For news, reviews, videos and general topics about Ghostbusters: The Video Game, and the newer apps on Android and iOS.
It surprises me the number of people in their late 30's - early 40's who are into gaming, but resist online multiplayer PvE or PvP titles. These titles have made huge advancements in the past 6-7 years and they're convenient for half hour sessions - which is welcome given work-life commitments at our age.
Threadender wrote:So, just to be clear as mud, there is no offline multiplayer? Because I really was hoping to play this with my daughter. She loves playing the TVG ever since she could hold the controller and this would have been another game for us to bond over.
If the game is worth it and you really wanted to... you could pick up a cheap PS4/XBOne second hand and then play together on separate devices. Split screen gaming just isn't very common in this genre (although Fortnite offers it) and it wouldn't work in a game of this type as it's hide-and-seek at it's core. The game is catering to much larger audience by committing to online PvE.
Chicken, He Clucked wrote: October 6th, 2022, 8:56 am It surprises me the number of people in their late 30's - early 40's who are into gaming, but resist online multiplayer PvE or PvP titles. These titles have made huge advancements in the past 6-7 years and they're convenient for half hour sessions - which is welcome given work-life commitments at our age.
I can maybe come up with a couple possible reasons why adults in their late 30s and early 40s aren't as keen to embrace online multiplayer/PVP games:

•There's still the persistent issue of immature teenagers who hurling all kinds of obscene abuse at other players, especially if that particular immature teenager happens to be losing.

•Some of these aforementioned-teenagers, and even adults can be incredibly poor sportsman, stealing kills and weapons/bonuses, screwing over other players who might be on the same team but aren't friends.

•Some people get excessively competitive, which wipes out the "casual" approach some people want in their gaming.

When a person chooses to play a game they want to relax and have fun, and I can perfectly understand why they'd be turned off by that stuff because I've experienced some of that very stuff.

I much prefer playing with my brothers... And our small circle of online-gaming friends because we get along, we work together, we're not particularly competitive, and it's a nice and generally-chilled evening.
Kingpin wrote: October 6th, 2022, 5:35 pm
Chicken, He Clucked wrote: October 6th, 2022, 8:56 am It surprises me the number of people in their late 30's - early 40's who are into gaming, but resist online multiplayer PvE or PvP titles. These titles have made huge advancements in the past 6-7 years and they're convenient for half hour sessions - which is welcome given work-life commitments at our age.
I can maybe come up with a couple possible reasons why adults in their late 30s and early 40s aren't as keen to embrace online multiplayer/PVP games:

•There's still the persistent issue of immature teenagers who hurling all kinds of obscene abuse at other players, especially if that particular immature teenager happens to be losing.

•Some of these aforementioned-teenagers, and even adults can be incredibly poor sportsman, stealing kills and weapons/bonuses, screwing over other players who might be on the same team but aren't friends.

•Some people get excessively competitive, which wipes out the "casual" approach some people want in their gaming.

When a person chooses to play a game they want to relax and have fun, and I can perfectly understand why they'd be turned off by that stuff because I've experienced some of that very stuff.

I much prefer playing with my brothers... And our small circle of online-gaming friends because we get along, we work together, we're not particularly competitive, and it's a nice and generally-chilled evening.
I’m in late 30’s and I only play online multiplayer competing games. Single player or offline stuff just doesn’t have the same kick to it
Chicken, He Clucked and -1 others liked this
Kingpin wrote: October 6th, 2022, 5:35 pm

Each to their own, and these are the main reasons a lot of my friends give, but in response I’d just say that… most (if not all) of these games have features which mitigate all of your complaints.

1. You can mute people. First thing I do most matches is mute anyone on my squad who is being noisy, abusive or is obv a kid / teen over mic.

2. Most games include in-game communication methods to allow teamwork without mic.

3. If you play enough and become familiar with the game it’s possible to play as if you were flying solo, either by carrying or supporting your team or ignoring them entirely. I’ve completed entire Fortnite seasons solo queueing with strangers I never speak to and it’s a ton of fun. A well-balanced game will limit unsportsmanlike behaviour though there can be blips and teething troubles initially.

4. Losing is no big deal. Matches are short so fire up another, and you still gain XP or can complete side challenges etc.

5. Human opponents are way more sophisticated and fun to play against than AI bots. This is one of the biggest draws.

For years these games have been a way to relax for me because I’m not trudging through some 100 hour open world, and my play session isn’t dictated by cut scene length and singleplayer story beats. They’re very easy to dip in and out of it with no time commitment.
It does get annoying with the drama from other people. I will most certainly agree with that which is why I automatically hit the mute button. Unfortunately, Star Trek Online doesn't have that option (that I'm aware of) and it's regrettable that someone loses their shit during missions. In most cases some of those kids that are playing drop more f bomb's then the adults.

I mainly solo on my own or if I'm playing Knights of the Old Republic I don't even pay attention to the chat box. Haven't tried fort night yet.
11 days out we still don’t have:

Ghost play mechanics reveal
Number of stages at launch
Number of ghosts at launch
Post-launch support planned
Previews and critic impressions
Confirmation of all preorder exclusives
(Eg. What is a “Special PKE meter”?)

I dunno if it’s just a stretched team overlooking the marketing… holding off for a major blowout next week / weekend… or if we need to be worried… the customisation options just sort of slipped out in an unedited video with little fanfare.

There’s a media event happening now, so…
Not long until we find out at least!
deadderek liked this
So far the private media event garnered one single social media impression from a Mike Futter:

So, if you’re a Ghostbusters fan or an asymmetrical multiplayer fan, you should be paying attention to @GhostbustersSU. @AmandaFarough and I just played a couple of rounds at the #GBSULaunch. It’s REALLY good. Lots of fun!! (Real Ecto-1 not included)

Hopefully more detailed coverage drops soon. :vinzclortho:
deadderek liked this
Chicken, He Clucked wrote: October 8th, 2022, 1:30 am Hopefully more detailed coverage drops soon. :vinzclortho:
We should prepare for the possibility we might not see anything more detailed than that, or the stuff we've seen up to this point.
While Spirits Unleashed is of high interest to us, it is rather niche on the broader market... Even more so than The Video Game back in 2008.
Because Spirits Unleashed isn't the next installment in the Fortnite, Halo, Legend of Zelda or Assassin's Creed series... It's not going to get nearly as much in-depth press coverage as those big guns in the video-gaming industry. :whatever:
This close to release I don’t care to see any more news. If the release was further away then sure.

I remember when the TVG was released. There was supposed to be a midnight launch at the GameStop for it and I was excited to go there and maybe meet some local fans. Sadly it got cancelled.

Also I just remembered that TVG is the reason I signed up for this forum and Afterlfie/prop building is what brought me back
deadderek liked this
Kingpin wrote: We should prepare for the possibility we might not see anything more detailed than that, or the stuff we've seen up to this point.
While Spirits Unleashed is of high interest to us, it is rather niche on the broader market... Even more so than The Video Game back in 2008.
Because Spirits Unleashed isn't the next installment in the Fortnite, Halo, Legend of Zelda or Assassin's Creed series... It's not going to get nearly as much in-depth press coverage as those big guns in the video-gaming industry. :whatever:
Agree that’s a possibility. It’s likely a small project with a small team and the budget has been allocated in other areas. But certainly gaming communities are aware it’s on the horizon. It’s still getting coverage on mainstream gaming forums where the main measure of success will be (beyond the fan service) is the game actually good and fun to play? And that’s still a consumer base they will want to attract.

For that reason I’d expect a robust marketing effort ahead of release to entice gamers who are on the fence or not familiar with the IP. Especially with a service game, you’d expect to hear about ongoing support too. Will there be a season pass? DLC? etc. The worry is a lack of communication at launch could be hiding a lack of launch content or other issues. It’s impossible to get a clear idea of what the preorder bonuses will be. The closer we get without an information dump the more nervous I get, although it all looks very promising.
deadderek liked this
Great that Jason specifically mentions gameplay.
Excited to see this potentially take off in gaming circles as similar asymmetric PvP games have.

There’s so much potential for ghosts, tech, season pass cosmetics (Afterlife, RGB, EGB, ATC, IDW, Kenner). Hope we see Muncher, Library Ghost, maybe something from RGB.

Could see season passes as a great way to introduce new ghosts and tech.
I'm wondering if I should pre-order this game on my Xbox One. Would you guys think that it is worth it? :whatever:
Threadender wrote:So, just to be clear as mud, there is no offline multiplayer? Because I really was hoping to play this with my daughter. She loves playing the TVG ever since she could hold the controller and this would have been another game for us to bond over.
If the game is worth it and you really wanted to... you could pick up a cheap PS4/XBOne second hand and then play together on separate devices. Split screen gaming just isn't very common in this genre (although Fortnite offers it) and it wouldn't work in a game of this type as it's hide-and-seek at it's core. The game is catering to much larger audience by committing to online PvE.
Not sure if you're implying that I'm against PVP/PVE play. Just wanted to see if it had some kind of split-screen setup. Hell, COD is still able to do split-screen. But the idea of buying another PS4 doesn't sound too bad, honestly. I just may get the game regardless and do the whole your-turn-until-you-die/round-is-over bit. :whatever: Not a complete deal breaker.
Threadender wrote: October 11th, 2022, 3:46 am

Not sure if you're implying that I'm against PVP/PVE play. Just wanted to see if it had some kind of split-screen setup. Hell, COD is still able to do split-screen. But the idea of buying another PS4 doesn't sound too bad, honestly. I just may get the game regardless and do the whole your-turn-until-you-die/round-is-over bit. :whatever: Not a complete deal breaker.
That’s how I play fall guys with my gf. I put a monitor on the coffee table and we play off my ps5 and ps4
Threadender liked this
GB news reports "Playing offline, Rookie Ghostbusters will be entered into Skirmish Mode, defaulted when no internet connection is found. While playing Skirmish, no data or stats will be saved, including story progression, but all in-game content will be unlocked."
https://ghostbustersnews.com/2022/10/13 ... onnection/

Jason also posted his recap video of the media event.
I'd like to say it's as simple as that but it's not. Realistically for those that live away from the city and occasionally rely on generators that kick on when the power goes out (especially during winter months) if the internet goes down it's nice to have a save feature offline. It happens.

Make it that pack, sell it for $599. (While I […]

Yeah, we've been building this thing for ten[…]

Someone on FB found it. NARDA ELECTROMAGNETIC RADI[…]

It appears that some time today someone who […]