Discuss all things Ghostbusters here, unless they would be better suited in one of the few forums below.
Hello all. Hope all is well. Today I’m going to talk about the new..ish GB2 documentary upcoming from the crew who gave us Cleanin Up the Town & some of my frustration with the process.

One of the most frustrating experiences we’ve had to endure as a fanbase, besides waiting for 3rd film, is the truly looong wait for the Bueno’s Ghostbusters documentary. I still remember the launch trailer from, what? 2007?

After years and years of delays the documentary was finally released and it’s by far the definitive GB “making of” documentary. It’s not even close. It was wonderful. Yet for me it was never the first film that got me excited about this project. It was the GB2 part of it. GB1 has been explored in a quite few making of’s and interviews. The sequel is far more fertile ground imo.

I think we can all safely say GBfans, this website, is the most active GB community on the internet. Maybe you could argue Reddit but this is the best place for die hard, true blue, deep seated GB fans.

I only mention this because the lack of communication with the producers, the Bueno’s is…disappointing? Frustrating? Maybe that’s too harsh. I guess what I’m saying is: It would be nice if they could give us fans *something*. A new trailer? A new clip? A new interview with them? Some tidbits, an ETA on a release date. Where they are in production? Something—anything. Especially if the rumours are true that we are still years away from seeing this thing. I know, I know, “all good things…” but it would really be nice if they were more active in the community just a tiny bit. From what I can tell, and forgive me if this is wrong, but from what I can gather…they aren’t active at all in the community. And that’s ok. They don’t have to be. But…would it hurt to visit every few months?

And look, I get it. They are busy. But the radio silence is deafening. The updates we seem to get are via intermediaries that know the Bueno’s or have some connection to the film. This was been incredibly appreciated. But hearing something from the proverbial horses mouth would go a looong way. Maybe stopping by to chat and check in with us fans from time to time? We, and me especially, are an impatient bunch.

I know they owe us absolutely nothing and they are legitimately the heroes here for doing this project at all in the first place. But as someone to danced the tango & foxtrot with death & faced his own mortality within the last year, I realize time is very precious. And thinking this could be 2+ years away before seeing anything from the film…it’s difficult.

So I ask you, those that know the Bueno’s. Please. Please Ask them to stop by when they get the chance. Maybe ask if they could give us GB2 junkies a little taste of the raw uncut pure primo footage from the documentary? Please. Just a taste. One hit. Something. Maybe a Q&A on this site/forum? I don’t know. Just…it would be nice to hear from them once in awhile.

Thanks.
SailorEcto92 liked this
I was at an event only 3 months ago where they were communicating with people all day long about it. You could talk to them for hours if you wanted to, they were only too willing to chat and share.

News has been shared, clips have been shown.

viewtopic.php?p=4969688#p4969688

And it looks bloody fantastic.
tobycj, robbritton liked this
UEF wrote: August 18th, 2022, 5:09 am I was at an event only 3 months ago where they were communicating with people all day long about it. You could talk to them for hours if you wanted to, they were only too willing to chat and share.

News has been shared, clips have been shown.

viewtopic.php?p=4969688#p4969688

And it looks bloody fantastic.
Right I get that. But that’s not really what I’m talking about. Not everyone can make it to an event and see those clips or talk to them. A relatively select few got to experience that.

What I’m talking about is here, on the internet. Not an in person event during a pandemic.
From the above linked thread:
The clip and trailer from Too Hot To Handle were great too, although we weren’t allowed to film them due to some licensing issues being assembly cuts. Suffice it to say, though, when it does come out it should be every inch the equal of the first one.
So, maybe Sony is the roadblock to them releasing footage or a trailer online. Who knows.
prodestrian wrote: August 18th, 2022, 5:25 am From the above linked thread:
The clip and trailer from Too Hot To Handle were great too, although we weren’t allowed to film them due to some licensing issues being assembly cuts. Suffice it to say, though, when it does come out it should be every inch the equal of the first one.
So, maybe Sony is the roadblock to them releasing footage or a trailer online. Who knows.
Exactly. This is my point. “Who knows” well I think we all know who might have some idea. The filmmakers! But it’s radio silence.

Is Sony causing problems? If so, why? Can we as fans do anything about it and help in any way? Again…a trailer or clip would be wonderful but that doesn’t really have to be it. Post here once in awhile maybe? Let us know how things are going? We are talking 5-10 minutes out of someone’s day just to update fans. I don’t think that’s unreasonable or asking a lot, is it? And if they don’t have an interest in doing that or there is a reason why they can’t, ok, then share that with us.

This was also an issue with the first documentary. We’d go months or years without hearing any word and then all of a sudden they do a kickstarter campaign. They’d put out updates on there every so often but that’s it.
I see what you mean. Like as a backer, we're entitled to periodic updates on Kickstarter aren't we? Throw us one bone a month sort of thing is a good compromise. 'We're post, we have about xx% done, did ___ today'

But on the flip side - who knows what they're going through. They are in post for it but started traveling again to do a few more interviews so I see why they've been quiet lately. Maybe they're just running on fumes. Or maybe too busy doing post and their regular jobs.
mrmichaelt wrote: August 18th, 2022, 8:54 pm I see what you mean. Like as a backer, we're entitled to periodic updates on Kickstarter aren't we? Throw us one bone a month sort of thing is a good compromise. 'We're post, we have about xx% done, did ___ today'

But on the flip side - who knows what they're going through. They are in post for it but started traveling again to do a few more interviews so I see why they've been quiet lately. Maybe they're just running on fumes. Or maybe too busy doing post and their regular jobs.
Yeah. I thought about that, perhaps they are going through something & it’s just a lot to juggle. But even that would be nice to know. “Hey, we’ve been quiet and we can’t really say why but just know everything’s on track and the work proceeds. Hopefully we can share something soon”. It took me less than a minute to type that and even just hearing that from them would be ok.

I do wonder if they are doing this documentary the same way and juggling a full time job on top of working on this but I remember Deadline.com actually wrote an entire article last year about the GB2 doc and how Randy Edelman was going to score it(is that still happening I wonder?) so this sequel documentary already feels a lot more “official” in that working on it might be what their time job is. I imagine they may have investors beyond kickstarter if they can commission a score from Randy Edelmann. Who knows?

One of the things I HOPE against HOPE is that the filmmmakers really dig into the work ILM did. I know Dennis Muren was interviewed. Maybe we can find out if ILM archived all the deleted bits with finished ILM composited material that didn’t make it into the movie. Cinefex somehow got a screenshot of finished Slimer FX in scenes that were cut. When Sony finally put some special features on blu rays of GB2 I thought “bingo! Finally! All those finished scenes” but nope. The Slimer footage included was really rough stuff. Where did all that stuff go? I could die a happy man if the documentary shows or even talks about all that stuff.
It literally took them how long to put out cleaning up the town? That documentary was completed in 2009 and was suppose to release so coincide with the GB1 anniversary. They shelved it for YEARS I think looking to get paid. When I finally saw it I was completely underwhelmed so I honestly couldn't care less if they come out with anything ever again. Nothing on that "documentary" was not already known to the gb community. I will say it was way better than that God awful Ghostheads documentary that made the community look like a bunch of psychos.
Venkman1984 wrote:It literally took them how long to put out cleaning up the town? That documentary was completed in 2009 and was suppose to release so coincide with the GB1 anniversary. They shelved it for YEARS I think looking to get paid.
It was originally going to be GB1 and GB2. In 2009, they were still traveling and interviewing cast and crew. Wasn't until 2016 when they went to Kickstarter to raise money to finish production and post then later that year they did more interviews, still tried to get Murray, and decided to split into two releases, one for each movie. Had some legalities to clear up, gave up on trying to use the Ghostbusters or Cleanin' up the Town songs, their distribution partner went belly up so they had to switch over to a new company. All in all, Part 1 essentially took 12 years.
Venkman1984 wrote:Nothing on that "documentary" was not already known to the gb community.
There were a couple new things and bts photos and better than any featurette out there before.
Last edited by Kingpin on August 20th, 2022, 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.Reason: Fixed quote coding
deadderek, robbritton liked this
Venkman1984 wrote: August 19th, 2022, 3:33 pm It literally took them how long to put out cleaning up the town? That documentary was completed in 2009 and was suppose to release so coincide with the GB1 anniversary. They shelved it for YEARS I think looking to get paid. When I finally saw it I was completely underwhelmed so I honestly couldn't care less if they come out with anything ever again. Nothing on that "documentary" was not already known to the gb community. I will say it was way better than that God awful Ghostheads documentary that made the community look like a bunch of psychos.
That needed some YHS Sad Comments music.

The documentary wasn’t shelved for profit. They had barely started interviews by 2009.

I’ll die on this hill— Cleanin’ Up the Town brought a ton of new stuff to light for the community. Dan’s proton pistol concepts, Dana auditions, Terror Dog stop motion tests, Bernstein’s hand-written sheet music, gobs of unpublished storyboards, concept art, costume designs, unit photography… I could go on and on.

Personally, I think we've dug up even more unpublished archival stuff from GB2. Too Hot to Handle is going to be a really cool. The Buenos have a few more interviews in the states planned. International indie documentaries focused on wildly popular IPs can take a bit. Gears are churning. In the meantime, the James Greene Jr book “A Convenient Parallel Dimension: How Ghostbusters Slimed Us Forever” will be sure to scratch whatever itches you may have. Hits in November! :love:
Sav C, RedSpecial, mrmichaelt and 2 others liked this
d_osborn wrote: August 27th, 2022, 2:50 pm Personally, I think we've dug up even more unpublished archival stuff from GB2. Too Hot to Handle is going to be a really cool.
Did it feel good to clean out your closet finally? :P
d_osborn wrote: August 27th, 2022, 2:50 pm The Buenos have a few more interviews in the states planned.
Hope they catch Murray this time. :cool:
d_osborn wrote: August 27th, 2022, 2:50 pm
Venkman1984 wrote: August 19th, 2022, 3:33 pm It literally took them how long to put out cleaning up the town? That documentary was completed in 2009 and was suppose to release so coincide with the GB1 anniversary. They shelved it for YEARS I think looking to get paid. When I finally saw it I was completely underwhelmed so I honestly couldn't care less if they come out with anything ever again. Nothing on that "documentary" was not already known to the gb community. I will say it was way better than that God awful Ghostheads documentary that made the community look like a bunch of psychos.
That needed some YHS Sad Comments music.

The documentary wasn’t shelved for profit. They had barely started interviews by 2009.

I’ll die on this hill— Cleanin’ Up the Town brought a ton of new stuff to light for the community. Dan’s proton pistol concepts, Dana auditions, Terror Dog stop motion tests, Bernstein’s hand-written sheet music, gobs of unpublished storyboards, concept art, costume designs, unit photography… I could go on and on.

Personally, I think we've dug up even more unpublished archival stuff from GB2. Too Hot to Handle is going to be a really cool. The Buenos have a few more interviews in the states planned. International indie documentaries focused on wildly popular IPs can take a bit. Gears are churning. In the meantime, the James Greene Jr book “A Convenient Parallel Dimension: How Ghostbusters Slimed Us Forever” will be sure to scratch whatever itches you may have. Hits in November! :love:
Don’t they understand that I’m impatient, selfish and when I don’t get my way I whine? I want this movie and I want it now!

My number 1 fear is I don’t make it until this movie comes out. And Jesus, I’ve had one close call already. Are those other interviews *really* that necessary?

Certainly Bill Murray will not have anything polite to say about GB2. Tho I’ve often wondered if his negative attitude towards the movie is legit. Before the movie came out he was praising it, then when he found out critics didn’t like it and it didn’t do as well, his tune changed. Sure I guess you could say he was selling the movie but there’s a video of him on YouTube promoting the movie and he seems genuinely happy with how it turned out.

Like his comments about how the VFX people got their hands on it and ruined the movie is so annoying. If anything the opposite is true. This movie was saved in post production. And the “this wasn’t the script I was sold on” is also dubious. The best version of Ghostbusters 2 is the movie we got to see. Sure there are sequences here and there in the other drafts that I’d like to see(They made a HUGE mistake not including the attempted murder bit where the rich wife is nagging and nagging at her husband, meanwhile he’s loading a gun and going to kill her. The other big mistake was not doing the New Yorkers forcing themselves to be nice montage. That could’ve been great) but overall none of the drafts are better than what we got. The one draft where it’s Venkman who gets the GB’s back together comes close but…after all the reshoots this is the best version of the movie.
RichardLess wrote: August 28th, 2022, 6:59 pm Don’t they understand that I’m impatient, selfish and when I don’t get my way I whine? I want this movie and I want it now!

My number 1 fear is I don’t make it until this movie comes out. And Jesus, I’ve had one close call already. Are those other interviews *really* that necessary?
YES! There's currently a 21' hole in the story that most of every GB fan would complain about. Myself included... which I guess is why we're shooting it.

I feel your pain. That's basically been my #1 fear since like 12 years old-- that I wouldn't live to see whatever movie I was heavily anticipating. I think Super Mario Bros may have been that film. I hope you enjoy Too Hot more than I enjoyed that first screening of SMB. :love:
RichardLess wrote: August 28th, 2022, 6:59 pm Certainly Bill Murray will not have anything polite to say about GB2. Tho I’ve often wondered if his negative attitude towards the movie is legit. Before the movie came out he was praising it, then when he found out critics didn’t like it and it didn’t do as well, his tune changed. Sure I guess you could say he was selling the movie but there’s a video of him on YouTube promoting the movie and he seems genuinely happy with how it turned out.

Like his comments about how the VFX people got their hands on it and ruined the movie is so annoying. If anything the opposite is true.
Same. 100% dude. He even had a hand in the story development early on and kept tabs on the script. Bill knew exactly what it was shaping up to be. I guess the ILM gang was easier to throw under the bus than Ivan, Dan, and Harold.
d_osborn wrote: August 27th, 2022, 2:50 pmCleanin’ Up the Town brought a ton of new stuff to light for the community.
My personal favourite was the Ecto siren actually being a snow leopard howl :lol:
Last edited by Kingpin on September 18th, 2022, 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.Reason: Added YouTube code

I don't remember exactly, But I think I've had pr[…]

Someone ID'd them on Facebook first, there w[…]

Two specific ideas I have are basically holiday sp[…]

While waiting impatiently for Frozen Empire to rel[…]