Discuss the upcoming 4th movie, Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire to be released in March 2024.
Alphagaia wrote: May 17th, 2022, 2:38 pm Ghostbusters: Paul 5 is back, baby.

I couldn't resist.
Absolutely not.
Deadline released their Disrupters issue and during Rothman's interview Ghostbusters naturally came up twice.
https://deadline.com/2022/05/sony-tom-r ... 235024137/
DEADLINE: You’re a Disruptor by being the only major studio head without the cushion of streaming service subscriptions, and you’re making it work. You’re a throwback to a model you used for decades at Fox, a studio that no longer exists.

TOM ROTHMAN: So, I’m the Last of the Mohicans?

DEADLINE: Why have other studios—and Wall Street—decided your model isn’t a good long-term strategy?

ROTHMAN: To paraphrase Mark Twain, reports of the death of the theatrical movie have been greatly exaggerated. Why it happened? There’s a current Wall Street obsession with streaming. The media narrative follows, and it becomes viewed as established wisdom whether or not it’s true. We finished the best year we’ve ever had at the movie company, in the midst of Covid. Our model is alive and well and thriving.

DEADLINE: Why?

ROTHMAN: Cultural impact. If you are going to achieve any sense of permanence, of mattering in the movie content business, you have to make cultural impact. It’s different for series, but the vast forests of movie fodder that exist on the six or eight streaming services don’t make a cultural impact. The vast majority are written in disappearing ink. Because algorithms don’t market. [Streamers] don’t really have to get over the bar of making real cultural impact. Theatrical movies do. When they fail, it’s rough. When they succeed, they’ve become a meaningful part of pop culture and when that happens, they become very valuable economically. Sony Pictures alone has grossed $3.3 billion at the worldwide box office in those eight months, in the middle of Omicron. So, what do I say to those who say movies are dead? That’s a good death. It wasn’t just Spider-Man; it was Ghostbusters and Venom and also Uncharted, a brand-new franchise for us. Ours is a fantastic model, when you win. The fact that we are one of the few companies that put that first gives us a great advantage with talent and filmmakers. We are not subservient to the larger corporate issues of a service and subscribers, and onto the next. We burn the boats on every movie. Quentin Tarantino said, ‘Rothman, yeah, he’s a butts-in-seats guy.’ I don’t know if my kids will like it on my tombstone, but I’ll take it. I’m a butts-in-seats guy. I am not knocking streaming; it’s been great for us. We’re an arms dealer to them and have made a lot of money doing it. We have great partnerships with them. But many filmmakers really value the audience connection experience in theaters, and they know we’re a company devoted to them. We’re going to make it work or die trying.
DEADLINE: Those who doubted Sony’s strategy underestimated your franchise strength.

ROTHMAN: Uncharted, Jumanji, Spider-Man. We have our Marvel business, which breaks into three tranches. There are the Spider-Man movies, and we’re currently at work on two Spider-Verse sequels to our Oscar winning animated movie, with Lord and Miller. We hope to get working on the next Spider-Man movie.

DEADLINE: With Jon Watts, Tom Holland and Zendaya returning?

ROTHMAN: That whole group, we hope. Then there are movies I would call adjunct to the Spider-Man universe. That’s Kraven, which we’re shooting now, and Madam Web, which we’ll start in the spring with S.J. Clarkson directing. And then there are many Marvel characters that are standalone. When I took over Sony, it was said, oh, Sony has no IP. Not true. We actually had fantastic IP. We just needed to focus on it. We had Jumanji, Bad Boys, Uncharted. Ghostbusters, another example. Just before I got here, they took a turn down a road that didn’t work out that well. But because of Jason Reitman and his relationship with Ivan, may he rest in peace, we were able to resuscitate that into a tremendous success, both theatrically and in home entertainment.

DEADLINE: Will you do more Ghostbusters?

ROTHMAN: Yes, we will. We have plenty of franchise universes with which to operate in, but since I have Deadline here, I want to say, and please include this, OK? Everyone will say, yeah you did $3 billion but it’s all sequels and superheroes. It was not all that. There was Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood and Little Women. This summer, we’ve got Bullet Train, from David Leitch, with Brad Pitt, a pure original, R-rated rock ‘em, sock ‘em action movie for grownups. And Where the Crawdads Sing, a big bestseller with an up-and-coming actress, Daisy Edgar Jones, for women. I absolutely believe that women will come back to the box office.
LOL! I must say I am excited at the prospect of more Ghostbusters Movies. I was left incredibly satisfied with Afterlife. I don't think Afterlife can be topped, but in the end it doesn't have to top it. I think it will be fun to just see more come from the franchise. Bring it on. Afterlife was just the boost the franchise needed to get more projects going. Now I am just hoping that the iron stays hot. I would love a bit of Star Wars level saturation with the Ghostbusters franchise. By that I mean Star Wars fans are enjoying things like Mandalorean, Book of Boba Fett, and Obi Wan. I have said this before, but with a new video game around the corner
I am hoping to see that Animated movie, Ecto Force if thats still on the table, more comic book stories, and now another live action film.

Again I think there is still hope for Ecto Force, if I am not mistaken there were many networks interested in it, but it was Ivan that pulled out to shift focus on something else. Very likely it was Afterlife in it's early stages. ;) Who knows.

I will really miss Ivan's influence on the franchise and I hope that the franchise can retain it's spirit with his absence. Everything that follws Afterlife is just going to be an extra treat. I really look forward to what comes next.
I’m sure we would have had more “saturation” if the Bill Murray thing was never a problem. I’m positive we’d be on GB5 by now. I’m so happy all that is over and the franchise can actually move forward and grow like everything else.

Some people like saying GB is niche or was never popular enough to keep going but that’s completely false. There’s obviously a huge fan base and younger generations getting into it. The difference is other franchises were not blocked from existing (besides toys and such).

When there’s only 2 movies and a cartoon to barrow from, not expand on, for 30 years the perception is that’s all it amounted to when that’s not the case at all.

I’m sure the comics have done a good job building on it but they don’t reach as big an audience as movies or cartoons. I want to read them but I don’t have time to keep up with any comic (I used to get every Sonic issue but I lost track when it was still Archie).
If they do "Ghostbusters in Da Hood", hopefully they film in Detroit so I can come check out the filming. :D
What we want to see happen:

Info on Ghostbusters 4. Jason holding up a finished script, or Jason letting it be known filming has already begun at an undisclosed location, or filming for Ghostbusters 4 has already been completed and we get news of Ghostbusters 5 in development. What's most likely to happen as there will be a showing of Afterlife is a new trailer being dropped as proof of production once the free showing is over.

What we'll most likely get is more info on the upcoming video game before any Ghostbusters 4 info is let out of the bag. I would really like to see Jason take constructive input from fans at Ecto-Fest on what they'd like to see in a 4th movie if it hasn't been scripted yet. I'm really surprised he's attending public events like this and hopefully he doesn't get bombarded by questions about Ivan and people are respectable of that subject.
Proton Props UK

Considering David orders most of the parts he do[…]

Hasbro Ghostbusters

While you're 100% correct about the function[…]

Uniform Tips

It does rain frequently here in London, but not to[…]

The yellow parts are raw 3D prints, unsanded and u[…]