Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
A thread for any and all trivia, references, easter eggs, etc. in Afterlife.

I got about 44 pages worth on a doc. file so far... easier to just link to what I added at the GB Wiki.

One that I hope doesn't become the Sedgewick Hotel audio of this movie, anyone I.D. the video Trevor watches when his hair is cut? Or is it just some rando user uploaded video?
These are all the Easter Eggs and important things I found in GB: Afterlife. Please bear in mind that this movie means different things to different people. These are the things that spoke to me. Things that are subjective and that others may not agree on I've labelled as subjective. Please add your own discoveries. I look forward to seeing them!

It goes without saying that these are Easter Eggs, I don't stop to mention why this is an awesome movie and such a great homage to GB84.

Subjective: The very first scene with the proton stream going off in the mountain sounds like it uses the Slimer scream after Ray blasts it in the hotel Sedgewick in GB84.

When the terror dog is chasing Egon onto the farm grounds, the invisible footsteps in my view corrects a scene from GB84 where the people in the restaurant (Tavern on the Green) could not see the Terror dog when it was about to jump at Louis Tully. The scene suggests these things can be invisible when they want. The scene in Afterlife fixes GB84.

Egon runs with a limp like in the montage scene in GB84.

Subjective: Egon lowers the trap visibly a moment before he hits the pedal. Indicating he is using it as bait to get the other terror dog or Gozer over the trap field.

We can see Egon's right hand has Cutaneous Radiation Injury (CRI) and pigmentation marks. Radiation damage from years of tinkering with GB equipment. His left hand appears not to. Perhaps that's why his lab features MRI scans of a skull. Perhaps he was checking up on his radiation exposure.

Subjective: Egon tapping his foot is the same rythm as Venkmans knock on Dana's door in GB84. It's subjective but close enough to warrant a mention.

It's unclear if Egon wanted to taze himself to take the glory of the terror dog killing him or if the PKE meter auto activated that mode. Much later in the film we see Trevor say "Whoa" when the PKE goes into that mode when they are looking at posessed Callie. It's shown that the PKE meter automatically goes into that mode (Trevor scene with posessed Callie) which would make sense from a functionality standpoint. But Egons fingers do seem to make a slight activation motion.

After Egon’s death, the outside shot features diffraction (a slight blurring of objects outside the focal range) which makes it look like the GB84 camera photography.

Phoebe’s room has a straightened slinky in it.

Subjective: the black chipping of paint on the PKE and the muon trap indicates a heavy duty paint was used. It doesn't scuff or scratch easily but when it fails large chunks are removed.

The farm features a number of oldtimer cars for spare parts. This is an in house joke how often Ecto-1 broke down during filming and Rays list of problems with the car before they even bought it.

Subjective: Callie's licence plate 48IRG91. I dont know what the significance of this is apart from that G 91 could refer to the Ghostbusters 1991 incident in the videogame. Rearranged the plate reads IRG1984. Ivan Reitman Ghostbusters 1984.

Egon’s lab has a maid sign just like in GB84. Also the monitor has a whale statue like Janine did. Also Egon’s stethoscope from GB84 are visible.

Subjective: Goes without saying that all pictures Egon had of Callie are in his lab. His personal space, close to him every day he worked. It may be that Egon's wife (?) did not tell Egon he had a daughter until she was a teen. She could have sent a batch of the pictures at once when she was older. Perhaps that's why Egon was analysing them so much (down to freckle counts). In a way I can't blame Callie's mom. The father of your child is in danger every day dealing with actual demons and the infernal. Even though he may mean well, would you trust your own child in that environment or would you keep her as far away from that (actual) hell as possible?

The numbers in the dining room of the farm that Phoebe looks at and in the temple are:
1381 1432 1501 1596 1607 1782 1823 1883 1908 1945 2021 2134 220*

WHen Phoebe picks up wooden statue, to the left of the screen is an American Cheese box/crate. Egon really loved his cheese/Cheeze-Its.

Subjective: Trevor's backpack has orange straps. This may be an homage to Ghostbusters: Answer the Call which also featured orange straps and highlights on the uniform.

Janine saying: I was your fathers,... eh we were… friends. Is a perfect way to summarize their relationship. First she was his secretary, then perhaps lover, then they became friends.

Subjective: Spinners diner ad lists arcade as one of the entertainments. This is in line with the firehouse featuring arcade machines in GB84 and GBTVG.

Lucky's necklace is metal and features her name. This is similar to Patty's necklace in GB: Answer the Call.

When Phoebe picks up the PKE it looks like the centre red light mode is a latent mode that functions without any user input. As we know in GB1 and GB2 and on the Matty PKE the only active modes that feature a graph are the yellow and green light modes that are selected with the switch left or right. The centre position (Red light) does nothing in GB1 GB2 and the Matty PKE. For this (centre Red light) mode to be chosen in Afterlife as a "latent" or "dormant" mode, that senses PKE energy and throws up a graph (which is also different as it goes from lower left to upper right) even if it's not being handled is a very smart choice.

Interesting is that you can see the "latent" Red LED mode get automatically activated when Phoebe doesn't touch the PKE for a long time. Look at when she is moving the puzzle pieces. The PKE start in Green LED mode when she puts it down. Then aftter she has moved a few pieces it has gone into Red "dormant" or "no user input" mode. (The Red led mode picks up activity and throws up a graph even when the user isn't handling it.

I've looked throughout Afterlife for 2 other props Egon physically handles in GB84; Jordan IM 179/U and the Beckman HD 110 (first generation with wire stand) but I can't find them anywhere. A shame as GB: Answer the Call even gave Kevin the last name of "Beckman".

Subjective: We see Grooberson when he is introduced as having orange bracelets. Perhaps also an homage to GB: Answer the Call (orange highlights on costumes and orange straps.)

Grooberson saying: “most kids here aren’t very bright” while greeting the kid that walks by was a copy of the GB1 deleted scene where Venkman does something similar with “John”. See here (first scene):

In school the blackboard says in large letters: "What factors affect enthalpics of hydration for ions". This is poignant as throughout GB we hear about the ionization rate for ectoplasmic entities.

Subjective: In class, behind Grooberson next to the oyster is what looks like an eye on a stalk. This may be in reference to the RGB Bug Eyed ghost with an eye on a stalk we see later in the movie.

Grobberson mentions Beethoven, a movie that Reitman produced.

Subjective: There is what appears to be something like a rural flag design below the Spinners Diner sign. A nice touch considering what the movie is about. How awesome and pure science is.

When Trevor is given the hoodie with the wolf on it and rejects it, we hear the two cooks laughing off screen. This is an awesome in joke to GB84, when Louis gets locked out of his apartment at his own party and if you listen carefully you hear someone lock the door behind him the moment he is locked out. Both are basically audio only jokes.

Podcast: Hardware store run by lizard people. Thats an odd line. The store owner seemed friendly enough. Is it something for a sequel. The guy did seem incredibly calm with the Earthquake that followed. Even when he was holding up his keys.

Podcast's clothes have typical late 80s and early 90's designs.

Subjective: When podcast says "Shandorian curse" you faintly hear the Ecto-1 siren.

Subjective: The relief / mural showing the temple and Shandor appears to be changed from GB84/ Ghostbusters Ultimate Visual History Collectors Edition, to indicate the central figure is now Gozer as opposed to Shandor.

Subjective: Ecto 1 garage on the farm, says "Dirt" to ward off thieves?

Phoebe saying ok to Podcast when he hands over his episodes to her sounds like Louis Tully saying ok to when Egon asks if they can sample his brain tissue in GB84.

Podcast's bike with the makeshift wooden battery and bare electric cables indicates these kids are completely at home with amateur electronics.

The PKE meter now shows ambi led white balanced lights as opposed to the pure yellow lights of GB1 and GB2.

The visual puzzle Phoebe solves in the floor is actually a pretty complex puzzle in terms of IQ.

The ITT RM833212 relay on the trap is now at 90 degrees to the original. A weird place becuse it is much easier to step on and break off.

Podcast screaming "Yes" when Grooberson opens the trap with the car battery is similar to Holtzmann screaming "Yes!" in GB: Answer the Call outside Eldridge mansion.

Grooberson's licence plate: ZHB349. I don't know what the significance is of this.

There are flowers and tributes at the mine entrance when the kids drive back there. I don't know the significance. Perhaps left for the people who died there.

Egon's lab features a Wolverson Medrad contrast injector for medical imaging like in GB84. (Huge orange thing)

Egon's lab features a collection of spores, molds and fungus and Crunch bars.

When Phoebe picks up Egon's glasses we see them as being made of very thin glass. The scene in GB84 in the ballroom when light reflects off of Egon's glasses as they walk in it looked like standard glass. This scene in Afterlife sort of fixes that scene in GB84.

Subjective: A monitor in Egon's lab appears to show something similar to a moving net of a tesseract. This may indicate his work with higher dimensions.

Subjective: Egon's lab features an MRI of a head. Possibly beccause he was checking up on his radioation absorpition dose throughout his life. See the hand detail mentioned earlier.

Egon has Cheeze-Its in his lab

WHen light shines on Egon's diplomas there are a Bacharach Sniffer (what Peter used in Dana's apartment in GB84) and a Giga-meter from GB2. There is also the toaster from GB2 but it appears to feature an additional module in the front.

Subjective: The Proton pack design is awesome. It features additional detail where the original was most bare (around the Clippard). In addition it features the neon yellow rip cord on the opposite side to balance it out. Yellow because that is the GB accent color (black and yellow on trap, yellow overall hose color, yellow Lifegard in GB2, etc.) Neon because neon yellow when dirty will look almost green, slime color. A perfect choice.

When Phoebe starts the Proton pack in the field there appears to be an initial added sound effect just before it starts up. It also starts up slowly and there is an added Power cell light scrolling sound effect. I love the creativity in this sequence.

The unique thing about the Proton Pack startup sound is the bass. I love how when Podcast starts up the Proton Pack the entire scene just fills with bass, the entire soundscape.

The Spengler wand features a deviating start up sequence to what we are used to from Mattel and Hasbro wands though (and GB1 elevator exit, rooftop and GB2 Do-Ray-Egon scenes). The sequence on this wand is unlike any of the other wands (or the licenced props, which are all consistent). Weird, as all prior movies and props featured the same sequence.

Muncher looks a bit like a Tardigrade down to the small mouth. A change being that the arms and legs rotate 180 degrees.

Also the sequence here is different than in the jail cell later and when the original GB's show up. Also there is a trailer that shows this same scene but with the start up sequence we are used to.

Phoebe's blouse features designs like Peter's Zener cards.

Subjective: When Phoebe says "overstimulation calms me" we see the cyclotron lights run counter clockwise like in some scenes in GB1. Personally this direction always made the most sense to me as that is the direction of the cyclotron exit port.

Subjective: When Phoebe fires at Muncher for the first time we see the wand bargraph fluctuate slightly. It isn't scrolling, but it isn't completely static either. It's like it wavers with the power draw. I think this is an excellent interpretation.

Subjective: Grooberson saying: "Science is pure, It's an absolute". Is really what the heart of this movie is about.

On the RTV trap the battery compartment is much larger than on normal traps. Perhaps the doors are also shorter in length.

Subjective: Ray saying that Egon took the Ecto-1 doesn't make sense if it was just a few years ago, because when they find it the Ecto-1 appears to have been in storage for atleast 50 years.

Subjective: The changed dimensions on the RTV trap (battery compartment and door size) don't really make sense. It would be most likely that Egon would have just used a normal trap and added external modules to it to make it compliant with a remotely operated vehicle, rather than retool the whole thing.

The remote control of the RTV trap which Podcast uses is similar to the FP-series Futaba radio-control unit that the original Ghost trap prop used behind the scenes in GB1 and GB2.

Subjective: A ghost firing 7.62mm ammunition from it's mouth doesn't really make sense. Takes you out of the scene.

Subjective: Phoebe's face during the Ecto-1 slide moment (chasing Muncher) is a little too CGI. It's obvious the face was transposed onto a stunt double.

Trevor saying: "I heard a voice say Gozer" is similar to how Dana says "I heard a voice say Zuul" in GB1.

Subjective: When Phoebe dials the Ghostbusters number she adds 212 before the 555. This may be an in joke about how Hollywood always used 555 for make believe phone numbers in movies and for how many people called 555 when the first movie came out.

Subjective: Ray mentions "16 ounces of fuel isotope". This may indicate the power source of the PP is Curium-246 like we hypothesised here after all. In any case 16 ounces in total for all of their activities indicates it is a nuclear source of fuel.

Subjective: Ray not believing Egon and mocking Egon's worries doesn't make sense. In all the Ghostbusters universe whenever Egon measures something he says: "This doesn't look good Ray" or "Ray check these readings". They always end up figuring it out together. Ray would never mock a statement like: "A psychic tornado coming to end humanity" he would be the one saying it.

Subjective: The Sherrif's desk features disinfectant handgel. Perhaps a reference to COVID.

When the Sherrif turns off the wand it appears to be the Hasbro / Matty / GB1/ GB2 sequence. Turning off with the lower right switch. It's hard to see though because his hand is in the way.

Subjective: The concentric circles on the map are similar to the Mandala in GBTVG

The people listening in to the conversation in the diner scene is similar to people listening in to the conversation in the GB84 jail scene.

Subjective: When Lucky says: "Pretty woke for 3000 BC" I always understood it as Reitman meaning the idea (that Gozer was genderless) was pretty woke for 1984.

Ivo Shandor looks exactly like he does in the Ghostbusters Video Game. He also has two terror dogs on his outfit and a pyramid on the back. Could this be a reference to the Illuminati all seeing eye?

Gozer rips Shandor in half the moment she sees him, which is out of character for Gozer. This is likely in revenge for what happened in Ghostbusters: The Video Game.

Subjective: Very apt of the Reitmans to include 1945 as an important date.

The little control box on the automated Proton Packs in the mine aere very similar to the one Adam Savage designed in his tested episode before he went to the Comic-Con.

When Callie picks up the PKE meter it looks alot worse than in the beginning of the movie. The wear just gets worse when we see it later.

Subjective: the terror dogs look scarier in this movie. It’s strange but their eyes have almost ape like features.

After Phoebe says: "This isn't a farm, it's a trap" we see a garbage container full of slime. It is blue colored. This indicates that in the Jason GB universe slime is a blue color. GB1 green GB2 pink AF blue

Phoebe saying: "Would it kill you to read" and Trevor replying: "Would it kill you to tell me" is similar to the "You never studied" scene in GB1.

When we see possessed Grooberson and Callie their introductions are the opposite of GB84 Tully and Barrett. Grooberson lying down and Callie walking towards him.

Subjective: Phoebe saying "Just more stupid guns" could be a reference to Aykroyd stressing during marketing for the video game that GB was about containing not shooting or killing.

The guns Phoebe drops are all visibly rubber guns.

The Gozer temple in the mine appears to be an identical copy to the rooftop in 84.

We see the Bug eye Ghost from The Real Ghostbusters.

When Gozer says: "Are you prepared to die?" her voice changes into the masculine.

The Spinners logo has lost the P and become Sinners.

Subjective: Callie saying: "Phoebe you're a..." and her replying "I'm a scientist". Is what the whole movie is about.

Subjective: Trevor running the Ecto-1 through the "This is the End" sign Egon put up, is a metaphor for the kids interrupting this from happening.

At the end, on the farm, when Phoebe holds up a trap next to her mom on the porch its actually an RTV trap:
Large battery compartment and short doors. This was probably a production mistake. Because when Gozer splits the trap in half a moment later it has ordinary trap dimensions.

Subjective: Gozer signalling to the Terror dog to stand down means she took Venkman personally and wants to handle them her/himself.

When the original Ghostbusters appear the wand light up sequence appears correct to the Matty and Hasbro wands (and GB1 elevator exit, rooftop and GB2 Do-Ray-Egon scenes), with the activate switch turning it on.

Subjective: Venkman saying "On the count of 3, Go on 2, one" could be interpreted as Venkman's last ditch attempt to gain an upper hand in the battle by fooling Gozer. Quite typical how many of the things Venkman says sound funny or stupid but are actually based in science (just like: "Are you Alice, menstruating right now?")

Subjective: Ray's wand front grip is slightly rotated. Perhaps this is the safety mechanism of the wand. When the handle is rotated up it's not comfortable to hold and it's a safety, i.e. won't work until the hande is the right way. It's subjective.

Subjective: Ray talking to Podcast at the end to me solidifies that Podcast is the new Ray Stantz. Same enthousiasm. Although Podcast is quite mischievous.

Post credits: Winston talking to Janine just as when she interviewed him in GB84 was very touching.

Subjective: Winston saying: "I'm an example of what's possible" was very touching.

Winston says: "I started this business with one employee". There is a reason for this quite specific line. Look at the recognizable silhouette of the head and ears of the guy driving the Ecto-1 into the firehouse at the post credits scene. The one guy in all of GB lore who always wanted to drive the Ecto-1 but was never allowed to. You know who it is.
Last edited by One time on January 26th, 2022, 5:09 pm, edited 40 times in total.
Haven't read all of it yet. I will.
Just a few things that off my head.

I don't think the limp is an easter egg, its a result of the car crash.
Also I don't think Egons ghost leaves the farm.
That orb is the terror dog returning to the mind and the PKE activating under the chair is indicating Egons a ghost.

As for the numbers Egon painted around his house, those are the same years as in the Gozer temple 1908, 1984, 2021 etc.

They flowers out the front of the mine: Podcast mentioned that miners leapt to their death down the shaft (where the lift is) its possible the families of those miners keep their memories going or people still commit suicide there.
Last edited by Hairy Biker on January 17th, 2022, 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
seekandannoy liked this
Hairy Biker wrote: January 17th, 2022, 9:10 pm Haven't read all of it yet. I will.
Just a few things that off my head.

I don't think the limp is an easter egg, its a result of the car crash.
Also I don't think Egons ghost leaves the farm.
That orb is the terror dog returning to the mind and the PKE activating under the chair is indicating Egons a ghost.

As for the numbers Egon painted around his house, those are the same years as in the Gozer temple 1908, 1984, 2021 etc.
Great point! It was the terror dog leaving. I thought it was Egon's ghost. Thank you.

The limp is almost identical to the limp he had when running during the GB84 montage though. I thought it was a nice touch. To be honest he doesn't limp all the time when running in GB84 or GB89. But when he does it's the same.

The numbers in Egons farm house are different to the numbers in the mine. They don't match up.

Edit: My mistake! You are right, the numbers are the same. I edited the post.
"Winston says: "I started this business with one employee". There is a reason for this quite specific line. Look at the silhouette of the head and ears of the guy driving the Ecto-1 into the firehouse at the post credits scene. You know who it is."

He is talking to Janine about how he started his Global enterprise Company (with 1 employee and now being international), He is not talking about the Ghostbusters relaunch or anything like that. I don't think there is too much to scratch from here.
I think a reference to the video game would've been more overt than the silhouette of a driver and a remark about an employee by Winston. On top of that the movie retconned the videogame, so it's unlikely the Rookie exists in the Ghostbusters theatrical universe.
The numbers in the dining room of the farm that Phoebe looks at and in the temple are:
Now I have to wonder if some of the numbers earlier than 1883 have any specific meaning or are just random. The ones they discuss in the movie (1883-2021) all refer to either massive real-world disasters or in-story events.

Wikipedia doesn't give me anything overly plausible on most of the years, though there's always wars going on that they could say were influenced by Gozer cults or something:
1381 No natural disasters. Peasant's Revolt in England
1432 No natural disasters. Lithuanian Civil War is about the most "interesting" thing I saw.
1501 No natural disasters. Several wars.
1596 An outbreak of Black Death (the main ones were 1346-1353). Second Spanish Armada.
1607 Bristol Channel Floods (possibly a tsunami). Jamestown established. Halley's Comet appearance.
1782 A fire in Constantinople burns for two and a half days. Various wars as always.
1823 No natural disasters. Various wars, nothing stands out.

If there's some mathmatical thing involved, I have even less idea. :roll:
One time liked this
Kingpin wrote: January 18th, 2022, 2:11 pm I think a reference to the video game would've been more overt than the silhouette of a driver and a remark about an employee by Winston. On top of that the movie retconned the videogame, so it's unlikely the Rookie exists in the Ghostbusters theatrical universe.
I think it’s an example of the movie being different to different people. When I heard the line I immediately thought of the Rookie. Why would he say one employee. Most people would go: “well who was that then?” Someone from the EU? Someone we know already from the first two movies? Who? Why mention it specifically as a lone individual. It just begs the question as to who it is.

Seeing the shaved head silhouette in the car immediately confirmed it for me. Specifically because it was backlit and only in silhouette. It was the last (and best) Easter egg in the entire movie for me as I love the GBTVG. It cliche to say it but for me it was and will (unfortunately due to Harold) forever stay as the “real” Ghostbusters 3, with all the original actors. It was 60 hours vs. a 2 hour movie and you actually took part in it and discovered weeks of content through your actions rather than just watching it. The way it tied together the history behind the GB1 librarian (Eleanor Twitty), Shandor, the slime from GB2, the fact it was co written by Aykroyd and Ramis, etc.
But that’s my interpretation of that Winston scene.

It was also fitting that like in the game, Winston was the most friendly towards the Rookie. Winston started in GB1 as the outsider and now he is the one mentoring the final outsider. Also the in joke throughout the game was the Rookie never got to drive the Ecto-1, although he (and us as players) really wanted to. The GB’s even teased him about it. So seeing (in my view) the Rookie now, finally drive the Ecto-1 was fitting.

Winston may have also started his international business with just the Rookie after Ghostbusting ended. Other people will disagree. That’s the great thing about these subtle Easter eggs.

As for the game being canon or not, I’ve read somewhere that some have argued Afterlife and GBTVG can co-exist whereby Gozer fooled Shandor into thinking he did what he did. They say there would be no competition between a powerful cultist/magician and an actual God. In terms of power and cunning.

The fact that Shandor looks identical in both supports this view. Although it would have been perfect if Shandor had apologised, however short, in his dialogue with Gozer. In the end I kind of like this mysterious half way situation as well. Hah! The videogame might be why Gozer ripped him in half on first sight.
Last edited by One time on January 18th, 2022, 8:00 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Fritz wrote: January 18th, 2022, 2:26 pm
Now I have to wonder if some of the numbers earlier than 1883 have any specific meaning or are just random. The ones they discuss in the movie (1883-2021) all refer to either massive real-world disasters or in-story events.

Wikipedia doesn't give me anything overly plausible on most of the years, though there's always wars going on that they could say were influenced by Gozer cults or something:
1381 No natural disasters. Peasant's Revolt in England
1432 No natural disasters. Lithuanian Civil War is about the most "interesting" thing I saw.
1501 No natural disasters. Several wars.
1596 An outbreak of Black Death (the main ones were 1346-1353). Second Spanish Armada.
1607 Bristol Channel Floods (possibly a tsunami). Jamestown established. Halley's Comet appearance.
1782 A fire in Constantinople burns for two and a half days. Various wars as always.
1823 No natural disasters. Various wars, nothing stands out.

If there's some mathmatical thing involved, I have even less idea. :roll:
Could it be that some dates are pre 1000 AD and we are assuming 4 digits for each?

Edit: nope, doesn’t really work

Perhaps they indicate not some human / Earth milestone but something of cosmic significance, supernovae, eclipses, planetary alignments?
One time wrote: January 18th, 2022, 6:16 pm Why would he say one employee.
It was establishing that when he started out his business was about as grass-roots as it could be, that he went from one employee to thousands (or more).

There's more than a few people who postulated that Louis was Winston's sole employee. To buck the trend I could posit that a movie version of Kylie Griffin was his first employee.

I don't think the line had any deeper significance. Given how visual most of the other nods to Ghostbusters lore were in the film I honestly think Jason/Jason's production team would've made it more obvious if there was some connection to the video game.

And the Rookie doesn't have a shaved head. His hair is short, but it's not even close-cropped like 11 from Stranger Things.

It's just a guy driving a car.

The design of Shandor is likely the only nod to the game, and it makes sense as nothing else really depicted Ivo Shandor's appearance.
Kingpin wrote: January 18th, 2022, 7:07 pm
One time wrote: January 18th, 2022, 6:16 pm Why would he say one employee.
It was establishing that when he started out his business was about as grass-roots as it could be, that he went from one employee to thousands (or more).

There's more than a few people who postulated that Louis was Winston's sole employee. To buck the trend I could posit that a movie version of Kylie Griffin was his first employee.

I don't think the line had any deeper significance. Given how visual most of the other nods to Ghostbusters lore were in the film I honestly think Jason/Jason's production team would've made it more obvious if there was some connection to the video game.

And the Rookie doesn't have a shaved head. His hair is short, but it's not even close-cropped like 11 from Stranger Things.

It's just a guy driving a car.

The design of Shandor is likely the only nod to the game, and it makes sense as nothing else really depicted Ivo Shandor's appearance.
Fair enough. I still believe it though 😊. I know of no Easter Eggs for extreme Ghostbusters in Afterlife and therefore Kylie being the employee is one reference further removed than the videogame, which has Shandor looking identical.

Shaved head was the wrong term, I meant short hair. You have to admit the guy driving the car had a haircut that is not a typical one and looked exactly like the Rookie in silhouette just after Winston says “one employee”. Also the in joke could be that in the videogame you never got to drive the Ecto-1, eventhough all players wanted to and the GB’s actually teased you about it.
The fact that the Rookie is now finally driving the Ecto-1 is just perfect (for me).

But to each their own, that’s what makes these subtle things so great.
One time wrote: January 18th, 2022, 7:16 pmYou have to admit the guy driving the car had a haircut that is not a typical one and looked exactly like the Rookie in silhouette
I can't admit to something I didn't see. I was focused on the Firehouse and Wrecto-1, all I can confirm is the person driving the car had a vaguely human shape.

The hair style might not be in vogue at the moment but I wouldn't say it's "not typical", there are plenty enough people with short hair.
Kingpin wrote: January 18th, 2022, 7:07 pm The design of Shandor is likely the only nod to the game, and it makes sense as nothing else really depicted Ivo Shandor's appearance.
I think it's just a coincidence it resembles the TVG RV look. In his interview with Troy Benjamin, Arjen's one concept was based on hairstyles of the early 1900s and cited Charles Dickens then Jason Reitman immediately signed off on it.
One time wrote: January 18th, 2022, 6:16 pm I think it’s an example of the movie being different to different people. When I heard the line I immediately thought of the Rookie. Why would he say one employee. Most people would go: “well who was that then?” Someone from the EU? Someone we know already from the first two movies? Who? Why mention it specifically as a lone individual. It just begs the question as to who it is.
With his money, Winston probably hired a professional cross country auto transport company. If most people were paying attention to the driver rather than Winston, idk, man...
One time wrote: January 18th, 2022, 6:16 pm Seeing the shaved head silhouette in the car immediately confirmed it for me. Specifically because it was backlit and only in silhouette. It was the last (and best) Easter egg in the entire movie for me as I love the GBTVG. It cliche to say it but for me it was and will (unfortunately due to Harold) forever stay as the “real” Ghostbusters 3, with all the original actors. It was 60 hours vs. a 2 hour movie and you actually took part in it and discovered weeks of content through your actions rather than just watching it. The way it tied together the history behind the GB1 librarian (Eleanor Twitty), Shandor, the slime from GB2, the fact it was co written by Aykroyd and Ramis, etc.

It was also fitting that like in the game, Winston was the most friendly towards the Rookie. Winston started in GB1 as the outsider and now he is the one mentoring the final outsider. Also the in joke throughout the game was the Rookie never got to drive the Ecto-1, although he (and us as players) really wanted to. The GB’s even teased him about it. So seeing (in my view) the Rookie now, finally drive the Ecto-1 was fitting.

Winston may have also started his international business with just the Rookie after Ghostbusting ended. Other people will disagree. That’s the great thing about these subtle Easter eggs.

As for the game being canon or not, I’ve read somewhere that some have argued Afterlife and GBTVG can co-exist whereby Gozer fooled Shandor into thinking he did what he did. They say there would be no competition between a powerful cultist/magician and an actual God. In terms of power and cunning.

The fact that Shandor looks identical in both supports this view. Although it would have been perfect if Shandor had apologised, however short, in his dialogue with Gozer. In the end I kind of like this mysterious half way situation as well. Hah! The videogame might be why Gozer ripped him in half on first sight.
The length you've gone to rationalize it is commendable but I still find it speculative and I disagree that identity of the driver has any relevance to Ghostbusters canon.

Shandor suggested he would rule the world side by side with Gozer. Gozer responded. That's it. It's unfortunate, but TVG is not in the original movie canon anymore. I've already confirmed it with Eric Reich, it's only GB1 GB2 and GB:AL now. Some fans that want to can keep on head canoning, they can I guess.
Kingpin, robbritton liked this
mrmichaelt wrote: Shandor suggested he would rule the world side by side with Gozer. Gozer responded. That's it. It's unfortunate, but TVG is not in the original movie canon anymore. I've already confirmed it with Eric Reich, it's only GB1 GB2 and GB:AL now. Some fans that want to can keep on head canoning, they can I guess.
I guess my issue with that is there was no need to explicitly denounce TVG from canon, really. It could have been left ambiguous - it obviously has a lot of narrative content skewed by virtue of being a videogame.

I also think that whether TVG remains head canon depends very much on the quality and quantity of what follows from Afterlife. It's very unlikely a follow-up to Afterlife will face the same scrutiny and pitfalls - they've got a blank canvas now. Provided that canvas isn't Vigo, I'm excited for what's next.
One time liked this
Chicken, He Clucked wrote:I guess my issue with that is there was no need to explicitly denounce TVG from canon, really. It could have been left ambiguous
Indeed. If Shandor didn't appear in Afterlife, there'd be no issue, imo. Elements in TVG would have augmented Afterlife's story like accounting for the last ghost sighting being 30 years ago and the possible start point of Egon's interest in Shandor.
It's been a while since I played the game, but could it be explained away by saying Ivo was astrally projecting from Summerville... the thing about supernatural stories is there are loads of ways to "fix" things. This is why I'm confused by Ghost Corp rushing to de-canonise the TVG - it makes the franchise smaller when they're aiming to make it bigger.
One time liked this
One time wrote: January 18th, 2022, 6:16 pm
Kingpin wrote: January 18th, 2022, 2:11 pm I think a reference to the video game would've been more overt than the silhouette of a driver and a remark about an employee by Winston. On top of that the movie retconned the videogame, so it's unlikely the Rookie exists in the Ghostbusters theatrical universe.
I think it’s an example of the movie being different to different people. When I heard the line I immediately thought of the Rookie. Why would he say one employee. Most people would go: “well who was that then?” Someone from the EU? Someone we know already from the first two movies? Who? Why mention it specifically as a lone individual. It just begs the question as to who it is.

Seeing the shaved head silhouette in the car immediately confirmed it for me. Specifically because it was backlit and only in silhouette. It was the last (and best) Easter egg in the entire movie for me as I love the GBTVG. It cliche to say it but for me it was and will (unfortunately due to Harold) forever stay as the “real” Ghostbusters 3, with all the original actors. It was 60 hours vs. a 2 hour movie and you actually took part in it and discovered weeks of content through your actions rather than just watching it. The way it tied together the history behind the GB1 librarian (Eleanor Twitty), Shandor, the slime from GB2, the fact it was co written by Aykroyd and Ramis, etc.

Sometimes hoof beats are just horses.
mrmichaelt liked this
Chicken, He Clucked wrote: January 19th, 2022, 5:44 am It's been a while since I played the game, but could it be explained away by saying Ivo was astrally projecting from Summerville...
His skull is a collectable in the game, and the description infers his body has rotted away.

Even setting aside the artifact, Shandor's motivation is completely different in the two properties. Near the end of the game, he'd given up on Gozer, and seemingly destroyed the Sumerian God.

In Afterlife, Gozer's clearly alive, and Shandor is smitten/in adoration when meeting it.
Kingpin wrote: January 19th, 2022, 7:03 pm
Chicken, He Clucked wrote: January 19th, 2022, 5:44 am It's been a while since I played the game, but could it be explained away by saying Ivo was astrally projecting from Summerville...
His skull is a collectable in the game, and the description infers his body has rotted away.

Even setting aside the artifact, Shandor's motivation is completely different in the two properties. Near the end of the game, he'd given up on Gozer, and seemingly destroyed the Sumerian God.

In Afterlife, Gozer's clearly alive, and Shandor is smitten/in adoration when meeting it.
The Ghostbusters DVD is a collectable in the game. It doesn’t mean anything.

People said Gozer fooled Shandor into doing what he did. Being an actual God, there would be no competition with a Jewish architect from 1845 in terms of power or cunning.

I like to think that Gozer ripped Shandor in half the moment he saw him because of what happened in the videogame. She doesn’t do the same to Ray in GB1 or to Phoebe. But when she sees Shandor she rips him in half immediately.

I’m a lover of letting people believe what made up parts of a made up story they want.

The only shame is people who disrespect the videogame because they simply never played it,
and find it’s more comfortable to dislike something they will never experience.

For many people GBTVG feels like a main mission as GB3 and Afterlife just feels like a (good) side mission.

PS: does anyone have a reputable link to a source that has published that Afterlife has officially de-canonized the game? A link like that would help me decide what I think of Afterlife finally.
Last edited by One time on January 19th, 2022, 11:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
mrmichaelt wrote: January 18th, 2022, 9:12 pm I think it's just a coincidence it resembles the TVG RV look. In his interview with Troy Benjamin, Arjen's one concept was based on hairstyles of the early 1900s and cited Charles Dickens then Jason Reitman immediately signed off on it.
It’s odd the lengths we both go to, to prove ourselves right isn’t it. Such an interesting part of human psychology.

I suppose it could be a coincidence that Ivo Shandor in the game and in Afterlife look the same.

This haircut, mustache and beard could indeed be what everyone looked like in the early 1900’s as you say.

Or maybe they did not want to admit Ian Mcintosh any royalties by publicly denying it.
One time wrote: January 19th, 2022, 10:24 pm The Ghostbusters DVD is a collectable in the game. It doesn’t mean anything.
One tongue-in-cheek collectable doesn't mean the skull should automatically be discredited. The "astral projection" idea is a stretching retcon to keep the game in canon - there's nothing that suggests Shandor ever had such a power, dead or alive.
One time wrote: January 19th, 2022, 10:24 pmwith a Jewish architect from 1845 in terms of power or cunning.
This is the second time I've seen this. Where was it established that Shandor was Jewish?
One time wrote: January 19th, 2022, 10:24 pm PS: does anyone have a reputable link to a source that has published that Afterlife has officially de-canonized the game? A link like that would help me decide what I think of Afterlife finally.
There's no article or interview where it's unmistakably stated, but the existing cut of the movie and the lack of any references to content or characters from the game beyond Shandor's appearance can be considered a quiet confirmation.
Kingpin wrote: January 20th, 2022, 6:56 am
One time wrote: January 19th, 2022, 10:24 pm The Ghostbusters DVD is a collectable in the game. It doesn’t mean anything.
One tongue-in-cheek collectable doesn't mean the skull should automatically be discredited. The "astral projection" idea is a stretching retcon to keep the game in canon - there's nothing that suggests Shandor ever had such a power, dead or alive.
Kingpin wrote: January 19th, 2022, 7:03 pm

He wasn't astral projecting. His spirit re entered his body. The same spirit that was depowered and left in the "ghost" world at the end of the game.

Kingpin are you familiar with how the old Star Wars expand universe, Judge Dredd and DC and Marvel deal with continuity? The broad strokes of the stories take place, the events of storylines happened, but any small details that disagree with later cannon are recontextualized or out right ignored.

How this applies to the video game: the general story happed. The pack upgrades were abandoned (like in IDW). That skull is not Ivo's, the Ghostbusters' research sources are in error. Shandor was groveling, hoping Gozer would forgive him. Shandor's ghost was depowered and left in the ghost realm. Boom there, everything is fine.
Last edited by Bison256 on January 20th, 2022, 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
One time liked this
Bison256 wrote: January 20th, 2022, 9:46 am There is no official source, just a private chat mrmichaelt had with Sony's PR guy
Eric is not "Sony's PR guy". He is officially the Brand & Franchise Executive at GhostCorps.

I'll post a redacted grab of the email, taking away our email addresses if that helps, One time.
zeta otaku, Kingpin, deadderek and 3 others liked this
We don't live in a the studio said this world anymore. Fans of Boba Fett may not have the new show or anything that happened when he was introduced in AOTC counted as canon. They don't have to. Studios favor what makes them money, not what makes fans happy. Fans retain what they like and get rid of the rest like Egg Shen's buffet. If a fan found a way to include the game great. If they count the cartoons or the game as off dimensions, that's fine too. I just got tired of hoping studios would get their crap straight long ago. Star Wars, Trek, Ghostbusters. All have official canon that changes every few years if not more and alternate dimensions and time lines and frankly I'm just too tired to care anymore, If I like it I count it, if I don't I don't. Simple. Lets let people enjoy it because Sony doesn't need us to tell each other what to count on their behalf. I just wish the studios had people run their continuity and story groups the way a lot of fans here do so for free out of their own time.
One time liked this
mrmichaelt wrote: January 20th, 2022, 5:06 pm
Bison256 wrote: January 20th, 2022, 9:46 am There is no official source, just a private chat mrmichaelt had with Sony's PR guy
Eric is not "Sony's PR guy". He is officially the Brand & Franchise Executive at GhostCorps.

I'll post a redacted grab of the email, taking away our email addresses if that helps, One time.
Sounds like public relations to me. He comes across as "eh sure whatever." Sorry if that come across as snarky, I don't like corporate types much from past experiences.
One time liked this
Charlesworth Dynamics Trap Build

Hi All, The Trap is coming on, I've nearly finish[…]

I found a cool tube at Ollies discount outlet, and[…]

Finally got my copy today - It's not the worst I'v[…]

I don't remember exactly, But I think I've had pr[…]