Documenting my first proton pack build here.
Hopefully it helps someone down the road!

I got this pack back on Jan. 12th '22 as a gift from a close friend. It's a Q-Pack MK3 3D print with ABS(?) I believe. May be PLA - I'll get the correct info on it later to confirm.

Spent the month sanding, priming and painting this thing and had it mostly finished by Feb. 24th. I got the thrower parts in by late March and had the entire set mostly finished by April 18th. Of course around this time since, electronics have become hard to source and money has been super tight. I don't mind waiting though. I'm patient despite knocking out this pack in a very short total work time. At this point I'm still waiting on a V-Hook from Ben-of-Wait-Times-Are-Incredibly-Insane that I had ordered in early April. (oops) and saving up to either piece together my electronics or get a kit from NinjaTunes.

I also made some modifications to this pack. Nothing too crazy so at first glance its still recognizable but the more you look the more you'll find. I'll leave those for the eagle eyes to find and not elaborate too much here. ;)

I am still sorting out photos from this build so bear with me. I'll try to post everything in order and may add photos as I sift through them.

Enjoy!
SL-2272 liked this
cristovalc wrote: July 6th, 2022, 10:37 pm Looks great! What method did you end up using for the weathering, it looks legit!

God, I can taste all the sanding particles on my tongue...
Lol! SO much sanding! It actually made my thumb bleed!

I did a combination of weathering techniques. First, I used latex masking fluid for most of the chipping effect. Before the paint was fully cure I took a scotch brite scour pad and scuffed, scraped and pitted the paint a bit more. When I finished most of the pack I went over with a coat of satin clear coat, did wet and dry brushing of browns, greens, and grays. Lightly coated again in clear coat and while that was wet I dusted some Fuller's Earth over some spots and sealed it in. My end goal was to create what looks to be 30+ years of weathering, dirt, grime and oils.
Detail shots of weathering.

As mentioned above I did a number of techniques on this pack.
After years of applying weathering on star wars props and armor I've learned that weathering is done best following these tips.

Always run a coat of base black before you apply the silver. On this pack I used two different silvers. One was a "brilliant aluminum" used on the various attachments, the other was a softer, basic silver from rustoleum used on the main body of the pack. I felt that this added some depth to the project and made it feel like the attachments were made from other metals. I believe it helps sell it and its hard to believe its really a bunch of plastic.

I left the silver on for a few days to ensure it fully cures before I stress out any paint I apply afterwards. I then painted the blacks. Keeping some parts flat black, while others got the truck bed liner. I felt the truck bed liner was easier for the type of weathering techniques used such as using the latex masking fluid.

After I pulled the making fluid off and the black paints were still uncured I began pitting, stressing, and adding scrapes using a scour pad.

After attaching more parts to the pack, I then ran a wet brush of green (slime), brown (dirt/mud), and black (grime/oils) acrylics on areas, especially the ribbon cable, clippard, filler tube, etc. When that dried I ran a coat of satin clear coat and then dusted some Fullers Earth - grey powder adding to that aged and dusty look.

jonogunn liked this
Little Boots wrote: July 7th, 2022, 9:06 am
cristovalc wrote: July 6th, 2022, 10:37 pm Looks great! What method did you end up using for the weathering, it looks legit!

God, I can taste all the sanding particles on my tongue...
Lol! SO much sanding! It actually made my thumb bleed!

I did a combination of weathering techniques. First, I used latex masking fluid for most of the chipping effect. Before the paint was fully cure I took a scotch brite scour pad and scuffed, scraped and pitted the paint a bit more. When I finished most of the pack I went over with a coat of satin clear coat, did wet and dry brushing of browns, greens, and grays. Lightly coated again in clear coat and while that was wet I dusted some Fuller's Earth over some spots and sealed it in. My end goal was to create what looks to be 30+ years of weathering, dirt, grime and oils.
When you say "sealed it in" do you mean with more clear coat?
jonogunn wrote: July 7th, 2022, 8:20 pm When you say "sealed it in" do you mean with more clear coat?
Yes, a light coat of satin clear coat to seal everything - the acrylics, fullers earth and help tie everything together. Its also acts as a protective layer in some cases. I'm not nearly as worried about it getting any more banged up than I had intended it to look. lol

I found a cool tube at Ollies discount outlet, and[…]

Finally got my copy today - It's not the worst I'v[…]

I don't remember exactly, But I think I've had pr[…]

Someone ID'd them on Facebook first, there w[…]