Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
Hear me out:

- Grooberson mentions the 80s were walking dead. But if Ray said they were busting for a while, calls died down to once a week. Since the GB2 event was on the turn of NYE leading into the 90s. Therefore, the 90s were also time of the walking dead. At least til mid-90s I would have thought unless the activity died down within what, a year?

- No mention of Vigo, 'a painting', or the huge amount of pink slime that possessed things underneath NYC?

- The car in Egon's possession was the Ecto-1 not the Ecto-1A. If Egon took it, why would it be their old model?

However the are some clues that it may include GB2:
- Grooberson says there hasn't been a ghost sighting in 30 years. 1984 + 30 = 2014. 1989 + 30 = 2019. So GB2 is closer to that timeline.
- The gigameter is visible.
- Podcast wears the sensory cap that Ray and Egon wore when analysing the pink slime.
No, just the first movie was the focus of Afterlife while Ghostbusters II was to be referenced more subtle and less in our face. With Ray's Occult being the most in your face and the opposite end, the Giga Meter being a blink and miss cameo. Or if you're a prop fan, you'll see that Peter, Ray, and Winston's Proton Packs reference Ghostbusters II via its ribbon cable.

Was it ignored? No. It was there on the periphery.

https://uproxx.com/movies/jason-reitman ... interview/

Jason Reitman:
I wish I could talk to you about [Egon deciding to repaint the Ghostbusters II logo on the Ecto-1.]

I’m just saying that’s a plot that is not in this film and we have ideas moving forward.

Ghostbusters II, definitely canon. There are references to Ghostbusters II in Afterlife. We meet Ray working at Ray’s Occult. The toaster from Ghostbusters II is in the kitchen in the farmhouse. There’s actually lots of lost of Ghostbusters II details but nobody knows Ghostbusters II outside of Vigo the Carpathian and the Ghostbusters II logo. So there’s this assumption that it is not canon but it is definitely canon.
As for Grooberson's line. Who will you believe, a fan or a Ghostbuster? As far as Grooberson knew, there wasn't a ghost sighting in 30 years. Just how closely was he monitoring paranormal activity in NYC for him to make that statement? In the USA? The world? Let's just say "30" is totally accurate, then 1991,activity started to decline and as Ray mentions there were less and less calls a week. So along with that, Ghostbusters were less in the news and less people would go around talking about their ghost encounters. So a false positive in a way, if everyone stops talking about ghosts and there's less press coverage then it seems like there were no ghost sightings.

Did Podcast wear a sensory cap from GB2? I recall he wore the Aura Video-Analyzer colander from GB1 that was used on possessed Louis.

Jason suggests Ecto-1 and 1a are on in the same. And we know that one of the cars turned into Ecto-1 for filming was the Ecto-1a Sony had in storage. And the more eagle eyed fans can tell which scenes have the former 1a car.
fusi0n, Kingpin, deadderek liked this
mrmichaelt wrote: January 9th, 2022, 1:24 am Was it ignored? No. It was there on the periphery.
Okay, poor choice of words, probably should swap "entirely" out for something.
mrmichaelt wrote: January 9th, 2022, 1:24 am Jason Reitman:
I wish I could talk to you about [Egon deciding to repaint the Ghostbusters II logo on the Ecto-1.]
Jason suggests Ecto-1 and 1a are on in the same. And we know that one of the cars turned into Ecto-1 for filming was the Ecto-1a Sony had in storage. And the more eagle eyed fans can tell which scenes have the former 1a car.
Thanks for clarifying, obviously missed this interview. I'm glad it's canon, just sad it feels like it's not noted as much. They did save the world twice right?
Sav C wrote: And the Giga Meter made an appearance as well.
I mentioned this in my list of things that are from GB2.
deadderek wrote: *eyeroll*
Very informative. Sorry, just kinda glance over your posts anyway, reminds me of a user named "DeadDavey" who blatantly used my logo for a fanfilm without my permission.

Just remember Ray's Occult was "before" the events of Vigo (does that make sense). So it just felt like they were thrown in as a cameo or "nod" to the fans. I just felt angered and that it wasn't taken as seriously I guess.

Just feels like they were thrown in homage to GB2, but I'm glad it's canon, just taken a backseat.

Thanks for the replies.
fusi0n wrote: January 8th, 2022, 10:18 pm - Grooberson mentions the 80s were walking dead. But if Ray said they were busting for a while, calls died down to once a week. Since the GB2 event was on the turn of NYE leading into the 90s. Therefore, the 90s were also time of the walking dead. At least til mid-90s I would have thought unless the activity died down within what, a year?
1989/1990 probably marked the last of the peak of the paranormal activity in New York. The business may've been steady enough through the start of the 1990s, but as Ray indicated, business was trailing off.
fusi0n wrote: January 8th, 2022, 10:18 pm- No mention of Vigo, 'a painting', or the huge amount of pink slime that possessed things underneath NYC?
If it didn't serve the purpose of advancing the plot, would it have been necessary to reference Vigo?
fusi0n wrote: January 8th, 2022, 10:18 pm- The car in Egon's possession was the Ecto-1 not the Ecto-1A. If Egon took it, why would it be their old model?
Because the guys turned Ecto-1A back into Ecto-1.
fusi0n wrote: January 8th, 2022, 10:18 pm- Podcast wears the sensory cap that Ray and Egon wore when analysing the pink slime.
Podcast is wearing the sensor helmet worn by Dana and Vinz Clortho.
deadderek, mrmichaelt liked this
As soon as Jason said the movie would follow the first 2 people should have dropped the bizarre rumor GB2 wasn't canon. The director himself cleared that up years ago at this point.
Kingpin, elussya liked this
While the toaster in the kitchen is supposed to be toaster from the second film it actually is not the same prop or even style but the "thought" is there. Giga Meter, book store, it being 30 years from GB2 when Grooberson says " there hasn't been a ghost sighting in 30 years" so yes its not ignored, just wasn't the focus of the story as Gozer returns, not Vigo related threats.
Kingpin wrote: January 17th, 2022, 2:41 pm
One time wrote: January 17th, 2022, 2:24 pm Even the Rookie (Bryan Welsh) from GBTVG is in Afterlife
How so?
I'm making a list now of all the Easter eggs some people (may have) missed. I'll post it in a concentrated
"Afterlife Deep Appreciation/Easter Eggs" post or something similar people can add to, as they tend to get lost in the overall Afterlife feedback thread, is that ok?
One time wrote: January 17th, 2022, 3:00 pm
Kingpin wrote: January 17th, 2022, 2:41 pm

How so?
I'm making a list now of all the Easter eggs some people (may have) missed. I'll post it in a concentrated
"Afterlife Deep Appreciation/Easter Eggs" post or something similar people can add to, as they tend to get lost in the overall Afterlife feedback thread, is that ok?

You can't TRHOW that BOMB and leave us in the dark like that lol! Looking forward for that Post, but please it woudl be really apreciated if you can explain the Rookie one here please :D
Davideverona wrote: January 17th, 2022, 9:31 pm
One time wrote: January 17th, 2022, 8:44 pm I added it here:

viewtopic.php?f=108&t=49049&p=4965541#p4965541

Take a close look just after Winston says: "I started this business with one employee". Look at the guy driving the Ecto-1 into the firehouse in the post credits scene.
We don't see him.
That almost shaved head and those ears. The same way we see him in GBTVG. Not his face but just the silhouette.

While waiting impatiently for Frozen Empire to rel[…]

Make it that pack, sell it for $599. (While I […]

Yeah, we've been building this thing for ten[…]

Someone on FB found it. NARDA ELECTROMAGNETIC RADI[…]