Discuss all things Ghostbusters here, unless they would be better suited in one of the few forums below.
Okay so let's face it, most of us will never get our hands on a '59 Miller Meteor, or even anything remotely as close. An 80's Fleetwood hearse is more obtainable and does a pretty damn good job too. But throughout the cartoons, comics, and games we've seen a variety of vehicles - from checkered cabs to fire trucks, RVs, Hummers, and even a tugboat. So my question to you folks is; what are some of the vehicles you think would make for an awesome-looking Ectomobile?

An easy answer is any Cadillac ambulance from the 1940s up to the 70s - most of them look spectacular. But a recent youtube video had me considering another one; the Grumman LLV.

Upsides:
  • Government contract construction: Things are just bolted on inside, and are industrial in design. Which means any modifications you make are going to totally fit in.
  • The doors: You can (legally) drive with them open. This is cool in a movie, but has practical applications too. You're doing a parade, or Halloween or something? You can be tossing candy out to kids, etc.
  • The storage: These things were made to hail mail and packages, and a lot of it. So you have tons of space to modify it to your heart's content. But you also have tons of space for any convention or function you take that thing to. Think about how many proton packs and rubbermaid totes of props, outfits, and supplies that thing can haul around.
  • The look: Despite being a common sight, this vehicle turns heads. It'd turn even more with a ghost painted on the side.
Downsides:
  • Availability: These things aren't rare, but you can't just buy them used. The only reason some people are able to get them at all is because when the contract was up, Grumman had some leftover, and sold them to other government agencies who are now starting to sell them. Maybe the rules will change once the replacement vehicle is rolled out but until then, you might have better luck trying to find that '59 Caddy.
  • Height: This thing is 7' tall, where as our favorite Cadillac sits at about 5' (without the roof rack, etc). That means it doesn't leave you much room to add much more than lights and sirens without some serious risks of stuff getting clipped.
  • Performance: It doesn't like to go fast. It handles better with a lot of weight in the back. It's not great in snow.
  • People are going to ask you how you got it. Hope you like telling that story, you're gonna be doing that a lot.
So that's the worm that's been in my ear since that video came out, and I had to play around with the idea. But I really wanna see what you guys consider to be some vehicles that are just begging to be modified.
Mini Coopers
Hummers, especially new one
Ford Flex
Mercedes Sprinter/Vans...these

A lot of businesses uses these type of cars for their company vehicles. Assuming you can keep the roof stuff to a bare minimum or streamline it, including the sirens of course. Also replace the Mercedes symbol with a No Ghost logo on the front for an extra touch.
Macktacular liked this
timeware wrote: April 21st, 2022, 12:06 am Throw a bit of white and red, it will be leaving the ghosts black and blue. Hell there's enough room on the roof for a portable containment system.

I almost get a Twister vibe from imagining this thing as a ghost-response vehicle. Like these are the guys that are government funded and have all the super expensive gear and totally look down on the busters, and wind up getting utterly destroyed by the big bad in no time.
WCat2000 wrote: April 21st, 2022, 1:44 am Mini Coopers
Hummers, especially new one
Ford Flex
Mercedes Sprinter/Vans...these

A lot of businesses uses these type of cars for their company vehicles. Assuming you can keep the roof stuff to a bare minimum or streamline it, including the sirens of course. Also replace the Mercedes symbol with a No Ghost logo on the front for an extra touch.
Vans are kind of a given, since they're pretty much the default vehicle for a lot of blue-collar businesses that need room for a lot of equipment (and yeah, catching ghosts is blue-collar - they're exterminators). I do like the ladder on the side, that's a nice touch.
I could definitely see a Mini Clubman working though, in part because of the hatch doors. It looks different enough that it just makes the vehicle look that much more professional.
BRD 527 wrote: April 21st, 2022, 7:21 am Ill stick with my Ford Crown Victoria lol :blush:
I'm pretty sure I saw yours, and it turned out great! I've got a definite soft spot for taking a vehicle that obviously did a very specific job / service vehicles and making it/them into an Ecto.

The Cadillac ambulances are all winners, but I gotta admit that the 60s and 70s Chevy Suburban ambulances look rather good. And the older blockier van-style ambulances of the 60s and 70s are pretty nice too. And the Pontiac Superior, ooh those pointy lights. <3
BRD 527 liked this
An idea I had for opening up different locations was each one would get an Ecto kit and turn whatever vehicle they wanted into an Ectomobile. It’d come with all the equipment and branding to modify a car. Other businesses do this too. They just brand individual vehicles instead of having an official model.

My idea was for an opening sequence where we see different Ecto vehicles going on calls. A montage of employees from different places going to work. Then it shifts to the main NY headquarters for the story and the OGB along with new members talking about how they franchised.
For a ghostbusting crew who also tour around for a ghost hunting reality show, the 1939 GM Futurliner.

Now, these are much harder to find than a Miller-Meteor ambulance, because there were only ever twelve or so made and most are lost or rusted to nothing. But you can't tell me it wouldn't look awesome with an ecto-makeover.
Here are some of my ideas, early 90s t0 mid 2000's Chevy Suburban. Saw one in a junk yard a few weeks ago and realized it would be great, especially if you need to go into an area where the roads are nothing more than ruts. Another idea I toyed with was a retired ambulance. Lots of space in the back that can be modified into what ever you want. Me personally, I want to turn my Jeep Renegade into one simply because that's what I got and cant afford to buy anything else.
Welsh Pirate wrote: April 25th, 2022, 8:35 pm For a ghostbusting crew who also tour around for a ghost hunting reality show, the 1939 GM Futurliner.

Now, these are much harder to find than a Miller-Meteor ambulance, because there were only ever twelve or so made and most are lost or rusted to nothing. But you can't tell me it wouldn't look awesome with an ecto-makeover.
Whow . that's an absolutely amazing vehicle of course, but to be very honest - this gives me a whole lot more like "Despicable Me"-vibes than anything, so - not very matching "Ghostbusters" in my eyes. :wink:

But a jewel on its own, it is. 8)
Prime 1986 liked this
I thought of this while typing in the other topic. It’s a work related vehicle and could be a way to introduce a new Stay Puft-like character based on ice cream. I thought being exposed to ectoplasm could bring it to life. Maybe instead of mugs and balloons they give free ice cream bars to promote business. Haha.

joezlo wrote: April 29th, 2022, 11:03 am If we're talking about "modernizing the fleet"

Any kind of vehicle you see exterminators use makes sense to me.

1-It continues the original gag

2- big enough for a proton pack
I think a 1968 Pontiac Superior ambulance would be nice, also a 1972 Ford Galaxie wagon and a 1964 Ford Aurora.
Welsh Pirate liked this
BRD 527 wrote: April 21st, 2022, 7:21 am Ill stick with my Ford Crown Victoria lol :blush:
I used to visit Toronto Canadia frequently 20yr ago and they used Crown Victoria's as ambulances they even got ford to build a special extended version with an extra foot of room in the back seat area, a bunch extra got made and sold as Taxi's for a couple years

They are really great car's I have owned 6 and have also visited the assembly plant in St Thomas Ontario
never spent over $3k per car and they are built to last, drive them into the ground! lol my currant a 1993 ive had for 6yr has atleast 300k miles on the clock and still running strong

Badass (north) american car... Assembled in Canada with parts from Mexico lol
    Positron Props GB1 Pack Build

Awesome!! Good luck on your build! Tom's shell i[…]

Trailer posted for release for the Frozen Empire u[…]

Trivia, callbacks etc I noticed so far *Cover A *[…]

Matty Trap - Replace Pedal?

Has anyone successfully transferred the pedal elec[…]