Eureka" means "I feel the same way as you", right? :lol:

(I apologise, sincerely :-P )

In all honesty this is probably going to be one of those threads I come back to every few months to waste extra hours on. It worked for the Containment Unit (Blue Bumper) label, so maybe we'll get lucky here too.

I even paid for a subscription to a TV Subtitles website so I could download the subtitles for all 7 seasons of Fantasy Island, so you could say I'm fully invested in this search :lol:
robbritton wrote: December 2nd, 2022, 9:03 am Here's a thing that may well be a dead end as usual! I was just working while I had the movie playing on my headphones and because I wasn't concentrating my brain was picking up stuff I don't usually hear, and I think the voice on Dana's TV before the Ghostbusters ad comes on could be Montalban (or whoever it is that sounds like him!) as well.
On a whim, I even checked a few SCTV skits featuring Eugene Levy impersonating Montalban, but I didn't find anything there either :lol::sigh:
mrmichaelt, prodestrian, robbritton and 1 others liked this
I looked through the wikipedia entries for Columbia films from 1930-1939, and the following have characters named "Barnes" or "Burns" or "Barney"

My Son is Guilty 1939 | Barney
it's all yours 1937 | Barnes
Lady from Nowhere 1936 | Barnes
If You Could Only Cook 1935 | Burns
The Westerner 1934 | Barnes
Cocktail Hour 1933 | Burns
Three Wise Girls 1932 | Barnes
The Good Bad Girl 1931 | Barnes

I'm about 3/4 of the way through "It's All Yours" and I don't think it's gonna be this one. I didn't find a script anywhere for it, so I've opted for the youtube "fast playback"
mrmichaelt, Wafflerobot liked this
sirphobos wrote: November 20th, 2023, 5:36 pm I looked through the wikipedia entries for Columbia films from 1930-1939, and the following have characters named "Barnes" or "Burns" or "Barney"

My Son is Guilty 1939 | Barney
it's all yours 1937 | Barnes
Lady from Nowhere 1936 | Barnes
If You Could Only Cook 1935 | Burns
The Westerner 1934 | Barnes
Cocktail Hour 1933 | Burns
Three Wise Girls 1932 | Barnes
The Good Bad Girl 1931 | Barnes

I'm about 3/4 of the way through "It's All Yours" and I don't think it's gonna be this one. I didn't find a script anywhere for it, so I've opted for the youtube "fast playback"
Did a quick search on a few TV/Movie script search engine, the one that worked the best was PopMystic (can filter results by year range).

I was able to search for 'the other side of the hill' and get Lost Horizon (1937) as a result (just wanted to make sure it really could go as far as the 30s).

I couldn't find anything for :
"rehearse our roles"
"reverse our roles"
"if so"
"you may be right"

Then I took one of your proposition (Lady from Nowhere), watched a clip on Youtube and searched for an exact quote to see if I would get a result.

I searched for "I'm afraid it was my fault" (said around the 10 min mark in the movie) and didn't get any results in the movie.

I know none of this helps - but just wanted to point out that it seems there's some movies missing in these databases, specially older movies.

I'm still optimistic that this will be identified someday, but while it may be old media, it might not be a movie. I don't think older TV shows are all properly transcribed and searchable.
Wafflerobot liked this
Glad to see the continued sleuthing going on in this thread.

I actually logged in just now to say that a heretofore unknown bit of info made its way to me tonight.

Ernie Hudson was in an episode of Fantasy Island. Season one, episode six.

While I massively doubt it would be from that episode, I am nonetheless trying to find a copy to watch.

Alex
frankov liked this

Yeah, we've been building this thing for ten[…]

Someone on FB found it. NARDA ELECTROMAGNETIC RADI[…]

It appears that some time today someone who […]

Correct, it grants several in fact the Melody's […]