Discuss the upcoming 4th movie, Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire to be released in March 2024.
I thought the concept sounded cool, but the leaked script wasn’t great. It sounded like they’d show up in Manhelltan fairly early on in the movie, but I think that it would be much better if they went in the last act.

It could be similar to Gozer, but instead of getting through the portal and fighting Lou Siffler from our dimension, they could try and close the portal from the hell side. Instead of say, wondering if they’d survive crossing the streams, they wonder if they’ll be stuck in hell.

I dunno. If I end up writing fiction, Trump is like the perfect villain archetype.
deadderek liked this
Yeah, I think we’re on the same page more or less. I didn’t really like the direction that the business had gone in, not how it was in the script. They had grown to the point that they were too big it felt like, and the new team was too inept (they lost a ghost trap in a river I think). I dunno.

It seems that ghosts are still fairly rare, except around big events like Gozer and Vigo. If they were more common, I would assume that scientists would have discovered them earlier. As it was, they were running all over New York before they ever saw a ghost. So with that in mind, I feel like even NYC could only support one, maybe two Ghostbusters franchises per borough, each with or two cars. Even that might result in an over-saturation of the ghostbusting market… Obiously drafts receive huge revisions, but the draft was a bit too much. Kind of like ATC—too happy to dwell on cool tech, too many ghosts.
A “version” of the Manhellton ideas can work when done right.

After watching Stranger things 4..Vecnas lair reminds me alot of GBTVG’s dimensional levels..Id love to see the busters handle their way out of a dimensional hold..

I honestly didnt think it would work in live action GB, but seeing how ST handled it..its definitely doable.

Do jason or eric read this board?

(Slam fists on table in chanting rhythm) : ECTO 2! Ecto-2! Ecto-2! Ecto-2!
Sav C liked this
Hellbent/Manhellton was Dan Aykroyd's idea, not Ramis. Boy I remember when Chris Farley, Jason Alexander, Ben Stiller, Chris Rock and Will Smith were rumored for that cast. I liked the idea of the other dimension but didn't care for the Devil/Luke Sifler as the big bad. I believe Aykroyd was thinking of Alec Baldwin for the rule, too. It truly felt evocative of a Ghostbusters story set and made in the 90s, lol. It was nice to see some of it paid homage to in the Ghostbusters International comic from IDW but did a few things different like Brad Pitt as Lucifer, lol. I like the idea of a rival outfit like Ron's Ghost Smashers but that would again be a balancing act of cast as well. Though one of the lines I'm still suspicious of from Afterlife is when Ray mentioned supernatural activity dying down - like was that just a consequence of defeating Vigo and everyone's New Year cheer neutralizing the river or were Reitman and Kenan seeding something i.e. someone deliberately caused the activity to dip for their own reasons which comes to a head in this movie?

As for Ecto-2. On one hand, Reitman and Kenan grew up with the toys and it would be super cool to see other Ecto vehicles in a movie but... on the other hand, at most I could see Winston flying to the Firehouse in the jet black helicopter and landing on the roof. An RC Ecto-2 would be a neat hat tip though.

Also, if we see the Summerville cast in NYC either having relocated or just there for the summer, if they're still strapped for cash -- would be neat if they stayed over on the never-seen third floor of the Firehouse aka the Captain's quarters (even though technically we saw it in GB2 as the Brownstone interior).
Sav C, SpaceBallz liked this
timeware wrote: June 19th, 2022, 4:06 pm How many would be open to the idea of not a full ridable helicopter but a remote control Ecto-2? An RC conversion would look more believable and less silly.
Like A drone trap? Doable. But too similar a concept to the RC trap.

A ridable version would be more thrilling than watchin a drone-type device. Imho

I use the term Ecto 2 “loosely” as Obviously the animated/toy design of Ecto 2 would NOT be practical in real life or in live action, you would fall to your doom easily.

A Ghostbusters-type spin on the 66 Bat Copter would be more likely.

Chasing a ghost through the skyline of NY in between buildings just sounds super cool to explore on film. Can even have a scene thats a test flight over lady liberty.

Trevor : huh…never knew she had a big dent on top of her head.

Winston (on intercom): uh..yeah. Its a long story.
mrmichaelt wrote: June 19th, 2022, 4:58 pm Hellbent/Manhellton was Dan Aykroyd's idea, not Ramis. Boy I remember when Chris Farley, Jason Alexander, Ben Stiller, Chris Rock and Will Smith were rumored for that cast. I liked the idea of the other dimension but didn't care for the Devil/Luke Sifler as the big bad. I believe Aykroyd was thinking of Alec Baldwin for the rule, too. It truly felt evocative of a Ghostbusters story set and made in the 90s, lol. It was nice to see some of it paid homage to in the Ghostbusters International comic from IDW but did a few things different like Brad Pitt as Lucifer, lol. I like the idea of a rival outfit like Ron's Ghost Smashers but that would again be a balancing act of cast as well. Though one of the lines I'm still suspicious of from Afterlife is when Ray mentioned supernatural activity dying down - like was that just a consequence of defeating Vigo and everyone's New Year cheer neutralizing the river or were Reitman and Kenan seeding something i.e. someone deliberately caused the activity to dip for their own reasons which comes to a head in this movie?

As for Ecto-2. On one hand, Reitman and Kenan grew up with the toys and it would be super cool to see other Ecto vehicles in a movie but... on the other hand, at most I could see Winston flying to the Firehouse in the jet black helicopter and landing on the roof. An RC Ecto-2 would be a neat hat tip though.

Also, if we see the Summerville cast in NYC either having relocated or just there for the summer, if they're still strapped for cash -- would be neat if they stayed over on the never-seen third floor of the Firehouse aka the Captain's quarters (even though technically we saw it in GB2 as the Brownstone interior).
Yes, Aykroyd wrote the more Hellish version of it, but Ramis came up with a more simplified concept:

http://www.billmurray.it/Novita/haroldghost3.htm

That's what I'd like to see.
All this talk of Ecto-2 reminds me of being a kid and my dad telling me he was watching the filming of the court house scene and seeing Raimis, Aykroyd, and Murray, but not seeing Hudson and I was ABSOLUTELY convinced he would show up flying in Ecto-2 in the final movie... I even made a wager and goddamn that was a long summer of yard work.

Anyway, while SOME avenues in New York City could be wide enough for a smaller helicopter, a LOT aren't, especially in the older parts of the city. Flying OVER or near the water or Central Park are the only feasible places you could fly a helicopter large enough to fit two people (you're not gonna fly AND shoot something). While lower stakes, a larger drone would make much more sense.
Sav C liked this
timeware wrote: June 20th, 2022, 1:14 am I don't know much about air traffic control but you would think that a lot of buildings have no fly zone laws after 9/11 took place. In the realm of Hollywood it would be simple to just fly off in an Ecto 2 replica. However in real life the paper work to get permission must be a nightmare in itself.
Good point. On a related note, wonder how much paper work they had to fill out to pull off that helicopter shot of Ecto-1 driving on the Brooklyn Bridge at night into NYC at the end of Afterlife. Or if that was relatively simple since it was situated outside of NYC?
Sav C, timeware liked this
timeware wrote: June 20th, 2022, 1:14 am I don't know much about air traffic control but you would think that a lot of buildings have no fly zone laws after 9/11 took place. In the realm of Hollywood it would be simple to just fly off in an Ecto 2 replica. However in real life the paper work to get permission must be a nightmare in itself.
Fortunately the Ghostbusters operate in a semi-cinematic version of our reality.
BatDan liked this
BatDan wrote: June 19th, 2022, 7:08 pm
timeware wrote: June 19th, 2022, 4:06 pm How many would be open to the idea of not a full ridable helicopter but a remote control Ecto-2? An RC conversion would look more believable and less silly.
Like A drone trap? Doable. But too similar a concept to the RC trap.

A ridable version would be more thrilling than watchin a drone-type device. Imho

I use the term Ecto 2 “loosely” as Obviously the animated/toy design of Ecto 2 would NOT be practical in real life or in live action, you would fall to your doom easily.

A Ghostbusters-type spin on the 66 Bat Copter would be more likely.

Chasing a ghost through the skyline of NY in between buildings just sounds super cool to explore on film. Can even have a scene thats a test flight over lady liberty.

Trevor : huh…never knew she had a big dent on top of her head.

Winston (on intercom): uh..yeah. Its a long story.
In the cartoon ecto 2 is a rather basic autogyro. From a engeneering it'd work just fine. But there's no way they would be allowed to fly one in NYC, even before 9/11.
Sav C liked this
Bison256 wrote: June 20th, 2022, 4:06 am In the cartoon ecto 2 is a rather basic autogyro. From a engeneering it'd work just fine. But there's no way they would be allowed to fly one in NYC, even before 9/11.
I mean, I don’t think they’re allowed to rip around corners with the sirens blaring either, but they seem pretty confident that they can pull that off without getting caught lol
mrmichaelt wrote: June 20th, 2022, 2:22 am Good point. On a related note, wonder how much paper work they had to fill out to pull off that helicopter shot of Ecto-1 driving on the Brooklyn Bridge at night into NYC at the end of Afterlife. Or if that was relatively simple since it was situated outside of NYC?
It was a simple drone shot. Some fans did a similar recreation of the GB1 bridge shot with a drone a few years ago.

Depending on how ballsy Reitman was at the time, he could've followed his father's GB NYC experience and grabbed the shot without permits! I would love to learn more about the post-credits stuff, when those decisions were made, etc.
Dr.D wrote: June 20th, 2022, 8:06 am Regarding the final shot...was the Ecto even really on the bridge?

I have a sneaking suspicion it was not...
I'm doubting it was a CGI shot, but it wouldn't surprise me either! Production was playing around with that software we saw in the promos. It seems like reflections of the lightbars would've made the shot tough. Perhaps Ecto was comped on top of a police car running blue lights on the bridge?
If they'd filmed other shots of Wrecto-1 on-location in New York, I'd have been willing to believe it was the real deal... But given that was the only shot filmed in the city, I'm positive Wrecto was digitally inserted into it.
My concern about using the "Ghostbusters go to hell" idea is that people are going to say it copied Stranger Things. The studio already casted Finn Wolfhard in the last film, and some felt doing so was a bit "on the nose" given Wolfhard dressing up as a Ghostbuster in Stranger Things and being typecast for 80s - related media. And I definitely want them to stay away from the Lou Siffler villain. The business tycoon is a bad person trope has been done to death. Then you have the built-in controversy that this would inevitably invite.

"Hey us Hollywood progressives don't like Trump. Let's make a villain called Lou Siffler. Get it? It sounds like Lucifer?! We're so clever. We'll make him look and act like Trump. It'll be so good because Trump is literally the Devil!"

Nope. No thanks. After GB:ATC, I'd prefer the Ghostbusters films to steer clear of alienating half of the population and just make a good old fashioned sci-fi/comedy film that everyone can enjoy. Dive into some mythology and find a new God for the team to investigate. Or maybe there's some ghost story in a remote town somewhere that could prove to be a good adaptation for a film.
Bison256 wrote: June 17th, 2022, 7:38 am
JonXCTrack wrote: June 9th, 2022, 8:33 am

I seem to recall quite a bit of hype on these forums leading up to the release of Ghostbusters: The Video Game.

As for the announcements:

1. New animated series - I'm psyched.
2. New animated movie - if this is from the POV of a ghost as rumored in the past, then I'm less enthused.
3. New Dark Horse Comic - I'm psyched. It's canon, so I'm curious to see what it's about. I suppose that means all of the IDW stuff is its own separate universe then. Kind of a bummer since they did such a good job with it.
4. New film codename "Firehouse" - I am guardedly optimistic. I was kind of hoping that this new film was going to be a Winston story. And then another one being a Ray story. The first two can serve as the Venkman story since he has that romance with Dana.
Things like comics, novels and video games are only canon as long as they're being sold. They will be discarded and ignored in a few years. For instance, fox claimed aliens colonial Marines was canon when it came out.
They claimed GB:TVG was canon....until it wasn't.
JonXCTrack wrote: June 20th, 2022, 11:34 am
Bison256 wrote: June 17th, 2022, 7:38 am
Things like comics, novels and video games are only canon as long as they're being sold. They will be discarded and ignored in a few years. For instance, fox claimed aliens colonial Marines was canon when it came out.
They claimed GB:TVG was canon....until it wasn't.
Oh I know, but at least Afterlife gave the game a shoutout. I don't believe the special effects folks when they say they didn't see the video game's portrait of Shandor. I think they're saying that for legal reasons.
deadderek liked this
Davideverona wrote: April 26th, 2022, 10:36 am Would you like for this to be a super secret production with little surprises here and there (like Afterlife) or do you prefer a more usual "lets see some stuff from the set" approach?
A fine line.

Dont spoil anything major, but dont play it so coy this time around (we got some angled closeups of Ecto and leaked pics of the farm..stuff like that was literally all we got until the first trailer )

We already got confirmation/hints from Dan and Ernie that theyll be back. So theres no need to keep them so hidden this time around (granted we only got a few scenes with them in the long run) but i think the vagueness of it all made general audiences confused wether Afterlife was “just another reboot” or not.

I assume this will be close to the last of OG appearance in GB on film; i say go all out with them on their last go round.
Man…

Reading about the GB To Hell idea further up the thread sure brings on the nostalgia. That’s the type of high concept sequel I wanted. It’s a really strong idea. I think they could make it work for the 4th movie by reworking it a bit. One of the big things I enjoy about GB2 is the big idea of the mood slime. It’s pretty neat concept that negative energy settles down and turns into a psychomagnotheric substance. Especially with how New York was perceived at the time. Compared to the mid-late 1980s, New York is like Disneyland now. Anyways that was a cool concept to hang the movie on instead of just doing another “big bad ghost” they have this whole other idea at work.

I’d love for a writer with talent, preferably a writer with comedic chops, to take the Ghostbusters Go To Hell drafts and story outlines written by Aykroyd Tom Davis and Ramis and rewrite it.

This is a little off topic but I just rewatched As Good As it Gets and Harold has a really strong cameo in that film where he plays such a sweet, caring doctor. And all I could think of while watching it is how badly I want him back. He was a legitimately good actor that had such a sweetness & kindness to him in everything he played.

My favourite aspect of Ghostbusters is the Ray/Egon dynamic. I love those 2 together. Dan and Harold have this great Chemistry. It reminds me of almost Captain Kirk & Spock or Sherlock & Watson. That’s one the of the real strengths of GB2 in my opinion. The Egon & Ray stuff. I think I’ve said this before but I could just watch a movie of those two in Rays Occult, solving mysteries.

This is why the worst aspect of GBA is the Ray not believing Egon stuff. It’s incredibly contrived. It goes against everything we know about these two. I hate it. H-a-T-e. It’s fundamental lack of understanding character. And by not going that route, by having Ray believe him instead, but not being there when he died for whatever reason, would’ve and could’ve made the movie stronger. Ray is the gullible, child like character. He’d believe Egon if Egon told him the world was round.

Sometimes when I think about Harold and all the GB3 delays… I get angry. Angry at Bill Murray & Angry at Sony for not having the courage to make the movie without Bill. I would love for an interviewer to confront Bill about the whole Harold situation and ask for his side of the story.
Sav C liked this
I wanna see them go on an adventure the entire film through.

So far all the films has them doing normal life stuff, plot exploring stuff, then a few busting jobs here and there.

Give me full on suites up ghostbusters the entire film. I don’t mean action going busting the entire time but have them see through a mission from start to finish without being able to go back home
to relax.

Similar to most superhero movies like Thor: Ragnorok or recently Doctor Strange where the entire time they are all on the run in their outfits.

I suppose them being stuck in another dimension trying to find their way out would be an obvious choice.
My favourite aspect of Ghostbusters is the Ray/Egon dynamic. I love those 2 together. Dan and Harold have this great Chemistry. It reminds me of almost Captain Kirk & Spock or Sherlock & Watson. That’s one the of the real strengths of GB2 in my opinion. The Egon & Ray stuff. I think I’ve said this before but I could just watch a movie of those two in Rays Occult, solving mysteries.
So are you saying you want Ghostbusters 4 to be grumpier old men walking a talking dog driving the Ecto 1 from old house to old house across New York? Also speaking of Nostalgia I would love to see them remake the old Real Ghostbusters arcade game with the same company that just put out TMNT Shredders Revenge. The game was short, but it was a beautiful remake. I mean replace the foot soldiers with ghosts and that style could work for the franchise.
jonogunn wrote: June 25th, 2022, 6:34 am So far all the films has them doing normal life stuff, plot exploring stuff, then a few busting jobs here and there..
The "normal stuff" is the designed contrast to the paranormal stuff... The threads that make the world of Ghostbusters so convincing because it's something that could potentially happen in our daily life.
Kingpin wrote: June 25th, 2022, 7:23 pm
jonogunn wrote: June 25th, 2022, 6:34 am So far all the films has them doing normal life stuff, plot exploring stuff, then a few busting jobs here and there..
The "normal stuff" is the designed contrast to the paranormal stuff... The threads that make the world of Ghostbusters so convincing because it's something that could potentially happen in our daily life.
When I was watching No Way Home, there was a scene that made me think it would be amusing if there were a scene in an Afterlife sequel with Phoebe and co. stuck doing laundry with slimed flightsuits.

Also, stray thought, but I wonder if Phoebe will test out and skip a couple grades between the 2 movies.
Kingpin liked this

Any idea when you might get the Goggle metallic la[…]

Be careful removing the Hasbro weathering using […]

Are these autographs legit?

This is over a month old, but none of the four sig[…]

Charlesworth Dynamics Trap Build

Hi All, The Trap is coming on, I've nearly finish[…]